• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3421 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Captaintimbo

Changes to how standing increases? Reply to this Post

Backstory - I played YPP from 2005-2007. I had multiple expert/ultimates, I was fairly decent at the game. I stopped playing until last week, which I forgot any of my pirate info so I'm starting fresh.

Problem - I'm doing my favorite puzzle. Shipwrightery. I've currently gotten 12 "excellent" duty reports in a row, and yet it refuses to budge from distinguished. It's kind of depressing me. I used to get increds constantly, doing the same thing I'm doing now, but I've yet to get an incredible in any puzzle even when the meter is running quick gold from point A to B.

Question - What have they done to make it so difficult to get your standing up, or even get incredibles in puzzles since 07? I was GM bilge by solid before. Can't even break master this go around :(

Please don't mistake this for a complaint thread, I'm just trying to figure out why it has changed so much, or perhaps nothing has changed and I'm bad at the game. Emerald Ocean if that means anything.
[Jan 8, 2014 5:30:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Re: Changes to how standing increases? Reply to this Post

Question - What have they done to make it so difficult to get your standing up, or even get incredibles in puzzles since 07? I was GM bilge by solid before. Can't even break master this go around :(.

Two reasons:
1) No matter what your memory is like, you've probably lost a few of the instincts you need, and more importantly
2) The ratio of experienced to new players is now much more in the experienced area. Your ranking is determined by how many players you're better than... we got better while you were away.
----------------------------------------
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Jan 8, 2014 6:11:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

In my experience, the scoring curve of shipwrightin has become much harder since OOO released the limited edition ships. There is also a nasty catch-22. You can't score well until you get two 5-square pieces, but you don't get two 5-square peices until you score well. Even then, most players score near the maximum, so it takes a lot of high-Excellent or Incredibles to go up to Renowned, and low-Ecellents may just barely get you Master (two levels above where you are now).

Make sure you productively use all of the "overtime" that the game give you after you place the last piece.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Jan 8, 2014 6:30:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Captaintimbo

Hmmm so scoring is directly related to other pirates on said ocean? Honestly, I never knew that. Would make sense, but holy crap. The amount of excellent+ puzzles I need to get to get off distinguished is starting to become comical. Up to 17 now :(

Either way, thanks for the speedy replies, fellow pirates. Happy to know the community is still a well oiled machine!

edit - 25 excellents.... Still distinguished... Just got a Vegas x7 and a vegas x4 in the same match and got excellent. WTF do I have to do for an incredible? I mean come on, YPP!!! Gah
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Captaintimbo at Jan 8, 2014 7:11:14 PM]
[Jan 8, 2014 6:37:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ryujinpp

another thing about shipwrightery (or any crafting puzzle for that matter) which you might want to watch out for.. the quality of your excellent duty report

an excellent duty report could either produce skilled labour or expert labour

if you are getting mostly excellent/skilled, then there are still some improvement to go
but if you are scoring mostly excellent/expert, then you should be on your way to ranking up.. just keep working on it
Galene tells ye, "I reserve the right to not deliver prizes to you anymore in the future :P"
Galene tells ye, "You crashed me 6 times!"

Ryujin on all oceans
[Jan 8, 2014 9:40:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.facebook.com/PuzzlePirates [Link]  Go to top 
Captaintimbo

It's about 50/50 skilled/expert. I'm still trying :) Thanks for the information, guys!

Just want a 2nd 5 piece already so I can get increds.

Meh. I'm insanely discouraged. From Novice to Solid I've gotten Excellent duty reports. I believe some of them should be incredibles.... Like a x8 Vegas in overtime, but still excellent. Still respected. Impossible to get a 2nd 5 piece. *sighs*

Basing standing off other pirates in the ocean who've been playing for 5+ years is kind of broken. How does anyone stand to increase their rank and get better at a puzzle, if they can't even unlock the only way to get higher ratings in the puzzle?????
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Captaintimbo at Jan 9, 2014 6:40:18 PM]
[Jan 9, 2014 2:16:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bailet

In my experience, the scoring curve of shipwrightin has become much harder since OOO released the limited edition ships. There is also a nasty catch-22. You can't score well until you get two 5-square pieces, but you don't get two 5-square peices until you score well. Even then, most players score near the maximum, so it takes a lot of high-Excellent or Incredibles to go up to Renowned, and low-Ecellents may just barely get you Master (two levels above where you are now).

Make sure you productively use all of the "overtime" that the game give you after you place the last piece.

All crafting puzzles minus distilling have a poor setup as far as scaling difficulty/scoring associated to rank. And we can add Dnav to the infamous list.

Dnav requires more stars. Higher rank = more stars, although you can grind through the stars, it takes a horribly long time to get the ability to provide worthwhile sessions in the long time spent on the station.
Alchem requires higher bottles
Forage requires large chests
Blacksmith is fairly hard to accomplish without all the pieces, believe it or not.
Weaving requires multiple colors.

I wish they would move towards a system where you could either skip to advanced boards or change how you receive the new boards, because of OP's exact reason and your explanation. You can't score well, until you score well.

In relation to OP;
Keep on trucking. Crafting puzzles are the devil when it comes to grinding the ranks, since very few people do them and the ones who do are people generally skilled at it and their alts causing a massive curve on the puzzles. Don't be discouraged, things have just changed since you were last on. And not necessarily for the better. Good luck!
Clotho tells ye, "did you hide the skellies this time?"
OM MESSAGE: Complaining the on-duty OM will only result in another flurry of eggs being sent out into the YPP world. Go #TeamPurple!
Dalnoth's Favorite Pirate
[Jan 9, 2014 7:13:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates