• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 77
Posts: 77   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12342 times and has 76 replies Next Thread
Dovels

Re: Another letter to OOO that I'm sure probably won't be read

P.S. I have a life, too. Well, probably not since I see things from a different point of view than you do? Either way, it isn't and hasn't stopped me from making poe even more than I currently actually need but see, for once in my life I was thinking about other people. That's a rarity though, if you ask around.

I'm not sure if you and I, Dovels, are really discussing about issues or just arguing over something that is clearly differenting opinions (and which both can be right or wrong if one wants to see opinions like that) - or just defending ourselves and heading a way that might get ugly. If the last is the case, I'll resign - I want to be able to log onto the forums to buy eggs...

I don't really do flame wars or get ugly, or take any of this personally. I just did not think this thread was at all constructive and was adding other ways in which the players themselves could take action to help the game aside from heading to the forums with something that seemed less than constructive.

None of that has anything to do with how much life you have, or what your goal is, or even what your opinion is, so there's no need for any of it to be personal. :D

No matter what other people do about the situation, or whether or not they choose to agree is their own business, as my gameplay will not change as a result.

But maybe someone WILL take one of the suggestions, and reach out to a newbie and get them to stick around, and that's not a bad thing, either.
[Dec 7, 2013 11:24:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MSpartans

No one said that being generous to greenies would be cheap. But in essence, it prioritizes earning your own in-game cash over going out of your way to retain new players. Again, not that there's a problem with this, but older players being elitist is one of the reasons we're not seeing a lot of new players stay.

Being generous to greenies....when it would count as a loss to current players....becomes a responsibility of the game. To give better pay out on those pillies so that the navers can at least break even. Never mind the time they already spent/wasted not gaining poe. At least make it so they don't have to pay 5 to 10 to 15k each run in addition.

I am not having this same problem. I am also taking everyone who applies, and will sometimes run easy pillys on a sloop specifically for some of the greenies, (I'll even say so in the advertisement that it is a greenie run).

Truth. I have also noticed that I can turn a profit on sloop runs. The problem lies in larger ships and more specifically medium cannon ball prices in my opinion (I haven't tried anything with larges recently). And why not want to take larger ships out? After I set sail and maybe after 2 battles I sometimes will get a flood of people. And sometimes they start talking to each other, building the community.

There already are greeter pillages that should be ideal for both the bnavver and the jobbers when it comes, well, to many points of pillaging. One of them being the economical aspect and the rest being things like staying a long time, leaving during a battle and so on.

I don't like greeter runs, been there done that. Plus I believe it's harder to get experienced players to job and mix with the greenies when it's labeled "greeter."

What's your restock set to? I mean, I know there's competition for jobbers, but at a certain point, you have to say "that's enough, we'll take fewer jobbers if needed to break even".

15%. And I already set sail with only 1 or 2 pirates.
----------------------------------------
Searching for Black CI Trinks

Huntard
Aug 12, 2011
Av by Diagram
[Dec 7, 2013 12:13:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dovels

All of the above ... people not wanting to be be generous at a loss in order to entice players to stay, older players not wanting to come on voyages and/or interact with newer players, feeling like interacting with newer players is not their responsibility -- all of this strikes me as more of a problem in regards to the general playerbase, and not really something the devs can fix.

Sure, give more booty on larger ship runs, but all that will do is throw more PoE into the game. It doesn't actually solve any of the problems.
[Dec 7, 2013 12:48:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

What's your restock set to? I mean, I know there's competition for jobbers, but at a certain point, you have to say "that's enough, we'll take fewer jobbers if needed to break even".

15%. And I already set sail with only 1 or 2 pirates.

Hm. I've been doing regular pillages recently with family and anyone who applies, 18% restock, and I guess that I spend only half of the restock money on actually restocking. My family isn't all that elite, and the people I job rarely are. So I have no clue why you're not able to cover expenses.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Dec 7, 2013 2:24:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MSpartans

Hm. I've been doing regular pillages recently with family and anyone who applies, 18% restock, and I guess that I spend only half of the restock money on actually restocking. My family isn't all that elite, and the people I job rarely are. So I have no clue why you're not able to cover expenses.

What size ship?
Searching for Black CI Trinks

Huntard
Aug 12, 2011
Av by Diagram
[Dec 7, 2013 3:07:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

What size ship?

I've been using a fanchuan, mostly because its size nicely fits my family (we have five, that leaves a bot and room for jobbers). That's probably going to change once two of my daughters take their computers back to college after Christmas, though.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by xelto at Dec 7, 2013 3:38:44 PM]
[Dec 7, 2013 3:37:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Forgot about this, Christmas is so much fun.

@Gneiss. The comment about greeter pillages was more of just an opinion of how I think that Three Rings has created something that was or is reasonably balanced in the context that it currently is. It doesn't exactly probably make anyone rich and it can really grow old easily but at least it is one thing the older players can do for the new players that has its base set into the game itself, without that it has to actually be created by the players itself. I don't think either that the old farts really would job for those as I guess they can usually move on to job for 'elite' voyages, or just play poker.

@Dovels. Likewise, I don't want to get personal or necessarily think anything about you - other than that we see this issue differently. I basically believe that it is reasonable to hope, expect and ask the older players to put some effort into keeping new players in, but only when they can do so without being themselves hurt (too much anyway) and when the game has the balance set right and/or is mostly fine.

So Happy Holidays, Ho Ho and a bottle of rum. Maybe two if it looks like the season of joy is less joyful occasionally.
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Dec 8, 2013 3:57:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ytirri

All of the above ... people not wanting to be be generous at a loss in order to entice players to stay, older players not wanting to come on voyages and/or interact with newer players, feeling like interacting with newer players is not their responsibility -- all of this strikes me as more of a problem in regards to the general playerbase, and not really something the devs can fix.

Sure, give more booty on larger ship runs, but all that will do is throw more PoE into the game. It doesn't actually solve any of the problems.

So I went back and read your first post, and after your tenth 20000000 line wall of text i kid of stopped, but basically, if im hearing you right, you want me to give my money to people who are going to quit the game so they will stay? And I suppose you want me to make full novice/ables officer in my crew as well? No, just no.

I think one of the biggest problems with player retention, that i haven't seen already adressed, is the fact that ranks are given away so easily these days. For example, probably Wednesday last week, i was in the Aim in, failing at carousing like I always do, and a random greenie, random hearties me. I try to talk to the mate, got no answer, and then say no. On Sunday, while scrolling around the lists of crews and such, i see this same person, now ranked as FO in a crew.

So what im getting at is, people like a good challenge, and I think one of the biggest reasons players don't stick around is because alot of times they are promoted prematurely. This is something i think we can all agree has been getting worse for years. (/me remembers the days when i wasn't the only one to use cabin people) the base rank when I first came to the game was cabin people. By the time i retired in '09 pirate was standard. Now since ive been back in the game almost two years, it is officer. This is not good, and I blame captains for not taking greater care to train their officers and make sure they are ready when they are promoted.

I think this also effects player retention because of the simple fact, us humans always love challenges. Anyone who has ever worked hard for something in this game, or in real life can tell you that. By auto promoting a novice/able pirate to officer right away, you are pretty much taking away any incentive to work hard. (I don't care if it's emerald's newest weekly training crew) So, I think, if we are seriously trying to address this problem, this is an area and path worth looking at. I acknowledge the probability of this idea working in practicality is almost none, however i think in this regard it is important to pursue the ideal, and trust me, novice able pirates, or those close to it, will stay in your crew even if they are ranked cabin person.
Kozzar,
Doing what I want when I want
Keep a weather eye on the horizon ;)
Redfeather says,"Dustin you just gave me a heart attack"
[Dec 10, 2013 3:53:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shinito

So what im getting at is, people like a good challenge, and I think one of the biggest reasons players don't stick around is because alot of times they are promoted prematurely. This is something i think we can all agree has been getting worse for years. (/me remembers the days when i wasn't the only one to use cabin people) the base rank when I first came to the game was cabin people. By the time i retired in '09 pirate was standard. Now since ive been back in the game almost two years, it is officer. This is not good, and I blame captains for not taking greater care to train their officers and make sure they are ready when they are promoted.

Crews are not the developers, they are only responsible for themselves and not the whole game. Any crew that does not see the benefit of engaging new members will suffer for it and eventually die out leaving the job to those capable of retaining players. Bad crews being allowed to scoop up new players is a problem with the game and not the community.
Thorkill on Malachite 2.0 Obsidian
[Dec 10, 2013 6:37:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dovels

So I went back and read your first post, and after your tenth 20000000 line wall of text i kid of stopped, but basically, if im hearing you right, you want me to give my money to people who are going to quit the game so they will stay? And I suppose you want me to make full novice/ables officer in my crew as well? No, just no.

Yeah, I said none of this. I'd clarify, but I already typed it out and you didn't read it. Since this thread has morphed from a problem with player retention to a problem with crew promotion, I'll leave it at what I've said.
[Dec 10, 2013 9:20:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kaptklutch

@Doven. If people have a problem with a Game or with something we are suppose to not say something? So your method is to Sweep it under the rug? If you are saying not bring it to the forums because their are other methods then obviously you haven't read close enough. I have petition, written to support email, and a friend I know that works for them. None of this is getting through. So what do people do when their letters and emails are being ignored by their Local Representative? They go out into the Streets and protest or find some way to get the attention of their Representatives. That is what we are doing here, we are asking for some sort of response or at LEAST a conversation.

Ok So I started reading all this since my post and you all are only addressing one VERY SMALL part of why others are calling this game broken or in need of Mending. I don't the word broken should be used as harshly as it has(if I have then sorry didn't mean to). So to contribute to your guys part. Yes the game is losing Players, is it due to the economy(yes), is it due to pillages(kinda not really), does it relate to an ocean merge(in some cases Yes, in others No), and is it due to forum post(Heck No).

Ypp is a game about experience, you go through trail and error to Learn what is the best way to do things. Many veteran members(just as the OM's have done <333 Nemo!!) still keep this tradition true in some regards like how to run an pillage effectively and profitably. There are some common knowledge traits that everyone knows and then there are some elite methods most to none one in this ocean knows as it has been lost in the years and updates(speaking as a pirate of 10 years). There is no true manual on how to do things in this game, its about patience and earning your role in the society of ypp through trail and error.

Obviously this can go on and on and on in explaining and going over everything. The issue is, this is what your Captain, SO's, FO's of your crew are suppose to to learn and then pass on. I could remissness and go over examples but that takes time and is also a matter of opinion

So back to Dovels, from reading what you are writing you are only going after one part of the issue and that issue is a small one. Player retention was never the one point. Your the one who took it to that with your first post about "Not posting because that hurts the game more then helps" which frankly is moronic.

And to everyone else who wants to talk about the best way to pillage, take it to another forum and make a thread about it or find someone in game that knows and ask to be Miyagi'd. Keep the topic relevant.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Kaptklutch at Dec 10, 2013 10:21:40 AM]
[Dec 10, 2013 10:18:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dovels

So back to Dovels, from reading what you are writing you are only going after one part of the issue and that issue is a small one. Player retention was never the one point. Your the one who took it to that with your first post about "Not posting because that hurts the game more then helps" which frankly is moronic.

It's not about "not posting", it's about "posting constructively".
[Dec 10, 2013 3:28:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

It's not about "not posting", it's about "posting constructively".

Most people think their posts are constructive. I think your posts have been less constructive than others who have posted here.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Dec 10, 2013 3:37:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dovels

So, allow me to clarify, just to make sure that I have this straight.

This is a thread where people can come to air their concerns about how the game is "broken", one of which is that old players aren't staying and new players aren't being retained, (Which may or may not be a big problem, but seems to be the gist of what a lot of people are saying and a large chunk of what the OP addressed was in regards to losing players). This is constructive and okay to discuss. But only in regards to addressing the devs.

But my experience and opinions as a new player about how the community of players presents itself, (and the challenges I've found in game), is not welcome to be discussed. My suggestions/ideas about welcoming new players and making strides to phrase forum posts in a less negative light are fractious and insulting!

Because there are too many words in my posts to really read, but we've formed opinions about them anyway, and they're moronic, not constructive, and who wants to waste time and PoE on new players. That's not profitable!

But darn those devs, caring only about their money-making and not at all about the concerns of their players.

Wait, what?

I guess I can agree that I don't see any of this going anywhere positive, so I will leave this where it's at, thoroughly defeated. Yay, you guys won the internets!
[Dec 10, 2013 10:04:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

So, allow me to clarify, just to make sure that I have this straight.

No, you don't have it straight. Part of what makes your posts less constructive is your constant moving of the goal posts, putting words into other people's mouths, hypersensitivity/defensiveness, seeing things in black and white, etc. Dunno if you will continue to post here, but you will have similar problems everywhere on the internet.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Dec 11, 2013 4:02:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dovels

No, you don't have it straight. Part of what makes your posts less constructive is your constant moving of the goal posts, putting words into other people's mouths, hypersensitivity/defensiveness, seeing things in black and white, etc. Dunno if you will continue to post here, but you will have similar problems everywhere on the internet.

That's okay. I don't expect everyone to understand and/or appreciate my sarcasm, especially when I am pointing fingers at the finger-pointers. I totally get that the loudest voices posting on this thread don't like reading what I have to say.

But don't mistake my loudness for defensiveness. I am two parts confused and one part entertained that such ire has been roused at my suggestion that being a little more proactive towards new players might help retain them, and that screaming for change tends to be less effective then making your own changes. If even one person read this and reaches out to newer players a little bit more, then the game has already improved regardless of anybody's butthurt.

I graduated to my big girl pants a while ago, and I think that the internet nd I will get along just fine. :)
[Dec 11, 2013 9:16:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Prometheus
OceanMaster

Ahoy!

As a reminder: debate the idea, not the poster. Please do not post anything intended to insult or belittle the person behind the noseless pirate at the keyboard!

It is worth mentioning that even if we do not reply to every post or thread we do indeed read everything that is posted on our forums and if necessary, forward on to the appropriate parties. If you have an issue that requires a direct response you may direct your inquiries to our e-mail support form . Thanks!

Fair winds,

- Pro
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Prometheus at Dec 11, 2013 11:13:32 AM]
[Dec 11, 2013 11:11:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 77   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates