• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 89
Posts: 89   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6552 times and has 88 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Black Market Background Contest - [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

For a number of years now, there has been an ongoing Portrait Background Contest that follows a specific schedule. This time, we would like to issue an additional portrait background challenge! This event is not meant to substitute or replace the existing portrait background contest event, but rather add a new twist to it.

The arrrtists are looking for additional limited edition portrait backgrounds for the game that are appropriately-themed for unscrupulous and stealthy activities relating to the Black Market. Be it the way the goods are smuggled in, the hidden coves to store the goods or the buildings themselves! This contest focuses on quality over quantity.

Winners!

The pesky rules
Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size. The preferred file format is .png
Entries must fit the appropriate scale:
1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170
Expansive backgrounds: 2000 x 1275

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. We don't want anyone laboring on some amazing art that has to be ignored because of this.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.
You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.

How to participate
Upload your images to the YPPedia, name the file according to the naming scheme listed there. If you have trouble uploading your image, please post in this thread and we will be happy to help. You may also post links to the thumbnails here in this thread for comment.

Instructions for destination filename
Requested format for the filenames on YPPedia: File:Art-piratename_title_the_way_you_want_to_appear_in_game.png
All in lower-case! So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Clotho's Black Market, I would use:
File:Art-clotho_black_market.png

Image tags in the summary field
The tag for this contest is "blackmarketcontest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload should be:
{{blackmarketcontest|Name|[[Art:Portrait Background Contest|Black Market Background Contest]]}}
where "name" will create an automatic link to your forum account.

e.g. {{blackmarketcontest|Clotho|[[Art:Portrait Background Contest|Black Market Background Contest]]}}

Suggestions
-- Make it look like it came right out of the game.
--Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure.
--Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art.
--Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use.
--Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.
--A very small signature in the lower right corner is acceptable.
--In general avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.
--Pay close attention to your composition - the composition of backgrounds related to pirate placement is a major consideration and sometimes otherwise good backgrounds are eliminated because the nicest elements are blocked by the pirates once they are in frame.

Judging
The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the arrrtists and the winning backgrounds will be available in game as Limited Edition backgrounds. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, or even adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries.

The quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Prizes Yes, there are prizes!
The winning entries will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it becomes available. In addition to that, each winning entry will receive:
* a Puzzle Pirates real-life item and a pack of playing cards in the mail
* a free copy of their portrait in-game
* a choice of clothing or choice of furniture item or a black/black Anubis Statue
* a choice of Clotho, Bluebeard, Fishheadred, Greenbones egg or doll
* Dread Masterpiece trophy (if the winner doesn't already have it)

The small print:
* Poe and/or doubloons for the free copy will be delivered to the winner at the time the portrait is available in game
*The clothing item can be any item in any colors that can be ordered from a tailoring shoppe without needing a design or reputation.
*The furniture item can be any item in any colors that can be ordered from a furniture shoppe without needing a design or reputation.
*An additional clothing or furniture item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the winner does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.
*The real-life prize may not be substituted for the Anubis Statue.

Deadline
August 25th 2013, 11:59pm game time

Other suggestions and links
Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!

Edit: Added Dread Masterpiece trophy
Edit 2: updated the image tags for this contest, it should be "blackmarketcontest"
Edit 3: typo

----------------------------------------

Hilando las hebras de la vida pirata...
[Edit 8 times, last edit by Clotho at Aug 28, 2013 7:38:49 PM]

[Aug 2, 2013 9:34:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Re: Black Market Background Contest - [Deadline: August 25th, 2013] Reply to this Post

OoooOOoooOo sounds sneakily suspicious and wonderfully enticing!!!! What a great background contest idea ^^
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Aug 2, 2013 2:45:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

Re: Black Market Background Contest - [Deadline: August 25th, 2013] Reply to this Post

There ought to be some sort of formal mention to this on the Mariner's Muse thread. I almost missed this one, sneakily hiding away on another forum.

I get that the prizes are bigger for this portrait background contest and it's more of a "global event" but there oughta be a thread with a link or something for us shut-in artists xD!
Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian
Clotho tells ye, "I love your musical art, thank you for sharing!"

Avvy by the awesome Velternal!
[Aug 3, 2013 10:51:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

I get that the prizes are bigger for this portrait background contest and it's more of a "global event" but there oughta be a thread with a link or something for us shut-in artists xD!

As a shut-in artist, I have secret tunnels connecting Mariners Muse to Events!...Just so, ya know, I don't actually need to go in sunlight.

That and all the good arrrtsy events are here.

What kind of shut-in artist doesn't have tunnels?
Cattrin of Midnight Cerulean (and sometimes Viridian Meridian)
Avatar by Apollo, Wiske, Shawe, Blakbead, Daeva, Bunnylaroo and Musicologist!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Aug 3, 2013 6:15:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

In case them tunnels are working as they should, I've added a note to the ongoing background contest thread. I hope none of our pirate artists miss this contest!

Edit:
Important information: I just received additional information on how this contest will be handled. For that reason, we will use a new image tag for the image. Please make sure to update your notes! The image tag should be:
{{blackmarketcontest|Name|[[Art:Portrait Background Contest|Black Market Background Contest]]}}
The"name" field will create a link to your forum account. You may use your pirate name or your username.

[Edit 3 times, last edit by Clotho at Aug 3, 2013 8:57:24 PM]

[Aug 3, 2013 8:42:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

* Dread Masterpiece trophy (if the winner doesn't already have it)

Spelling mistake D: Tisk Tisk Tisk Clotho
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[Aug 3, 2013 9:01:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Typo?! Me? I find that hard to believe!
corrected, thanks!

[Aug 4, 2013 8:04:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

O.O almost missed this. And ew that deadline :S /e finishes her graveyard bg at high speed
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Aug 6, 2013 1:13:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lwinter55

YUP another useless activity that has no real app in ypp Typical
[Aug 6, 2013 1:57:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Perhaps to you. Some people love it.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Aug 6, 2013 3:12:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Perhaps to you. Some people love it.

Agreed Inghild ^^ for some of us this is the heart and soul of the game :)

On a side note, I'm Sooo excited, I managed to do 2 sketches for this theme already! now i just need to get home from my vacation and digitalize them ^^ One more week...!!! I promise I will not procrastinate on this one :)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Booful at Aug 8, 2013 6:50:27 PM]
[Aug 8, 2013 6:49:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

I can't wait to see what our talended artists create for this one, ¡it's very exciting!

[Aug 8, 2013 8:21:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Still brainstorming, but here's some smuggler's tunnels.
Cattrin of Midnight Cerulean (and sometimes Viridian Meridian)
Avatar by Apollo, Wiske, Shawe, Blakbead, Daeva, Bunnylaroo and Musicologist!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Aug 9, 2013 11:03:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Here are some quick sketches I made. Don't know if you can tell what they are, I'm not a very neat sketch maker :S

First idea: smugglers cave

Second idea: smugglers alley

I doubt I will be able to do them both in such a short time. Now that I see them uploaded here, the alley might be more interesting.

Edit: working on the pp-smugglers alley. Not sure if I should keep the door open so you can see the loot or keep it closed. Any thoughts?
Edit 2: my first pp pony :)
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Edit 6 times, last edit by Yngve6 at Aug 12, 2013 2:49:26 PM]
[Aug 9, 2013 2:11:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Wow, looks like we all have similar ideas. Here's my Smuggler's Cave that I've been working on. Need to add some more black boxes and maybe some other things, finish shading, etc. Comments/feedback welcome.

...with pirates

Greylady, Meridian & Emerald

Cronus tells ye, "...it's Hera's doing. She spread those horrid lies of me eating poor innocent babies. *burp*"
Cronus tells ye, "When in doubt blame Hera"
[Aug 10, 2013 9:38:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Looks great so far grey lady. Making the back of the cave really dark and highlighting some of the black boxes might make it more mysterious.
That black unicorn looks great. Nice idea to have them smuggling rare animals.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Aug 10, 2013 3:51:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Can we use the smuggler ships as inspiration for this as well?
[Aug 10, 2013 7:25:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Can we use the smuggler ships as inspiration for this as well?

Anything relating to the Black Markets goes!

[Aug 10, 2013 8:38:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Oh excellent! only 2 more sleeps and I'll be able to draw my ideas on my computer :D (shipboard secrecy coming right up!!!)

Btw, LOVING all the ideas and sketches so far!!!
[Aug 11, 2013 9:15:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ninatheonly

A VERY rough sketch of what I'm going for. Any suggestions are welcomed. :D

Thanks!

P.S. Inghild- I really like both of your ideas!. I think the Smuggler's cave idea is worth a draft as well.

Greylady - I love the black unicorn in a box :D It has potential. I would love to see more shinies in the cave as well.
Chiichan on Emerald Ocean
[Aug 12, 2013 4:00:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Thanks Chiichan, I don't think I can manage to finish them both in such a short time though.

I really like your idea so far. Love that bow of the smugglers ship.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Aug 12, 2013 2:56:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

@Chiichan - I just love your sketch! Can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks for the feedback mates, and here is an update. I darkened everything up a bit, added a couple of piggy banks, BK compasses and Skellie/Vampire charms. I think I'm getting close, but would appreciate any other suggestions/feedback.

Greylady, Meridian & Emerald

Cronus tells ye, "...it's Hera's doing. She spread those horrid lies of me eating poor innocent babies. *burp*"
Cronus tells ye, "When in doubt blame Hera"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by CapnKkatz at Aug 12, 2013 9:34:55 PM]
[Aug 12, 2013 9:32:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vireyda

I really like it Greylady! Maybe the cave should get a bit darker the farther back it goes though, or add some lanterns/torches for light?
Vireyda
Midnight Cerulean
SO of Phire Phoenix

KP PIMPED my Avvie!
[Aug 13, 2013 6:18:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ninatheonly

Made some more progress with the portrait.

Without pirates:

With pirates:

Any suggestions before I start coloring? :D
Chiichan on Emerald Ocean
[Aug 13, 2013 6:59:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

I am home and so excited to start on my ideas!!!
Here are my (really rough) sketches i made on my sketch book while away that i'll be working on :)

The Smuggler Hold:

The Smuggler Ship deck:
(Will be cloudy, dark with a lantern glowing on the sideboard) And the Black market design on the sails) Complete with a (secret) trap door and if i can get the critter right I want to add a skeletal monkey as well :)

Btw, ABSOLUTELY still LOVE the ideas so far!!! What a captivating theme ^_^ Bringing out the secretive inner dark pirate in all of us!!!

@ Greylady - aside from the darkening of the cave (which was already mentioned) I would perhaps add even MORE clutter/boxes/treasure type things behind the black unicorn? I LOVE the compasses etc that scatter the floor so far!!! It's awesome ^_^

@ Clotho - I blame you for my new black box obsession and broke-ness (had to buy some for references of course...and...well i may just have to make a background of a broke pirate sitting and sulking on the floor with black box trinkets :P ) Oh, and the BEST black market on Cerulean is on TLM, which is appropriately named : "Kiss your poe goodbye!"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Booful at Aug 13, 2013 9:07:12 AM]
[Aug 13, 2013 9:04:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

@ Greylady - aside from the darkening of the cave (which was already mentioned) I would perhaps add even MORE clutter/boxes/treasure type things behind the black unicorn? I LOVE the compasses etc that scatter the floor so far!!! It's awesome ^_^

Aye, agreed -- looks great, but even MORE loot would be appropriate. (Greedy pirates are greedy!) >;-)

And, Booful? I especially like that ship's hold! Can not wait to see the final background. ;-D

Franklin
Franklin W. Cain (Pirate FranklinCain on Meridian and other Oceans)
[Aug 13, 2013 9:21:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

@Greylady: Here is what I would do. I would give the scene even more contrast, that adds a bit more drama.
Behind the black boxes I would make it pitch black and the front I would highlight because of the light comming in at the back.
Then I would make the middle of the tunnel darker, slowly making it lighter towards the front so that the unicorn stands out. You could even have an lantern or something on the floor in front of the unicorn and really highlight it's box and horn.
All the loot scattered on the floor looks great.

@Chiichan: That looks really good. I love all the details. Never knew pirates could pose like that on a double portrait.

@Booful: They look good. I especially like the smuggler hold. I'm sure when you are finished with them the ship deck will be stunning as well :)

Almost done now. A bit more shading and work on the tunnel wall. Perhaps add the dagger in the door and the lantern.

I think I'll just leave the background behind the tunnel black, as if there is a beach at night behind it.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Yngve6 at Aug 13, 2013 3:26:19 PM]
[Aug 13, 2013 3:12:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

@ Inghild - I love the alley!!!I know you said you are working on the tunnel wall, just wondering if you will be fading it from light to darker more , since right now the light grey at the back end of the tunnel kind of throws my eyes off a bit , esp if you plan to keep it dark in the background? Since there isn't a source of light in the area? Or perhaps there is a torch on the wagon creating the light? Not sure if I'm making sense...I apologize...my eyes are a bit pixelated from staring at my background >.<

Finally started working on one of my sketches! And since the hold seems to be the favorite of the two I decided to start with it (it happens to be the one i like more as well, so wasn't too hard to decide which to work on first) ...never realized sea turtles are so hard to find references for! (Thank you Vova for setting a couple free on Turtle island!!!)

I know its still in the sketching stage, and the layers overlap, but open to any feedback... think I may sprinkle some trinkets and amulets around as well...

[Aug 13, 2013 9:07:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

@Booful: I love the little piggybank and that turtle looks so cute.

You make complete sense ;) I used this reference picture for the tunnel, which has a lightsource at the back of the tunnel. But since the card fills most of the tunnel I decided to change the original background idea a bit. I'm not sure yet if I will add a lightsource from the back or in front of the tunnel. I would probably need some light at the back to make the loot on the card stand out.

My new tablet just arrived :D it works so much nicer than my old pre-bamboo tablet.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Yngve6 at Aug 14, 2013 4:18:31 AM]
[Aug 14, 2013 12:01:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

@Booful: I love the little piggybank and that turtle looks so cute.

You make complete sense ;) I used this reference picture for the tunnel, which has a lightsource at the back of the tunnel. But since the card fills most of the tunnel I decided to change the original background idea a bit. I'm not sure yet if I will add a lightsource from the back or in front of the tunnel. I would probably need some light at the back to make the loot on the card stand out.

My new tablet just arrived :D it works so much nicer than my old pre-bamboo tablet.

Thanks, and I'm glad you made sense of my words...I couldn't string a proper full sentence together last night! You can always add a lantern to the cart? That way the light would make sense?
Also, YAY new tablet!!! What did you get? I am loving mine more and more each time i make a background...especially just comparing how painful making a barrel was in my first background compared to the barrels in this one!
Anyways, got some coloring done (if you can call grey scale coloring ~.^)
Any feedback is as always welcome :) I am kinda stuck on what to do for the baseboards and hull wall...but loving how my turtle turned out...really wish i had one now! (btw if ANYONE has a black box turtle i can look at and see for reference it would be much appreciated!!! Would be even greater if you have a portrait with the cute little beasty!!!)
Still need to add each objects shadows as well...to tie it all together, but will do that last

[Aug 14, 2013 12:51:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 89   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates