• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 77
Posts: 77   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7438 times and has 76 replies Next Thread
Mnemosyne
OceanMaster

"Weekend Event" Discussion Reply to this Post

For any discussion of our recent weekend events .

Edit: was specific to the first event, now changed to a general feedback thread for ongoing weekend events. Feel free to offer up yer thoughts and feedback.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Mnemosyne at Aug 8, 2013 5:58:16 PM]
[Jul 19, 2013 12:00:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Re: "Brigand Frenzy Event" Discussion Reply to this Post

For the discussion of this weekend's Brigand Frenzy Event , running from 7/19 to 7/22. Feel free to offer up yer thoughts and feedback!

I'm not sure I understand why this is in game design.... I guess OOO is looking for ideas of what will happen if they increase payments from pillaging more often?

If the goal is to make pillaging more desirable compared with SMH, then the game would be much better off by lowering the payouts from SMHs.

In general, I think increased payouts are bad. To understand them, let's look at an extreme: what if every battle paid out 1M PoE to each jobber? Well, now all the jobbers have lots off PoE and they can quickly buy lots of stuff and after they have done that, there isn't much to look forward too. Yes, it is frustrating to have to save up to buy stuff now, but the quicker you earn PoE, the less you have to look forward to.

Now, the commodities dynamic spawn system means that their price won't change much. If people took those millions of PoE and bought stuff using 1000 times as much iron and wood, the dynamic spawn would adjust to keep commodity prices about where they are now. good! Likewise, the stuff in the palace shop wouldn't change their prices.

But, not everything will stay the same. Players will have more PoE which they will want to spend, but they need dubs to spend a lot of it. So, not only will the demand for dubs go up, but since players have more PoE to trade with, the exchange rate for dubs would go up much faster than the PoE payouts. If payouts were 1M/battle, a dub would probably go up to 2m to 10M per dub.

Similarly, jobber pay in blockades would need to go up to attract jobbers away from pillaging. Foraging wouldn't be worth people's time. Taking a job at store would have to pay more too, which means while the price of the commodities wouldn't change, the price of products would. Items stores can't just make, like familiars, owning an Inn, etc., would also go up a huge amount.

Basically, higher payouts really don't help, they would distort the game some, but you end up where you currently are. People would complain that 1M per battle just isn't enough.

Raising payouts for pillages isn't a good idea.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Jul 19, 2013 1:48:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JamesStGeorg

I presume it is a start to the mentioned somewhere else attempts to reduce loading times. Biasing rewards to various parts of the game at different times. So next weekend or part of the week it may be SMH's turn. If so it may be more effective and neutral in poe overall if such periods also lowered poe in the other non selected for favour parts of the game.
Jstgeorge of Emerald.
[Jul 19, 2013 2:53:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

For the discussion of this weekend's Brigand Frenzy Event , running from 7/19 to 7/22. Feel free to offer up yer thoughts and feedback!

I'm not sure I understand why this is in game design.... I guess OOO is looking for ideas of what will happen if they increase payments from pillaging more often?

If the goal is to make pillaging more desirable compared with SMH, then the game would be much better off by lowering the payouts from SMHs.

Very much so.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Jul 19, 2013 3:02:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mnemosyne
OceanMaster

We wanted a dedicated thread for feedback on the event and a place for open discussion on weekend events in general--cheers and jeer alike, we would appreciate hearing what sorts of short-lived changes players are interested in seeing. The overall goal here is to focus attention on specific aspects of the game for small periods of time, and to give players a bit of added variety and flavor outside of the larger events we put together for Halloween or winter.

Inflation is something we're watching out for, but in this case we think most players can enjoy a short increase in payouts without a dramatic effect on the economy. There are plans for non-pillaging-focused events in the near future, we'll happily take feedback into account when it comes to finalizing those.
[Jul 19, 2013 3:31:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

Feedback requested?...Here ya go! ;-)

Weekend events, in general -- great stuff, plz give more!!

Other specific types of events I'd like to see...
  • Pillages hosted/run by Ocean Master
  • Expeditions hosted/run by Ocean Master
  • SMHs hosted/run by Ocean Master
  • Several of the above, all at the same time!! <--(Ok, now this is crazy talk)
Thanks!
Franklin
Franklin W. Cain (Pirate FranklinCain on Meridian and other Oceans)
[Jul 19, 2013 3:40:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kuroge

Despite drawbacks, I really like the idea of temporarily increasing gains from pillys. In the future, I'd like to see more varied events though.
[Jul 19, 2013 3:55:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

I think this is a great idea!!! Kudos to you guys for bringing variety and added adventures into the game!!! As an old salt it is nice to see these things come into the game, and as a player of other long standing MMORPG's weekend incentives bringing different focus to different aspects to the game is exciting and fun! I also think its a great incentive for not-too-active-players (like myself) to come out and play, because we get more bang for our time. I would like it if we had slightly more notice about the events though, perhaps a week ahead of time stating the event and such so that we can see about how we can maneuver our rl's to come and play! I also think this is a nice way to "plan" our play...so many times i log on at a loss as to how I will spend the next few hours of my life, and end up doing nothing productive, this is a great way to add some focus and i am thankful!! (I am sure i cannot be the only one who does this? Or maybe I am...) Thanks for this weekend ^_^
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Jul 19, 2013 5:52:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kristians4

There is No Event Running...I am pretty sure you guys forgot to turn it on...

I just ran an Elite Pillage fighting Hard-Very Hard Brigands and Barbarians. I Ran it since the event came out and Just finished it literally 2 minutes ago.

Our Average PoE/Battle was 300-500... We encountered 2 BK's In I believe 24 battles? Few of those battles were in Inter-Arch also....

Sorry, but it seems like there is no event activated...PoE/Battle is the same...if not worse than before the event was announced...

Can You Please look into this and tell me if it is/is not activated?

Thank You!
Zahar
Captain Of Poseidons Fury
Monarch Of Shadow Knight's
[Jul 19, 2013 9:26:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hammer1

Sweet , nice one ^_^
Blackhammer.
[Jul 20, 2013 1:08:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zwartetulp

Thanks!
Franklin

To be fair, I'd like to see no Voyages run by OM. it attracks all the people from other pillage's/SMH's. Specialy the OM voyage's with multiple GF's.

Personally, more flot spawn's, specialy sinker's but also non sinker's. Since 2/3 a week is so few. Besides, we got 2 ocean's in one, 5 to 6 flot's be nice.
Captain of Dark Revenge.
Prince of Sea Wrath.

And Sublime gunner ;)
[Jul 20, 2013 3:56:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JamesStGeorg

That was my impression from being on one pillage, no discernible difference, we did get more BKs but at the expense probably of better expos like forage, so lost out by more BK expos in effect. Poe did not seem noticeably better. While it may have been by a small % this concept will not function unless it is noticeable by players.
Jstgeorge of Emerald.
[Jul 20, 2013 7:35:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squishat

Thanks!
Franklin

To be fair, I'd like to see no Voyages run by OM. it attracks all the people from other pillage's/SMH's. Specialy the OM voyage's with multiple GF's.

I fully agree with this that there should not be OM-run jobber-consuming activities.

To take Clotho's trips earlier this year as an example, even though they were conducted with the intent to let more people enjoy areas of the game which they would otherwise not get to enjoy, it took away from the jobbing pool of regular trips in a very negative way.

The level of recognition that only comes to regular players as a reflection of their skill through dedication of time and effort invested in their chosen arena(s) is no longer proportional nor relevant.

Not to mention that because so many things can simply be "magicked up/away" when things get tough, the risk/reward factor that is the main allure of SMHs is lost.

Just my two cents with 20/20 hindsight.

On the other hand, these mini-events do seem to be quite interesting to see. Although may I suggest that they do not have details given away too much ahead of time so as to prevent "over-farming"?
Hellogoodbye says, "Squishat - Pro rock sinker."
on Emerald

===
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Squishat at Jul 20, 2013 8:06:18 AM]
[Jul 20, 2013 7:54:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bubbajr1104

That was my impression from being on one pillage, no discernible difference, we did get more BKs but at the expense probably of better expos like forage, so lost out by more BK expos in effect. Poe did not seem noticeably better. While it may have been by a small % this concept will not function unless it is noticeable by players.

So my two cents....

Why is it that if you want to increase pillaging for a weekend only make it so that BK's show up more? Why not have a greater percentage on all of the expo's? If you made it to where it was maybe every third battle produced one of the expo's it would make it a funner experience for the weekend since I would think that regular jobbers would like to do more TH's and Forages.

Unless this is considered a different part of the game that you want to increase later on (but that would mean pillaging would get two separate events?). Also maybe I am also the only one that thinks a few more TH's and Forages during a pilly would be a much funner thing for a weekend.....
[Jul 20, 2013 11:15:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ninty64

I agree with you on detracting from the jobber pool - it's one of the reasons I don't like blockades. But I don't see it being a big deal for events that happen this rarely, especially since I am biased and think they would be fun!

On topic, I'm enjoying this event a lot! Normally I don't like events that "make things easier" as it detracts from previous gameplay, but the core of this game is the puzzles, so I don't see making PoE easier as a big deal. Also, monkey boats are definitely more common (around 2x so it seems), which livens up that niche.

Thanks for all the events recently OOO! It's keeping the game more lively.
Ninty-East - Meridian
Ninty - Cerulean (retired)
[Jul 20, 2013 11:36:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gagund

I like the increase of less traditional things like monkeys.

I would really appreciate if merchant expos were jacked up 100 fold! Yay for trophy whoring!
-Gagundss
[Jul 20, 2013 12:18:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

I like the increase of less traditional things like monkeys.

I would really appreciate if merchant expos were jacked up 100 fold! Yay for trophy whoring!

That.

But on a time when I can play (aka, weekdays, during lunchtime, near noon game time)
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Jul 25, 2013 9:31:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
hammer1

I liked the event ,and glad more are planned in the future .
Blackhammer.
[Jul 30, 2013 2:17:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

This is off-topic, I'm aware.

I'd just like to hear if someone actually somehow has won other trinkets than the usual ones from vikings and IOs during the current weekend event. The wording on the news makes me think there's some other ones to be found but so far it's been the usual (for me) - and most of the IO and viking ones (on Emerald that is) are not rare at all.

Yes, this is off-topic. I know.
Sizzly of Emerald.

Buying Lexicon's and Ringer eggs.
[Aug 3, 2013 4:03:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

This is off-topic, I'm aware.

I'd just like to hear if someone actually somehow has won other trinkets than the usual ones from vikings and IOs during the current weekend event. The wording on the news makes me think there's some other ones to be found but so far it's been the usual (for me) - and most of the IO and viking ones (on Emerald that is) are not rare at all.

Yes, this is off-topic. I know.

No, it's not off-topic. OOO is looking for ideas to help decrease time spent in port. New trinkets would be one way to do that-- though I think such efforts would work mostly in the short-term only, the same way that adding extra trinkets and gators gave CI a short spike in popularity which went back to prior levels quickly.

I think that ultimately, they're going to need to address the long-term issues in order for a long-term solution. Bumping payouts and adding extra shineys will only help so much. For instance, when I looked at the NB today I saw three ships out of about ten advertising that they needed gunners. This is still something that needs to be addressed-- those ships were not sailing because nobody could fill that one station. No amount of double-payout or new trinkets or pets or whatever is going to change the fact that those captains needed someone adequately capable of gunning, and they don't want to sail until they have a respectable chance of winning-- which is impossible without competent guns.
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by xelto at Aug 3, 2013 5:04:41 PM]
[Aug 3, 2013 5:03:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

I agree, short-term fix is short-term satisfaction. It's better than nothing of course, so I'm not complaining but in the long run...

(Although I posted here because I wanted to know what Three Rings means by the words 'rare trinkets' in their news blog. I haven't seen any indication that there would be any other trinkets than the usual ones to be won from these expos, while the actual wording made me think there'd be something else but only for this weekend. In other words, nothing exceptional but the payout.)
Sizzly of Emerald.

[Aug 3, 2013 5:27:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gagund

I could see how one could be misleaded by the "rare trinkets" things, but usually when OOO does this promotional stuff they are very clear what the bonuses are.

It seemed that statement and the one above it("Explorers' Halls across the seas have their cartographers and scouts working day and night to produce additional Viking raid and Imperial outpost maps for sale") are just fluff statements as I have not seen more Viking raids/outposts for sale at the explorer's hall either.
-Gagundss
[Aug 3, 2013 11:03:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mnemosyne
OceanMaster

I haven't seen any indication that there would be any other trinkets than the usual ones to be won from these expos, while the actual wording made me think there'd be something else but only for this weekend. In other words, nothing exceptional but the payout.

There are no new trinkets introduced in this event, the bit about trinkets and badges is there for players who may not have a lot of experience with expeditions.

It seemed that statement and the one above it("Explorers' Halls across the seas have their cartographers and scouts working day and night to produce additional Viking raid and Imperial outpost maps for sale") are just fluff statements as I have not seen more Viking raids/outposts for sale at the explorer's hall either.

Explorers' Halls should be spawning maps more frequently, but it's possible that the rate hasn't been increased enough. We'll take a look at that.
[Aug 5, 2013 10:59:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

I haven't seen any indication that there would be any other trinkets than the usual ones to be won from these expos, while the actual wording made me think there'd be something else but only for this weekend. In other words, nothing exceptional but the payout.

There are no new trinkets introduced in this event, the bit about trinkets and badges is there for players who may not have a lot of experience with expeditions.

Thanks for the clarification. In this sense the wording becomes true but at the same time, it isn't really (and yes, only speaking for Emerald but I'd imagine it's the same for Meridian, don't know about the rest): experienced players probably don't really see the majority of the IO and viking trinkets as 'rare' and/or those trinkets really aren't rare when compared with other trinkets. Hence my confusion and me referring this event to 'only a bigger payout'. Not saying I haven't enjoyed the trinkets and the poe.

In general, I'm wondering how much these bigger payout weekends have affected the area they're aimed at - and when thinking about the future, I cannot stop worrying about that eventually, they'll lose the shiny factor and will become just..well, 'just double payouts' instead of an actual lure to get pirates out of the poker tables. Another thing that I personally ponder is that how much do these events suffer from the (big paying) blockades that may take - timewise - a huge chunk off of the weekend?

I don't want to sound as negative about these as it comes out. I have happily enjoyed all of it but at the same time, it isn't just positive - or is it? Am I completely wrong?
Sizzly of Emerald.

[Aug 5, 2013 11:45:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
etieti

What about a flotilla event week end?

We obviously need something about flotillas! :)
Emerlaus/XOEmerlaus on Sage

Currently Naving everything on Sage!
Pwning BK's every single day!
[Aug 5, 2013 7:12:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrb03

Just voicing my opinion hear since you asked.

I am not a big fan of this idea. first my pirate background. I am the type of person that plays randomly around the week when I find time, I also play on the weekend, but sometimes four hours, sometimes one, depending on time constraints. I also play on cerulean for information purposes.

Good things:
1. thanks for asking for feedbeek
2. thanks for experimenting with new ideas.

Bad things:
1 . I believe this gives a great reward for a little effort, usually not good.
2. It rewards specific pirates based on their situation, while leaving others out in the cold, potentially disenchanting some pirates. For example those that have the ocean memmed and a four hour stretch can make quite a bit from the extra gems, but new pirates, will pretty much miss out completely. The same is true with foraging to a lesser extent, requiring capital, a boat, and a crew to move the goods, but individual pirates may largely miss out.
3. for people that that do not play the weekend, or those that simply don't have the time, these events are fairly short and short noticed. Long term changes that make people happy would be better in my opinion. I would suggest for short term changes a smaller but fun reward like a chance to get a special piece of furniture just by logging in and talking to an ocean master on the dock. Now that sounds fun, quick and easy and requires no skill for new pirates, the reward is good but wouldnt affect poe values any more than any piece of LE furniture release. especially if so many pirates had said item.
- Jublain (Cerulean)
- Captain of Knot Working
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wrb03 at Aug 9, 2013 7:11:57 AM]
[Aug 9, 2013 7:09:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
OtherJenny

Just voicing my opinion hear since you asked.

I am not a big fan of this idea. first my pirate background. I am the type of person that plays randomly around the week when I find time, I also play on the weekend, but sometimes four hours, sometimes one, depending on time constraints. I also play on cerulean for information purposes.

Good things:
1. thanks for asking for feedbeek
2. thanks for experimenting with new ideas.

Bad things:
1 . I believe this gives a great reward for a little effort, usually not good.
2. It rewards specific pirates based on their situation, while leaving others out in the cold, potentially disenchanting some pirates. For example those that have the ocean memmed and a four hour stretch can make quite a bit from the extra gems, but new pirates, will pretty much miss out completely. The same is true with foraging to a lesser extent, requiring capital, a boat, and a crew to move the goods, but individual pirates may largely miss out.
3. for people that that do not play the weekend, or those that simply don't have the time, these events are fairly short and short noticed. Long term changes that make people happy would be better in my opinion. I would suggest for short term changes a smaller but fun reward like a chance to get a special piece of furniture just by logging in and talking to an ocean master on the dock. Now that sounds fun, quick and easy and requires no skill for new pirates, the reward is good but wouldnt affect poe values any more than any piece of LE furniture release. especially if so many pirates had said item.

Matey if yea need charting send me a /Tell in game , this is a free service, as long as im not doing other piratey stuff. Other are also able to chart for free.
PauseyPaul a Proud Ceruleanian Yar! & Collector of Renamed Clownfish Sloops :)
UK based so on GMT Time, but Happy to log on @ Silly O Clock for Trades.
Clotho tells ye, "Prometheus is in charge of renames"
Handmade Super Avatar by t
[Aug 9, 2013 8:53:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

The increased market price for fruit is going to very much benefit anyone who has a lot of fruit stored at the place they sell it...
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[Aug 9, 2013 8:59:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

"Weekend Event" Discussion Reply to this Post

I like the motivation behind these special weekend events, OOO wants players to try new stuff and in some ways concentrate the player base into one area to reach a critical mass.

That said, I don' t, I don't think these events are any where near as effective as the monthly seal 'o piracy trophies.

This weekends specials seem to be really poorly thought out.

• Markets are paying anywhere from 33% to 50% more for fruit.

Most fruit runners that I know will have large quantities fruit sitting at markets waiting for good prices. If the market price for limes has gone up from 50% from 4 to 6PoE, they aren't going to care. They will wait for the 15PoE price to come along. If limes go up from 15 to 22, great, more profit for them, but they aren't going to change anything. That fruit was foraged days or even weeks ago.

New people getting into foraging are just going to lose PoE over this by matching pay of experienced forage runners when the short-term market price is too low. It isn't something that fits into a weekend.

• Gem thieves are less active, so large quantities of gems are more likely to make it through a voyage.

Gem thieves aren't a real problem before. You just keep the number of gems on a ship below 24, then when you are ready, you gather your hundreds of gems together and rush to market. Losing a few less gems isn't going to change anything.

New people getting into gem running are not going to know when to buy gems to get a reasonable profit, or have dozens of ships in the correct ports, or have routes memmed. It isn't something that fits into a weekend.

• Merchant brigands are operating at an increased rate and shipping their goods to distant destinations. Their attraction to trading posts has increased.

I can't see this doing much for the average players. <Merchant> bots are common enough at the few very busy islands that if you want to hunt them, you already can. For the vast majority of islands/routes (including every single island on Cerulean), <merchant> bots just aren't going to be common enough to make a difference.

If the spawn rates have, as is implied, been cranked up, well, that is good for shopkeepers, including lots of shopkeepers who haven't logged on for years.

This isn't something that the average player is going to notice or take advantage of in a weekend.

• Merchant brigands will also carry more fruit on average.

Who is going to care about this???

• Compelled by an abundance of fruit, encounters with the mischievous Monkey Boat are more common.

OK, there are some monkey boat hunters, but they can be hunted easy enough other ways.

• On doubloon oceans, the doubloon fee for opening stalls has been slashed in half. Grab a labor badge with the doubloons you'll save!

Oh, good. Lots of new shopkeepers who aren't going to be prepared with commods and labor alts are going to rush in and lose PoE while keeping existing shopkeepers from making a profit while they booch the market.

Shopkeeping isn't something that can be done in a weekend.

I get the impression that OOO vaguely knows what kinds of things are done in their game, but really hasn't done them. Several of these are actually going to hurt people.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Aug 9, 2013 10:12:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Re: "Weekend Event" Discussion Reply to this Post

• Compelled by an abundance of fruit, encounters with the mischievous Monkey Boat are more common.

OK, there are some monkey boat hunters, but they can be hunted easy enough other ways.

• I came across a few of my hearties who used this one. Many monkey bote hunters-- or would-be hunters-- really don't like the patience required to attract the monkeys.

I get the impression that OOO vaguely knows what kinds of things are done in their game, but really hasn't done them.

Afraid I agree with you.
    [Aug 9, 2013 11:23:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Posts: 77   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
    [Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates