• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 4
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2389 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
therobotdude

updates for PPx and tablet UI Reply to this Post

Just a thought (inspired by Clotho's recent edit to Official:Walking) - the new PPx client and the (relatively) new tablet interface are different in some respects to the old PC/Mac client, including input method (mouse/tap) and appearance. Most of the wiki has been written around the workings of the old client and sometimes relies on it quite heavily. Is it time to make the wiki articles a bit more tablet/PPx friendly?

I'm thinking of collecting a list of "core" pages which will need updating (in the case of PPx, once it becomes stable) - ideally this list should include everything that is mentioned in the official docs at the very least.

The actual changes needed might be very simple - E.g, upload new image, or "click on the blue button labelled 'x'" might become "click or tap on the green circle labelled 'y'".

Also, while the official namespace on the wiki has separate pages for puzzle documentation (E.g. PC/Mac carpentry and tablet carpentry ), we can get away with just updating one section of a page (E.g.Carpentry#controls).

Let me know what you think. Cheers :)
----------------------------------------
Moomintroll: Pirate, Spades addict and wild-eyed lunatic-at-large on the Meridian Ocean.
[Nov 27, 2013 2:57:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Re: updates for PPx and tablet UI Reply to this Post

As mentioned, most official pages have been updated to include both tablet and PC users. There are also new official pages targeting tablet clients, those can be found easily by following the links here. In the future, we will probably merge the official pages into one to cover both devices, but that's still TBD.

Maybe add a link to the official_tablet pages on the corresponding mainspace page? Regarding PPX, I'd suggest waiting until it's closer to being implemented for any other major changes, we're only at the Alpha stage and who knows what changes may come in the future. Making a list and taking notes of potential changes needed can't hurt, however. Suggestions, tentative action plans and any other comments are most welcome!
[Nov 27, 2013 9:19:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Regarding PPX, I'd suggest waiting until it's closer to being implemented for any other major changes, we're only at the Alpha stage and who knows what changes may come in the future.

Why wait on the yppedia? All the in-game help documentation has already been updated with the PPX version, and that is what google is finding when you search for stuff.

It appears that OOO has gone past the point of no-return with sending out PPX, it is now just a matter of convincing players that they should see what OOO sees.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Nov 27, 2013 6:07:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Oh don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to stop anyone and we will need to update the pages anyway. However, keep in mind that the new official pages apply to the tablet version only. While the PPX version is very close, the features we're seeing in the Alpha client may or may not be final as they are presented now. We can of course start the updates and revise them once we have a finalized desktop version.
[Nov 27, 2013 7:16:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates