• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 16
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5645 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
pegasiswolf

looking for TECH help for next years xmas in july event please Reply to this Post

here are links to the event that i run each year....(XMAS IN JULY)
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=191480
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=2375718#2375718
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=2507677#2507674

manual scoring has become insane!!!

i basically need to keep track of every duty report.. giving 1 pt to each excellent and 2pts to each incredible... so what i end up with at the end is a list for EACH PIRATE of how many overall points they earned on EACH DIFFERENT station type... and how many points they earned overall.... so prizes can be awarded to tops in each station and tops overall

I really need to find a way to get scoring down to AUTOMATED ... does anyone have mad tool-making skills? PLEASE!!!

if not able to completely automate it... is there anyone that has mastered google documents and spreadsheets to the point that they would be able to set up a document that will do the following:

• sort alphabetically by the first column (names) and able to resort as new names are added (need ability to add new rows and have them have the same formulas)
  • have hundreds of small columns (3 spaces or so.. for adding in "S"(1 pt sails... exc) "BB" (2pt bilge...inc)...etc
  • 7 columns (sails-rigs-carp-patch-bilge-guns-overall total) at the end of each row for totals (column to AUTOMATICALLY total all the S's ... next colum the R's.. etc... in THAT ROW ONLY (individuals totals in each station)... and a 7th column to somehow total all letters).. this could also be columns 2-8 instead if easier

this would need to accommodate up to 500 or so pirates/rows (we had over 600 ppl participate last year.. but not everyone scores at least 1 exc/inc)

if something like that could be programmed up... then it would be very quick to just find the name.. scroll to the last empty column for them... add letter(s).. (and if online on google documents.. the if our designated scorer goes afk or dcd... someone else can access it to keep score)

it would still make tallying time-consuming.... but that is basically what i have done each year.. but without the alphabetical sorting part and the auto-totalling... (so obviously this gave me a huge headache lol)

of course.. a tool that would automatically pull the info from each duty report would be MUCHHH easier... it would need to be able to give me a list of how many exc and incred each pirate got over the course of the entire trip... sorted by STATION TYPE (and if possible overall also... but if all i need to do is tally totals for an overall winner... my life will be simple lol)

anyone???????
----------------------------------------
Pegasiswolf- Captain of Dream Catchers and Queen of Fleet of Dreams -Emerald

host of XMAS IN JULY event

"maintaining a positive attitude may not fix all of lifes problems, but it should annoy enough ppl to make it worth the effort"
[Nov 25, 2013 9:53:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    https://www.facebook.com/victoria.wittren    pegasiswolf [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

Re: looking for TECH help for next years xmas in july event please Reply to this Post

Yikes, where has the time gone...sorry, I meant to work on updating the required software and contacting you when I was done, but then school/work exploded >_>

Anyhow, there has been a recent development that might cause major issues: the Puzzle Pirates X interface is incompatible with the current version of the duty report reader. As I am no longer an active player, I can't really justify the time it would take to adapt that code to work with the new interface. That said, we currently don't know OOO's intended release date for PPX. If this release date can be confirmed to be AFTER your event, I can pledge a few days during the holiday season to devote to setting up the necessary tools to run an event like this and walk an event runner through installation and operation. Without explicit confirmation that the PPX release will not happen before the event, I can't pledge support because I really don't want you to get caught in the situation of having all your tools suddenly break just before your event.

So yeah; please ping OOO to see if you can get any sort of confirmation as to the release of PPX.
Tanonev on all oceans; currently exploring Meridian.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Dec 3, 2013 3:43:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
pegasiswolf

Re: looking for TECH help for next years xmas in july event please Reply to this Post

i appreciate you helping me hun... more than you know...

yes i completely understand that there is a CHANCE that OOO will suddenly fix all the problems with X... and also decide that they will no longer allow us to use the current client...

i would really like to take that gamble and go forward anyways...

worse case scenario.. i will be forced to manually keep score (as i have for previous 3 years)....

but the hope that this will all work smoothly and make the event soooo much more manageable... has me VERY excited...

you are my hero!

"maintaining a positive attitude may not fix all of lifes problems, but it should annoy enough ppl to make it worth the effort"
[Jan 8, 2014 3:56:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    https://www.facebook.com/victoria.wittren    pegasiswolf [Link]  Go to top 
altheacat

I don't know if a non-techie solution might help? Have hearties keep some scores for you, say each one takes so many letters of the alphabet A-H, I-N, etc... and then keep scores of excellents and increds just for those pirates, manually. Then this can be collated, and reported, using Vent. Can be tricky but with a bit of practice, it might work?

Of course, the technical solution might well be in place before July, fingers crossed.

I would be glad to help, at least for some of the event

Love

Noush xx
Noushka still of Sage

SO of Privateers
Lady of the Black Flag
[Jan 8, 2014 7:05:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pegasiswolf

the problem with splitting the work up.. is that each helper would need to be online the entire time... and the coordination of all ppl gathering the data before dr goes away and such.. is just a nightmare... trust me.. ive done it SOLO... its crazy...

lets just hope that ppx is NOT ready to REPLACE the current client before the event..

cause we tested it and the tool works GREAT! and im really looking forward to having the extra time to interact with everyone this year...

[Jan 14, 2014 1:27:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    https://www.facebook.com/victoria.wittren    pegasiswolf [Link]  Go to top 
hirsty

would you kindly shoot me the pointing system in a PM? Cheers - if i cannot produce something using google docs - will do it via php script
Hirsty on Cobalt Ocean
[Jan 14, 2014 10:43:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

would you kindly shoot me the pointing system in a PM? Cheers - if i cannot produce something using google docs - will do it via php script

I believe this should answer the question:

giving 1 pt to each excellent and 2pts to each incredible... so what i end up with at the end is a list for EACH PIRATE of how many overall points they earned on EACH DIFFERENT station type... and how many points they earned overall....

~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[Jan 14, 2014 12:21:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hirsty

Tada!

Bit rough around the Edges but:

Limitations as it stands, you cant deduct score...

other than that it counts up scores per duty station and totals up (altering the running order of the table as it goes), the selection of pirates is sorted alphabetically - feel free to have a play but when ur ready via pm if u send me a password will password it up fer ye :)
Hirsty on Cobalt Ocean
[Jan 15, 2014 2:18:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

Coolio!

One thing I noticed when fooling with it, is that the "Clear Results and Pirates" does not function properly. It does not clear the scores or remove the lines, just blanks the names.
[Jan 15, 2014 2:43:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hirsty

will now lol
Hirsty on Cobalt Ocean
[Jan 15, 2014 2:54:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

Is it sad that I think I am having too much fun with this? Idk.
[Jan 15, 2014 2:59:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hirsty

i can see that lol
Hirsty on Cobalt Ocean
[Jan 15, 2014 3:06:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hirsty

nope we arent having fun...honest....
Hirsty on Cobalt Ocean
[Jan 15, 2014 3:08:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

Dang distraction. *resists the urge to play with it*

I must go back to work... D:
[Jan 15, 2014 3:15:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

While it's great to see more 3rd party development going on for event support, I should point out that the dev work for Xmas in July has already been fully covered. :) There's a publicly facing scoreboard here which Pegasis can update simply by clicking a few buttons while the duty report is open.
Tanonev on all oceans; currently exploring Meridian.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Jan 16, 2014 1:16:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
hirsty

its not in development its working and done pretty much lol. I dont mess around when it comes to development :D i think this is what she needed my help with when i received a PM from her
Hirsty on Cobalt Ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by hirsty at Jan 16, 2014 1:48:54 AM]
[Jan 16, 2014 1:47:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates