• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 33
Posts: 33   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3113 times and has 32 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background - From Shack to Hall Edition [Announcing the winners!] Reply to this Post

Ahoy, everyone! It's portrait background time!

Theme:
Have you ever wondered what a pirate home looks like? Is it clean or messy? Is it full of treasures or are those hidden elsewhere? Many have tried to find out and have failed. Pirates tend to be slightly unwelcoming when an unannounced guest shows up at their doorstep.

Will our artists unveil some of those secrets? This month we are looking for a chance to take a peek at a pirate home- whether it's a humble shack, or a fancy estate or anything in between. Which room you ask? Any room of your choice of course!

Submissions:
Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size. The preferred file format is .png
Entries must fit the appropriate scale:

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170
Expansive backgrounds: 2000 x 1275

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. We don't want anyone laboring on some amazing art that has to be ignored because of this.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.
You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.

Upload your images to the YPPedia and name the file according to the naming scheme listed below.

Reworking entries:
To update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry. If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if the background didn't win, it can be submitted for future contests as long as it fits the theme within each contest. Go ahead and enter past entries if you wish, however, you shouldn't submit crops of past backgrounds that have already had a win and have been seen in game before.

Instructions for destination filename
The arrtists have requested a specific naming scheme of files uploaded to YPPedia for this contest that may not be the same as the general YPPedia file upload scheme. Note that this is in addition to the requirements for the image tags. You may also post links to the thumbnails here in this thread for comment. Please follow the naming and image tag scheme below carefully.

Requested format for the filenames on YPPedia:
monthly_yourname_title_the_way_you_want_to_appear_in_game.png
All in lower-case and put underscores between all the separate words in the title
So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Clotho's Tangled Threads, I would use:
monthly_clotho_tangled_threads.png

Instructions for tags in the summary field
The tag for this contest is "oct13contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload should be:
{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|Portrait Title}}
where
"contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag
"accountname" is replaced by your own forum name
"creditname" is replaced by your pirate name
"Portrait Title" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background

e.g. {{oct13contest|Clotho|Spinner|Loom}}
or {{oct13contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|Spindle}}

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice.
e.g. {{oct13contest|Clotho|Clotho|Tangled Threads}}

Judging:
Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors. The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the arrrtists and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Prizes:
The winning entries will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it becomes available. In addition to that, each winning entry will receive:
* a Puzzle Pirates real-life item and a pack of playing cards in the mail
* a choice of clothing or furniture item (New!)
* a choice of Bluebeard, Fishheadred, Greenbones egg or doll
* a free copy of their portrait in-game
* Dread Masterpiece trophy

The small print:
* Poe and doubloons (where applicable) for the free copy and the trophy (if the winner doesn't already have it) will be delivered at the time the portrait is available in game. These are lovingly hand-delivered, so it can take a few days to track ye down, feel free to PM me to let me know approximate times when you'll be in game.
* The clothing or furniture can be any item in any colors that can be ordered from a tailor or a furnisher in game. The following restrictions apply: no limited edition colors, no items that require a design to be created and no items that require a certain reputation to be worn or placed.
* An additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the winner does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.
* The real life prize may not be substituted for an additional furniture item.

Deadline:
October 15th 2013, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions:
-- Make it look like it came right out of the game.
-- Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure.
-- Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art.
-- Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use.
-- Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.
-- A very small signature in the lower right corner is acceptable.
-- In general avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.
-- Pay close attention to your composition - the composition of backgrounds related to pirate placement is a major consideration and sometimes otherwise good backgrounds are eliminated because the nicest elements are blocked by the pirates once they are in frame.

Other suggestions and links:
Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!

Edit: Changed the wording for the clothing or furniture items that may be chosen.
----------------------------------------

Hilando las hebras de la vida pirata...
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Clotho at Oct 23, 2013 8:49:27 PM]

[Sep 16, 2013 8:45:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - From Shack to Hall Edition [Deadline: October 15th] Reply to this Post

Does it have to be a pirate home? I've always wondered what's in the inn's cellar or what the palace's cel would look like. Would something like that fit the theme? Or some of the CI huts, atlantis dwellings?
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Sep 16, 2013 11:04:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - From Shack to Hall Edition [Deadline: October 15th] Reply to this Post

* a choice of clothing or furniture item (New!)

WHOHOOOOOO!!!!! How did you KNOW I needed more furniture!!! You just struck my creative chord!!!
And what a wonderful theme to start with since my favorite part of the game (after the art contests) is decorating my homes and ships ^_^

/e starts scheming

@ Inghild...you could justify a inn cellar as a *home* IMO because maybe your pirate passed out there looking for rum>? :)

Also wondering if this previous entry of mine (that didn't win in the black market contest) would qualify? Since it's a pirate shack...(and the pirate has only a shack because she spend all her poe on black boxes!)

And if it does...ANY feedback on how I can make it a winning entry would be MUCH appreciated!!!! (part of me wonders if maybe it just didn't fit the black market theme enough?)

PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Booful at Sep 16, 2013 12:33:24 PM]
[Sep 16, 2013 12:23:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

ANY feedback on how I can make it a winning entry would be MUCH appreciated!!!!

My guess is that they only accepted the backgrounds of yours they did to keep from exhausting a particular aesthetic.

For example, this background and your smuggler's hold one have a lot of objects, colours, textures and general themes in common. They might've just picked the one they liked better instead of both.

As for improving this one- I'd say it's too busy in areas that are commonly covered by clothing and pets. You have a ton of detail- perhaps too much to the point where it distracts from the pirate, becoming a focus instead of a background- and in the area above the pirate's head, by their right side, and right shoulder are where you have the most detail and colour that give the theme.

If the pirate ordering this background is as large as possible (meaning male, with a poofy hat, a familiar and a pet) would cover too many of the important details for it to be distinguished as a "black box enthusiast" background over just a messy pirate who is fond of grey.
Cattrin of Midnight Cerulean (and sometimes Viridian Meridian)
Avatar by Apollo, Wiske, Shawe, Blakbead, Daeva, Bunnylaroo and Musicologist!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Sep 16, 2013 5:01:36 PM]
[Sep 16, 2013 4:59:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

I agree with Cattrin that your background may have too much detail in some areas.

When I first looked at it, my eyes went directly to the green poison bottle instead of the pirate.
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[Sep 16, 2013 5:58:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

@Inghild
Buildings of any type could serve as a home for a pirate. I'm pretty sure some of them are not picky! However, I think we should stay on land for this one, in the future we will probably have some other themes specific to CI or other monster lairs.

@PixelPixie
Of course you can re-enter previous work, either as is or tweaked a little. The only restrictions is to submit renditions on previous work that has won and has been seen in game at some point.

[Sep 16, 2013 8:26:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vermooth

This sounds like fun n.n can we make "Themed rooms?" like using the apothecary furniture for a witch-doctor-ish room? Or should it be kind of casual pirating?
[Sep 18, 2013 12:08:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background Reply to this Post

Clotho wrote: 
(The small print):
The clothing or furniture item can be any item in any colors that can be ordered from a shoppe without needing a design or reputation.

Clarification requested, please. ;-)

A pirate can buy (order and deliver) a Notorious Corsair's Coat and/or Hat just fine, without having the Reputation Trophy needed to actually wear it. Therefore, per the current wording of the small print, a winner could receive a notorious corsair's coat in black/gold, for example.

Furthermore, while there are also some furniture items having restrictions on them regarding the Reputation of their owner, those restrictions are for placing these items, not for just buying them.

With this in mind, I have to ask -- Is this what you intend? Or did you actually intend to limit the prizes to those that can be:

a) ordered without a design; and
b) used regardless of Reputation?

And finally, good luck to all the entrants! ;-)

Thanks,
Franklin
Franklin W. Cain (Pirate FranklinCain on Meridian and other Oceans)
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Franklincain at Sep 18, 2013 6:38:54 AM]
[Sep 18, 2013 6:37:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

This sounds like fun n.n can we make "Themed rooms?" like using the apothecary furniture for a witch-doctor-ish room? Or should it be kind of casual pirating?

Basically, it could be anything that you imagine could exist behind the doors of a pirate dwelling!

Clotho wrote: 
(The small print):
The clothing or furniture item can be any item in any colors that can be ordered from a shoppe without needing a design or reputation.

Clarification requested, please. ;-)

We like to give choices instead of announcing a specific prize that would be the same for everyone, but at the same time we have strict guidelines about what OMs can use as prizes for forum events. Historically, and with very few exceptions, the restrictions are:
- no limited edition colors
- the item doesn't need a design to be created. The list can be found here.
- the item doesn't have a required reputation in order to be worn. Specifically, no conqueror's sword rack, explorer's shelf, patron's card table and magnate's treasure chest furniture items, also, no notorious corsair's hat and notorious corsair's coat clothing items.
- the restrictions listed above include any items that may not be yet in YPPedia but that require a design to be created, or a reputation to be worn or placed.

Please note that this is a general guideline. There may be other events that qualify for an exception and OMs may be allowed to use a LE color, or an item that requires a design to be created or reputation to be worn or placed.

I've changed the wording on the first post:
The clothing or furniture can be any item in any colors that can be ordered from a tailor or a furnisher in game. The following restrictions apply: no limited edition colors, no items that require a design to be created and no items that require a certain reputation to be worn or placed.

If there are still any ambiguities or if something else is unclear please let me know!

[Sep 18, 2013 12:42:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

Clotho wrote: 
I've changed the wording on the first post:
The clothing or furniture can be any item in any colors that can be ordered from a tailor or a furnisher in game. The following restrictions apply: no limited edition colors, no items that require a design to be created and no items that require a certain reputation to be worn or placed.

Thank'ee, Miz Clotho. ;-)
Sorry for being so pedantic, but I was just trying to help, to make things crystal clear.

And again, good luck to all the contestants! :-D

Thanks,
Franklin
Franklin W. Cain (Pirate FranklinCain on Meridian and other Oceans)
[Sep 18, 2013 1:34:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Feedback is always useful and welcome!

[Sep 18, 2013 5:27:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
corkskooner

And if it does...ANY feedback on how I can make it a winning entry would be MUCH appreciated!!!! (part of me wonders if maybe it just didn't fit the black market theme enough?)

Your handiwork is very good! I love this design and I hope it gets in the game.

Here's my feedback from one artist to another:

I think the horizon (the wall line) is too high and the pirate is too low. The perspective is off. Try backing up your pirate a bit by lowering the wall line as if tilting the 3d axis by lowering the floor so that you show more wall and less floor. Her head should be in the middle of the wall instead of below the wall line. You can still keep your cool stuff on the floor with these changes.

Also, there is much commotion on the floor so that when you place a pirate in the scene, the portrait is too cluttered. Try removing the box in the middle with the 2 trinkets. Remember: Less is More. :)
// Corkskooner on Meridian // It's all about the hair! //
[Sep 18, 2013 10:05:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
corkskooner

I designed the entrance to my grandiose pirate hall. I had it full of gilded furniture but it was too distracting with the pirates on it, so I deleted the furniture.

What do you think about the colors? I welcome ANY feedback, good or bad. Thank you.

with pirates:

[Edit 2 times, last edit by corkskooner at Sep 25, 2013 9:10:02 AM]
[Sep 23, 2013 12:41:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

@Corkskooner - I personally think it's overall fantastic, and I'm not trying to nit-pick at all ... but I find the portrait on the landing to be a weeeee bit distracting. It's mostly the pink wig- it attracted my eye immediately- then I wondered why there was a "little person" up there?... then I realized it was a portrait. The portrait to the right is not nearly as distracting. I realize what it is, and why it's there, (it's one of my favorite background of yours as well!) but perhaps substitute something a little less distracting?
DEXLA LOUISA MIDNIGHT on Cerulean
[Sep 23, 2013 1:16:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

I designed the entrance to my grandiose pirate hall. I had it full of gilded furniture but it was too distracting with the pirates on it, so I deleted the furniture.

What do you think about the colors? I welcome ANY feedback, good or bad. Thank you.

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
[...]
You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.

I'm not sure if you're breaking some rules by using YPP art in the frames. Clotho'll have to correct me, but I don't think it's allowed.
Cattrin of Midnight Cerulean (and sometimes Viridian Meridian)
Avatar by Apollo, Wiske, Shawe, Blakbead, Daeva, Bunnylaroo and Musicologist!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Sep 23, 2013 1:22:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
corkskooner

I'm not sure if you're breaking some rules by using YPP art in the frames. Clotho'll have to correct me, but I don't think it's allowed.

I sure hope we can use portraits in backgrounds. Deathwaltz's put one of his portraits in his background.
See here
[Edit 3 times, last edit by corkskooner at Sep 23, 2013 2:35:01 PM]
[Sep 23, 2013 2:32:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Yes, they are allowed as a reference or as a small enhancement for your background. The intent behind this restriction is to avoid basing backgrounds on someone else's work. Make sure that they look like you drew them yourself and be mindful that they don't look like a screenshot from the game items. What we all love about these backgrounds is their originality - we do want you all to show off your talent!

[Sep 23, 2013 4:08:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raalala

I sure hope we can use portraits in backgrounds. Deathwaltz's put one of his portraits in his background.
See here

I snuck one in before even Deathwaltz, and it was a double ;D Makes me wonder if anyone did before me.
xBambehx - Hunter I meant Emerald, honest.
Bambeh - everywhere else

Johnydepp says ; 'BatBam, your f-ing play on words fetish'

[Sep 23, 2013 4:29:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
corkskooner

@Corkskooner - I personally think it's overall fantastic, and I'm not trying to nit-pick at all ... but I find the portrait on the landing to be a weeeee bit distracting. It's mostly the pink wig- it attracted my eye immediately- then I wondered why there was a "little person" up there?... then I realized it was a portrait. The portrait to the right is not nearly as distracting. I realize what it is, and why it's there, (it's one of my favorite background of yours as well!) but perhaps substitute something a little less distracting?

@Dexla, glad you saw that. I changed the portrait on the upstairs wall. I also made the 2 portraits as paintings rather than screenshots.
[Sep 25, 2013 9:13:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

ok so I tried to listen to all your wonderful feedback (thank you!) hope I addressed all the concerns...not sure if I lowered the wall enough? (hope so...) took away a lot of clutter, moved some stuff and darkened the bottle so its not as bright a contrast. moved the wall and lowered and straightened it. I know there are lots on the floor, but I don;t always use a pet in my portraits so I am not too concerned about that part as I am sure there are some other daft pirates out there that do that too :)

I want to keep its fairly cluttered as that is what i am going for in this portrait :) (a cluttered shack) so i don;t really want to remove too much more if I cn avoid it...

But as always open to any feedback! Thank you so much for all the great ones so far ^_^

[Sep 30, 2013 9:10:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

The darkening of that bottle made a huge difference to me.

Looks awesome!
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[Oct 1, 2013 1:46:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

I have a question, I have entered my background, but it is not showing up in the entry yppedia page...did I do something wrong? or is it in a different spot like the black market ones were? Since I can only see the last portrait entries?
[Oct 5, 2013 11:07:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

I have a question, I have entered my background, but it is not showing up in the entry yppedia page...did I do something wrong? or is it in a different spot like the black market ones were? Since I can only see the last portrait entries?

You haven't done anything wrong! The tags will be updated shortly, once that's done, the portraits will show as normal.
In the meantime, you can try a tag search: oct13contest

[Oct 5, 2013 8:20:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Okay mates, here's what I've been working on. It took me awhile to figure out what to do, then I happened to watch Robert De Niro in Stardust as the "Whoopsie" Captain , and figured it might be fun to sneak into the Captain's Cottage, and see what he has in his closet! :)

...with a female captain...

...or a male captain...

As always, I'd appreciate your feedback/comments/concerns. Thanks!
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald

Cronus tells ye, "...it's Hera's doing. She spread those horrid lies of me eating poor innocent babies. *burp*"
Cronus tells ye, "When in doubt blame Hera"
[Oct 9, 2013 9:47:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - From Shack to Hall Edition [Announcing the winners!] Reply to this Post

We have winners!

Corkskooner's Grand Foyer
Link to image

Pixelpixie's Cluttered Shack

The winners please PM me with:
* confirmation of pirate name and ocean to receive the prizes
* choice of in-game clothing (anything in any color purchasable from a tailor that doesn't require a Design or Reputation)
* real name and full mailing address for real-life prizes
* or a second in-game clothing item if you don't wish to have the real-life prize
* choice of Greenbones egg or doll, Fishheadred egg or doll or Bluebeard egg or doll!

Congratulations to all the winners and thank you all for participating!

[Oct 23, 2013 8:49:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - From Shack to Hall Edition [Announcing the winners!] Reply to this Post

Congratz Cork and Pixie! Great work! :D
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald

Cronus tells ye, "...it's Hera's doing. She spread those horrid lies of me eating poor innocent babies. *burp*"
Cronus tells ye, "When in doubt blame Hera"
[Oct 24, 2013 8:42:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

thank you and grats Cork :)
[Oct 24, 2013 10:31:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
corkskooner

When will these be in game?
[Nov 6, 2013 9:03:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

No definite date yet. Judging from previous months, I'd venture a guess and say between the 15-20 of this month :)

[Nov 9, 2013 10:21:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Portraits are in game!

[Nov 22, 2013 5:48:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 33   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates