• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 47
Posts: 47   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 23986 times and has 46 replies Next Thread
marauder

Navigation Puzzle Tips Reply to this Post

I've only had a few tries at navigating, and I never did very well at it. Could some of the more experience players share some tips?
[Aug 24, 2003 12:45:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hangmann

Re: Navigation Puzzle Tips Reply to this Post

I'm not that good, but here's what I know. Drop a lot of stars, early. The key to a sucessful score is the constilations, not the groups of 3. Try to limit the number of moves you do, as overall performance is score/moves. Thats about it.
----------------------------------------
~Thorek
Senior Officer of the Serial Pillagers (Cobalt)
[Aug 24, 2003 1:02:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Turk

I've found that it's much more important to match the stars to the constellation thingies than to clear the board by getting 3's in a row. Having one of each type in the centermost circle is good, and remember if you have two stars next to each other in the 2nd circle, you can rotate them around to reach those tricky constellations in the 3rd.
[Aug 24, 2003 1:03:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bocheezu

The only thing that matters for this puzzle are the constellations. Groups of three are next to worthless.

The biggest key for the early constellations is to just make sure you have every type of star in the innermost ring. If an inner star is the only star in a constellation, try to line up the same type of star above in the second ring before you trigger the constellation, so that you can replace the disappearing star with another one of the same type. Otherwise, you could lose diversity in the innermost ring.

The tougher part of this puzzle comes when there are two constellation stars on the same ring (they start out with two on the inner ring, later there will be two on the second ring, and eventually three on the inner ring). Unless you are lucky (and a lot of this puzzle is pure luck), the stars won't be arranged properly to trigger that constellation and you need to replace one star with another. To do this, put one of the stars in its constellation circle and look at what type of star is in the other constellation circle along with what type SHOULD be there. For instance, say you need a red star but there's a yellow one there instead. To set things up properly, put a yellow star next to a red one on the second ring. Then get a yellow star in the outer ring, line things up so you can blow out the yellow stars with a 3-in-a-row, switch to the second ring, and plop the red star in the open spot on the inner ring.

As you can see, if you have the second ring completely filled already and there is no yellow star next to a red one, you either have to put a red star next to a yellow on the outer ring (which is like playing with fire, cause you might never get the right stars) or just blow out the puzzle completely and start from scratch.

Keeping the second ring half open is important later on when you get two constellation stars on the second ring, because the stakes get higher in that case. If it's filled, this is similar to two constellation stars in the inner ring except everything is bumped up a ring. In this case, the two stars (the one that's in the spot and the one that SHOULD be in the spot) have to be TWO spots away from each other on the OUTER ring. This is because when you blow out the unwanted star with a three-in-a-row, you need a star to fill the inner ring before you put the star you want on top of it in the second ring to complete the constellation.

By far the most annoying thing with this game is when you line up things properly and have everything set, and some unwanted 3-in-a-row occurs that completely screws everything up. This can be partially avoided by just paying attention and not swinging stars around haphazardly. Move some rings one way or another to avoid getting a 3-in-row that could remove stars that you want to have.
[Aug 24, 2003 8:36:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cedric

One thing I've noticed is you can get some "combos" (they aren't true combos, and aren't rated double, triple, bingo, etc..) just by pure chance of the next constellation popping into the right place, or by having a star drop into the empty spot and create a 3-in-a-row. When I get some of those, my rating seems to shoot up immediately whereas even doing the really hard upper constellation raises it much slower.

Do you think that those "combos" are multiplying, or is it that 2 or 3 breaks came so close togeteher drove the score up? Or perhaps it was because NO moves were required to fire the next constellation, a function of efficiency?
Captain of the Yellow Jackets (Midnight)
Not to be taken internally (or seriously)
May cause rash
[Aug 25, 2003 1:28:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Maverick1701 [Link]  Go to top 
Aur

I try to leave colors group up in pairs so that there is a greater chance of getting those combos when pieces drop in. I also try to keep a good number of pieces on the board at a time and never do simple clearings of 3 unless I am in danger of booching.

This usually results in a few random combos every once in a while. I haven't quite figure out how to set up combos on purpose so I have to resort to the accidental ones.

One thing I've noticed about Navigating is that it's hard to get quick excellents. You have to wait a league or two for your efforts to pay off. I usually end up with excellents always but the first league or two I'm in the fine or good range.
~Aur
Original Riot Starter

"So now you know, and knowing is half the battle. The other half is HWFO." -Hermes
[Aug 25, 2003 1:31:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hangmann

Thats a function of effiency Cederic. It is in fact possible to get a combo to show up as Double! and quite possibly Triple! I'd imagine Bingo and Vegas are WAY out of reach with the number of pieces allowed. To get a double you destroy 3 on the same ring which causes 2 of the same color to fall next to one other of the same color, destroying those as well. It's still hardly worth it, and constilatoins are the key. It doesn't record as a double if the destruction of a constilaton results in stars falling into a set of 3, so... doubles are rare and usually accidental.
~Thorek
Senior Officer of the Serial Pillagers (Cobalt)
[Aug 25, 2003 1:51:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
confucious

How about getting clearing 4 or 5 in a rows? Those produce "Clear Skies" or "Smooth sailings" messages which I'd think would indicate above average scoring. I go for constellations but I try to setup my inner ring for the possibility of a 4 in a row. Don't really know if this is a better strategy or not though.
[Aug 25, 2003 2:08:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kvack

My strategy usually involves going for straight speed, and simply go for constelations. I never setup 3+ in a row to break unless I need to clear. I also don't care about the amount of moves it takes to make a constelation (frankly, I never thought the amount of moves you took played any part in scoring until it was mentioned earlier in this thread).

I usually like keeping the board half full. This involves a completely filled bottom ring, with hopefully one of each colour. The second ring I keep around half full, to completely full. I always drop stars down in lines along the rings (as in, don't keep any spaces between stars on the same ring). I find this helps for moving things around, especially trying to get stars into position on the top ring. Other than that, it's all about making as many constelations as quickly as possible. Using this, I've been able to get Excellent in just one league (and can usually stay at or above excellent for a trip).
[Aug 25, 2003 3:54:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.kvack.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Specter

How about getting clearing 4 or 5 in a rows? Those produce "Clear Skies" or "Smooth sailings" messages

Another scoring message like "Clear Skies" that I just got today for the first time was something like "Cuts the Seas Like Butter!"...not sure what triggered that, though. I was somewhere up around 4 ring constellations...
- Spec -
Officer of the crew Captain Insane's Asylum
[Aug 25, 2003 5:15:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Garthor

Cuts the Sea Like Butter! is what you get when you are moving between archipelagoes and don't get attacked. It's essentially just a really "hard" constellation, though I don't know how they rank the hardness exactly. However, if you have trouble understanding doubles and triples, here's a visual of how a donkey (which is the maximum, as far as I can tell) would work:

A)
Y
YXXOXX
YXOOXOO

B)
Y |
YXXOXX|
YXOOXOOO

C)
Y
YXXO
YXOOXXX

D)
Y
YXX
YXOOO

E)

YY
YXXX

F)

YYY

Of course, if you manage to do that, definately take a screenshot of it.
Cleaver wrote: 
I've never been logged on, let alone on a ship.

[Aug 25, 2003 8:32:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LetterAfterZ

i can't believe u took the time to draw that up, hehe
--------
Laz in-game
[Aug 25, 2003 1:38:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CrashCat

Is there any bonus for making a 3-in-a-row matchup that drops a star into the right place to solve a constellation? I just ask since the nav-game seems to have some resemblance to the sailing game, which is all about making combos involving targets...
a pirate is drinking lots and lots of rum
a pirate is just an oversized kid with an eye patch
a pirate is like being a fireman and a pyromaniac
a pirate is fun
a pirate is surely for me
-Googlism
[Oct 8, 2003 12:55:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
peekoo

Practise Reply to this Post

Yarr! Where can I practise navigating? I've been doing alot of sailing with npp navy vessels to get practised up in sailing, gunnery, bilging, etc. when I have 5 or 10 minutes to spare, but they won't let me navigate. Is there a place to practise the navigating puzzle (which I've never seen), without inconveniencing a whole crew?
[Oct 10, 2003 9:54:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jahred

Bocheezu, excellent job with that tutorial there, those are most of the things i do that i am too lazy to type up, but yeah, as has been said before, fill the constellations, and as fast as you can, the only efficiency factor it the number of pieces you drop, you can spin the rings all you want, and dont waste time on lines of 3 or 4 or doubles or whatever, that will just screw you, also, as is pretty obvious, the more stars there are in a constellation, the more rating points you get for clearing them, so someone quickly clearing constellations of 5 stars is going to be getting a much better rating that someone clearing constellations with 1 or 2

and Peekoo, unfortunately, there is no way to practice nav without inconveniencing some crew... i personally dont like that fact, but what can you do, eh?
Russel - official YPP anti-Greeter
People hate me, but not really.
[Oct 10, 2003 10:50:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pikax

I'm a Grand Master at Navigating and I can usually get an excellent in one league and incredible if I'm going really well.

Tips:

a) Read the help. When I first started I only could spin the inner circle (wasn't doing to good then) a good read of the instructions is good to get started.

b) If your having trouble getting a constelation clear the board with 3's, 4's and 5's (get your rating up a bit)

c)For experience I just asked officers if I could nav. I never annoyed anyone and I'm wondering why it bothers people. I'm an officer now and I use naving to get the speed up but I don't mind when a jobber asks to navigate.

d)Always watch where your pieces are. I had one scenario where I had a constelation of 4 two on inner 1 middle 1 outer and was just spinning round the outer piece into position and accidently triggered a 3 in a row, this cleared the board basically. It then took me quite a while getting it built up again.

e) When your starting zoom in the pieces while trying to set up the constelation.

Personally I like the board empty whenever I'm starting a new consteltion this is good for when u get like a 4 in the inner ring which if u have a full inner ring takes a long long time to get (have to clear pieces and put the right ones in)

I would also like to know how many constelations can go to like how many pieces u need to fit in (pb is 4).
Final word Nothing and I mean nothing that people post on this is better than the real thing. If you want to get good PRACTICE!!!

Hope this helps.
Pikaxs - Fleet Officer in Piece o' Rum,
Member of Lunar Bin
[Oct 23, 2003 6:21:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nicuss

Ok, one thing that has a huge impact on performace and is not clearly mentioned anywhere is that you have to minimize the number of stars you drop by all means. Every single star you drop hurts your performance meter to the point that clearing 3-in-a-row is actually detrimental to your score. Filling your inner circle early is bad, you should only drop the minimum stars needed to move around stars on the second/third circles for combos. After you clear a combo and have spots open on the inner circle dont touch anything until you take a good look at what stars you need down there (and in what order), and then decide what stars from the upper levels you want to drop down and where. Once you get this right it'll be smooth sailing, me even made top 10 recently.

Oh, and I believe Hangman's statement that performance is score/moves is incorect, it should be score/drops. From my experience moves don't hurt at all, and I move stuff like mad.
[Oct 23, 2003 7:48:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

nicuss wrote: 

Oh, and I believe Hangman's statement that performance is score/moves is incorect, it should be score/drops. From my experience moves don't hurt at all, and I move stuff like mad.

I agree. I be spinnin stars like a crazed dolphin, an my stars still be spinnin' an' flashin'. But if I havta drop 4 or 5 (or 15) stars ta make that one last star in a constellation, ye watch the spinnin slow down. Never drop a star more than ye need, an ye'll be scorin' much higher. Remember - it only takes two stars on a ring ta 'walk' one star around tha next ring, an if ye make a constellation wit' it, it be more than worthwhile.

Also, in general, tha bigger constellations be higher scorin'. Tha' best way ta' be gettin bigger constellation is ta' do tha smaller ones. If ye booch it, ye will go back down a couple difficulty levels. Ye may still get excellent/incredible the league that ye booched on, but it will take ye a few leagues ta get back to yer old difficulty.
Bubbablue,
SO of Bubba Gump Shrimpin' Co.
Vote Bubba for President in '08, cause Shrimpin' is Great!
Cleaver wrote: 
Anything else? Please don't say, 'Make everything FREEEEEE!!1!!'

[Oct 30, 2003 12:16:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bokodasu

You know how almost everyone goes "I didn't know you could flip the pieces in carp!" and everyone else points and laughs?

I didn't realize the color of the target-ring was the color of the star you needed. I was trying to go by the little picture, which is hard to see when there are already stars on the board. So there's my tip. They put those pretty colored rings there for a reason. (Once I figured this out, I went from Able to... Distinguished! Yarr!)
[size=9]Tomyris, Cult of the Red Mantis, Looterati
Bonnie, Octafish Dream, Viridian
[Apr 25, 2004 11:27:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LaughingCow

And for the curious, the message for a five-in-a-row clear is "Leaping Porpoises!" I don't know why I found that so incredibly funny, though.
Jhovall
Carpenter Extraordinaire, Blacksmith Extraordinairer
Midnight Ocean
[Apr 27, 2004 1:20:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.yellow5.com/pokey [Link]  Go to top 
mitos

As far as I remember, when you do bingo while naving it says: Triple.
Strange...
Mitos,
Captain of Brotherhood of Steel, retired [Midnight]
Captain of Brotherhood of Steel [Viridian]
King of Euphoria [Viridian]
[Apr 28, 2004 2:49:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Darth_Mawl

Wow. Thanks for sharing all the great tips guys, I was completely lost until I read this.
~ Gerheiej ~
Wanderer of the High Seas.
[Apr 28, 2004 3:51:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    agentfishburn [Link]  Go to top 
d_terror

LaughingCow wrote: 
And for the curious, the message for a five-in-a-row clear is "Leaping Porpoises!" I don't know why I found that so incredibly funny, though.

Actually, the quote is "Leaving Porpoises!" I believe. Supposed to imply you're practically hydroplaning across the water
[Jul 28, 2004 4:18:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

d_terror wrote: 
LaughingCow wrote: 

Actually, the quote is "Leaving Porpoises!" I believe. Supposed to imply you're practically hydroplaning across the water

I'm pretty sure it's "leaping." This is one of the funny AND irritating things about the nav puzzles, particularly when ye're not very good at it. The messages go by so fast that it's hard to read them, especially when ye see them infrequently. I was puzzled for days by what the "butter" message could be...*smile*.
[Jul 28, 2004 6:08:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

muffy wrote: 
I was puzzled for days by what the "butter" message could be...*smile*.

I still don't think that butter would cut through the seas all that well. :/

atteSmythe,
so confused!

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Jul 28, 2004 6:18:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

No, no, it's "Cuts the seas like butter!". Though, using a sloop as a butter knife seems inefficient to me.
Denying the inevitable for as long as possible is a waste of life's work.
[Jul 28, 2004 7:13:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

It means hut butter. Which is very, very easy to cut through. ;)
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Jul 28, 2004 12:47:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Demonyaj wrote: 
No, no, it's "Cuts the seas like butter!".

I know, but how well do you think that butter cuts the seas? Not very well, says me!

atteSmythe,
trying even harder to not be funny!

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Jul 28, 2004 1:54:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Skal

"Ye heavens aligned!"

And the best one ever: "Har!" (or is it "Yar!"?)

And for the rest of this long dead thread... combos do nothing to your score unless then end in a constellation.

(And atte, have you ever tried to cut the seas with butter?)
Sadiekate
I know Tofu.
[Jul 28, 2004 2:15:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://sadiekate.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Yes, and no. You get a big burst of score for breaking all those threes without dropping a single piece.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Aug 30, 2004 7:58:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 47   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates