• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 82
Posts: 82   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11424 times and has 81 replies Next Thread
Prometheus
OceanMaster

Photography contest - Win a Familiar! [Results Posted] Reply to this Post

With the tablet release playing away from home has never been more convenient. With that in mind it's time to head outdoors for a

Photography Contest!
Win a familiar of your choice

Introduction
This will be a contest for your own photographs. Please read this post carefully, as it contains a great deal of information!
The deadline for entries is 11:59pm game time on Sunday 25th August 2013.

Categories
There are two categories or set subjects for entries. Each will have its own entry thread (see the "Entry post requirements" section below for more details). You may enter only one photograph to each category, although you may enter both categories if you wish.

Category 1: Pirate's Day Off

The required photograph for this category differs slightly from Category 2:

Entries in this category should create a small drawing on a paper cutout of a whimsical pirate enjoying their day off from pillaging, set against a scenic backdrop. For an example of what I mean (and a potential source of inspiration) please view this gallery: http://chibi2012.500px.com - You will not be judged on the quality of your drawing!

Category 2: Bilging and Sailing
Entries in this category should demonstrate some facet of bilging or sailing. This can include almost any related imagery from flowing water to coils of ropes, pretty much from specific materials through to general themes.

Exclusions on content
  • Your photograph should not be a figure study or a portrait - that is, any human being (or animal) should only be incidental to the shot, rather than being the main subject. For example, if you photograph a sailor, the photograph should be about the work or the activity rather than being a portrait.
  • In addition, there should be no children visible in your photographs, except as unidentifiable figures in the background.
  • Normal rules for forum content apply, so images should not contain tasteless or offensive text or content.

Judging process and timeline
The judging will be carried out in two stages. In the first round of judging, all entries will be judged, and awarded a mark out of 20. At the end of this judging stage, I will post the names of those entries selected to move on to the second stage of judging. At the same time, I will also post the scores for all other entries.

The second round of judging will consider the posted top entries again. For this stage, entrants will be asked to email, or provide a link to, a larger version of their photograph. Entrants who make it through to the second round of judging will have ONE WEEK from my post to send these to me. Once the week has passed, or before that if all entrants have responded, the second phase of judging will start.

Please see the "Technical Details" section below for more detailed technical requirements.

Judging criteria
Judging criteria will include adherence to theme (does your image 'speak' the theme?), composition (does the composition strengthen the image and the message?) and technical quality (does the technical quality support or detract from the image? - exposure, focus, depth of field, digital artefacts etc).

Prize Choices
  • Oh Snap! (a familiar [Monkey, Parrot or Octopus] of your choice [excluding restricted colour choices])
  • Totally Retro (Furniture Prize Pack: Anubis statue, Horus jar, Anubis jar, Yellow urn with treasure x2, Blue urn with treasure x2)
  • Overexposed (Prometheus Egg Furniture x2)
  • Shutter Sloop (Gold/Orange/brown sloop, renamed "Sepia Shutterbug")
  • The Selife (complete outfit in black and gold - Captain's hat, Captain's jacket, pantaloons(M)/gown(F), fancy boots)
  • Instawhat? (Portrait with Prometheus with you and up to five guests. Original and one extra print will be provided to the winner)
  • Classic Black & White (Penguin Pet)
  • Rose Coloured roses (Rose trinket in rose)

• There is only one set of prizes, rather than one set per category.

Entry post requirements
(Please see the "Technical Details" section below for detailed technical requirements about your images.)
Your entry post should include the following.

• Your pirate name
  • Ocean
  • Your prize preference order, if different from that given in the prize list (please include whether you would need male or female outfit)
  • A title is not required, but if you wish to use one, should be a maximum of 25 characters.
  • A link to your entry photograph uploaded elsewhere (do not post as an image in the thread)
  • A link to your identification photograph (see "Technical Details") uploaded elsewhere (do not post as an image in the thread)
  • Please say "no feedback" if you wish to opt out of having your score posted after judging
  • Entry thread for Pirate's Day Off: Entry Thread You may only enter one photograph to this category
  • Entry thread for Bilging and Sailing: Entry Thread You may only enter one photograph to this category

All The More Detailed Rules!

Rules on Content and Copyright
-- No children in any photograph (unless unidentifiable in the background)
-- No animals or human figures as the main subject of the photograph - any figures should be incidental. For Pirate's Day Off this does not refer to your pirate cutout.
-- The photograph you submit must be your own work, and be free for you to use. You may not use any images from third parties, including but not limited to clip-art, commercial sources and public domain images.
-- Anyone found to have breached the rule above could face in-game disciplinary action as well as disqualification from this contest.

Manipulation of Digital Images
I would like the focus of this contest to be the photography, rather than the skill with (or availability of) photo manipulation software. Therefore, the only manipulations you may use in your images are resizing, cropping, selective lightening or darkening, and restoration of the original color in a scene. No elements of your image should be moved, cloned, deleted, added, rearranged or combined.

The Identification Photograph
In order to provide some verification that this photograph was taken specifically for this contest, and by yourself, I am asking you to provide an identification photograph as well as your entry photograph.
-- The identification photograph should include the same basic scene as your entry photograph from a very slightly different angle so that the scene is recognizable but not identical
-- The identification photograph should include a clear glass vessel (e.g. drinking glass, clear glass bottle, glass bowl) inside which is a card or paper with your pirate name and ocean legible
-- The identification photograph does not need to be cropped or resized to match your entry image
-- If necessary another person can hold the glass vessel with the name - it doesn't have to be freestanding.
-- To summarize, in the identification photograph, we should be able to see a glass object containing your pirate name and ocean written on paper or card, all in front of the same basic scene shown in your entry image.

Technical Details
Digital or film:
-- Your entry will need to be a digital image
-- Your original photograph can be captured digitally, or it can be captured on film and scanned to generate the digital image
-- A black and white digital image is acceptable if you captured the photograph in that format

Initial entries:

-- File format must be jpegs in sRGB color space
-- As a guide, we'd expect images to be below 200kB in file size
-- In most cases, there should be no border on your image. In cases where a border is needed, to define the edge of the image, you may use a border of 1 or 2 pixels width, in white, black or grey.
-- When you are happy with your photograph, you will need to upload the image to a filehosting site (see below for guidance) and get a url from that to use as the link in your entry post.

Finalists' entries (only required if you reach the second stage of judging):
-- In the second round of judging, I will ask you to send me a link to an image of higher resolution (or to send the file as an attachment if it cannot be uploaded). Do not send these now - I will provide a dedicated email address at the time of posting
-- File format must be jpegs in sRGB color space
-- Maximum jpeg quality, minimum jpeg quality 8
-- In most cases, there should be no border on your image. In cases where a border is needed, to define the edge of the image, you may use a border of 1 or 2 pixels width, in white, black or grey.
-- As a guide, we'd expect these images to be up to 1MB or thereabouts
-- The "identification photograph" will not be needed in this format

Rule clarifications:

-- Each entrant may only win one prize, so if both of their entries finish in the prize places, only the higher prize will be awarded.

If the technical details and rules look really scary... just give it a go, and we'll do what we can to judge your image!

Results :

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=2624457#2624457
----------------------------------------
[Edit 5 times, last edit by Prometheus at Oct 6, 2013 4:15:04 PM]
[Jul 26, 2013 9:57:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Re: Photography contest - Win a Familiar! Reply to this Post

Question about the first category. Do we draw our own pirate and cut it out? Or can we use a cutout from a pirate portrait?
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Jul 26, 2013 12:17:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Prometheus
OceanMaster

Question about the first category. Do we draw our own pirate and cut it out? Or can we use a cutout from a pirate portrait?

Original content only please; you will have to draw it yourself, aye.
[Jul 26, 2013 1:12:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

Original content only please; you will have to draw it yourself, aye.

Awesome :D this seems fun!

I guess for the second one ill have to go to puerto madero.... fun :D
Yumisa World Wide ;)
Your Favourite Cookie Monster <3op
Can't find me? Im on Deviant Art!
[Jul 26, 2013 1:14:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hammer1

WOOHHOOOOO !!!!!! Nice event .

lot's of rules for me to trip over ... *treads carefully *.

Some shots you can only take once and then the moment is gone .....

Would if be possible to prove you taken the shot in another way , then a different angle ? Maybe an aftermath shot,With ye pirate name and all that jazz ?
Blackhammer.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by hammer1 at Jul 26, 2013 2:16:25 PM]
[Jul 26, 2013 2:05:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EddyTheKid

Finally an art contest I won't be embarrassed participating in! :D
Thank ye Prometheus.
Toofpaste of Viridian
[Jul 26, 2013 3:29:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RonenOsden

Some of these rules seem confusing to me ... But I will be participating.
Cptnronen Born And Raised On The Cobalt Ocean
Avatar created by the amazing Cattrin.
[Jul 26, 2013 4:22:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

The identification photograph should include a clear glass vessel (e.g. drinking glass, clear glass bottle, glass bowl) inside which is a card or paper with your pirate name and ocean legible -- The identification photograph does not need to be cropped or resized to match your entry image.

This may be a silly question, but does it have to be glass or will clear plastic suffice? I'm wary of carrying around a glass vessel in my purse, being accident prone XD
Bunnylaroo of Sage Emerald

[Jul 26, 2013 4:36:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shinystarr

I have a question, does it have to be drawn on paper or could it be drawn on a drawing program like on a 3DS and printed out and cut out? Technically it would still be drawing and still be on paper, But is that a technicallity since it would be digitally drawn? I cant draw on paper for anything, it always looks awful is why I ask lol
[Jul 26, 2013 7:50:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ant_Eater

Can we use Instagram? haha
Anteater on Cerulean
[Jul 26, 2013 8:04:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nyoka76

The identification photograph should include a clear glass vessel (e.g. drinking glass, clear glass bottle, glass bowl) inside which is a card or paper with your pirate name and ocean legible -- The identification photograph does not need to be cropped or resized to match your entry image.

This may be a silly question, but does it have to be glass or will clear plastic suffice? I'm wary of carrying around a glass vessel in my purse, being accident prone XD

I don't think that matters.
If it does then that's bull-turkey and the OMs need to seriously re-evaluate what they're asking. XD
Don't you hate it when the game lags, and you misplace on a puzzle?

Nyoka on Cerulean
[Edit 2 times, last edit by nyoka76 at Jul 26, 2013 8:36:16 PM]
[Jul 26, 2013 8:34:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
khaloda2

I DON'T UNDERSTAND ANY THING XD XD
Lodaz meridian
I AM THE PRESIDENT
[Jul 27, 2013 12:03:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Neato! Guess I'll be able to freak out my fellow Google CSSI participants with my YPP habit after all!
Cattrin of Midnight Cerulean (and sometimes Viridian Meridian)
Avatar by Apollo, Wiske, Shawe, Blakbead, Daeva, Bunnylaroo and Musicologist!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Jul 27, 2013 7:22:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Runkeerin

Ohhh this sounds fun! I think I'll have a go, even though there aren't exactly any "scenic views" where I live, rofl

EDIT: I have a question - are there any limits as to what size the cutout of the pirate should be?
Keerin of Cerulean
Runkeerin Coriander of Emerald (semi-active)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Runkeerin at Jul 27, 2013 11:33:31 AM]
[Jul 27, 2013 11:25:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Palemaka

Yay my camera will get more use again >:D however, i apologize in advance for my horrible drawings. if i have time i may digitally draw it as well (if allowed)
Palemaka on Emerald~
&& is too lazy to make her own decent avy <3
[Jul 27, 2013 4:44:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Prometheus
OceanMaster

Not a silly question at all!

Glass has particular optical properties that plastic doesn't have, so glass would be preferable. Thick tumblers and sturdy bottles may be less fragile than things like wineglasses. You can also carry it on its own in a separate tote bag and use tea towels (or something similar) as padding to help prevent breakage. If it's plastic, I'll just have to make a judgement call about whether it's ok or not when we come to judging.

I have a question, does it have to be drawn on paper or could it be drawn on a drawing program like on a 3DS and printed out and cut out? Technically it would still be drawing and still be on paper, But is that a technicallity since it would be digitally drawn? I cant draw on paper for anything, it always looks awful is why I ask lol

If it's your original art it can be done digitally, aye. The pirate does not have to be terribly elaborate as long as it is suitably emotive. Follow the example link for an idea of what would be expected.
[Jul 29, 2013 11:33:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
Deadclown1

^ :(

just took a quick flick through my portfolio, my smallest size picture is 3mb :( Damn HD DSLR's :(

Was looking forward too this, had some great ideas >.<
[Jul 29, 2013 3:58:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arghhpirate

Easy, resize it...
[Jul 29, 2013 4:25:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Deadclown1

Easy, resize it...

but i'll lose mah pixels :(
[Jul 30, 2013 11:04:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Prometheus
OceanMaster

just took a quick flick through my portfolio, my smallest size picture is 3mb :( Damn HD DSLR's :(

The bit you quoted is a guideline, it's intended to give entrants a baseline to work with - it is not a firm rule. File sizes may be larger.

- Pro
[Jul 30, 2013 11:11:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
RonenOsden

Category 2: Bilging and Sailing
Entries in this category should demonstrate some facet of bilging or sailing. This can include almost any related imagery from flowing water to coils of ropes, pretty much from specific materials through to general themes.

So, this picture does not require the pirate cut out to be in it? It just needs to be of something pertaining to water/rope/wind/crabs? And I assume this will also require another identification photo?

And if you enter both categories, can you win two prizes?
[Aug 1, 2013 11:32:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

From the OP:

There is only one set of prizes, rather than one set per category.

~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[Aug 1, 2013 2:06:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RonenOsden

From the OP:

There is only one set of prizes, rather than one set per category.

That does not answer my question.

My question was : Could someone win; ie: the familiar and the furniture set, because their CAT1 photo came first and their CAT2 photo came second?

Or is the contest being judged where if you enter both categories, your entries are judged as one?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by RonenOsden at Aug 1, 2013 2:17:06 PM]
[Aug 1, 2013 2:15:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fraudrey

Can my entry be a compilation of a couple of images (like photo story) or should it be just one image?
[Aug 2, 2013 4:11:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Awejack

If I understand correctly I can simply take a photograph of a sailor on my vacation in two days to have a chance to win a familiar?

Me and my girlfriend are thinking about a trip around Zakynthos (Greece) aboard a pirate ship. There has to be a pirate who's doing the sailssss...
Mctrollin of Emerald ocean
[Aug 2, 2013 4:39:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Prometheus
OceanMaster

If I understand correctly I can simply take a photograph of a sailor on my vacation in two days to have a chance to win a familiar?

Your photograph should not be a figure study or a portrait - that is, any human being (or animal) should only be incidental to the shot, rather than being the main subject. For example, if you photograph a sailor, the photograph should be about the work or the activity rather than being a portrait.

To clarify: It should be a picture of sailing, not a picture of a sailor. (Enjoy your vacation!)

Can my entry be a compilation of a couple of images (like photo story) or should it be just one image?

You may enter only one photograph to each category, although you may enter both categories if you wish.

So, this picture does not require the pirate cut out to be in it? It just needs to be of something pertaining to water/rope/wind/crabs? And I assume this will also require another identification photo?

Category 1 and Category 2 are entirely separate, the pirate cutout is only for Category 1 and should not appear in Category 2 entries.

Each category would require an identification photo, yes.

Each entrant may only win one prize, so if both of their entries finish in the prize places, only the higher prize will be awarded.
[Aug 3, 2013 6:23:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
Gailchips

NVM, found the answer to my question.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Gailchips at Aug 16, 2013 9:36:43 AM]
[Aug 8, 2013 9:12:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilymoon

Do these photographs have to represent a "YPP style" (in the drawing of part 1 and in the object for part 2)? Or does a non-YPP style drawing count for part 1 and will including objects that are obviously modern, not of the YPP time-period, etc. count for part 2.

Thanks!

Side-note: Boo about not being able to use pictures that I took on my vacation when I was near the coast! I have lovely ships and everything! :P Being land-locked I'm going to have to get a bit more creative where I go to find objects for part 2.
Faeree of Emerald~ Illustrious Wanderer on all oceans ~
Apollo wrote: 
(Is it wrong that I'm now just a tiny bit in love with Faeree's brother?)

[Aug 9, 2013 8:35:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Faeree [Link]  Go to top 
cannyman2

I managed to get my photograph but as I was on the fly I wasn't carrying a 'glass vessel' with me, the best I could do was a piece of cardboard with ID covered over by an old plastic bag. :| Is this alright? The text is distorted enough so should have the same effect as glass.

Also the lens I had on me at the time had a very low depth of field, you can make out the original scene with ID but it's blurry, does that potentially disqualify me?
Shaka on Meridian
Roro on Emerald
[Aug 13, 2013 9:57:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Skarr1

two questions,

1: so the picture we draw is not judged at all?
so if i just wanted to draw a stick-pirate doing something
that you would do on a day off, that would be fine
because we arent juged on that drawing we are judged on
the backgroung and more of what the pirate is doing?

2: I ship out for USAF Basic Training Sep third, if i placed, would my prize be held untill november, or would i be disqualified?
-Scrach of Midnight

[Aug 15, 2013 1:51:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 82   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates