• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 78
Posts: 78   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6193 times and has 77 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background - Literature Edition [Winners announced] Reply to this Post

Ahoy again, everyone! It's portrait background time!

Winners!

Theme:
The theme for this edition is a little different than anything we've tried before, we will focus on an area where only the bravest of pirates dare to delve: Literature! Use scenes inspired by your favourite poem or book, preferably written before 1900. But here's the catch: the scene depicted must fit the game! So take yer pirates on a tour, dust those old, favourite books of yours and let yer imagination fly!

Submissions:
Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size. The preferred file format is .png
Entries must fit the appropriate scale.

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170
Expansive backgrounds: 2000 x 1275

Reworking entries:
To update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry. If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. We don't want anyone laboring on some amazing art that has to be ignored because of this.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.
You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.

Upload your images to the YPPedia, name the file according to the naming scheme listed there, and also post links to the thumbnails here in this thread, for comment. If you want your pirate name to appear rather than your account name should you win, please follow the image tag scheme below carefully.

Instructions for destination filename
The arrtists have requested a change to the naming of files uploaded to YPPedia for this contest. This naming scheme may not be the same as the general YPPedia file upload scheme, but we're hoping that it's distinctive enough that it won't cause undue confusion. Note that this is in addition to the requirements for the image tags.
Requested format for the filenames on YPPedia:
monthly_yourname_title_the_way_you_want_to_appear_in_game.png
All in lower-case and put underscores between all the separate words in the title

(YPPedia will change the first m into M - don't worry about this). So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Clotho's Tangled Threads, I would use:
monthly_clotho_tangled_threads.png

Instructions for tags in the summary field
The tag for this contest is "aug13contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload, then, should be:
{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|Portrait Title}}
where
"contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag shown below, "accountname" is replaced by your own forum name
"creditname" is replaced by either your forum name again, or your pirate name, whichever you want credited with the background
"Portrait Title" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background

e.g. {{aug13contest|Clotho|Spinner|Loom}}
or {{aug13contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|Spindle}}

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice.
e.g. {{aug13contest|Clotho|Clotho|Tangled Threads}}

Judging:
Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors.

The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the arrrtists and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if the background didn't win, it can be submitted for future contests as long as it fits the theme within each contest. Go ahead and enter past entries if you wish, however, you shouldn't submit crops of past backgrounds that have already had a win and have been seen in game before.

Prizes:
A winning entry will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds, usually for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it is available. Each winning entrant will also receive a Puzzle Pirates real-life item and a pack of playing cards in the mail, a free copy of his/her portrait in-game, choice of Bluebeard, Fishheadred or Greenbones egg or doll, and a clothing item of her choice in the color(s) of her choice.

The clothing item can be any item that can be ordered from a tailoring shoppe without needing a design or reputation. In the event of the same artist winning multiple prizes or multiple months, an additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the artist does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.

Deadline:
August 15th 2013, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions:
-- Make it look like it came right out of the game.
--Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure.
--Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art.
--Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use.
--Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.
--A very small signature in the lower right corner is acceptable.
--In general avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.
--Pay close attention to your composition - the composition of backgrounds related to pirate placement is a major consideration and sometimes otherwise good backgrounds are eliminated because the nicest elements are blocked by the pirates once they are in frame.

Other suggestions and links:
Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!
----------------------------------------

Hilando las hebras de la vida pirata...
Eggatar by Greylady
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Clotho at Aug 23, 2013 6:48:06 PM]

[Jul 16, 2013 8:21:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Literature Edition [Deadline: August 15th] Reply to this Post

This theme sent my bookworm heart soaring. :D
Wayfarer of Meridian, formerly Malachite.
Wuppypuppy of Cerulean :)
I make avatars.
[Jul 16, 2013 8:37:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Literature Edition [Deadline: August 15th] Reply to this Post

Nice, I've had my heart set on an Annabel Lee scene for quite some time now. Only hope I'll find the time to do this.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Jul 16, 2013 11:26:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scheherazade

So far I'm thinking of three--Moby Dick, Gone With the Wind, and Count of Monte Cristo! This is such an awesome category.
Emerald: Controversy, formerly known as Cholera.

Captain of Disorderly House and Princess of Agree to Disagree.
[Jul 16, 2013 11:59:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

@.@ literature.... oh man XD i cant wait to see what you all make
Yumisa World Wide ;)
Your Favourite Cookie Monster <3

[Seasonal Avatars ~ The Comeback! ]
[Jul 16, 2013 12:10:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Does the theme have to be a book written before the 1900's or can it be a book written about that timeline? (eg a story about the 1800's etc) Also, fiction or non fiction? And do we have to credit the book here in the forum threads? Can it be a book written WAY before the 1900's (eg homer's "Illiad")...
I know...so many questions >.< But awesome idea for a background theme ^_^ Maybe i can finish one in a weeks time before I go travelling!!!
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Booful at Jul 16, 2013 2:26:59 PM]
[Jul 16, 2013 2:26:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

and Count of Monte Cristo! This is such an awesome category.

Nooo I was thinking of Monte Cristo!
I loveeddddd it.
But yours will probably be wayyy better, so go for it xD
Wayfarer of Meridian, formerly Malachite.
Wuppypuppy of Cerulean :)
I make avatars.
[Jul 16, 2013 3:28:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scheherazade

and Count of Monte Cristo! This is such an awesome category.

Nooo I was thinking of Monte Cristo!
I loveeddddd it.
But yours will probably be wayyy better, so go for it xD

Ach, no, don't say stuff like that! I'll get a big head from it and float off like one of Cattrin's hot air balloons.

Go ahead and do Monte Cristo! I'll be happy as nobody takes "Atlanta is Burning" from me. xD

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Scheherazade at Jul 16, 2013 3:39:07 PM]
[Jul 16, 2013 3:37:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

No worries both of you can do Monte Cristo and they will turn out very different I'm sure ;)

Here is what I have so far, I'm actually not sure how I'll fill in the rest yet. Annabel Lee's grave must be in there somewhere. I found this awesome tomb which I will use for inspiration.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/Tomb_of_Sofia_Afentaki.JPG

Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Jul 16, 2013 3:41:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

As someone who likes to see pretty pictures, but who cannot sketch or draw without a straight-edge, protractor, and compass :-P I'd say you should both take a shot at Monte Cristo (love the story -- the book (English translations) as well as most of the film adaptations I've seen).

Franklin
Franklin W. Cain (Pirate FranklinCain on Meridian and other Oceans)
[Jul 16, 2013 3:48:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    fwcain [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

I wonder if im allowed somethign "Alice in Wonderland" related XD~
Yumisa World Wide ;)

[Jul 16, 2013 3:56:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scheherazade

PLEASE DO! Scythera's one portrait reminds me of Alice in Wonderland, but I can't remember which one. It had sage-green bushes and hedges in a sort of maze/garden-type feel, with this twisted, wicked-looking fruit. Totally reminded me of, like, the way to the palace of the Queen of Hearts.

[Jul 16, 2013 4:23:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

I dont know what to do XD it could be a table with giant cups and plates (not sure if it could be cups with rum or the alice ones lol)
or something with nature
or or something completely different with roses (bwahaha) or the entrance or *collapses*
Too many things one could do D:
Yumisa World Wide ;)

[Jul 16, 2013 6:44:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Does the theme have to be a book written before the 1900's or can it be a book written about that timeline? (eg a story about the 1800's etc)

It can be any of the above or a combination thereof! It's preferable that it's a book written pre-1900 but that's not a hard rule, just a general guideline.

Also, fiction or non fiction? And do we have to credit the book here in the forum threads? Can it be a book written WAY before the 1900's (eg homer's "Illiad")...

Fiction, non-fiction... the sky is the limit! The only thing you guys need to watch out for is that it fits the general theme and feel within the game.

I know...so many questions >.< But awesome idea for a background theme ^_^ Maybe i can finish one in a weeks time before I go travelling!!!

Please try to finish!

I wonder if im allowed somethign "Alice in Wonderland" related XD~

But of course!

I'm really excited about this edition, can't wait to see the results :)

Hilando las hebras de la vida pirata...
Eggatar by Greylady
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Clotho at Jul 16, 2013 9:47:12 PM]

[Jul 16, 2013 9:46:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

I'm ba~ack!

This all could have been avoided if you re-released the Nemo's Organ background. But as it hasn't, we'll all just have to suffer a Musicologist re-rendering of our favorite Jules Verne classic.
Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian
Clotho tells ye, "I love your musical art, thank you for sharing!"

Avvy by the awesome Velternal!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jongy5 at Jul 17, 2013 7:10:18 AM]
[Jul 17, 2013 7:05:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

I'm ba~ack!

This all could have been avoided if you re-released the Nemo's Organ background. But as it hasn't, we'll all just have to suffer a Musicologist re-rendering of our favorite Jules Verne classic.

Welcome back :)
[Jul 17, 2013 7:49:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

Who likes sucky sketches? bwahahaha

Oh man :P ill just colour this for fun XD and see what happens
Yumisa World Wide ;)

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Hikariks at Jul 17, 2013 12:27:15 PM]
[Jul 17, 2013 12:25:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

Hah?Hah?
Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian
Clotho tells ye, "I love your musical art, thank you for sharing!"

Avvy by the awesome Velternal!
[Jul 17, 2013 12:43:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phamy

I am gonna try 2 things... and I have some authors I have in mind where I want to do something but I have no idea what! one of which I am not sure I will actually do.

I am gonna try to make a barricade.. cause COME ON! who doesn't love the book Les Miserables!

Shakespear... that is what comes to mind. no Idea what I will do from him. he has so many great works. Or Jane Austen. Or something from the book The Birth of Tragedy/The Case of Wagner from Nietzsche.

And... I am gonna try and make a scene out of a poem which is fairly new. The poem always hits a personal note for me... so I am not sure I am gonna do that one :D

IDEAS!!!

Edit: Oh! not a book before the 1900 but this book always talked to me in images. The King of Katoren. A dutch book. AMAZING book!!!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Phamy at Jul 18, 2013 2:52:45 AM]
[Jul 18, 2013 2:50:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scheherazade

I kind of went nuts with the brainstorming. This is gonna be a hectic month. Here's my list of what I'm going to do:

1. A scene from Moby Dick - think: we're in a little boat, the whale is breaching the water!

2. A scene from The Shining: I know it's not historical or anything, but I can't pass up the opportunity to draw a door with a mad Vargas chopping through with an axe.

3. Gone With the Wind - possibly the "Atlanta is Burning" scene, though I'm not sure. I don't really understand how to draw fire.

4. A scene from Dracula - seeing the castle for the first time!

5. Queen of Spades - Being haunted by the queen of spades! (This is my favorite one!)

6. The Secret Garden - Seeing the garden for the first time.

7. Metamorphoses - Saving Andromeda as the sea monster appears.

8. Metamorphoses - This is a little bit sick, so would love to know if maybe I shouldn't do this one. Draw waxen wings do they'd be behind the pirate, and you're up in the sky, like Deadalus... And in the background, a little figure with melting wings is falling. Is that too sick?

9. Last one, I promise, but I thought about doing two: a perspective of Romeo (with Juliet looking down waving from the balcony), and a perspective of Juliet (with Romeo waving up from the ground). Not sure that would really work, though.

So, that's 10 total pieces I might do. I think if I boiled it down to my favorite, like, five, I'd pick Queen of Spades, Moby Dick, the Perseus one, The Shining, and the Romeo and Juliet ones.

Whatcha guys think?

[Jul 18, 2013 5:24:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

WOW controvery!!!! You are a most ambitious Artist!!! I always struggle finishing only one >.< and even thats a challenge!!! I LOVE all your ideas!!!!

As for what i want to work on I know I'm torn between Shakspeare (not sure which scene/story yet will have to do some light weekend reading) Secret garden, Homer's Illiad, A general Literacy scene (I am still searching for a book to fit the image in my head - basically books/what you read coming to life)... though alas I fear unless I can kick my own procrastinating butt I will simply dream about stories for the single week I can actually draw in before leaving to go camping...

So many wonderful ideas everyone!!! Can;t wait to see the entries!!!
[Jul 18, 2013 8:13:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

This sure seems to be an inspirational theme, I love the ideas you guys have. Since there are probably more ideas than there is time to realise them ..... Please run this theme again :)
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Jul 18, 2013 8:16:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

I'm taking a bit of a different spin on this - instead of basing my background on a single book, I am going for "literature" in general - aka The Ship's Library. I plan to fill the shelves with books, add a pedestal table between the wing back chairs, add a couple of books on the table. Do you think this idea is okay? I'd appreciate your feedback! :)

Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Avatar by Dragonjayne :)

Cronus tells ye, "...it's Hera's doing. She spread those horrid lies of me eating poor innocent babies. *burp*"
Cronus tells ye, "When in doubt blame Hera"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by CapnKkatz at Jul 18, 2013 11:05:46 PM]
[Jul 18, 2013 10:58:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raalala

To enter or not re-enter my alice in wonderland spinning themed one... :x

Maaaaan...
xBambehx - Hunter I meant Emerald, honest.
Bambeh - everywhere else

Johnydepp says ; 'BatBam, your f-ing play on words fetish'

[Jul 19, 2013 6:48:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

...I am going for "literature" in general - aka The Ship's Library. I plan to fill the shelves with books, add a pedestal table between the wing back chairs, add a couple of books on the table. Do you think this idea is okay? I'd appreciate your feedback! :)

/e gives two thumbs up ;-)

Addendum:
Wanted to add that, so far, ALL of the ideas in this thread sound great! :-D
I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing the various completed works.

Franklin
Franklin W. Cain (Pirate FranklinCain on Meridian and other Oceans)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Franklincain at Jul 19, 2013 8:11:15 AM]
[Jul 19, 2013 8:09:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    fwcain [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

I'm taking a bit of a different spin on this - instead of basing my background on a single book, I am going for "literature" in general - aka The Ship's Library. I plan to fill the shelves with books, add a pedestal table between the wing back chairs, add a couple of books on the table. Do you think this idea is okay? I'd appreciate your feedback! :)

I really like this one :D but for some reason the right bookshelf, the top part looks kinda weird to my eyes ._.; maybe its just me
Yumisa World Wide ;)

[Jul 19, 2013 8:45:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Yeah I think you are right Yummi. We would either see more of the bottom of the left top shelve or less of the bottom of the back top shelve. I hope that makes sense :S

I've been working on my Annabel Lee background a bit. First outlines of the grave are there. I think I will add a small hill under the grave and find some way to fit in more graves, because it's probably not obvious this is a grave.

I'm not sure if I should add a mourning pirate at the grave or not. I'm afraid that might make the scene a bit crowded. It would probably make it more 'Annabel Lee-ish'

Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Yngve6 at Jul 20, 2013 3:14:25 PM]
[Jul 20, 2013 3:13:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

Its funny how after the moment i posted the sketch, all i did was a linework ._.; and i got sick wooo XD sigh

Ill see if i can fix this and get it to look XD normal?
Yumisa World Wide ;)

[Jul 20, 2013 7:51:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Hm...I've got to brainstorm for this one. Haven't really read any portrait-able literature having taken two AP classes- one for modern and the next for practically modern literature, but I'll have to see haha.

1 Pirate- Great Gatsby green light from the lawn
2 Pirate- The Princess Bridge Inigo fight scene
2 Pirate- Huck Finn raft on the river
1 Pirate- the daffodils from William Wordsworth's poem of the same name
1 Pirate- Disillusionment of Ten O'clock's old sailor's dream of catching tigers in red weather

Though I might end up using the film over the book's description of the second given it's more well-known and recognizable.

The green light seems to fit alright, even though it's set in the future, given it's on the water and mostly nautical.

/shrugs

Trying to pick my mind for the most recognizable/well-known things I've read.

No time for sketching now though, and I'll be without my tablet for 3 weeks. :c May not have time for any at all.

Really do want to do the daffodil one though, it'd be super pretty.
Cattrin of Midnight Cerulean (and sometimes Viridian Meridian)
Avatar by Apollo, Wiske, Shawe, Blakbead, Daeva, Bunnylaroo and Musicologist!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Jul 21, 2013 6:32:08 AM]
[Jul 21, 2013 6:27:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scheherazade

My Moby Dick one is done. Not sure what I'm going to do next. Having fun, though! This one is for 5 pirates.

[Jul 21, 2013 9:04:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 78   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates