• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 11
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2052 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
jlh0605

Ship Scene files Reply to this Post

I am continuing the discussion had here. I thought it would be useful to have pages that contain the XML data for files other than ships, so pirates who want to experiment with creating ships other than the raised-deck sloop can. I have started creating the pages for the raw scene data. I have started with the pages for a sloop (found here , here , and here) as an example. I have several questions:

• Should I continue doing this for ships? If so, should I include LE/Design ships? LE/Design ships would give ship creators an insight as to what has been done in the past, and how it was done.
  • The current files include all default props as they were placed, and are not plain, like the event files are. Should I keep it this way?
  • I have used the existing XML template, which adds the files to the XML files category. Is this correct?
  • I created a Ship files template that includes a basic paragraph to be included on each page. Is this template okay? Should it be modified/added to?
  • (Edit:) Can anybody figure out why the download XML link isn't working? If it was, then we could add this to the ship pages themselves.

Edit: Added question
Edit: Link
----------------------------------------
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Edit 2 times, last edit by jlh0605 at Oct 22, 2013 12:44:39 PM]
[Oct 22, 2013 12:34:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Re: Ship Scene files Reply to this Post

(Edit:) Can anybody figure out why the download XML link isn't working? If it was, then we could add this to the ship pages themselves.

Works for me, though it looks like it's downloading the entire text of the page (not just the XML). Using WinXP and Firefox, here.

Side note: wonder if it's worth adding an extra leading space on each line, so the whole code gets included in the box.
[Oct 22, 2013 4:02:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

I can agree with what Belth says. (Mac OSX 10, Chrome)
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[Oct 22, 2013 4:51:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

It's working on this computer, but it didn't on my work computer (Windows 7 Professional, Chrome).

And chupchup's adding of the '<pre>' tag made it all in the box nicely.

Any response to the other questions? If not, I'll get around to adding the other ship types... eventually. I'll also get to adding the XML download links to the sloop page... eventually.
~Jamesh on Emerald

[Oct 23, 2013 9:12:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

Sorry for the double-post, but there's been time between them.

I added links to the "Download Xml" in the sloop page itself. It is showing up under the floor plan. I didn't intend to do that, but then I stopped and thought about it, and it made sense to me. Should these links go somewhere else? For now, I'll leave them there.
~Jamesh on Emerald

[Oct 29, 2013 11:11:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

Sorry for the now triple-post, but again, time between.

As anyone who pays attention to the Recent Changes page has undoubtedly noticed, I have finished uploading all the scene XML files (and links) for the basic ships.

So here's a question. When updating the Merchant Brig and Grand Frigate pages, I noticed that some of the scene names listed didn't match the current in-game scene names. I acted on the philosophy that the wiki should reflect current in-game information first, and historical notes second. Before updating the historical notes section, however, I would like to confirm that those old scene names are correct. What I'm asking is this: Does anyone have an OLD MB and/or GF that I can get on (on any ocean), or do they have access to one that they can get on, to check for this? On the MB, it's the names of the crow's nests, and on the GF, it's half of the scenes.

And eventually, I do plan on uploading the XML files for the LE ships. This would be particularly helpful for anyone wanting to design a new LE ship, either to base their model on an old one, or to see how an old model was done.

Thoughts? Concerns? I just updated/created about 100 pages, surely someone has some constructive comment to make? ;)
~Jamesh on Emerald

[Nov 6, 2013 1:01:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

Re: accuracy of Scene names Reply to this Post

With regards to the accuracy of the names of the actual scenes for any type of ship, my preference is "scupper the historical name, we need the CURRENT (i.e. CORRECT) name." ;-)
After all, how many Flag/Crew/Building articles have we moved around, based on changes to their names in-game? If we're going to worry about these changes, then keeping the scene-names of the basic ships up-to-date should be even more important, I'd think!

Just my 0.02 PoE's worth... ;-D

Franklin
Franklin W. Cain (Pirate FranklinCain on Meridian and other Oceans)
[Nov 6, 2013 2:32:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

Glad we agree on that... :P
~Jamesh on Emerald

[Nov 6, 2013 2:55:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

Just my 0.02 PoE's worth... ;-D

Doesn't look right D:
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[Nov 6, 2013 3:34:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JamesStGeorg

Yes good idea to create the xmls to the ships.

However they are impossible to find other than through this page.

Surely there needs to be a link in say the text about the crow's nest to the right of the image? Or somewhere on the main sloop page that shows a list of links to each scene file.

Next the LEs? :)

Houses too. I even have made a few for that you are welcome to check and use.
Jstgeorge of Emerald.
[Nov 10, 2013 10:52:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

If you look at the floor plans, there is a link directly below the plans. I couldn't think of anywhere else to put them on the page without sounding too forced. However, I am definitely open to suggestions.

I actually got the idea from houses - there were a few already on the wiki that I discovered. Feel free to upload them yourself! If you have any questions about where/how, then this is the right forum to use. :)
~Jamesh on Emerald

[Nov 11, 2013 9:04:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates