• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 21
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1498 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
DumbDull

War cryes! Reply to this Post

Hi all,
don't remember if I've already posted so I present myself: I'm Fabrizio (Dull in the game) and I want to ask if there's a way to create custom commands. I mean... during puzzles I sometimes need to CRY something... you know... things like warcries, but I usually have a very little time.
So... it's possibile to create simple aliases?
Like /alias cry="crew Don't kill... SLAUGHTER!"
So I just type /cry and it tells those silly words to the crew, makin'em bloodthirsty MWUHAHAHAHA! ;-)
It would be useful to do something similiar to explain how to team during a battle or stuff like that.
Is there something similiar? Should I propose it in the Game Design forum or it's a stupid idea?
Thanks.
[Jun 3, 2005 1:51:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stefsorceror

Re: War cryes! Reply to this Post

how about the /emote or /e or /em or /me command?
----------------------------------------
Tibiaking. Member of TTB, SN. Too cool to have a quote in my signature.

Disclaimer: None of my posts are ment to be offensive. Any tarting about the offensiveness of my posts will be ingored.
[Jun 3, 2005 2:05:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

stefsorceror wrote: 
how about the /emote or /e or /em or /me command?

I believe he's asking for pre-programmed commands that automatically send a full message.
for example:
Typing "/newboard" on a ship would automatically send "Bostonian says, "Ahoy mate! Please take a station." (or whatever pre-programmed text you enter).

This is used often in popular chat mediums, specifically IRC. Aliases are common unix commands, so I see no reason why they couldn't be implemented with some work...but to directly answer the OP question, no, they do not currently exist in this game.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Jun 3, 2005 2:08:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DumbDull

No, wait... I mean... I set one time the alias, and then I can use just that command forever, writing a whole motto with a single fast command.
[Jun 3, 2005 2:17:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DumbDull

rixation wrote: 

for example:
Typing "/newboard" on a ship would automatically send "Bostonian says, "Ahoy mate! Please take a station." (or whatever pre-programmed text you enter).

Exactly! So... I'll ask it in the Game design forum. Thanks.
[Jun 3, 2005 2:24:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sunnylc2

I use a program called ShortKeys Lite. It allows me to program my battle cries and any other thing. http://www.shortkeys.com/lite.htm

For example, when I get asked my a greenie what the best way is to make money, I simply type ..poe and the program automatically replaces it with "The best way is by pillaging. You can use the notice board to find a job. You can job with a pillaging crew or on a navy ship. Pillaging crews make more money, though. Have fun!"
Sunny
[Jun 3, 2005 3:05:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lothario

If you have another program interfacing with the game in any way shape or form, I believe you are in direct violation of the ToS and are at risk of being banned.
[Jun 3, 2005 4:28:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Does replacement text like this give an unfair advantage to a player? It's not as though it's a sword-fighting or bilging bot.

Faulkston,
not my call anyway
[Jun 3, 2005 4:39:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Amosko

Faulkston wrote: 
Does replacement text like this give an unfair advantage to a player? It's not as though it's a sword-fighting or bilging bot.

Faulkston,
not my call anyway

If that is the criterion, then the Wonderful Icon should not be allowed. It certainly gives an advantage on Sea Battle boards.
Zebulan, Scribe of Innocent of Silver Dawn!
The Ruby Arch: More fun than a barrel!!
[Jun 3, 2005 5:05:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Amosko wrote: 
Faulkston wrote: 

Faulkston,
not my call anyway

If that is the criterion, then the Wonderful Icon should not be allowed. It certainly gives an advantage on Sea Battle boards.

Interesting point. Should people with huge monitors be allowed the advantage of excessive screen real estate?

Faulkston,
where do the restrictions end?
[Jun 3, 2005 5:20:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Faulkston wrote: 
Faulkston,

They end at Three Rings' ability to enforce them.
[Jun 3, 2005 5:32:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

homullus wrote: 
Faulkston wrote: 
Faulkston,

They end at Three Rings' ability to enforce them.

Exactly.

Faulkston,
the Windows Task Manager can perform a similar resizing as The Wonderful Icon. No need for third party programs
[Jun 3, 2005 5:39:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

I dunno, I read the ToS text in the following spirit:

Interfacing 3rd party programs that manipulate the game environment to the detriment of the game world are disallowed, and if used, will result in banning.

Enlarging the screen real estate isn't THAT big an advantage in Sea Battle (I mean, I usually nav from the crow's nest anyway, and that's more than big enough to see what I need to see).

Shortcutting text is not an issue either, IMO. Unless it's used for spamming.

Stuff that would be a problem is something that monitors rum prices and keeps undercutting them... Or automatically buying everything from a market to create an artificial shortage so the player could sell back at profit.
Cleaver shouts, "I lub this island."
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[Jun 3, 2005 5:42:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DumbDull

Thanks Sunnylc!
And sorry for the typo in the thread title.
[Jun 3, 2005 5:51:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Falkenberg

Emerson, that was basically what Cleaver said when I wrote him about using shortkeys about 2 months ago for helping greenies. Im sure though that using it for spamming, or swearing would be considered very bad.
Falkenberg - All oceans, but homed on Midnight
Proud owner of the Millennian Falkun, Dead Starfish, and X Wingfish on Midnight.
[Jun 3, 2005 6:43:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://twitter.com/@_woebetide_ [Link]  Go to top 
Lothario

well if all of that is true, then why was someone banned for making a program that just pushed the space bar every few seconds to avoid timing out. that program was less invasive and did not give anyone an edge in anything.

Casanova
just wondering if we're all playing by the same rules?
[Jun 3, 2005 7:30:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=203364#203364
Lizthegrey was not a Developer at the time of that post.

Faulkston,
preventing continuous idling when commodities were forageable was important
[Jun 3, 2005 7:49:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

Doing phrase keybinding has been on my personal wishlist for quite some time. I've got a version rigged up for the greeters right now which relies upon sending them modified game files, but that's not viable in the longterm. So, you might be seeing this in the near future.
[Jun 3, 2005 9:35:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
zoip

DumbDull wrote: 
Hi all,
don't remember if I've already posted so I present myself: I'm Fabrizio (Dull in the game) and I want to ask if there's a way to create custom commands. I mean... during puzzles I sometimes need to CRY something... you know... things like warcries, but I usually have a very little time.
So... it's possibile to create simple aliases?
Like /alias cry="crew Don't kill... SLAUGHTER!"
So I just type /cry and it tells those silly words to the crew, makin'em bloodthirsty MWUHAHAHAHA! ;-)
It would be useful to do something similiar to explain how to team during a battle or stuff like that.
Is there something similiar? Should I propose it in the Game Design forum or it's a stupid idea?
Thanks.

I agree--aliases would be great.

In the meantime, "omg" and, better yet, "asl", make fer wonderfully absurd battle cries when used in moderation.
drstupid wrote: 
If [your argument] is "good enough" for you, then having the reanimated corpse of Ludwig Wittgenstein throttle you in your sleep is too good for you.

[Jun 3, 2005 11:08:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jmucchiello

Lizthegrey wrote: 
Doing phrase keybinding has been on my personal wishlist for quite some time. I've got a version rigged up for the greeters right now which relies upon sending them modified game files, but that's not viable in the longterm. So, you might be seeing this in the near future.
I would think this would be as simple as an extra page on the options screen. It's an entirely client side change to the program.

The screen has a large list box contain the current remaps:

/x = /me runs around screaming "no, no, no, no"
/y = Why me? Why me?

then there are two entry fields below the list box (one short, one long). Below the entry field are add and clear buttons.
Typing text in the short and long entries fields activates the add button. Hitting "add" adds the remap to the list box.
Clicking a line in the listbox puts that remap into the short and long entry field and renames the "add" button "edit".
Clicking clear clears the entry fields, deselects any selected line in the listbox, and renames "edit" to "add" and disables it.

Somewhere there should be a delete box to delete entries from the list box.

Remaps are not recursive: so if you added "/z" as "/x" to the above example, "/x" would be sent to the chat processing code.

Word remaps could also be done but I'd worry about recursion there. Coding to the chat box would just need to call a function to perform the remaps before sending the string to the server. Sounds like about few days coding to me (as long as it doesn't do recursion).
Colorbeard on all the Oceans
SO of Six Leagues Under (Midnight)
FO of SPAM (Cobalt)
[Jun 13, 2005 3:56:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Siggy

/em knows of several people who use 3'rd party key binds just to attempt to keep the Inn on DN in Viridian under control.
Sig

Owner: Sig Supply Network

What happens when you beat whiny sword fighters with overpowered trash swords...

Imcolorblind auto-responds, "sig hacks sf :) try and see".

[Jun 13, 2005 5:08:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    JPINFV [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates