• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 59
Posts: 59   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4061 times and has 58 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

Season To Taste - A Shiny Sun Point Event [WINNERS ANNOUNCED] Reply to this Post

What are we doing? Having a seasoning contest.
How do we play? By making a picture!
Why do we do this? Because resistance is futile.
When do I have to do this? Before the end of Friday 11th October.

It's been a busy summer up here in the Northern hemisphere. So much shining; it's exhausting. I'm on my way South now, to melt ice-based folks down there. The inexorable changing of the seasons...

Mash them up, that's what I say.

I would like you please to create a picture or collage representing a season - you may depict a scene at a particular season, or you may choose to depict a particular item associated with a season. If you choose a single item, it should be one that can be found in the game.

However... you will be limited in the 'materials' you are allowed to use. You must make your seasonal picture using a single component from a DIFFERENT season. You may use multiple color-ways of your component, and it can vary in size somewhat throughout the image, but it's the only shape you can use. For example, you could use a snowflake shape (winter) in multiple colors to create a collage picture of a sunny day at the beach (summer). Or you may choose to use autumn leaves (fall) to create a mosaic picture of a daffodil (spring).

* You should create a real-life picture, not a computer image.
* You can draw / paint, or you can use fabrics or other materials - real leaves if you want!

The dazzling prizes
* Items that reflect your theme!
* Apollo Eggs!
* Maybe even a doll!
* Ships with yellow paint!
* Ships with sunny names!
* Yellow things!
* Yellow stuff!
* Bright shiny objects!
* Shiny Sun Points!
As I have done previously, I'm keeping prizes flexible, depending on the quantity and quality of entries. However, they're likely to be full of sunshiney goodness! Or snow.

The details
* The deadline is 11:59pm pirate time on Friday 11th October 2013.
* One entry per person.
* You will need to take a digital photograph of your creation, and upload it to your computer.
* Your final display image for the entry post will be a .jpg or .png file
* Your display image should be no larger than 600 x 600 pixels
* You will need to upload your images to an external hosting site, to get a url for each image
* Post the display image to this thread, with the image url in image tags as shown here.
* Your entry post should include your pirate name and ocean; a title for your chosen scene or item, and the season it represents; a note of the component you've chosen for your art 'material', and the season it represents; and of course the display image of your seasonal picture (in image tags).
* This thread should be used for questions or comments, as well as for entries. :)

Get to it, clever peoples!

----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Apollo at Oct 16, 2013 3:46:38 PM]
[Oct 3, 2013 11:59:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Re: Season To Taste - A Shiny Sun Point Event [Deadline Friday 11th October] Reply to this Post

Cattrin on Cerulean

Cracking Fireplace (Winter)

[Additional picture with fluffy thing I wasn't sure if was a leaf for not]
Made out of autumn leaves.

Nothing says winter like a roaring fire to warm cold bones.

What are we doing? Having a seasoning contest.

Can I call paprika as my argument spice?
Cattrin of Midnight Cerulean (and sometimes Viridian Meridian)
Avatar by Apollo, Wiske, Shawe, Blakbead, Daeva, Angelira and Musicologist!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Edit 2 times, last edit by cattrin at Oct 4, 2013 4:41:21 PM]
[Oct 3, 2013 12:59:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dragonjayne

Re: Season To Taste - A Shiny Sun Point Event [Deadline Friday 11th October] Reply to this Post

Oh gosh, I'm such a computer noob...what does it mean by uploading my images to an external hosting site? -.-

Other than that though, sounds like an awesome contest! This is so totally my thing. ^.^
Dragonjayne of Emerald; Senior Officer and first mate of Never Die Alone.
[Oct 4, 2013 9:37:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Oh gosh, I'm such a computer noob...what does it mean by uploading my images to an external hosting site? -.-

Other than that though, sounds like an awesome contest! This is so totally my thing. ^.^

It means, once you take a photo, you have to upload your digital photo to a site such as Imageshack or Photobucket, so your entry post can refer back to it (either as [img] or as a link).

Remember that images you upload to one of those hosting sites, need to be viewable to the public, without the need to create an account, or log into.

* You can draw / paint, or you can use fabrics or other materials - real leaves if you want!!

Even catfood? YAY!
DEXLA LOUISA MIDNIGHT on Cerulean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dexla at Oct 4, 2013 10:31:01 AM]
[Oct 4, 2013 10:28:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

I fail to see how "catfood" is a seasonal item, Ms Midnight, unless you have seriously unlucky cats.
[Oct 4, 2013 10:52:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

I fail to see how "catfood" is a seasonal item, Ms Midnight, unless you have seriously unlucky cats.

You mean I'm supposed to feed them all the time?
barnacle!

No no, I was going to make pretty little snowflakes from some scrumdiliumcious kitty vittles.... don't you think that'd be DIVINE?!
DEXLA LOUISA MIDNIGHT on Cerulean
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Dexla at Oct 4, 2013 11:06:30 AM]
[Oct 4, 2013 11:02:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Ooh, lucky me, I have Play-Doh left, and a nifty Budclare-approved talent for rolling it into worm shapes. So... Far West Texas has a worm season, you know. Yes, yes, that's it. You have to travel eastward to enjoy the colorful fall catfood forests, but here in the desert, you can enjoy the changing worms. I'm set!
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

[Oct 4, 2013 3:41:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

I was thinking leftover play-doh, too, but, um...my colors are kind of limited, so maybe not. Well, they're kind of wintery, I suppose...

I'm so glad we have another week. I'm still at the flaily brain stage.
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

(Imp turned me into a dolly! :D)
[Oct 4, 2013 4:02:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marielking

I'm kind of confused about what we are allowed to do.

I was wondering if we were to make a collage, could we use magazine pictures of things? For example, could i create a summer scene using images of wintery things? Or would it all need to be just one thing from winter?
Docktarte of Sage Emerald

[Oct 4, 2013 5:57:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

Apollo wrote: 
You must make your seasonal picture using a single component from a DIFFERENT season. You may use multiple color-ways of your component, and it can vary in size somewhat throughout the image, but it's the only shape you can use

So let's say we've chosen to use leaves. Can we use more than one leaf shape, or select one (i.e. maple) and only use that shape?
Bunnylaroo of Sage Emerald

[Oct 4, 2013 6:50:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

also...it doesn't actually HAVE to be 3D objects right? We can draw a picture using say summery things and make it a wintery one? with a pencil and paper for example?
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Oct 4, 2013 9:38:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JSChromeboy

Just curious, would it be allowed to use objects that are seasonal from our part of the world?

I ask specifically as the certain objects I am thinking of using might not be universally recognized as "fall" or "winter" items by people who aren't local...?

Does that make sense?
Asheme - Malachite/Viridian Oceans - (2009 - 2011)
Mastorakis - Meridian Ocean - (2013 - present) that is all.....
[Oct 4, 2013 11:53:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Trying to collate the questions here...

Shape: I'll try to be fairly reasonable. If "autumn leaf" is your component, and you're using actual leaves, I can allow that there will be variation in those leaves. If you're using generated shapes, though, I would expect more consistency.

Seasons: you can select something seasonal from your part of the world as long as you state what they are, and which season they represent. If I don't recognise them, I can look them up.

Wintery and summery: you can't just use "wintery things" as your components - you have to choose one wintery item to portray your (e.g.) summer picture.

3D vs drawn - absolutely - you can just draw / paint your picture - remembering to construct your drawing out of that single component. :)

Did I catch everything?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Apollo at Oct 5, 2013 4:25:37 PM]
[Oct 5, 2013 4:24:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

Oh goodies I've got so much different ideas!!!!
Which one to pick D:
Bisca - Emerald Ocean

Avvy by: Chocorose
[Oct 7, 2013 4:13:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

Would I be allowed to use like, a summer thing and a winter thing to make a spring thing?
Bisca - Emerald Ocean

[Oct 7, 2013 4:25:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

Here's my entry...

Bisca of Emerald ocean.

Valentines Rose (spring)

This was made out of sand (summer)
Here's a picture of the sand I used

Nothing more lovely than getting a Rose in spring for valentines day..
Bisca - Emerald Ocean

[Oct 7, 2013 7:08:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mininalex

Just wondering if there could be an extension? Just saw this now and this week is crazy busy - also there aren't many entries! :)

Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Subbie, the Pumpkin guy, from Emerald

Known by muggles as Alex
[Oct 7, 2013 11:19:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Just wondering if there could be an extension? Just saw this now and this week is crazy busy - also there aren't many entries! :)

Doodles (is this technically one?) are meant to only take up a small amount of time, hence the small time period to complete one in.

I squeezed it into a busy college schedule, you can too. ;)
Cattrin of Midnight Cerulean (and sometimes Viridian Meridian)
Avatar by Apollo, Wiske, Shawe, Blakbead, Daeva, Angelira and Musicologist!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Oct 7, 2013 1:29:03 PM]
[Oct 7, 2013 1:25:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Would I be allowed to use like, a summer thing and a winter thing to make a spring thing?
It looks like you've answered this yourself for your entry, but no - you need to choose a single element as your material. :)

Just wondering if there could be an extension?

Noooo! This is intended to be a fairly short entry event, and I need to make sure the deadline fits my availability to do the judging as well. Do have a go, though - even if what you do isn't as complex as it might be if you had more time. I hope you can fit an entry into your manic week!
[Oct 7, 2013 10:50:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Tasjatjuh

Tasjatjuh, Cerulean

Autumny EasterEggs ( Spring)

Not sure if the basket is allowed, but they wouldnt stay as i wanted them to get the picture.

Bigger shot with nametag:
[URL=http://imageshack.com/i/joca9jj][IMG]http://imageshack.com/scaled/800x600/708/ca9j.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Materials:
[URL=http://imageshack.com/i/nrcpfnj][IMG]http://imageshack.com/scaled/640x480/855/cpfn.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Single egg:
[URL=http://imageshack.com/i/5tcfosj][IMG]http://imageshack.com/scaled/thumb320x240/209/cfos.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Tasjatjuh on Cerulean

Someone once asked me, 'Why do you always insist on taking the hard road?' I replied, 'Why do you assume I see two roads?'

Avi by amazing Cattrin :)
[Oct 8, 2013 4:42:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
noworries

Resistance is not futile. It's voltage divided by current.
The original Garibaldi on the Midnight Ocean, now on Cerulean.

We can't control the winds, but we can adjust our sails.
[Oct 8, 2013 7:33:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dragonjayne

Resistance is not futile. It's voltage divided by current.

That is the most hysterical thing I've seen all day! xD
/is still laughing hysterically
Dragonjayne of Emerald; Senior Officer and first mate of Never Die Alone.
[Oct 8, 2013 8:18:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Petethaskete

Ok soooo I am on the other side of the world so my seasons are back to front from yours ... can I do a scene the other way around? i.e. Easter in autumn? (EDIT: Using something from spring)

EDIT again: Can I use different parts of the same thing .... like the leaves as well as the petals of a flower? .... sorry for all the edits :P
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Petethaskete at Oct 8, 2013 2:07:02 PM]
[Oct 8, 2013 1:54:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

The season you're experiencing right now don't matter - as long as you depict one season using an element from any other season, you're good.

I'd rather you used either leaves or petals or the whole flower, rather than the two elements separately. But do what you can do, and I'll just account for how strict you were with the materials in the judging!
[Oct 8, 2013 2:20:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Herowena of Cerulean
Spring flowers for snowy winter firs:

And because I've been trained to:
Materials , progress , namecard
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

[Edit 1 times, last edit by joandart at Oct 8, 2013 4:34:57 PM]
[Oct 8, 2013 4:31:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

You know.... ive been thinking that...
i kind of miss hanging around here XD
I dont care if i cant play ;~;! i still wanna doodle around and have fun XD
Do you mind if i stick my nose around here and share a bit? :P
Yumisa World Wide ;)
Your Favourite Cookie Monster <3op
Can't find me? Im on Deviant Art!
[Oct 8, 2013 7:40:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

You know.... ive been thinking that...
i kind of miss hanging around here XD
I dont care if i cant play ;~;! i still wanna doodle around and have fun XD
Do you mind if i stick my nose around here and share a bit? :P

Well now you have to. We won't let you leave until you do. ;)

/e pounces on Misa
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

(Imp turned me into a dolly! :D)
[Oct 8, 2013 8:00:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
maiooch

rhodanite cerulean
* You will need to take a digital photograph of your creation, and upload it to your computer.
the display image of your seasonal picture (in image tags).

Ok so I may have taken it partially literally..

Its Winter seasonal items partially made of seasonings/I relate to Winter to depict a Spring White Blossoming Tree that smells like apples among other things ** walks off and sniffs her doodle some more**

Materials

Rhodanite of Cerulean formerly of Midnight
Queen of Bedlam
[Oct 9, 2013 6:46:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rayhane15

Anacute of Cerulean

Flakey/Snowy PiratiSH Pumpkin! (Fall) + (By the help of Winter snow flakes...snow balls!)

Material Progress1 Progress2 Name POST IT
Anacute of Cerulean
FGOH Active Princess...

Cute Avatar by Flower Power AKA Fleurs!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by rayhane15 at Oct 10, 2013 10:34:22 AM]
[Oct 10, 2013 9:08:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    ray_mob [Link]  Go to top 
Vellanora

Velternal, Meridian

Can't we just skip Winter this year?
Fall pumpkin seeds turned Spring flowers. :)

And because I'm apparently also trained:
Materials (Minus black and white spray paint and A LOT more pumpkin seeds >.<),
my mess, a close-up view and with my name tag.

Thank you for the event Apollo!
Calixbossx tells ye, "lions shouldnt worry about the opinions of sheep"

Velternal, Meridian.
I draw Avatars!.
[Oct 10, 2013 9:57:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 59   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates