• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 47
Posts: 47   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12491 times and has 46 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

EGGS! Design Furniture for the Game [Announcing the winners!] Reply to this Post

"Eggs, Eggs!"

It's Time To Design Egg Furniture!

The wait is now ova! Here's your chance to design Eggs to become furniture items in the game. We need you to design us the most awesome Eggs you can, and we'll be picking out the best designs to put into the game. Remember that you have to design the flat square design that will then be rendered onto an egg shape - you don't design a finished egg-shaped design.

Post your entries in the Entry thread here

-- Include your design in your entry post as an image, using image tags .
-- Images must be 256 x 256 pixels
-- Images must be .png format
-- Include pirate name and ocean in your post
-- If you have a preference on whether your egg (if chosen) is purchaseable or unpurchaseable, make sure to mention this as well.
-- You can enter up to 8 designs each. These must all be in a single post - edit your post to change or add designs.

To post an image:
-- Save your image at the correct size as a .png image on your computer
-- Upload it to a website - either your own webspace, or use one of the main free sites such as www.putfile.com, www.imageshack.com, www.photobucket.com, etc, and get the url for the image on that site.
-- Ensure that your image is not in a private area that requires log-in to view. Get a mate to check they can see it with your url.
-- In your entry post, enclose the url in image tags as shown here and here
-- PREVIEW BEFORE POSTING - if the image isn't showing on preview, check your url and tags.
-- Remember to add your pirate name and ocean before posting.

Tips and tricks and links and things:
-- Your design should be able to 'wrap' - this means that the two sides of the design should join up seamlessly with no discontinuity where the two sides meet. Test this by laying two copies of your design side by side and check if it has an unsightly seam running down the egg. Please note that while we encourage artists to present seamless designs, a seam is acceptable as long as the egg looks good when rendered. If you are unable to make a seamless design no matter how hard you try, submit the entry anyway if you feel your design is good!
-- Remember the shape-changing effect of putting your design round an egg. A design that looks sensible in a square template could look strange on the final egg model. Keep in mind that your design may be rotated for the final egg.
-- The scene also really burns out the details, so make the whole thing slightly darker than you would think. Slightly!
-- Keep it simple. The design has to work on a relatively small object, make sure your design shines through.
--This YPPedia page shows the winning Easter eggs from 2006 to 2013.

These links are included not just as a reminder of previous entries, but also because the threads contain a lot of useful information, and probably answer most of the questions that are likely to come up this year!

2013: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2012: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2011: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2010: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2009: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions .. People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2008: event thread -- entry thread -- entries rendered versions -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2007: event thread -- entry thread -- entries rendered versions
2006: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions

TUTORIALS!
-- Silveransom's egg tutorial for Blender
-- Adrielle's egg tutorial for 3DS 2010
-- Silveransom's 2008 egg reference template thread
-- Silveransom's egg rendering tutorial or the simpler 2008 updated version here
-- Ponytailguy's tutorial for testing the designs in 3DS-MAX
-- Inghild's tutorial for testing your own egg designs using Povray
-- Greylady's Photoshop tutorial to reposition your skin image and "wrap" it by a given number of pixels

RENDERING!
-- In previous years, there have been kind folk willing and able to host a "Test Rendering Thread", which allows people who don't have access to appropriate software the chance to see their designs rendered and tweak them before deciding their final entries. If you want to see your design rendered on to an egg shape before posting it as an official entry, try this thread set up by Greylady.

These threads where designs from previous years were tested before being finalized - take a look - it will give you lots of ideas for what works and what doesn't!
-- 2013 rendering test thread
-- 2012 rendering test thread
-- 2011 rendering test thread
-- 2010 rendering test thread
-- 2009 rendering test thread
-- 2008 rendering test thread
-- 2007 rendering test thread
-- Guppymomma's Rendered Eggs thread from 2006

-- If you want a copy of the basic egg mesh file, you can get it from YPPedia here, or link to the file directly here. It's linked from http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Egg. You can use this if you wish to test your design and you have a 3D modeling program. Note that you do not need to do this to enter - just if you want to try it out yourself.
-- If you're keen to test it, there are easy downloads of 30 days free trial versions of some 3D modeling software (e.g. 3D studio max or Blender). You may need a renderer plug-in.
-- Quick instructions on how to get the correct viewpoint for the eggs are here.

I'm not an expert with these bits of software, so if there are updated instructions I should link to or other useful tutorials I may have missed, I'll be happy to edit these in! Thanks again to those people who have helped in the past with rendering and YPPedia pages, and to those who (I hope!) will do so this year, thanks in advance. This Eggomelet wouldn't be the same without you all!

The deadline for egg designs is Sunday, March 2nd, 2014 - 11:59 PM game time.
If yours is one of the winning designs chosen, your prize is to get your design created as a bit of in-game furniture, and you'll be given a couple of eggs in your design and the Gilded Egg trophy if you don't already have it.

Go forth and lay eggs!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 8 times, last edit by Clotho at Mar 12, 2014 4:28:14 PM]
[Feb 4, 2014 8:37:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GoreJackFan

Re: EGGS! Design Furniture for the Game [Deadine: March 2nd, 2014] Reply to this Post

wooohoooo been waiting for this all year. now i can re submit my bunny one that got peoples choice
Gorev - Emerald
[Feb 5, 2014 7:15:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    MechanicGurl04 [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Re: EGGS! Design Furniture for the Game [Deadine: March 2nd, 2014] Reply to this Post

A rendering thread to test your designs has been started. Thank you Greylady!
[Feb 6, 2014 8:44:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

wooohoooo been waiting for this all year. now i can re submit my bunny one that got peoples choice

I cannot seem to find the peoples choice link to see which of mine I should try to re-enter...what was the post called can you remember?
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Feb 6, 2014 9:16:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GoreJackFan

Ok I found it after a few minutes People's Choice Easter Eggs! 2013 Winners
Gorev - Emerald
[Feb 6, 2014 9:56:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    MechanicGurl04 [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

thank you Gorev ^_^ Apparently my Forum-fu isn't all that great
[Feb 6, 2014 1:59:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

/me points at linkys in the OP :)
Oh ignore me! It's the People's Choice... I should add those links too. If there's a good-hearted volunteer that has time to compile a list, I'll add them to the OP.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Clotho at Feb 6, 2014 3:48:39 PM]
[Feb 6, 2014 3:47:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GoreJackFan

Ok here they are

People's Choice Easter Eggs! 2010
People's Choice Easter Eggs! 2011
People's Choice Easter Eggs! 2012
People's Choice Easter Eggs! 2013
Gorev - Emerald
[Feb 6, 2014 3:57:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    MechanicGurl04 [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Wow, thank you very much! I've added those, along with 2008 and 2009 to the OP. It's raining eggs!
[Feb 6, 2014 4:33:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

About the file names being changed when being uploaded to Photobucket... I think the solution might be found under:

User Settings > Privacy > deselect File Name Scrambling if it is selected.

Maybe try that.
Dexla d'Midnight
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dexla at Feb 10, 2014 7:32:31 AM]
[Feb 10, 2014 7:32:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

For those of you who use Photoshop, here is a method you might want to use. It allows you to reposition your skin image and basically "wrap" it by a given number of pixels. Here is an example:

1. Open your skin file:

2. Select Filter/Show All Menu Items

3. Select Other/Offset

4. Set Horizontal to the number of pixels you want to wrap your image. Positive number will move your image to the right, negative number to the left. Make sure Vertical is set to 0 and that "Wrap" is selected.

Your image will be wrapped by the number of pixels you entered. You can now see whether or not your image has a seem ... or just use it to reposition your image for a better view on the egg.

Hope this helps! :)
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Edit 1 times, last edit by CapnKkatz at Feb 10, 2014 11:33:09 AM]
[Feb 10, 2014 9:57:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bellahdonna

That was an excellent tutorial, Greylady! It will come in handy for future designs. :D Thanks for posting!

Twilah on Meridian
[Feb 10, 2014 11:58:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Tutorial added to the OP, thank ye Greylady!
[Feb 10, 2014 12:15:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

wow grey lady thank you so much for that tutorial!!!! <3
[Feb 11, 2014 9:22:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pickypeanut

If I am resubmitting a previous years entry am I supposed to indicate that fact in my entry for this year? Just curious if I need to make that known
---Lastcall--- of Emerald

Forumn avatar made by the talented Frayscarlet :)
[Feb 21, 2014 6:14:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

If I am resubmitting a previous years entry am I supposed to indicate that fact in my entry for this year? Just curious if I need to make that known

Nope, no need to indicate that...just resubmit. :)

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Feb 21, 2014 7:08:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

One week to go mates! Get those eggies scrambled!

[Feb 23, 2014 5:17:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

The deadline is tonight at midnight!
[Mar 2, 2014 6:44:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

Re: EGGS! Design Furniture for the Game [In Judging] Reply to this Post

Craaap! I hate you, Blender. D:

(I was going to put in a white background just to be safe, but I forgot.)

For the record, I die a little bit inside every time one of Twinkle's malachite eggs doesn't win. PLEASE STOP KILLING ME. D:
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

(Imp turned me into a dolly! :D)
[Mar 9, 2014 1:31:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twinkled

Re: EGGS! Design Furniture for the Game [In Judging] Reply to this Post

For the record, I die a little bit inside every time one of Twinkle's malachite eggs doesn't win. PLEASE STOP KILLING ME. D:
*giggles* Me too, funnily enough! I have to keep trying though. :D
Twinkle on Malachite
[Mar 10, 2014 12:13:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Re: EGGS! Design Furniture for the Game [Announcing the winners!] Reply to this Post

Drumroll! Here there be winners!

Dexla's Patterned Egg

Dexla's Easter Weave Egg

Faeree's Pirate Werewolf Egg

Faeree's Royal Egg

Firstround's Vernal Sunrise Egg

Firstround's Pink Amore Egg

Greylady's Curled Hedgehog Egg

Inessa's Ancient Athenian Egg

Lastcall's Stained Glass Egg

Pixelpixie's Golden Ippolito Egg

Rechiva's China Egg

Twinkle's Malachite Egg

Congratulations to all the winners! Please take note that these may not be the final rotations/angles. I don't have information yet on when these will be released, nor on which eggs will be available in the Palace Shoppe, what the prices will be, or which eggs will be events-only. Please note that some of the eggs have changed name, I hope you like it! The prizes and trophy (if you don't already have it) will be delivered as soon as the eggs are in game.

I'm certain you'll find a few surprises amongst the winners :)

If you're not one of the winners picked this year, don't despair - there's always next year. And chances are that one of your eggs was somebody's favorite! Thank you everyone for participating. Special thanks to our eggstraordinary renderers, Greylady and Faeree - this event will not make such a good omelette without you!
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Clotho at Mar 12, 2014 4:48:14 PM]
[Mar 12, 2014 4:26:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilymoon

Re: EGGS! Design Furniture for the Game [Announcing the winners!] Reply to this Post

Yay! Thank ye!! So looking forward to getting them in game! Congrats everyone!!
Faeree ~ Illustrious Wanderer on all oceans ~
Avvie by Tilinka!
Apollo wrote: 
(Is it wrong that I'm now just a tiny bit in love with Faeree's brother?)

[Mar 12, 2014 4:42:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Faeree [Link]  Go to top 
pickypeanut

Can't wait to have them all !
This is so amazing! Congratz to all of this years winners! I am so eggscited to add all these adorable eggs to our collection.
---Lastcall--- of Emerald

Forumn avatar made by the talented Frayscarlet :)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by pickypeanut at Mar 12, 2014 5:05:47 PM]
[Mar 12, 2014 4:57:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

I was scrolling through the list thinking Oooo pink pink pink pink for my house and started typing congratulations to everyone, and then all of a sudden i saw my little Ippo one and almost fell of my chair!!Had to scroll through 3 times just to make sure I wasn;t dreaming!!! THANK YOU so much for picking mine ^_^ I cannot contain my excitement...I think I'm going to draw now I am so happy!!! And off course congratulations to everyone else!!!! And Yaaaayyyyyyy....ok gonna submit now before I make a complete fool of myself from my excitement ^_^
[Mar 12, 2014 5:54:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Wow, it's finally the year of the malachite egg! Congrats, everyone.
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

Dexla drew it.
[Mar 12, 2014 6:00:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Firstroundz

!!!! AMG!!! Wow! This just made my day! week! year! lol :D Thanks!!! :D And congratz to all the winners!! I cant wait to add them all to our collection!! :D
Firstround on Emerald
[Mar 12, 2014 6:15:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GoreJackFan

congrats to every1
Gorev - Emerald
[Mar 12, 2014 7:25:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    MechanicGurl04 [Link]  Go to top 
Bellahdonna

Congratulations to all of the egg-cellent winners. ^_^ Designing eggs isn't as easy as it seems. A great big humongous THANKS again to the folks who were rendering eggs for everyone too!

Twilah on Meridian
[Mar 12, 2014 8:33:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Oh my! Thank you so much for selecting two of my designs this year! This is always one of the most fun and exciting contests run. Congrats to all of the winners and a heartfelt hug to those whose weren't selected this year- been there many times too - so I know you just have to keep trying!
A thousand thanks to Greylady and Faeree for your incredibly fast renderings, and patience. We'd be lost without you!
Dexla d'Midnight
[Mar 12, 2014 8:44:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Ohhh! Thanks so much for selecting my little Hedgie! (Hedgehogs have been very, very good to me this year, lol!)

I must say, I absolutely LOVE all of the winners, congrats mates! So glad I've been saving up my PoE, as I'll just have to buy them all! I DO hope there's someway I can win the non-purchasable egg(s) though, as I'd hate to not have a full clutch of these egg-cellet eggies!

[Mar 12, 2014 9:21:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 47   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates