• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 8
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4548 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Unionjack5

Minor Game changes Reply to this Post

Hey, ive played this game for the best part of 7 years now and like many other players am concerned about the dramatic reduction of the player population.Now this is not a rant at the developers or about how the game sucks also im not going to lay out a grand plan on how I think the game could be imroved to the extent we manage to restore the vibrant community we once had but rather some minor changes to the game which could be a decent start to acheiving that end goal.

1. Increase the amount of poe won from pillys.

This I believe especially important on dub oceans in which the economy has become so hyper inflated unless you are participating on an elite pillage, pillying really isn't worth the man hours spent especially for new pirates who will be the key to reversing the games fortunes.Another thing I believe is that a significant minority of pirates don't realise that the greenies of today are the captains of tomorrow thus dont give them the time of day which is detrimental to the game.

2. More Opportunities for new pirates to participate in smh / HS

This point follows on from my last somewhat as currently the game in my opinion isn't very newbie friendly and really all a new player can do when they first start out is pilly which can become pretty boring and repetitive pretty quickly. To that end I bleieve just like there is days in the inn where certain games are free there should be at least a couple days a week where new players do not need a bravery badge to participate in SMH/HS so the player can get more of a feel for the game and experience a taste of the broader gameplay.

lol ( and at the start i said minor changes HA :P !!)

3. Get rid of the 200k poker tables

Now this is coming from a 200k regular!!! ( and no ive not just had a bad day at the tables :P) For those who know me from emerald will know I love my poker however from a wider gameplay point of view the top tables (20k/200k) are overall bad for the game.Now from an hour a new player spends pillying (the supposed "Bread and Butter" of the game) he might make say 1.5k , however a player might sit down at the poker tables with 200k and win 1million within the same hour. No wonder the N.B is almost dead when you have this kind of potential money maker. Now as I said earlier this is not a rant, nor am I one of these players who think poker is evil and should be banned (quite the opposite) as I said before I am a big fan of the game but the 200k tables are simply too much and are over all bad for gameplay.

I do not expect these changes to be implemented as I know there have been countless posts on peoples ideas on how to fix the game. What I have done however is offer my opinion on a start and trust me it is only a start on how we can change the game for the better and how it can become more greenie friendly which I believe is crucial and if changes are not implemented fairly soon ...then I fear the worst!

Ty UnionJack
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Unionjack5 at Oct 28, 2013 6:51:52 PM]
[Oct 28, 2013 6:48:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

Re: Minor Game changes Reply to this Post

I disagree with removing 200k poker tables. High end poker isn't for everyone. It is for people who want to take some risks and have some money to spend.

The same could be said for real life. Should million dollar poker tables be removed due to the fact you can make a lot of money? Just because there are some people making less than 10$ an hour, doesn't mean others can't make loads and loads of money.

Yes, the game may be unbalanced because there are better ways to gain money than pillaging, but really, when is life ever fair and equal?

Edit:

200k tables are simply too much

What decides "too much"?
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Twittly at Oct 28, 2013 7:06:13 PM]
[Oct 28, 2013 7:05:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kamaji

On the topic of pillaging, I don't really agree with your solution of increasing the pay-outs. I mean, for me and I suppose many others, we don't pillage because of the [barnacle] payouts but more for the reason that it's boring.. For a jobber its stationing while your navver runs around shooting, then it's a short battle and then back to puzzling. The puzzle sessions are frequently broken up unlike Blockade or SMH segments, making it less enjoyable for an elite jobber, in my opinion.

As for the removal of 200K tables, I'm pretty sure this would be a bad decision. We'd get fewer blockades then we already have due to people not being able to come up with poe like they use to. I know for a fact theres people on this game that just sit on 200K tables then spend their winnings on furniture and crap, so removing the tables would most likely kill off more population then it would bring.
Kamaji on Emerald & Meridian(?)

Furkeyno says, "Kannst u deutsch?"
Nectarinez says, "furkey, get better at english before you take on another language pls"

disengaged op ba 2014
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Aphrodite at May 23, 2014 11:01:03 AM]
[Oct 28, 2013 7:30:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

I disagree with removing 200k poker tables.

Yes, the game may be unbalanced because there are better ways to gain money than pillaging, but really, when is life ever fair and equal?

Edit:

200k tables are simply too much

What decides "too much"?

What decides "too much" is when the game becomes unbalanced. This game is centered around doing stuff on ships, if blockading costs can only reasonably be funded by poker/foraging/gems/etc. that hurts the game and needs to be changed.

We'd get fewer blockades then we already have due to people not being able to come up with poe like they use to.

No, there would be more blockades if the 200k poker tables were removed because people wouldn't have to pay 10M in jobber pay to compete.

I know for a fact theres people on this game that just sit on 200K tables then spend their winnings on furniture and crap, so removing the tables would most likely kill off more population then it would bring.

For every PoE won on a poker table, someone has to lose it. Poker creates a lot more losers than winners and drives more players away from the game than keeps others. Sure the winners are well known/big names, but that doesn't make them more important than all the newer players that quit because of poker.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wrs1864b at Oct 29, 2013 5:07:50 AM]
[Oct 29, 2013 5:02:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Unionjack5

Im not saying the game needs to be perfectly balanced but think that balance needs to change as it favours high stakes poker players too much and gives them too much influence. The last time I checked I was playing puzzle pirates not poker pirates.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Unionjack5 at Oct 29, 2013 9:14:03 AM]
[Oct 29, 2013 9:11:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

Algol is right on all three counts. There are a few hundred regular players on Cerulean - probably less than 30 remaining "big names". Certainly, some of those big names will throw a blockade now and then - heck, hardly a quarter goes by without someone war dec'ing every island holding flag on the ocean. But the problem is, they are the only people even bothering. Why? Probably three reasons: new people have a hard time getting into the established crews and flags, and flag membership is a requirement to enter the blockade game; only a handful of big names have the money to play the 'pay war' game that has become the blockade norm over the last three years - either because of high stakes poker or because they do cit runs and wall humps almost constantly and reap the unbalanced benefit of deed-holders cut; the broken game play has caused boredom in enough of the earlier "big names" who have wandered off to other MMORPG that do a better job of keeping their gameplay fresh. Add to that the high cost of taking and holding an island coupled with the low value of taking and holding an island...

As far as routine gameplay goes... well, it's been said so many times before that it hardly bears repeating; but I will anyway. There is nothing for the greenie to keep them coming back for more.
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Oct 29, 2013 4:40:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
cybrpyro

Algol is right

Blasphemy!!!!

other MMORPG that do a better job of keeping their gameplay fresh.

IMO, the only fresh gameplay is the new game. All MMORPGs get stale, especially once you get on the "treadmill".
Cybrpyro on da Cobalt ocean...as well as the rest

Perilous Puppet Theater
Freak-a-zoid wrote: 
Cybr-dude puts the F. U. in fun!!

[Oct 29, 2013 5:51:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
brandleton

I totally agree with unionjack5.

ps. I can see why OOO would make pillage pay outs low, though. They want you to buy dubs for your badges or subscribe which makes everything cheaper. But it still doesn't change the fact that a berserker pelt costs 50k poe and a crap load of trinkets which take a long time to get. have fun doing ten medium pillages and all the extra crap for one little hat... (never had one myself. i learned of their cost just yesterday)
[May 13, 2014 8:32:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates