• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 6
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2148 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
escooper

Sub to Dub option Reply to this Post

I know there is a way to convert dubs to subscription time. Is it possible to do the reverse? Can 1 month subscription time be converted to dubs?
----------------------------------------
Samjones (All oceans)
Collector of ships with Mummichog fish name and Moody Adjective.

Be a pirate. Play like a pirate today #puzzlepirates
[Dec 2, 2013 8:55:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Re: Sub to Dub option Reply to this Post

Afraid not, no.
[Dec 2, 2013 11:46:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

I'm pretty sure the only reason that a doub to sub conversion even exists is because the original SMS billing option did not have an option to buy subscriptions, only doubloons. So the 42 doubloons for one month subscription was added as a workaround to that. But once the SMS option became available to subscriptions (once OOO switched providers), there probably wasn't much of a reason to ditch the conversion option.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Dec 3, 2013 1:51:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
escooper

If a sub to dub option did exist, it would probably just hasten the loss of player base on the sub oceans.
Samjones (All oceans)
Collector of ships with Mummichog fish name and Moody Adjective.

Be a pirate. Play like a pirate today #puzzlepirates
[Dec 6, 2013 9:33:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hammer1

I guess, we would have to wait and see ....... ?
Blackhammer.
[Dec 6, 2013 10:45:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

If a sub to dub option did exist, it would probably just hasten the loss of player base on the sub oceans.

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on what you mean by a "sub to dub option" and how it is implemented.

If you could just convert unused sub time to the equivalent number of dubs, I don't think it would have much effect at all. That is, if an account paid $10 for one month of sub time, and was able to convert it to 42 dubs (which costs $10), I don't think much would change. (Similarly, a year subscription at the old-timers discount of $50/year would have be converted into only 240 dubs since that is what you would get if you paid $50 for dubs)

Sure, there would be some people who would cash out their remaining subscription time, but in the long run, it wouldn't be used that often and mostly by players who are willing to quit the sub oceans anyway.

If, instead, there was a way to straight move your pirate with all their PoE, ships, clothes, etc to a dub ocean, that would probably seriously damage Cerulean (and hurt the ocean where you moved to.)

A third option is to enable the dub exchange on blue oceans, with the only thing you could do with the dubs you buy off the exchange is dubscribe (or spend them on green oceans.)

Now, it is tempting to think this would be as damaging as being able to move your pirate. Everyone would sell off their stuff for PoE and then buy dubs off the exchange to move them to a green ocean. But it wouldn't work that way. The key thing is that it is an *exchange*, someone has to offer to sell dubs for you to buy them. Right now, on green oceans 1 dub is worth 2-3k PoE. Since Cerulean is dieing and few people would want to sell dubs there, the price of a dub would be much higher. Maybe 10k PoE per dub, or 50k PoE, or maybe even 500k PoE per dub.

Somewhere in that range of PoE per dub, people from green oceans (or even Cerulean) are going to say "hey! For a few dollars worth of dubs, I can buy a complete blockade! Lets go have some fun!". So, hey buy 10Million PoE and buy ships/stock and hold some quick blockades, and what has happened? Well, lots of shop keepers got sales for ships, booze and balls, and a lot of jobbers got paid a bunch of PoE, and the ocean activity has improved. That PoE never leaves Cerulean, it just moves out of some rich players pockets and into a bunch of poor jobbers.

After a few blockades and players buying Poker money and such, the exchange rate for cerulean PoE per dub will drop a lot, making it possible to play on cerulean completely for free, just like green oceans. Players with a lot of RL money will, in effect, be paying for subscriptions to players who have a lot of time. Lots of increased ocean activity. Cerulean wouldn't be as dead anymore.

Yes, a sub exchange would change things, but I would rather have an active ocean that is different, than the same old dead ocean.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Dec 6, 2013 11:30:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates