• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 18
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2756 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
Franklincain

common rules for sinky trips? Reply to this Post

Based on my experience jobbing for various "sinkable" trips -- sea monster hunts (Atlantis; Cursed Isles; Haunted Seas), blockades, and/or flotillas, I've compiled a list of the more common "rules" from the various people hosting these events. I thought I'd share these commonly-seen rules with you all, and ask if you've encountered any other common rules I may have missed...

(Actually, I'm modifying the one about T.Haul, to be more like what I'd use, since I can see wanting to keep half of my stations filled, and splitting time between the port and starboard stationers.)

Thanks! ;-)
Franklin

1) Plan to spend at least ONE FULL HOUR (60 minutes), once we get inside. (This is in addition to however long it takes us to recruit our full staffing.)

2) Maintain FULL stations, UNLESS told otherwise. If you must leave station (for "real life" situations or whatever else), send a tell to the MAA and/or XO before you go!

3) Remember if your station is PORT-side or STARBOARD-side, as Treasue Haul will usually restricted to either a per-SIDE or a per-STATION basis.

4) All "lazers" (i.e all mates not on station) MUST defend.

5) Unless you're one of my officers, DO NOT yell, shout, or type in caps-lock!

6) Keep chatter to a minimum, and on-topic, while inside. No trading or spamming, at all, ever! (This is NOT an Inn.)

7) BE NICE! Treat shipmates the way you'd want to be treated.

8) Violators will be PLANKED and MUTED -- no hesitation, no remorse. Depending on the situation, you MIGHT receive a warning, but don't count on this...

9) Remember our purpose -- For ALL of us to have fun and make some money!

...(to be continued?)
----------------------------------------
Franklin W. Cain (Pirate FranklinCain on Meridian and other Oceans)
[Oct 1, 2013 12:06:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Re: common rules for sinky trips? Reply to this Post

Hello, it's me, the one that always complains and ruins all the fun.

I'm going to have to say that while these might be 'common' rules in the terms of that you'll see a lot of people use these...I really wish -for the sake of the POSSIBLE new players we might see and be able to convince to stay and start doing these trips- that they'd be in a form that is much less of making the jobbers look and feel like...what was that term he used again..oh yeah, galley slaves.
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Oct 1, 2013 12:22:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

I really wish -for the sake of the POSSIBLE new players we might see and be able to convince to stay and start doing these trips- that they'd be in a form that is much less of making the jobbers look and feel like galley slaves.

Well, 1) if they're new, they probable aren't ready for sinky trips (SMHs and so on), at least not yet, and 2) they should understand that since there's a -lot- more at risk (for the pirate(s) hosting the trip) in any sinky event, everyone aboard is going to be expected to hold to a higher degree of performance.

(That last point is similar to playing poker -- doing so "just for fun" using toothpicks or candies is expected to be far more relaxed that doing so while betting actual money. You would EXPECT the latter case to be more tense and less free-form than the former.)

Again, these are just for SINKY events, not for "regular" pillages (let alone for greeter pillages, Heaven forbid!!)...

Thanks!
Franklin
[Oct 1, 2013 12:45:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

I really wish -for the sake of the POSSIBLE new players we might see and be able to convince to stay and start doing these trips- that they'd be in a form that is much less of making the jobbers look and feel like galley slaves.

Well, 1) if they're new, they probable aren't ready for sinky trips (SMHs and so on), at least not yet, and 2) they should understand that since there's a -lot- more at risk (for the pirate(s) hosting the trip) in any sinky event, everyone aboard is going to be expected to hold to a higher degree of performance.

(That last point is similar to playing poker -- doing so "just for fun" using toothpicks or candies is expected to be far more relaxed that doing so while betting actual money. You would EXPECT the latter case to be more tense and less free-form than the former.)

Again, these are just for SINKY events, not for "regular" pillages (let alone for greeter pillages, Heaven forbid!!)...

Thanks!
Franklin

Yeah. I know this.

However, in my opinion, there's a difference between i) requesting certain things and making your jobbers to understand WHY you're doing that and ii) requesting certain things and making your jobbers feel like slaves.

I forgot to add that the possible newish players might also join these sinking adventures and if what they'll be getting is just a bunch of rules and threats shouted at them...

In that other thread I asked if these days, it's too easy to make (fine, farm) poe in-game than it has been before. You ask why this is related? Because it looks like about everyone and their grandmother is loading an atlantis run. By that I mean even those that are less experienced seem to have success enough to see it's well worthy of their time, even if they'd occasionally sink. Therefore, is it too easy to make poe in-game and do you need to use your whip that much and bla bla bla?
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Oct 1, 2013 1:01:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

Adding more in-depth commentary (to include explanations as to WHY these rules are needed) would be OK for an online version. (In fact, I'm thinking of making such a sub-page for my pirate's article in the YPPedia.)

However, since most rules need to be (re)posted at the beginning of each trip, having a short-sweet-to-the-point version will be more useful in-game. (On the gripping hand, there's nothing wrong with adding that it's OK to ask questions before we enter the battle-board, into the last two "rules.")

Thanks!
Franklin
[Oct 1, 2013 1:39:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Adding more in-depth commentary (to include explanations as to WHY these rules are needed) would be OK for an online version. (In fact, I'm thinking of making such a sub-page for my pirate's article in the YPPedia.)

However, since most rules need to be (re)posted at the beginning of each trip, having a short-sweet-to-the-point version will be more useful in-game. (On the gripping hand, there's nothing wrong with adding that it's OK to ask questions before we enter the battle-board, into the last two "rules.")

Thanks!
Franklin

I also know this. You know, I've played this game...

But again, there are different ways of saying things. Some of the Fkey spam you represent in your original post don't reflect that, at all. Here's an example:

1) Please, have at least 1 hour of time to stay once we go in. If you don't, please hop off now and perhaps join us next time :)!

5) If you're not an officer in charge, please don't shout - it clutters the chat unnecessarily :)

Well, you don't need to put a smiley face after everything but you don't also need to make the jobbers feel like if they happen to fart a little, they'll be planked, doomed forever and all-around hated by everyone.
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Oct 1, 2013 2:03:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

Smiley faces make everything better. :)
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[Oct 1, 2013 2:32:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Smiley faces make everything better. :)

No they don't. :P

But yeah, tone means a lot. There are people I won't job for because of how they say everything.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Oct 1, 2013 2:45:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

It's generally a good list. I've never heard of TH being for port side only though.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Oct 1, 2013 3:07:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gagund

Rules are made to be broken.
-Gagundss
[Oct 2, 2013 10:10:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

It's generally a good list. I've never heard of TH being for port side only though.

Yeah that's a new one to me too. It's usually "Don't haul (at all) unless given ship-wide order to do so via the Captain or his CO."
Or "Only haul when the ship is in relatively good shape, and we're not surrounded" (This is more common on Cerulean, where the ~200 active players consistently see the same faces on those types of voyages. It's a "use half a brain" rule.)

Another one I've heard (somewhat a sub-set of your rule #2) was "There is no such thing as "my" station. If you leave your station to defend, or for some other reason, it's for the benefit of the ship and your booty, that it be filled by someone else.

Hope this helps your page!
*Oh - what about area specific "rules"? I've seen some specific to Atlantis and CI, that seem to be pretty common as well.
Dexla d'Midnight
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dexla at Oct 4, 2013 5:49:04 AM]
[Oct 4, 2013 5:44:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
amartino

3) Remember if your station is PORT-side or STARBOARD-side, as Treasue Haul will usually restricted to either a per-SIDE or a per-STATION basis.

I prefer to have TH based on jobbers political affiliation.

- Republicans TH out of greed and keep all they get
- Democrats TH out of entitlement cuz they deserve it

Anyone not in one the the two above and any foreigners who have completely different parties that are scary and unfamiliar to me, are not allowed to TH at all. :)
Piecesoeight on Meridian

Don't waste your time
Or time will waste you

================
[Oct 4, 2013 6:46:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Here's even more suggestions how to change the tone of those rules in the OP:

1) Plan to spend at least ONE FULL HOUR (60 minutes), once we get inside. (This is in addition to however long it takes us to recruit our full staffing.)

See post above.

2) Maintain FULL stations, UNLESS told otherwise. If you must leave station (for "real life" situations or whatever else), send a tell to the MAA and/or XO before you go!

It really is real life, not "real life". The latter makes it seem like it's an excuse or somehow not important while real life always should come before PP or any other game (okay, this is just my opinion). There's no way of knowing if the baby is crying, someone is at the door or there's a fire alarm unless your jobber is in the same real life room with you. Also, just "Maintain full stations always" should be enough? What is that situation in a SINKY environment that the OIC will think "Well I don't want full stations even though I have pirates to take them"?

Haven't heard about side-based ever before this - only station-based or everyone/none. Who will (no really, who) know which side is which and who will remember it? Between so many rules as has been presented in here, this is not that important and can be compiled with "Maintain full stations" -> "Maintain full stations and only TH when allowed to :)".

4) All "lazers" (i.e all mates not on station) MUST defend.

Can be compiled with "full stations" -> "Maintain full stations, if no stations are free you must defend. Please don't TH unless allowed to :)" - or something similar.

5) Unless you're one of my officers, DO NOT yell, shout, or type in caps-lock!

I've been on many trips with crews where I see every effin officer of that crew shouting and giving orders. That is definitely unnecessary. I think shouting should ALWAYS be left only for the navver, XO and MAA. Nobody else, no matter how much of a first mate SO of the crew someone is. It is VERY confusing when I see six officers shouting how I need to station, defend, give money to charity and vote Cleaver for president - who the heck I'm supposed to then send the tell when I want to ask if I can be a gunner, perm defender or my real life toilet need caught me? AND NOBODY SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE IT IS ANNOYING AND CONSIDERED AS SHOUTING.

6) Keep chatter to a minimum, and on-topic, while inside. No trading or spamming, at all, ever! (This is NOT an Inn.)

Spamming should be obvious anyway. It is forbidden by the ToS anyway (fine, can't remember the exact wording but you know what I mean). I'd rather see some kind of chatter than totally quiet ship where one or two officers are the only ones saying something, and that all is nothing but shouting rules and orders. Just saying and once again, I'm probably the only one who thinks the social aspect of this game is a big part of it.

7) BE NICE! Treat shipmates the way you'd want to be treated.

Yes. This should go to the rule shouter as well...

8) Violators will be PLANKED and MUTED -- no hesitation, no remorse. Depending on the situation, you MIGHT receive a warning, but don't count on this...

Err...really, give a warning, always. You may never know why they're not on a station, for example. Sometimes I keep going around and around the ship trying to find that last sailing station that seems to be open, for five minutes - and then realize that it is just a bug and all the stations really are taken. If you plank me without even giving a warning (or asking/saying "Please station, mate") then I'm assuming you're just wanting to make everything way too simple for you and am not going to job for you again because you don't care to even check if I have any valid reason for violating your rules.

Yes! Having fun should be equal. I've asked in another thread if making poe in-game is "too easy" (the past months or a year maybe? I've been reading this either between the lines of other players and their issues and/or as a direct complain of the course the game is on now) and if I join a trip to a sinky place, and all I get is rules read to me and then being treated like I'm the slave you use to get the poe for yourself without that you actually do anything to make me feel like I'm a human being etc... You know what I mean?

~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Oct 4, 2013 8:07:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MSpartans

I agree with Sizzly that HOW it's said matters. What I like to see, in order-

First-Clearly, politely, and firmly declare the rules for your voyage. Don't make rules you're not prepared to (politely!) enforce

Second-XOs send polite tells to the people/person breaking the rules for that voyage.

Third-Send a personal whistle or two to station in case they stepped afk for a minute (someone at the door?) giving them a chance to hear and rush back if they so desire.

Fourth-Now is the time to publicly call them out if you want to, I prefer to just give them a swift boot off the ship. It frustrates me when I'm working with a naver and they say yeah I made that rule but don't plank that person. All credibility=gone.

*Note, I did not really read every word of this thread. I skimmed. Sorry if I missed your well placed sentence.
Searching for Black CI Trinks

Huntard
Aug 12, 2011
Av by Diagram
[Oct 4, 2013 11:12:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

I want to add that I've seen multiple variations of this, ranging from 45 to 90 minutes.

As with the others, never heard the port/starboard side thing either.

Oh, and there's also dudes who use something along the lines of "TH as long as you keep X sails / X carp / X bilge

Yeah. Also, if we could teach some people the difference between spamming and chatter that would be great. It's really annoying when you're having a nice conversation on a ship and people start yelling at you to "stop spamming" </thingsthatannoyme>

Yes! Having fun should be equal. I've asked in another thread if making poe in-game is "too easy" (the past months or a year maybe? I've been reading this either between the lines of other players and their issues and/or as a direct complain of the course the game is on now) and if I join a trip to a sinky place, and all I get is rules read to me and then being treated like I'm the slave you use to get the poe for yourself without that you actually do anything to make me feel like I'm a human being etc... You know what I mean?

Yep. Some people make it worse than others (Looking at you, pillages where I'm on a different station every 10-15 minutes by being ordered around without you listening to a word that's said or saying a word yourself) and I do often find myself trying to seek out the people that lead more fun trips where I feel like I'm actually some kind of human or something.

TriplePat, Emerald.
[Oct 4, 2013 3:41:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

I want to add that I've seen multiple variations of this, ranging from 45 to 90 minutes.

Speaking as a jobber, if you want me to station for most of the trip... go for sixty minutes or less as your request. At a certain point, burnout kicks in. And when you're getting close to that sixty minute point, start paying close attention to the number of people who actually station-- start moving towards the exit before you have to prod people to station. Even if you have a mostly full ship, when people stop getting back to stations, that's an indication that burnout is kicking in.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by xelto at Oct 4, 2013 7:37:59 PM]
[Oct 4, 2013 7:37:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
v76odessa

Speaking as a jobber, if you want me to station for most of the trip... go for sixty minutes or less as your request. At a certain point, burnout kicks in. And when you're getting close to that sixty minute point, start paying close attention to the number of people who actually station-- start moving towards the exit before you have to prod people to station. Even if you have a mostly full ship, when people stop getting back to stations, that's an indication that burnout is kicking in.

On cerulean the trips tend to go much longer than that, but I think it is due to our loading times. At the same time, I almost refuse when I nav to go more than 90mins, loading for 45mins and then staying in for a hour does not make sense to me.

Do not get me wrong, we have shorter trips, but only when someone sinks.
Vova

Home at Dies Irae.

Harrjm tells you " I always wished I could grow up to be you"
[Oct 5, 2013 6:46:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MSpartans

On cerulean the trips tend to go much longer than that, but I think it is due to our loading times. At the same time, I almost refuse when I nav to go more than 90mins, loading for 45mins and then staying in for a hour does not make sense to me.

You think Emerald doesn't take 45 mins to load? :p
Searching for Black CI Trinks

Huntard
Aug 12, 2011
Av by Diagram
[Oct 5, 2013 9:18:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates