• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 41
Posts: 41   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8500 times and has 40 replies Next Thread
Erics1

Doubloon prices are.. Reply to this Post

I represent the doubs are too damn high party. People are working 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week and in the summer going on four Atlantis runs and three pillages. Officers can't afford to take care of their Crew members, no crew hall, and badgeless officers who can't run anything. My main goal is to provide deeds in your pocket, pieces of eight in your hand, and stock in your holds.
This is politics as usual, playing the silly game. Gold boxes, LE boxes, Black boxes, Royal Blue furniture. Listen -- Someones badge just dusted and they have no way to replace it. Did you hear it? Gotta listen like me. Let's talk about the issue, people can't afford to buy their badges. Why? Because the Doubloons are too damn high. As a Pirate Expert I will not talk about anyone else on here. Our crew members can't afford to live anywhere. Nowhere. There is nowhere to go. Once again why? You said it. The doubloons are too damn high.

Vote for me and I will fix this struggling economy!
----------------------------------------
Erics on all oceans

War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

It is, and always will be "Sage".
[Aug 11, 2013 8:38:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ccarlson08

Re: Doubloon prices are.. Reply to this Post

I represent the doubs are too damn high party. People are working 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week and in the summer going on four Atlantis runs and three pillages. Officers can't afford to take care of their Crew members, no crew hall, and badgeless officers who can't run anything. My main goal is to provide deeds in your pocket, pieces of eight in your hand, and stock in your holds.
This is politics as usual, playing the silly game. Gold boxes, LE boxes, Black boxes, Royal Blue furniture. Listen -- Someones badge just dusted and they have no way to replace it. Did you hear it? Gotta listen like me. Let's talk about the issue, people can't afford to buy their badges. Why? Because the Doubloons are too damn high. As a Pirate Expert I will not talk about anyone else on here. Our crew members can't afford to live anywhere. Nowhere. There is nowhere to go. Once again why? You said it. The doubloons are too damn high.

Vote for me and I will fix this struggling economy!

I'm so confused....
Aiplaeso tells ye "the shoppes are beautiful works of art"
Aiplaeso tells ye, "pls call me Leonardo Da Vinci

Soulsearcher tells ye, "Ameer was a sith lord once"
[Aug 11, 2013 8:42:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cartrunner

+1 vote
Ye told Hera, "eggspammer."
Ye told Hera, "reported."
Hera tells ye, "<3"

Aurorakim tells ye, "you're my new hero"
[Aug 11, 2013 8:46:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Furreal5

The Rent is too damn high!
Maxamoose of Emerald

Prince- Stay Classy

SO- Hashtag
[Aug 11, 2013 8:51:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vireyda

Come to Cerulean where everything is cheaper and you don't even need doubs? :)
Vireyda
Midnight Cerulean
SO of Phire Phoenix

KP PIMPED my Avvie!
[Aug 11, 2013 9:26:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BottyBaby666

I completely agree

Doubloon prices really are way to high, even whenever you have to buy with poe they are still way too high.

Poe Wise

I would really like to see them in the exchange drop the prices down a bit. 2k is a rather extreme price for dubs. And they whole exact price thing is horrible,
*Say you wanna buy a dub and its 12k then you have to pay 12 dubs for delivery.

Delivery is complete bullshit anyways, when you think about it..
Your at a shoppe ight, then all of this sudden something in your mind is like Hey you should buy a sloop AT THIS SHOPPE, YOU ARE AT RIGHT NOW, an you do so.

What the hell is the delivery fee for???

Also what exactly are the Game Makers making from the doubloons, in real life money Probaly a hand full but in game not a danm thing, so really whats the point of delivery's??

I mean I'm not saying just get rid of doubloons period but bring the price down and fix the delivery fee system. Maybe do half of what the item cost (aka, dog cost 12k 12 dubs then instead of making it 12 dubs make it half and do 6k.) You feel me homie??? XD

You can already tell..

You can already tell how fucking stupid how much doubloons cost in real life. Its a complete rip off to the max.
2.99$ for 12 dubs??? Bullcrap!

I dont want to have to pay a million dollars just to feel like i actually put my money into something good. You know how long 12 dubs last to most people in game? Like 2 minutes.. So complete dumbass prices in real life.

My rage is gone.. Pzzl out
[Aug 11, 2013 10:33:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

I don't see the problem.

Doubloons are still approximately $0.24, and have been for 8 years.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Aug 11, 2013 10:42:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Mistivz

Uh what?
Pzzl
#Can'tStopWontStop #MileyCirussTwerrrk
[Aug 11, 2013 10:52:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Cartrunner

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH
Ye told Hera, "eggspammer."
Ye told Hera, "reported."
Hera tells ye, "<3"

Aurorakim tells ye, "you're my new hero"
[Aug 12, 2013 3:44:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mistivz

Lol
Pzzl
#Can'tStopWontStop #MileyCirussTwerrrk
[Aug 12, 2013 4:39:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

If 12 dubs last you 2 mins, you need help.

Unless of course 3,153,600 dubs is normal for you a year... (7.5 bill PoE a year based on 2400/dub)

Exaggeration goes a long way eh?
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[Aug 12, 2013 7:44:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

Yep...come on over! No doubs! :) Delivery fee...whaaa?

And are you all just yelling at each other? Players drive the prices of the doubs up and down.
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[Aug 12, 2013 7:52:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Furreal5

Wait people are taking this thread serious?
Maxamoose of Emerald

Prince- Stay Classy

SO- Hashtag
[Aug 12, 2013 10:44:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Miley1

I think dubs prices are fine, $10 gets you 100/110k (Depending on sell prices) I'm tempted though to spend $200 for 2m+ poe though.

Edit: Fixed it up.
Emerald Ocean
I hate Kaltrina
Giamia says, "whats the cheapest familiar besides a rat"
Ladyhollie greeter chats, "the guy who does the shiny voice in treasure haul...is it the same one from the outback commercials
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Miley1 at Aug 12, 2013 11:03:37 AM]
[Aug 12, 2013 10:59:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AOL LOOOOOOOOOL    LOL? [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

Was this a parody of a political speech I missed?
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Aug 12, 2013 11:11:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ant_Eater

Anteater on Cerulean
[Aug 12, 2013 11:25:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

Sadly, I've seen an awful lot of dub players who genuinely do not understand how they work.
Redjenny, Now merged with Health Nutz
Thebloggess wrote: 
A hug is like a strangle you haven't finished yet!

[Aug 12, 2013 12:50:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Furreal5

I believe he is parodying it off of some SNL skit.
Maxamoose of Emerald

Prince- Stay Classy

SO- Hashtag
[Aug 12, 2013 2:08:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Immaboss

It was a political member running for I believe a mayor (??) position in some New York city and his main political argument was the rent was too damn high.
Immastar on Meridian and Cerulean
[Aug 12, 2013 2:10:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Furreal5

It was a political member running for I believe a mayor (??) position in some New York city and his main political argument was the rent was too damn high.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4o-TeMHys0
Maxamoose of Emerald

Prince- Stay Classy

SO- Hashtag
[Aug 12, 2013 2:14:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

We've had this discussion before... doubloons cost 25 cents a piece - same as they have for years. No inflation. No shortages.

Don't want to keep buying doubloons? Come to Cerulean, where the "long term customer" discount gives you EVERYTHING DOUBLOON FREE for just $4.16 a month.
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Aug 12, 2013 3:53:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

LJAmethyst, further up, wrote: 

marundel wrote: 
We've had this discussion before... doubloons cost 25 cents a piece - same as they have for years. No inflation. No shortages.

What? You mean doubloon prices have gone up over the course of this very thread? I say, this is an absolute outrage. I've half a mind to give someone what for.
[Aug 13, 2013 2:56:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

LJAmethyst, further up, wrote: 

marundel wrote: 

What? You mean doubloon prices have gone up over the course of this very thread? I say, this is an absolute outrage. I've half a mind to give someone what for.

Rounding error ;)
SO, Boochin' Drunks

[Aug 13, 2013 3:28:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

Loooooooooool!!! You all crack me up! That was great! :)
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[Aug 13, 2013 6:11:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

Eh that 'it's the same price IRL' argument always annoys me. The in game price of doubloons has a serious effect on playability and in-game doubloon inflation is a serious issue in keeping new players interested, as well as affecting cost/benefit decisions on things like running HS (not really worth it) or CI (a lot less worth it than it used to be), ability to enter the blockade scene (though jobber pay is the no. 1 problem there, if WFs are 250k not 200k it has a serious impact), whether to buy badges etc.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Aug 13, 2013 10:33:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

Eh that 'it's the same price IRL' argument always annoys me. The in game price of doubloons has a serious effect on playability and in-game doubloon inflation is a serious issue in keeping new players interested, as well as affecting cost/benefit decisions on things like running HS (not really worth it) or CI (a lot less worth it than it used to be), ability to enter the blockade scene (though jobber pay is the no. 1 problem there, if WFs are 250k not 200k it has a serious impact), whether to buy badges etc.

It's the "doubloons cost too much PoE" argument that always annoys me. The doubloon exchange is a player-driven market - not a OOO scheme to make money. Someone has to buy doubloons for RL cash in order to put them up for sale on the exchange in the first place; but it's the players themselves who set the price... and they will set the price at whatever the market will bear. If the price is high or keeps moving higher, it's because someone out there is paying that amount of PoE. In other words, for someone, it's not too expensive. If no one was willing to pay it, the price would drop. This also happens when the supply significantly exceeds the demand, since many people will reduce the price in order to make the trade.

"Free" players always want OOO to interfere and artificially affect the PoE cost; but that makes no sense. OOO is in the business to make a profit, and they don't make a profit selling doubloons for PoE. They make a profit selling them for real money. They talk about the PoE cost of doubloons as if there is no real money involved, or as if PoE was the primary method of purchasing doubloons rather than an alternative option. IMO, this is a fairly arrogant position for "free" players to take. If you want a blockade fleet, or you want to SMH all week, or you want to complete a collection of some particular item, then by all means - spend $$. But for the love of all the gods in whatever heaven you may believe in, stop whining about being able to play for free.
SO, Boochin' Drunks

[Aug 14, 2013 3:27:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
UJP

Sadly, I've seen an awful lot of dub players who genuinely do not understand how they work.

I buy mine with POE I earn on YPP not real $$ so the price on market is assumed fair. There would be an issue for me if I was spending 'real' money perhaps this is where confusing arises for some players
The Prettiest Ole Salt on the Ocean
Luvverly / Kowhai / Liljake
**Known by this and other names on various oceans**
[Aug 14, 2013 3:50:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

There are some parts of the game where dubs are just a micropayment to let you play (e.g. officer badges, delivery fees on swords, etc.), but as Bobjanova points out, there are other parts of the game were you have to treat dubs as just another consumable, such replacing ships in sinking environments, apoths putting paint on the market, tailors putting clothes on the rack, etc. In the latter areas, if the cost of the dubs in PoE terms can't be recovered, people will simply stop doing those things. No one is going to pay thousands of dollars to buy the dubs needed to build a good tailor rack.

While it is true that the PoE<->dub exchange is player driven, it is also driven by the game design. The players pick the exact number, but OOO picks the overall range by making game design decisions. If OOO had chosen to price gold boxes in PoE instead of dubs (like they did on sub oceans), the PoE value of dub would drop dramatically ever few months instead of shooting up. This in turn would have meant that people who were desperately trying to sell dubs to get PoE to buy gold boxes would have had to sell more dubs. And this, in turn, would have let more people play "for free", thus making the oceans more active and fun.

There is also nothing that says that OOO *can't* interfere with PoE<->dub exchange. If they put dubs on the market, that would not actually cost them anything (they can magic up any number of them) and it would really be just a PoE sink. Likewise, OOO buying dubs off the exchange would not cost them anything, it would be a PoE fountain.

I suspect that OOO would sell more dubs overall if they tweaked the game so that the exchange rate was closer to 1k than 3k, but I don't have access to anywhere near as good of information as OOO does.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Aug 14, 2013 4:39:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

Your assessment assumes certain motives on the part of both the company and the player base... motives that might not be so; or if they are, they are not as all encompassing as you would make them out to believe.

On a sub ocean, a free player pays exactly the same price for everything that he/she purchases as a sub'd player would. The limits are similar to what a badgeless player on a doub ocean would face - they can't go on SMH, they can't be a Pirate or officer in a crew or royalty in a flag, they can't wear certain clothes or use certain weapons, and so on.

Based on personal experience as well as stories from others, I believe there are a number of free players on the sub ocean that are perfectly content with this arrangement and are happy to play for free with the limitations involved. These would be the same players that won't sub no matter how cheap it is or what promotion is running. The doub oceans have a corresponding player who will not buy doubs either with cash or on the exchange.

You also have players who have never purchased a black box or gold chest and never plan to... so why would they layout for something they don't want? Those people will never buy doubs for this purpose, either for cash or on the exchange. Others live and breathe for the special boxes and the chance for something rare and unusual. These people will buy doubs no matter what the cost - one way or the other.

There are many more examples... but the real meat of it is that there are about 60%-70% of players "in the middle". These are the players who may sub for a couple of months to make some offline labor profit... who may buy doubs just to see what buying a black box feels like... who may want to try the bnav mission or occasionally do an SMH (rather than fanatically jump on two or three a day... every day). In short - the casual player.

Now - I suspect from OOO's perspective, they wish to target the casual player for doub sales. These are the guys who probably buy a package of 42... use about half, then put the rest up for sale on the exchange. These are the enablers. OOO wants to sell as many of those packages as they can. So, they constantly put out LE ships - a ridiculous number - because a casual player who collects LE ships might buy a doub package in order to get the ship.

Now, players on the other hand are a different animal. The rabid and fanatical players are the ones who are constantly buying badges, constantly taking delivery of goods, the shopkeepers, the SMH runners, the royals and the captains, etc. These people have a huge appetite for doubloons, but many of them may not have the real-life budget to support that habit. This is an entirely different motivation. These guys will pay what they can, but when they start running short and need more, they will turn to the exchange. And that's when the complaints start coming in. When the price is up, they have to puzzle for two hours to get the PoE for doubs that they used to be able to get in just one hour. So now they have an issue... they have to puzzle twice as long which means either less time in their favorite pursuits or less time out of game doing other stuff in the real world. They check their priorities and commitments, and decide that the solution has to lie in making it easier to get the free doubs. First logical solution...? Harp on the company to lower the exchange price...

...but now we're back to OOO's motivation. If the exchange price is higher, maybe in their minds more people will take the cash option rather than the PoE option. If the exchange price is higher, maybe the casual players will buy a larger package in order to earn more PoE with the extras. In the end, the higher exchange prices are likely good for OOO's bottom line.

Still... how many doubloon players are there on the two green oceans, and how many are actively griping about the exchange prices? I'm betting it's a really small percentage, and I'm betting that it's based on their motivations and priorities.
SO, Boochin' Drunks

[Aug 14, 2013 3:54:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

There are many more examples... but the real meat of it is that there are about 60%-70% of players "in the middle". These are the players who may sub for a couple of months to make some offline labor profit... who may buy doubs just to see what buying a black box feels like... who may want to try the bnav mission or occasionally do an SMH (rather than fanatically jump on two or three a day... every day). In short - the casual player.

This statement stands at odds with data from Cleaver himself, namely that 90% of players never pay a single penny. Now it's possible to reconcile the statements, perhaps by distinguishing between active and inactive players; regardless, if you're gonna throw around numbers like that, you're gonna need a citation.
Tanonev on all oceans; currently exploring Meridian.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Aug 15, 2013 3:15:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 41   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates