• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1895 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
jlh0605

Jamesh's Tiny Sinkfest #1! Reply to this Post

Have you ever wanted to watch your pirate walk while missing a leg? Have you ever wanted to sport an eye patch in all your duty reports and portraits? Have you ever wanted a permanent gaff attached to your wrist? Then you're in the right place! Jamesh is running his first Sinkfest!

What is a Sinkfest?
Simply put, a Sinkfest is where a bunch of people get together to sink a bunch of ships! Any pirate who owns a sloop can sail it into a sinking blockade and sink - but that only gets them one sink, and they've lost the ship. A Sinkfest allows you to sink multiple times for only a single ship! There have been several sinking events run in the past, such as this one and this one.

How will this Sinkfest work?
Illusion will declare a sinking event blockade on Hubble's Eye. My alt, Sinkfestalt, will sail a longship into the blockade. My main will sail one sloop into the blockade. We will line up and be sunk by the longship. After the sloop sinks, I will go to the second sloop, and we repeat the process until all seven sloops are sunk. I will do this entire process twice - once at the beginning of the first round, and again at the beginning of the second round.

When is it, again?
Round 1: Wednesday, September 18, 2013, at 10:00 am Pirate Time.
Round 2: Wednesday, September 18, 2013, at 11:04(ish) am Pirate Time.

What's the cost?
There are two payment options that will allow you to participate in the Sinkfest.
Option 1: 5K PoE AND 1 (one) Sloop (location doesn't matter)
OR
Option 2: 65K PoE

How do I sign up?
You must sign up and pay by Monday, September 16, at 12:00 pm (noon) pirate time.
Due to a variety of circumstances, signups are extended until 30 minutes before the event. Please have your ship moved to Hubble's Eye at least 10 minutes before the event starts.

• There are two ways to sign up:
    Option 1 (preferred): Reply to this thread, stating that you wish to participate.
    Option 2 (acceptable): Send me a forum PM
  • To pay: Contact Jamesh in-game. He will be available mostly during the mornings/early afternoons (pirate time).
The first 12 (twelve) pirates who contact me in either of these ways will be added to the Pending list in the post below. Sign-ups will be handled in a first-come, first-serve basis. No priority will be given to any pirate, crew, or flag (except for my pirate - Jamesh). When signing up, please specify which round(s) you would like to participate in.

Standby
Hopefully, more than 12 pirates will want to participate. Unfortunately, only 12 pirates can. To this end, I am creating a standby list. If any pirate in the Pending list (in the next post) does not pay their fee by Monday, September 16, at 12:00 pm (noon) pirate time, ALL of the pirates on the Standby list will be contacted by forum PM, and will be told that a standby pirate will be allowed to participate. All pirates on the Standby list will be treated equally. For a Standby pirate to participate, they MUST provide their own sloop, and they MUST have it ported at Hubble's Eye, ready to go at Wednesday, September 18, 2013, at 9:50 am Pirate Time. At 9:50, once the Confirmed pirates are loaded, all online Standby pirates will be contacted. If more Standby pirates are ready and able to participate than spots are available, I will do my best to be fair to all parties involved.

Gunners
The Sinkfest cannot run without help! For a Sinkfest this small, the only help I foresee needing is from gunners. I will need two gunners and one backup for each round. Gunners will need to be at least Renowned ocean-wide standing, and will need to be able to stay until all 7 sloops are sunk. Gunners will be paid 2,000 PoE each round they gun. If you want to sign up, please sign up in either of the two ways listed above.

Watchers
If anybody wants to watch the Sinkfest from the longship, I guess I can let them do that. The only "payment" I'd ask is that they help get the three moves to leave the blockade after the Sinkfest is done.

I've signed up, or am on the Standby list, now what?
If you're CONFIRMED: Show up by Wednesday, September 18, 2013, at 9:50 am Pirate Time, and you're in! That's it!
If you're PENDING: Pay your fee. Fees can be paid to Jamesh. If they are not paid by Monday, September 16, at 12:00 pm (noon) pirate time, you will be placed on the Standby list, and will be treated as any other Standby pirate.
If you're STANDBY: There's nothing you can do to move into the Pending or Confirmed lists... but you can move a sloop to Hubble's Eye by Wednesday, September 18, 2013, at 9:50 am Pirate Time, just in case a spot opens. Keep in mind, too, that if I run any additional Sinkfests, pirates who never made it off of the Standby list will be given priority.
If you're GUNNER: Thanks for your willingness to help! Just be ready to be jobbed at Wednesday, September 18, 2013, at 9:50 am Pirate Time.
If you're WATCHER: Be ready at Wednesday, September 18, 2013, at 9:50 am Pirate Time, and wait to be jobbed!
----------------------------------------
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Edit 10 times, last edit by jlh0605 at Sep 18, 2013 6:57:03 AM]
[Sep 9, 2013 10:28:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

Re: Jamesh's Tiny Sinkfest #1! Reply to this Post

This is a list of the pirates who will be participating in the Sinkfest.

ROUND 1
Confirmed:
Jamesh (Sink Festival)
Carlbert (Deceitful Grunion)
Unicorness (PoE)
Kait (Active Tigerfish)
Paw (PoE)
Timmothy (PoE)
Monopolist (PoE)

Pending:
Amylea
Nimes

Standby:

Gunners:
Ninty-East
Halibut

Watchers:
Zamydapwrful

ROUND 2
Confirmed:
Jamesh (Thankful Plaice)
Carlbert (Merry Sprat)
Callmetekua (PoE)
Kait (Fat Herring)
Paw (PoE)
Monopolist (PoE)
Timmothy (PoE)

Pending:

Standby:

Gunners:
Ninty-East
Halibut

Watchers:
Zamydapwrful
~Jamesh on Emerald

[Edit 19 times, last edit by jlh0605 at Sep 18, 2013 10:33:13 AM]
[Sep 9, 2013 10:29:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

Q AND A Post
Q: Previous Sinkfests have been run with war brigs. Why are you using sloops?
A: Good question! There are two main reasons for using smaller ships. First, it means less hassle to organize, which makes it easier to run. Second, an event as fun as Sinkfest shouldn?t be limited to those who can afford a war brig. A sloop is relatively cheap, and is more easily accessible to newer (or poorer) players.

Q: I already have to provide or pay for a sloop, why is there an additional charge?
A: Put simply, the event isn't free. Cannonballs and rum have to be bought, ships have to be swabbied, gunners need to get paid, and trinkets will be bought for participants who want them. Yes, I make some (though not much) profit myself to make it worth my time, but I believe that the fee of 5,000 PoE is not excessive.

Q: I can buy a sloop for cheaper than 60,000 PoE... Why is that price option so high?
A: Yes, a sloop is cheaper than 60,000 PoE... But I don't want to have to find a seller (or order the ship) myself. If you want to save the difference, then buy the sloop yourself. :)

Q: I have multiple alts I would like to sign up. Can I?
A: Simply put, No. While I cannot completely prevent alts from participating (I don't always know who is an alt and who isn't), I will do my best to prevent this from happening. However, if future Sinkfests are run, the alt could participate in that one.

Q: Why only 14 ships? Why not more?
A: This Sinkfest is a test run. I am gauging pirate interest, financial feasibility, and finding any problems I can. If this Sinkfest is a success, I may run future events, possibly including more or bigger ships. We'll see how this one goes.

Q: I don't want to participate, but can I help?
A: Sure! Contact me (via forum PM or in-game, preferably), and I'll see how you can help me!

Q: Is there any way I can remember this awesome event?
A: For each participant and gunner, I will be willing to buy and inscribe a Looped Ribbon trinket to help you remember the awesomeness of this day!

Q: How will you handle disconnects?
A: If a participant disconnects, I will wait up to three minutes for them to reconnect. After that, however, the run will continue, without them if needs be.

Q: How many total sinks are there?
A: There will be 14 (fourteen) total sinks, in two rounds of seven. If you want to participate in all 14, you need to sign up for both rounds. That includes paying twice.

Q: Can I get my bottled ship back?
A: Absolutely! After each round of the sinkfest, I will happily trade you back your ship bottle.

Q: We've been having lag issues recently. What do you plan to do about that?
A: The declared blockade will have more than two rounds. If the oceans are too laggy to run the event, I will attempt to delay it one round. If it is still too laggy, I will reschedule the event, and will refund any participant who does not choose to participate in the new event.
~Jamesh on Emerald

[Edit 7 times, last edit by jlh0605 at Sep 11, 2013 6:05:53 PM]
[Sep 9, 2013 10:29:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Kaitysue

You can count me in for 2 rounds!
Kait on Emerald
Queen of Rebound
Senior Officer of Dynamite Residue
[Sep 9, 2013 10:55:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SailinTony

Carlbert says "yes please." At least one round, I'll talk to you in-game.

I'm not sure if you've edited it, but your post in the "first ever Emerald sink fest" was a link to an Ice discussion thread.

EDIT: I just checked, it is still a link to the Ice discussion post. Also, thanks for organizing this event, I don't look nearly as grizzled as I should!
Long-dormant Sailintony , Midnight.
Actively Carlbert, Emerald.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by SailinTony at Sep 10, 2013 9:10:25 AM]
[Sep 10, 2013 9:03:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cottages

Put me in for one round.

Nimes.
[Sep 11, 2013 10:17:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

It's over!

The Sinkfest was a lot of fun, I was glad to be able to run it. Sadly, there was only one injury (pegleg, 7th sink, to Timmothy).

I may run another event in the future, so keep your eyes here!

Thanks to the particpants for coming, Illusion for owning Hubble's Eye, and Squishat for setting up the blockade.
~Jamesh on Emerald

[Sep 18, 2013 11:00:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates