• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 51
Posts: 51   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4062 times and has 50 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Create Atlantis-themed trinkets! [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Entries for this contest should be posted in the Entry Thread.

The aim of this event is to introduce player-created seasonal trinkets that will be available in treasure chests in Atlantis for a limited period.

Trinket Size
The final trinket size must be 36 pixels wide by 39 pixels high. Do not provide any image of your design larger than this. You will need to host your image on an external site so that you can post the image.

Background
The background should be transparent (or plain white if you do not know how to produce a transparent background). Please look at a tutorial for transparency here. The trinkets use indexed colors and therefore cannot have any semi-transparent elements. The arrrtists can touch things up if they have to, but providing an image ready to go into the game will increase your odds of getting selected.

Content
The trinket may represent anything that could be found in a treasure chest in Atlantis.

If you're depicting anything potentially anachronistic (that is, things that are more modern than the nominal game setting) make sure to make them piratey or appropriate in some way. Please avoid duplicating trinkets already in game.

Originality
Designs should be your own, and created specifically for this event. One exception to this rule is that you may base your entry on YOUR OWN entry from a previous contest!

Colors
You can design your trinket to come in a single color variation, or in a range of colors, as many of the trinkets do. If you wish to have the trinket available in multiple colors, please provide two versions of it, in different colors, so it is clear which elements of the trinket change with the color choice.

Please take a look at the trinket palette for Atlantean trinkets here

Style
You will want to design the trinket so that the artwork is compatible in style to the trinkets already in the game. Take a look at the Trinkets for an overview of the trinkets already available in Atlantis. It should be obvious, but no animation!

Availability
The intention for these trinkets is that the winning entries will be available in treasure chests in Atlantis. It is just possible that the arrrtists will choose to use the trinket in a different way - for example, being used as an event prize. The final decision will be made by the arrrtists.

Prizes
In addition to bragging rights, each winner will receive a couple of their own trinkets when they become available, a large display case (furniture item) and the Dread Masterpiece trophy (if they don't have it already).

Judging
There will be a single stage of judging, undertaken primarily by the arrrtists. They will identify the short list of trinkets that they would like to develop for inclusion in the game. They may wish to edit or adapt the trinket design to 'tweak' the design or to make it fit better with other in-game art. They may ask the player artist to make changes, or they may make changes themselves. The final decision on which trinkets are introduced to the game, and on the final design used, rests with these Ringers. Note that trinkets will only be introduced to the game if there are designs considered suitable. Trinkets chosen in this contest may be made available in-game on different dates and for different durations.

Number of entries
Each player may make just ONE entry post, and this post may include up to TWO designs.

How to enter, and deadline
Post your entry in the Entry Thread. Please include the following information at the top of your post:
* Pirate name:
* Ocean:
* Trinket name: (this is your name, but final name for the trinket will be an arrrtist decision)

If you have two trinket designs in your entry, remember to put in the entry information for both trinkets! If you intend the trinket to be available in multiple colors, include two versions of the trinket in different colors so that it is clear which pieces of the design change with each color choice.

Include your design as an image in the post (see link in next post) - not as a link.

The deadline is 11:59:59pm game time on Wednesday, October 13th, 2013.

Additional information:

Links:
Entry thread (again!)
Trinket page
Guide to setting transparency
Atlantis trinket palette
How to post an image on the forum
Reminder on how to reply to a post
Tips and tricks for entering events

Good luck, and have fun!

-------
Para leer el evento en español haz clic aquí
----------------------------------------

Hilando las hebras de la vida pirata...
[Edit 5 times, last edit by Clotho at Oct 23, 2013 8:24:25 PM]

[Sep 16, 2013 12:37:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

Re: Create Atlantis-themed trinkets! [Deadline: October 13, 2013] Reply to this Post

Nice competition, but this makes it SO much harder for trinket collectors..... :(
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Sep 17, 2013 6:03:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Ant_Eater

Re: Create Atlantis-themed trinkets! [Deadline: October 13, 2013] Reply to this Post

Nice competition, but this makes it SO much harder for trinket collectors..... :(

I completely agree with all the trinkets going around its honestly a nightmare to get a decent collection. Can you possibly have like 1-3 winners just so it's not like the Palace Shoppes where there are like 12 trinket winners.
Anteater on Cerulean
[Sep 17, 2013 7:08:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Hmm. I think I'm going to have to go the joke route and make sea monkies.

By the way...how come Atlantians don't have fish-ified monkies? That'd be adorable.
Cattrin of Midnight Cerulean (and sometimes Viridian Meridian)
Avatar by Apollo, Wiske, Shawe, Blakbead, Daeva, Angelira and Musicologist!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Sep 17, 2013 7:10:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

just means you have to get out more ~.^ Or send people out to get them for you!

Yay! trinket competition variety ^_^ hmmm...think its time to do some Atlantean research and go on a run or two...
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Sep 17, 2013 7:23:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Arrr! I don't have the specifics yet, but the plan is to give ample time to collect them.

[Sep 19, 2013 4:34:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Colors
You can design your trinket to come in a single color variation, or in a range of colors, as many of the trinkets do. If you wish to have the trinket available in multiple colors, please provide two versions of it, in different colors, so it is clear which elements of the trinket change with the color choice.

I've got a question about this. I've never done trinket art before. As I started, it quickly became apparent that the basic colors from the color palate wouldn't be enough; a good trinket would have shading. Does anyone have advice on the best way to alter shading between different base colors that would keep the coloration constant between the variations?
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by xelto at Sep 24, 2013 2:49:42 PM]
[Sep 24, 2013 2:48:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

I've got a question about this. I've never done trinket art before. As I started, it quickly became apparent that the basic colors from the color palate wouldn't be enough; a good trinket would have shading. Does anyone have advice on the best way to alter shading between different base colors that would keep the coloration constant between the variations?

When the rules talk about colours, they mean the range of colours available for purchase in, not how many colours you may use in your trinket.

You may use as many colours as your heart desires.

If you then, later on, decide you want your trinket to have an area of selectable colour, you can just alter that colour once and create a second version. In the end, it's the YPP arrtists who do the full range.

For example, my initial entry from a past contest:

I entered one red, one green and one gold coloured one, as suggested in the rules, as an example to show what colour changed where. The image itself has many, many, many different pixels of different colours not on the cloth colour list.

When it was implemented in game, it became available in the array of cloth colours.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by cattrin at Sep 24, 2013 4:24:00 PM]
[Sep 24, 2013 4:17:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

When the rules talk about colours, they mean the range of colours available for purchase in, not how many colours you may use in your trinket.

You may use as many colours as your heart desires.

If you then, later on, decide you want your trinket to have an area of selectable colour, you can just alter that colour once and create a second version.

Thanks, I did know that. I'm actually asking for the best technical way to alter the color. (I know that, to a certain extent, this is going to depend on the program being used to create the image. But it's been a long time since I did much computer drawing; back when I did it last, there wasn't an easy way without buying some real, real expensive software. I'm assuming that this may well have improved over the last decade+, and didn't want to re-invent the wheel if I didn't have to.)
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Sep 24, 2013 5:51:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Thanks, I did know that. I'm actually asking for the best technical way to alter the color. (I know that, to a certain extent, this is going to depend on the program being used to create the image. But it's been a long time since I did much computer drawing; back when I did it last, there wasn't an easy way without buying some real, real expensive software. I'm assuming that this may well have improved over the last decade+, and didn't want to re-invent the wheel if I didn't have to.)

Oh, I get you now.

What program are you using?

If you need me to, I can use Photoshop to alter a variable area very easily. I don't think that's against the rules, since I'm not really altering or adding to the original entry.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Sep 24, 2013 5:59:10 PM]
[Sep 24, 2013 5:58:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

ok so I am toying with the idea of a seaweed doll for those little Belator children...but cannot decide whether I should use the one with or without the seaweed in the background...so I will leave it to you guys for some feedback and guidance please! Also...should I keep the stitches in the arm or is it to much in the trinket size?

With:

Without:

With seaweed without stitch:

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Booful at Sep 29, 2013 3:19:12 PM]
[Sep 29, 2013 3:16:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

I want them all! <--- really useful feedback :p

[Sep 30, 2013 10:58:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Monopolistic

Dexla's Battlehorn is looking pretty good :) up for some competition!
Monopolist - Emerald Ocean
[Oct 1, 2013 9:00:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raalala

I want them all! <--- really useful feedback :p

So adorable. Dame Mermaid doll and Seaweed doll kktnx

Pixie I love all of them (Third one the most though I think) what if it's button eye color could be changed? -Sneaks away sneakily-
~ Bambeh

Johnydepp says; 'BatBam, your f-ing play on words fetish'
Priapus says; 'Mate, look at his screen, you could play chess on that.'

[Oct 1, 2013 9:05:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

tehe, I will leave color changing to the arrtists...was hard enough trying to get the right atlantean pallet theme as it was :) they have magics I do not possess as of yet :) And I think the third one will be the entry one :) *crosses fingers that it wins*
[Oct 1, 2013 10:39:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

tehe, I will leave color changing to the arrtists...was hard enough trying to get the right atlantean pallet theme as it was :) they have magics I do not possess as of yet :) And I think the third one will be the entry one :) *crosses fingers that it wins*
[Oct 1, 2013 10:40:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Monopolistic

This is the first time I've ever entered a competition like this before, it was pretty fun to get involved! Good luck guys!!
Monopolist - Emerald Ocean
[Oct 1, 2013 12:30:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Thanks for the compliment Monopolist! Good luck on your first venture into YPP events! It's a lot of fun if you enjoy exploring your more creative side!

And Bambeh- thanks! I'm really flattered you like my mermaid doll!

Still a lot of time left... I expect there will be tons more entries flooding in and I can't wait to see them all!
DEXLA LOUISA MIDNIGHT on Cerulean
[Oct 2, 2013 6:17:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dragonjayne

Ok, so I am an artist, and have been wanting to join some of the art competitions here, but I haven't ever used any kind computer programs to make my art. What do you guys recommend as the best(preferably free) program? At least to get started that is.
Thanks for any input :)
Dragonjayne of Emerald; Senior Officer and first mate of Never Die Alone.
[Oct 2, 2013 8:06:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Ok, so I am an artist, and have been wanting to join some of the art competitions here, but I haven't ever used any kind computer programs to make my art. What do you guys recommend as the best(preferably free) program? At least to get started that is.
Thanks for any input :)

Perhaps these 2 links will be of some help?
[Artists] Y!PP Art Tutorials
Tips and Tricks for Entering Events
[Oct 2, 2013 8:16:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dragonjayne

Ooh, thank ye. 0.0
Probably wont have anything in time for this competition, but I'll sure be around in the future.
BTW, all the entries are looking great so far. Good luck!
Dragonjayne of Emerald; Senior Officer and first mate of Never Die Alone.
[Oct 2, 2013 9:58:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Ooh, thank ye. 0.0
Probably wont have anything in time for this competition, but I'll sure be around in the future.
BTW, all the entries are looking great so far. Good luck!

you will find trinkets are actually really fast to create! (take at most a few hours, no more! Especially because they are so small you dont want too many details anyways!)
I used paint.net as my first program, its free and easy to use and all the tools you need is in it. I also draw a image on paper. scan, redraw the black lines and color. (I think I included trinkets in the one art tutorial link that Dexla included!) Also I started with a mouse so not having a tablet is not a excuse ~.^ (though if you plan to pursue digital art I highly recommend getting one, unless your a masochist in which case stay with mouse)
Would love to see more entries and more people's art! Welcome to the wonderful world of YPP art contests! ^_^
[Oct 2, 2013 10:15:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

(though if you plan to pursue digital art I highly recommend getting one, unless your a masochist in which case stay with mouse)

<-- masochist
I was taught to draw on a computer with a mouse first, so it's second nature. I have a wacom tablet collecting dust under my sofa.
[Oct 2, 2013 10:54:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

(though if you plan to pursue digital art I highly recommend getting one, unless your a masochist in which case stay with mouse)

<-- masochist
I was taught to draw on a computer with a mouse first, so it's second nature. I have a wacom tablet collecting dust under my sofa.

o.O how can you! now that I have discovered the ease and magic of a tablet I cannot even imagine a trinket created with a mouse o.O
[Oct 2, 2013 3:20:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cedie007

Now i get it!, i wonder how pixel pixie made a not so pixelated image,.... then i saw her post,... she made it on high reso image and then just made it small,.. cool :D

^_~ winks

thanks for the technique ahahaha
Demorga of Sage Emerald
[Oct 4, 2013 7:28:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Now i get it!, i wonder how pixel pixie made a not so pixelated image,.... then i saw her post,... she made it on high reso image and then just made it small,.. cool :D

^_~ winks

thanks for the technique ahahaha

tehe welcome :) I used a 360 x 390 resolution for my newest entry...not sure how it manages to keep as much detail in such a small thing but it does...word of caution though...you still lose a LOT of details when you shrink so don't go too overboard!!! (I tend to do that >.<) plus its easier to shrink to a 36 x 39 when i only have to take away a "0" :) (I used to make a very complicated formula so I worked closer to the size, but gave up since my math sucks...)
[Oct 4, 2013 9:34:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Whoever said pirates should do math? Plank it I say!

[Oct 4, 2013 1:18:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Yes! Plus one for Clotho! Oh wait, does that count as math?
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

[Oct 4, 2013 2:08:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

Then how would the game come about? ;)
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Oct 4, 2013 2:58:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

On second thought, we do need to know how many coins we hid in those treasure boxes...

[Oct 4, 2013 4:00:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 51   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates