• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 54
Posts: 54   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5050 times and has 53 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background - New Year 2014 Edition! [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Ahoy, everyone! It's portrait background time!

Winners

Theme:
Even if the name of this edition is New Year, the theme for this month is not restricted to only that. For this edition, draw inspiration from any event or holiday between December 15(ish) to January 31st - from Hannukah to Kwanzaa, Christmas and New Year to Chinese New Year, including Three Wise Men Day or Epiphany or any other holiday of your choice!

If you're representing a religious holiday, remember to stick to the secular celebration of that holiday rather than overtly religious images.

Submissions:
Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size. The preferred file format is .png
Entries must fit the appropriate scale:

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170
Expansive backgrounds: 2000 x 1275

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. We don't want anyone laboring on some amazing art that has to be ignored because of this.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.
You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.

Upload your images to the YPPedia and name the file according to the naming scheme listed below.

Reworking entries:
To update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry. If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest:
If the background didn't win, it can be submitted for future contests as long as it fits the theme within each contest. Go ahead and enter past entries if you wish, however, you shouldn't submit crops of past backgrounds that have already had a win and have been seen in game before.

To resubmit an entry, go to the YPPedia page where your image is located (i.e. File:Monthly_yourname_title.png), click "Edit" and add the current contest's tag to the summary. Do not delete the previous tag. If you want to participate with a new version of a past entry, then you can upload the new version instead!
Please note: if YPPedia warns you that you're uploading a duplicated file, it means that the image itself has not changed and you should add the new tag to the previous version instead of uploading a duplicate - it's likely the duplicated file will get deleted!

Instructions for destination filename
The arrtists have requested a specific naming scheme of files uploaded to YPPedia for this contest that may not be the same as the general YPPedia file upload scheme. Note that this is in addition to the requirements for the image tags. You may also post links to the thumbnails here in this thread for comment. Please follow the naming and image tag scheme below carefully.

Requested format for the filenames on YPPedia:
monthly_yourname_title_the_way_you_want_to_appear_in_game.png
All in lower-case and put underscores between all the separate words in the title
So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Clotho's Tangled Threads, I would use:
monthly_clotho_tangled_threads.png

Instructions for tags in the summary field
The tag for this contest is "dec13contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload should be:
{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|Portrait Title}}
where
"contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag
"accountname" is replaced by your own forum name
"creditname" is replaced by your pirate name
"Portrait Title" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background

e.g. {{dec13contest|Clotho|Spinner|Loom}}
or {{dec13contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|Spindle}}

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice.
e.g. {{dec13contest|Clotho|Clotho|Tangled Threads}}

Judging:
Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors. The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the arrrtists and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Prizes:
The winning entries will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it becomes available. In addition to that, each winning entry will receive:
* a Puzzle Pirates real-life item and a pack of playing cards in the mail
* a choice of clothing or furniture item (New!)
* a choice of Bluebeard, Fishheadred, Greenbones egg or doll
* a free copy of their portrait in-game
* Dread Masterpiece trophy

The small print:
* Poe and doubloons (where applicable) for the free copy and the trophy (if the winner doesn't already have it) will be delivered at the time the portrait is available in game. These are lovingly hand-delivered, so it can take a few days to track ye down, feel free to PM me to let me know approximate times when you'll be in game.
* The clothing or furniture can be any item in any colors that can be ordered from a tailor or a furnisher in game. The following restrictions apply: no limited edition colors, no items that require a design to be created and no items that require a certain reputation to be worn or placed.
* An additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the winner does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.
* The real life prize may not be substituted for an additional furniture item.

Deadline:
December 15th 2013, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions:
-- Make it look like it came right out of the game.
-- Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure.
-- Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art.
-- Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use.
-- Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.
-- A very small signature in the lower right corner is acceptable.
-- In general avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.
-- Pay close attention to your composition - the composition of backgrounds related to pirate placement is a major consideration and sometimes otherwise good backgrounds are eliminated because the nicest elements are blocked by the pirates once they are in frame.

Other suggestions and links:
Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!

Edit: clarification of theme
----------------------------------------

Hilando las hebras de la vida pirata...
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Clotho at Dec 24, 2013 4:17:11 PM]

[Nov 16, 2013 7:57:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - New Year 2014 Edition! Reply to this Post

Although Chinese New Year is actually the Year of the Horse, I've skewed it a bit to be Year of the Pony. My design was inspired by this Canadian silver coin and, of course, our game pony pet.

I'd appreciate your feedback/comments/suggestions. Thank ye!

...and with pirates...

Greylady, Meridian & Emerald
Greyladyy on Cerulean
Cronus tells ye, "...it's Hera's doing. She spread those horrid lies of me eating poor innocent babies. *burp*"
Cronus tells ye, "When in doubt blame Hera"
[Nov 18, 2013 10:06:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - New Year 2014 Edition! Reply to this Post

I really love the clarity and the concept and design Greylady...Only thing that bothers me (and this is simply a personal preference because I absolutely Love Kanji)...the writing is hidden behind one of the pirates :( I am not sure how you would change it...but I know that if I got the portrait (which if it was chosen would be a guarentee) I would want to see the writing in it :) Once again, only a comment on personal preference, everything else is perfect ^_^
~ PIxie
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Nov 19, 2013 9:41:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Thanks for the feedback, Pixie! I knew the writing got covered up, but it seemed to be the best place to balance out the design. Anyway, I've come up with a bit of an alternate. Instead of "Year" and "Horse", I've move the "Horse" icon to the top where it will be seen, and changed the other to "Happy New Year" icons. I know everything but the top icon will be covered, but is this better? At least you'll get a nibble. :)

Greyladyy on Cerulean
Cronus tells ye, "...it's Hera's doing. She spread those horrid lies of me eating poor innocent babies. *burp*"
[Nov 19, 2013 6:30:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

/e is much happier now ^_^ (esp how the pirate on the right is picking the ponies nose with a candy cane! *giggles*)
I love it...though another thing (and this is truly minor) is the lines around the pony is very dark (black?) compared to the rest of the picture...and seem to create a bit of a disconnect in the overall feel...perhaps if you lighten them up a little (a dark brown? or darker shade of the area its highlighting perhaps?) then the contrast wont be as stark...other than that its perfect ^_^
[Nov 19, 2013 7:52:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

So I decided that this theme was worthy of me revisiting my first ever portrait background entry. (which didn't make the cut, but I think I know why ~.^)...still re-working the stained glass to include the kanji horse symbol (we had similar ideas greylady ^_^) Still trying to think of what to put in the bottom right instead of the previous clovers. I really wanted to put happy new years there as well, but don't want you to think I'm completely copying you so trying to think of something new. ^_^

Anyways as always open to any feedback and advice :)

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Booful at Nov 22, 2013 7:24:31 PM]
[Nov 22, 2013 6:47:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

@Booful: I've always loved that background. Can't wait to see the new and improved version :)

@Greylady: Great background. Spot on composition if you ask me :)

I'm still struggling with mine. I have this image of a viking village that I just have to do or it will haunt me forever. But I can't seem to fit the holiday theme in it.

It's supposed to be dune path with a viking village behind it. On the right there will be a carved stone. Some dragon ships are docked behind a few viking houses. The backdrop will be rocks to make it look like a fjord. The dunes and fjord are probably an unrealistic combination but let's call this a Dutch Norwegian fusion painting ;)

Just .... no holiday theme :(

Another idea for this comp, Winter solstice

Added some drift snow and working on the details ... that sun won't stay like that ;)
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Yngve6 at Nov 23, 2013 3:24:06 PM]
[Nov 23, 2013 4:37:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

@ Inghild - thanks :) I've always wanted to perfect this one because I quite like it as well...as for the viking theme...could always make IT a winter solstace type viking celebration?
Call it winter solstace viking style or something :) And if all else fails you can finish it and ask the arrtists to make the next one a byob :) Or just call it wintersday?

As for the progress on mine...I started working on the stained glass more (done perhaps???) as well as the wall...not sure if the color I chose is too red? (not sure why but for some reason chinese new years always seem to call red at me...) Still need to do the horse...
I do have a question for guidance and advice to those that have successfully created stained glass before...Something seem to be missing in mine that makes the window blend in? Not sure how to explain it...is a thicker black line what I need? I can;t seem to place my finger on what it is that's making it seem so flat...perhaps just the fact that I haven't added shading/lighting yet...I don't know...Anyways would love some feedback as to how to make the carved window stand out more...perhaps just some more time with shading :)

[Nov 23, 2013 10:30:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

I do have a question for guidance and advice to those that have successfully created stained glass before...Something seem to be missing in mine that makes the window blend in? Not sure how to explain it...is a thicker black line what I need? I can;t seem to place my finger on what it is that's making it seem so flat...perhaps just the fact that I haven't added shading/lighting yet...I don't know...Anyways would love some feedback as to how to make the carved window stand out more...perhaps just some more time with shading :)

Stained glass windows illuminate most when light is shining in from the outside, so that would mean the wall itself would be in shadows. Think about light and how light fades to shadow the farther away from a light source you go.
DEXLA LOUISA MIDNIGHT on Cerulean
[Nov 23, 2013 10:55:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

@Booful: thanks for the tips Booful. Perhaps finishing it as intended and choose a title that fits the theme is the best option.
For the stained glass, even though I never made stained glass myself I really love the way Phamy made her atlanean stained glass windows. What I noticed is that she made the inside of each pane a bit lighter than the edges. That combined with the dark walls as Dexla already mentioned really makes it look realistic. Personally I would remove the stained glass pattern that you put on there, it looks too 'generated' to me.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Nov 23, 2013 11:13:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

@ Inghild, np thats what I normally do ^_^ draw the picture then find and excuse to use it ^_^ (like my pirate shack which was originally for the black market ^_^)

Thanks Dexla and Inghild for your feedback :)

I have worked on the shading etc. I think because my stained glass is a outside view and not from inside that the wall won't be too dark, since the light source is actually from the same side as the picture.
But I think I have fixed it a bit by adding the shadows? Perhaps a bit too much light...which is washing the windows out a bit...Still need ideas on what to add to the bottom right corner...I feel like the composition is perhaps a bit too biased towards the right? Any suggestions?
I think you're right about the texture i added Inghild :) Still kinda playing with the stained glass look a bit...but would love feedback :)

One thing that kinda bothers me (I think) is how I somehow managed to make the digital background wall look almost the same as my watercolor one >.< Not sure whether this will affect the picture negatively because it isn't just a smooth wall? Also wndering whether I should extend the cracks like I did in my earlier digital version? Or add golden inlays/details to the horse and frieze?

And off course the part i struggle the most...a name for the picture >.< Right now I just entered it as "xin nian kuai le" which means happy new years in Mandarin,
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Booful at Nov 23, 2013 2:56:12 PM]
[Nov 23, 2013 1:51:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Lose the stained glass texture Booful ;) The texture goes right through the way that you devided the windows. If you want to devide them in smaller pieces I think doing that yourself would look much better. Personally I don't think they are too big.

Why not put a typical chines flower in the right bottom. Something like this perhaps.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Yngve6 at Nov 23, 2013 2:07:03 PM]
[Nov 23, 2013 2:02:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

@ Inghild, added a edited version to my earlier post with a redrawn texture for the windows...I really like the smaller details...just trying to figure it all out....and thank you so much for the feedback and help ^^
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Booful at Nov 23, 2013 2:57:18 PM]
[Nov 23, 2013 2:53:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

@Booful You're welcome :) You are right about the details, they look really good. I think what bothered me was that they ran straight through the different window panes.
One thing I noticed is that the perspective on the bottom is not quite right, at least I think it isn't. I think we should be seeing the top of the details (of the details on the bottom I mean).
I really like your wall texture tbh. wouldn't change it, after all an old cracked wall shouldn't look all smooth.

Just thought of something. You could also move the chinese symbol to where the clover used to be. Make it bigger and gold or red. I do think that would look good. I think the gold edge on the horse and details are a bit too bright atm.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Yngve6 at Nov 23, 2013 3:37:12 PM]
[Nov 23, 2013 3:22:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Thanks again Inghild ^_^ So I went ahead and wrote "xin nian kuai le" (which was my very first idea, but which i tried to avoid so as not to be the same as greylady :( But couldn't seem to get around...please forgive me) And this is what I got... Personally I like it, but as always would welcome any suggestions and feedback :)

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Booful at Nov 23, 2013 9:52:35 PM]
[Nov 23, 2013 7:26:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

@Booful: I love it :) Even though both you and Greylady use the same phrase, the backgrounds are still very different.

Great work ladies ^^ love them both

Been working on my winter equinox. I was thinking about leaving the stones on the right as rough as they are right now because they look further back like that. The snowdrifts probably need some fixing and I have to work on the snow on the floor.

What do you guys think? Is this pp style enough? Or should I make it smoother?

Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Yngve6 at Nov 24, 2013 7:18:03 AM]
[Nov 24, 2013 4:33:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

@ Inghild, thanks. I love that one, one thing you could try is to add more of a defining outline to your Stonehenge? The way you did when you made the cave painting one.
[Nov 24, 2013 8:48:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

I'll take that as a "no not close enough to pp style" ;)
The cave painting was a complete new drawing, not just outlines.
Adding outlines will ruin the lighting on the objects, that's why I hate adding them.
Perhaps I'll redo the whole thing like I did with the cave paintings. It's only a small picture so won't be much work.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Nov 24, 2013 9:25:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Adding outlines will ruin the lighting on the objects, that's why I hate adding them.
Perhaps I'll redo the whole thing like I did with the cave paintings. It's only a small picture so won't be much work.

>.< I didn't mean you should redo the whole thing >.<
You could just adding darker shadows to add more definition where the stones meet each other?
[Nov 24, 2013 9:49:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

>.< I didn't mean you should redo the whole thing >.<
You could just adding darker shadows to add more definition where the stones meet each other?

No worries, I know you didn't mean that. But it probably was the best solution.
Here is what it looks like pp style.

Not really sure about the bigger snowflakes in front. Still like the richness of the colors in the original better. But this one is probably better suited for pirates.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Nov 24, 2013 12:47:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

@ Inghild...i feel horrible that I made you have to redo the whole thing...but it does look more YPP style now. And I love it :) I think the snowflakes is perfect...looks just like my backyard ^_^ (just warmer ~.^)
[Nov 24, 2013 5:09:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Lol, don't feel bad. It was my decision to follow your advice, which was good advice :) I'm quite happy with the result.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Yngve6 at Nov 25, 2013 3:20:07 PM]
[Nov 25, 2013 2:09:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Lol, don't feel bad. It was my decision to follow your advice, which was good advice :) I'm quite happy with the result.

lol...i remember the first time someone gave me advice that required me to change a whole section of my background...I was in tears...(it was my very first winning entry though and as soon as I followed the advice I knew they were right) I guess that experience has taught me the value of listening to feedback and asking for it ^^
[Nov 25, 2013 6:29:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Here's another one I've been working on - Winter Night. Do you think it's too generic? Not sure if "winter" is okay for the theme, or if it needs to be a holiday. I guess I could add the three wise men or something to make it apply more to a specific event. What do you think? I'd appreciate any feedback you'd have to offer. Thanks in advance! :D

Greyladyy on Cerulean
[Nov 25, 2013 9:03:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phamy

Hello all! Long time no see and talk.

Wauw Boo you are getting better and better! And Ing! ALWAYS beautiful!

I got (finally) some inspiration... But I need help. How should I do the sand?!!! and what do you think of it?

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Phamy at Nov 28, 2013 10:55:06 AM]
[Nov 28, 2013 4:02:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

@Greylady: That looks really good. The only thing I could think of is adding a halo around the candles.
About the theme I understood it has to be a holiday, but I'm not sure. You could always add some holly to the candlesticks ;)

@Phamy: Sure has been a while Phamy. Glad to see you back here :)
About the sand, I would just use spraypaint to highlight and shade. I wouldn't add texture to it. Perhaps add some rocks and pebbles in the front.
Some things you could try are adding a palmtree or cactus somewhere in the back. Perhaps highlight the kings on one side to draw even more attention to them.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Nov 28, 2013 3:36:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phamy

ok I got further. I still have to add pebbels and a cactus. I also decided to move the pic a bit to the right.
[Dec 1, 2013 12:24:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

I've been working very hard on this one, based on the pagan "Wheel of the Year" - it's my Wheel of the Brigand Kings! I've finally figured out how to use AI for the line work, so I hope it's better! Any comments/feedback/suggestions would be welcomed!

(I know there's quite a bit covered up with the pirates in the picture, but I'm hoping enough shows that the BK's are recognizable.)

...with pirates...

Greyladyy on Cerulean
[Dec 10, 2013 6:39:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

I've been working very hard on this one, based on the pagan "Wheel of the Year" - it's my Wheel of the Brigand Kings! I've finally figured out how to use AI for the line work, so I hope it's better! Any comments/feedback/suggestions would be welcomed!

(I know there's quite a bit covered up with the pirates in the picture, but I'm hoping enough shows that the BK's are recognizable.)

...with pirates...

I liiiiike it ^^ but XD the widow queen's eyepatch is bothering me, since it looks a bit too close to her other eye (but its probably just me)
Yumisa World Wide ;)
Your Favourite Cookie Monster <3op
Can't find me? Im on Deviant Art!
[Dec 10, 2013 8:26:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Wow grey lady i LOVE it!!!
What a wonderful idea ^_^

To what Yumi said about the patch, i think simple act of making it a little wider (slightly wider than her other eye) would fix it ^_^

My advice however lies with brunhild...I think you should make her eyes the same (white with black outline) like the widow queens. Also her mouth bothers me a little bit...her lips seem ...too square? I know you're trying to mimic the grimace from her portrait, but I think since the angle of your portrait is slightly different you need to adjust the mouth's grimace a little...(if that makes sense) you can use one of the pirate grimace mouths as an example and add *lip lines* or even just hint at lip lines without fully closing them? (you can PM me if you want me to elaborate more...)

Also, another thing, Vargas looks too cheery to be mad :) you can use this portrait's expression for a straight on reference....right now hes just a little too sweet - like a hobbit ^_^ (perhaps simply removing the eye lids may make him slightly more sinister/mad? And again I would add a black line to the eyes like the widow queens :)

Other than that I think this is an incredible picture!!! I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the backgrounds you made for them all!!! Stunning ^_^
[Dec 10, 2013 10:21:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 54   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates