• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 21
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4622 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
Aeternis

Puzzle Pirates Easter Quiz [Winners and Solutions posted] Reply to this Post

Yarrhoys,

It's time to quiz again. Stevensam made some great quizzes in the past and as it's Easter, I thought it's time for another quiz. This time with some eggcelent questions and prizes.
Please do not discuss questions and answers while the quiz still runs and understand that I won't answer any questions relating the questions to keep it fair.

Prizes:
Each participant qualifies only for 1 prize. Each prize will be raffled:
Between all participants who answered all questions correctly: A Verdant Class Sloop and a commemorative trinket
Between all participants with the most correct answers: One of 3 plain sloops and a commemorative trinket

Every participant who provides a valid answer for question 12 receives a commemorative trinket. These will be published after the quiz is over.

Puzzle Pirates Easter Quiz

Deadline is on April 21st 11.59 pm PDT

This event is open to all English oceans (Cerulean, Emerald, Meridian) and Jade.

Opal players do have the same quiz in German.

To prevent confusion:
Questions 2-6 are referring to real life stuff.
Questions 7-11 are referring to YPP.
----------------------------------------
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Aeternis at May 1, 2014 1:23:38 PM]
[Apr 4, 2014 2:04:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
uppy_pay

Re: Puzzle Pirates Easter Quiz Reply to this Post

ow my head! >_<
Kattles, where it counts. (Cerulean)
[Apr 12, 2014 2:16:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

Can I join this quiz twice?
I found a better answer to question 12!!
Bisca - Emerald & Obsidian

Avvy by: Wayfarer
[Apr 15, 2014 4:21:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

No, only one entry per pirate.

[Apr 15, 2014 5:04:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
OtherJenny

Thanks for seting this Quiz Aeternis/Locu.

My family and I had great fun trying to find the answers, good luck everyone.
UK based so on GMT Time, but Happy to log on @ Silly O Clock for Trades.
Happy to FREE chart Polite Pirates
[Apr 21, 2014 1:34:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

I want to thank all of you 48 participants! I will post the results with some statistics on the weekend. In the meantime please vote for your favorite egg-phrase in this thread:
Easter Egg Phrase Poll

[Apr 22, 2014 12:56:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
OtherJenny

Could you Please post the answers to your Easter Quiz ? not asking for who the winner is! Just the answers to Qs 1 to 11 ….. Please ?
[Apr 28, 2014 4:13:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

I really hope that no one got question 1 wrong, cause it's the one that really causes trouble when wrong.

Basically it is posting, and explaining the answers that takes time, not announcing the winners which I could do already but prefer to have everything at one time.

I will be done with that (in 2 languages) on Thursday, so please be patient 2 more days.

[Apr 29, 2014 1:12:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Sorry for the delay, but sometimes there are other things intervening.
So first things first and so a big thank you to all 48 participants and Clotho and Thalia for all the work with the prizes (and the transfer of approx. 50 trinkets to other oceans).
Before I tell you who won, I will explain the questions and give some statistical stuff about the answers.

Question 1: What's your pirate name and ocean? *
I have to assume that everybody got this right. If someone booched it he will receive no prize.
100% correct answers.

Question 2: What's the earliest possible date for Easter Sunday? *
The first possible date for Easter Sunday is March 22 nd. It is always on the first Sunday after the first spring full moon which can happen earliest on March 21 st. As the orthodox churches are never earlier than the western church, this is indeed the first possible date for the holiday.
98% correct answers

Question 3: In what year was the mechanism decided that determines the date of Easter every year? *
The date was decided about at the council of Nicea in 325.
81% correct answers

Question 4: What did the heaviest chocolate Easter Egg weigh? *

The heaviest chocolate Easter Egg up to date was 7200 kg, which is 7.2 kg and 15873 lbs. and was built 2011 in Italy. There is another egg from 2012 from Argentina which had 7.5 t but wasn’t approved by the Guiness Book of World Records, but as nobody had that answer there was no need to consider it valid.
63 % correct answers

Question 5: How many people have participated in the biggest Egg Hunt Competition ever? *
This question was a tricky one. Many of you answered 9753 children + parents as this was the biggest easter egg hunt. The question actually was for the biggest Egg Hunt COMPETITION which was the Faberge Egghunt 2012 in London which hat 12773 participants.
More than 12k is no valid answer as you could have written more than 1 and be correct in the same instance.
27 % correct answers
Question 6: In which country were the first chocolate Easter bunnies produced?
The first chocolate bunnies were produced in Germany in the 18th century. While the hollow bunnies were indeed produced in the US last century they weren’t the first. Also there’s great chocolate in Switzerland the first bunnies didn’t originate there. While some of the regions that are reported for the first bunnies are in France now, they weren’t part of France back then, so I did not accept France for an answer (this didn’t lead to anybody losing a prize). As Europe is not a country, this is not a valid answer.
79 % correct answers
Question 7: In what order were the eggs in the following picture drawn? (for the picture, not the historical order for implementation in the game - click on the link)

This was indeed a tricky question, obviously even for Greylady herself ;). I would never ask for anything that didn’t have some ‘evidence’ on the web and so there have been 2 valid answers depending on source:
“In alpha order” would be correct according to the event thread: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=190486&offset=80#2583261
As an alternative the order given on Greylady’s User-Page: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/User:CapnKkatz/Egg_Heads
It was also okay to just post the OMs in no particular order as long as the order of the work in progress shots in the first linked thread was maintained.
23% correct answers

Question 8: What production ocean has seen most the Easter Sundays and how many Easter Sundays have that been. (for example: Atlantic Ocean 2000) *

This question led to some confusion about the definition of a production ocean. Production oceans are those oceans that are the real gaming oceans, no test oceans. It does not matter if a production ocean is active, so all valid Oceans would be:
Midnight, Cobalt, Meridian, Hunter, Sage, Malachite, Crimson, Jade, Opal, Cerulean, Emerald and Viridian.
Azure, Ice and Periwinkle – Oceans are not production Oceans.
The next thing is, that while 2 oceans merged into a new one, they ceased to exist as an ocean at the merge. So the numbers that are to consider are Midnight with 8 Easter Sundays and Opal with 7 Easter Sundays.
All other oceans (Cerulean is not Midnight and Azure is not Midnight either even though they have the same layout) had less Easter Sundays to celebrate.
So the correct answer is Midnight 8. As I didn’t specify that this year’s Easter is not excluded and it didn’t lead to someone losing a prize, I accepted Opal 7 AND Opal 8 as valid answers as well.
21 % correct answers (midnight 8 only), 23% answers including Opal 7/8 as well.

Question 9: Who (piratename) designed most Easter eggs? *
Greylady designed the most Easter eggs. While Rhodin designed more eggs overall, the question was specifically aimed for Easter Eggs.
77 % correct answers

Question 10: How many (unique) eggs are ingame at the moment? (April 4th 2014) *
There are 143 unique eggs in the game at the moment. This year’s eggs went live before the quiz launched, so they do count, even though they have not been in YPPedia all the time.
You could always add the 2014 eggs from the competition thread.
As it was not asked for Easter eggs or this year’s eggs, 9, 12 or 100 wasn’t correct either.
33 % correct answers

Question 11: How many unique eggs are shown in the following picture: (click on the link)

This was probably the meanest question as I had exactly one egg twice on the picture. There are 48 eggs shown, but with Selenn‘s prize-winning egg twice in the picture, the correct answer was 47.
40 % correct answers.

After you read through now all my explanations you deserve to know the winners:
Only 1 pirate had all questions right and so the winner of the Verdant Sloop is Franclincain of Meridian.
There were 2 pirates with 9 correct answers and so the first 2 sloops go to Quansha of Emerald and Zocpiare of Emerald.
As there was no one with 8 correct answers, the 3 rd sloop is raffled between all pirates with 7 answers. Those were:
Tardistwo, Pizzahutpete, Ladychic, Pauseypaul, Ryujin, Lucipurr, Rechiva
After a short visit of random.org, I received:
There were 7 items in your list. Here they are in random order:
1. Lucipurr
2. Pauseypaul
3. Rechiva
4. Tardistwo
5. Ryujin
6. Ladychic
7. Pizzahutpete
Timestamp: 2014-05-01 18:10:32 UTC

So congratulations to Lucipurr of Emerald

As you surely know there was also Question 12 which yields a trinket for every player giving a valid answer.
44 of 48 pirates tried to answer the question and so all those will receive a trinket in their inventory over the next days. Please note that I awarded all of those entries a trinket, but only 34 of those were of the form the question demanded.
The full list of phrases will be found in the post after this, Winners will be found in the other thread.

[May 1, 2014 1:22:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

12. Create a sentence of at least 5 words. Each word has to start with "egg". The words don't have to be written originally with those letters but must be pronounced that way. Be creative.
1 Eggonomic eggsecutives eggcised eggsangulous eggs eggstra eggueles; eggsasperated Egguato-Guineans eggshibited eggceptional eggritude. (Economic executives excised exangulous eggs extra ekueles; exasperated Equato-Guineans exhibited exceptional egritude.)
2 Eggsplaining eggactly eggstra eggcellent egg eggpressions? Eggshausting!
3 Eggbert excitedly exaggerated exactly, Eggheads eggbeating, examples Eggface’s, exasperatingly expert explosive exploratory expedition of eggplant foraging. Eggface is an excellent exotic eggcatcher, but egged on by Eggbert, and a few eggnogs later! Exasperation leads to an exceedingly nasty storm in an eggcup. Excitable Eggbert exclaimed dismay! At Eggheads eggtimer! The seasonal ocean master Edgyegg said after examination ‘Time was up’. The eggdrop was in Eggheads favour! Excitement as Egghead holds the Eggy Eggcup!
4 Eggcelent Eggstravagant Eggsercise Eggspands Eggsplorer Eggspertise
5 Eggcellent egghunt Eggton Egghunter, EGG! Translation: Excellent egghunt Eggton Egghunter( name of pirate) EGG ( ARR)
6 Eggcellently, eggceptional neggligence, thredggs egg-filled weggbs. Translation: Excellently, exceptional negligence threads egg-filled webs.
7 Eggnormous, Eggtravagant, Eggtastic Eggster Eggs! (Translation: Enormous, Extravagant, Fantastic Easter Eggs!)
8 Eggregiously Eggcellent Eggsplorers Eggsploit Eggactly !
9 Eggcellent eggocentric eggheads eggzamine eggrarious eggxams.
10 Eggstatic (fantastic) eggos (egos) eggte (ate) Eggron's (Aaron's) eggephant (elephant).
11 yehegg eggtivation ofeggseable eggserlent egg
12 Egbert excitedly examined Egnatius' excellent exchange exposing exotic exorcists exorcising extreme extraterrestrial exercising expectant eggplants.
13 Eggcellent Eggle Eggaggerated Eggheads eggspultion egging eggle eggain
14 EGGcuse me? But How EGGactly do you EGGpect me to write an EGGcellent EGGy sentence without using other words starting with EGG... This is EGGasperating!!
15 no
16 exasperated eggheads examine exaggerated eggplants exactly
17 An eggstremeley informative quiz, eggcellent eggsperience eggsamining the Eggaster Sunday Holiday.
18 Egg-sotic eggsyclopedias egg-shibit egg-strodinary egg-sperimental egg-sercise egg-amples. (Exotic encyclopaedias exhibit extraordinary experimental exercise examples.)
19 Extraordinarily, egg-headed ex-husbands exhibit exemplary excuses.
20 eggstravagantly, Eggbert eggnited eggstra eggcitement ( extravagantly, Egbert ignited extra excitement)
21 Eggstravagantly eggsellent eggs eggscuse eggsperimental eggsplosions.
22 Eggcelent eggstraordinary eggeliciouss egged eggbasket.
23 Eggstracting Eggselent Eggsalad Eggspanced Eggstravagant Eggscuses.
24 eggceedingly eggcellent eggsample.. eggsageration eggcepted (exceedingly excellent example.. exaggeration excepted)
25 eggleston's eggsactly eggsellent eggseleration is eggceptionally eggsasperating
26 Exactly! Exalt eggplants egging egg-headed eglantines.
27 Egbert Egged Egder's Eggs Eggxtra Eggcellently!
28 Egg-cited
29 Eggcelent eggxecutives eggregiously eggsplode eggstravagantly.
30 Eggtastic eggztravaganza eggsplodes eggzamples eggzplained
31 eggstra eggcersize eggxacts eggstra eggstasy (extra exercise exacts extra ecstasy)
32 eggbert iggs eggstatic eggabout eaggster eggy-quizzes!
33 Eggcellently eggloquently eggaggled eggor eggan eggquisite egg.
34 Extinct (egg-stinct) eggs exhaust (egg-haust) excellent (egg-celent) eggbeaters.
35 An eggling got exaggeratedly egged, exellently.
36 Eggheads Egged Egg's Eggbeating Eggplant
37 Actually excellent eggtastic eggish eggrelated eggs! (This is impossibru!)
38 Eggspertly Eggcellent Eggs Eggsit Eggregiously.
39 Extra existentialists exist expertly, exuberantly, existentially.
40 Exacting excellence exhibits exaggerated exacerbation.
41 eggspect eggstremely eggnormous egg eggsplosions! (expect extremely enormous egg explosions)
42 Extraordinary extraterrestrials expect exciting explosions exisit. Excellent!
43 Eggregiously eggotistical eggalitarians eggceptionally eggceed eggumenical eggonomic eggspectations.
44 Excavators exited with the exhumed eggs, exhausted, but excited.
45 Eggcelent eggs eggsclude eggs eggcuding eggcrements.
46 Eggbeater Eggheads Egged Eggshells

[May 1, 2014 1:23:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
OtherJenny

12. Create a sentence of at least 5 words. Each word has to start with "egg". The words don't have to be written originally with those letters but must be pronounced that way. Be creative.
1 Eggonomic eggsecutives eggcised eggsangulous eggs eggstra eggueles; eggsasperated Egguato-Guineans eggshibited eggceptional eggritude. (Economic executives excised exangulous eggs extra ekueles; exasperated Equato-Guineans exhibited exceptional egritude.)
2 Eggsplaining eggactly eggstra eggcellent egg eggpressions? Eggshausting!
3 Eggbert excitedly exaggerated exactly, Eggheads eggbeating, examples Eggface?s, exasperatingly expert explosive exploratory expedition of eggplant foraging. Eggface is an excellent exotic eggcatcher, but egged on by Eggbert, and a few eggnogs later! Exasperation leads to an exceedingly nasty storm in an eggcup. Excitable Eggbert exclaimed dismay! At Eggheads eggtimer! The seasonal ocean master Edgyegg said after examination ?Time was up?. The eggdrop was in Eggheads favour! Excitement as Egghead holds the Eggy Eggcup!4 Eggcelent Eggstravagant Eggsercise Eggspands Eggsplorer Eggspertise
5 Eggcellent egghunt Eggton Egghunter, EGG! Translation: Excellent egghunt Eggton Egghunter( name of pirate) EGG ( ARR)
6 Eggcellently, eggceptional neggligence, thredggs egg-filled weggbs. Translation: Excellently, exceptional negligence threads egg-filled webs.
7 Eggnormous, Eggtravagant, Eggtastic Eggster Eggs! (Translation: Enormous, Extravagant, Fantastic Easter Eggs!)
8 Eggregiously Eggcellent Eggsplorers Eggsploit Eggactly !
9 Eggcellent eggocentric eggheads eggzamine eggrarious eggxams.
10 Eggstatic (fantastic) eggos (egos) eggte (ate) Eggron's (Aaron's) eggephant (elephant).
11 yehegg eggtivation ofeggseable eggserlent egg
12 Egbert excitedly examined Egnatius' excellent exchange exposing exotic exorcists exorcising extreme extraterrestrial exercising expectant eggplants.
13 Eggcellent Eggle Eggaggerated Eggheads eggspultion egging eggle eggain
14 EGGcuse me? But How EGGactly do you EGGpect me to write an EGGcellent EGGy sentence without using other words starting with EGG... This is EGGasperating!!
15 no
16 exasperated eggheads examine exaggerated eggplants exactly
17 An eggstremeley informative quiz, eggcellent eggsperience eggsamining the Eggaster Sunday Holiday.
18 Egg-sotic eggsyclopedias egg-shibit egg-strodinary egg-sperimental egg-sercise egg-amples. (Exotic encyclopaedias exhibit extraordinary experimental exercise examples.)
19 Extraordinarily, egg-headed ex-husbands exhibit exemplary excuses.
20 eggstravagantly, Eggbert eggnited eggstra eggcitement ( extravagantly, Egbert ignited extra excitement)
21 Eggstravagantly eggsellent eggs eggscuse eggsperimental eggsplosions.
22 Eggcelent eggstraordinary eggeliciouss egged eggbasket.
23 Eggstracting Eggselent Eggsalad Eggspanced Eggstravagant Eggscuses.
24 eggceedingly eggcellent eggsample.. eggsageration eggcepted (exceedingly excellent example.. exaggeration excepted)
25 eggleston's eggsactly eggsellent eggseleration is eggceptionally eggsasperating
26 Exactly! Exalt eggplants egging egg-headed eglantines.
27 Egbert Egged Egder's Eggs Eggxtra Eggcellently!
28 Egg-cited
29 Eggcelent eggxecutives eggregiously eggsplode eggstravagantly.
30 Eggtastic eggztravaganza eggsplodes eggzamples eggzplained
31 eggstra eggcersize eggxacts eggstra eggstasy (extra exercise exacts extra ecstasy)
32 eggbert iggs eggstatic eggabout eaggster eggy-quizzes!
33 Eggcellently eggloquently eggaggled eggor eggan eggquisite egg.
34 Extinct (egg-stinct) eggs exhaust (egg-haust) excellent (egg-celent) eggbeaters.
35 An eggling got exaggeratedly egged, exellently.
36 Eggheads Egged Egg's Eggbeating Eggplant
37 Actually excellent eggtastic eggish eggrelated eggs! (This is impossibru!)
38 Eggspertly Eggcellent Eggs Eggsit Eggregiously.
39 Extra existentialists exist expertly, exuberantly, existentially.
40 Exacting excellence exhibits exaggerated exacerbation.
41 eggspect eggstremely eggnormous egg eggsplosions! (expect extremely enormous egg explosions)
42 Extraordinary extraterrestrials expect exciting explosions exisit. Excellent!
43 Eggregiously eggotistical eggalitarians eggceptionally eggceed eggumenical eggonomic eggspectations.
44 Excavators exited with the exhumed eggs, exhausted, but excited.
45 Eggcelent eggs eggsclude eggs eggcuding eggcrements.
46 Eggbeater Eggheads Egged Eggshells

I made mine more of a story oh well I failed! Congrats to the winners, it was fun trying...... passes some Eggnog to everyone.
[May 1, 2014 2:17:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

Thanks for the fun Locu :)
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[May 1, 2014 5:13:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

Sorry for the delay, but sometimes there are other things intervening.
Only one pirate had all questions right and so the winner of the Verdant Sloop is Franklincain of Meridian.

*(does the happy dance)*
:-D

Thank you for hosting such a fun, brain-teasing challenge! I hope everyone else had as much fun investigating the answers as I did.

Thanks,
Franklin
Franklin W. Cain (Pirate FranklinCain on Meridian and other Oceans)
[May 1, 2014 11:35:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
OdensVrede

thanks =)
Lucipurr on emerald
[May 2, 2014 4:07:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

I made mine more of a story oh well I failed! Congrats to the winners, it was fun trying...... passes some Eggnog to everyone.

The text said "All words have to start with egg" so I had to remove the entries using filler words.

[May 2, 2014 4:16:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hammer1

Great event locu .... I thought the point of a quiz was to know the answers and not look them up?
Blackhammer.
[May 2, 2014 4:49:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quansha

Re: Puzzle Pirates Easter Quiz [Winners and Solutions posted] Reply to this Post

Thanks for a fun quiz, I really enjoyed making the eggy sentence :)
Quansha on Emerald
[May 2, 2014 4:54:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
OtherJenny

The text said "All words have to start with egg" so I had to remove the entries using filler words.

OK! I am realy confused now, mine did start with Egg & was included... in the voting, so was not removed.... anyway as I said Congrats to all:))
[Edit 2 times, last edit by OtherJenny at May 2, 2014 6:37:02 AM]
[May 2, 2014 6:30:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

Sorry for possibly being a newbie.
What is the trinket that is been gifted for this event?
I have too much trinkets in my booty panel so I kinda wanna find it..
And what is the other thread you meant?

Love, Bisca
Bisca - Emerald & Obsidian

Avvy by: Wayfarer
[May 2, 2014 10:38:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Re: Puzzle Pirates Easter Quiz [Winners and Solutions posted] Reply to this Post

It will take a while till they are delivered, but they are all egg-themed (or easter cause I thought it so cute):
Spring-Hatchling, Eggbasket or Velveteen Pirabbit are the trinkets depending on what you got it for.

[May 2, 2014 12:06:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

just an update on the ship names. You might have to trade them back and forth to an alt to be able to access them properly if you have been offline when they appeared in your inventory.

Emerald:
Lucipurr - Childlike Pike, Admiral
Quansha - Educated Whitebait, Kasidim
Zocpiare - Snooty Marlin, Admiral

Meridian:
Franklincain - Coniferous Mummichog, Tigerleaf Mountain

[May 15, 2014 1:42:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates