• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 29
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3696 times and has 28 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Create Seasonal Fall Trinkets for the Game! [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Entries for this contest should be posted in the Entry Thread.

The aim of this event is to introduce player-created seasonal trinkets that will be available for sale at the Palace Shoppe for a limited period. We aim to run this event approximately once every 3 months.

Trinket Size
The final trinket size must be 36 pixels wide by 39 pixels high. Do not provide any image of your design larger than this. You will need to host your image on an external site so that you can post the image.

Background
The background should be transparent (or plain white if you do not know how to produce a transparent background). Adrielle described a transparency method here. The trinkets use indexed colors and therefore cannot have any semi-transparent elements. The arrrtists can touch things up if they have to, but providing an image ready to go into the game will increase your odds of getting selected.

Content
The trinket may represent anything seasonal related to Fall (Autumn), or to any popular holiday or event that takes place during the period from mid-September to mid-December . So, you could choose a generic Fall theme - autumn weather, leaf colors, deciduous trees, bonfires etc. Or you could go for a particular holiday or date - this period would cover Autumn Equinox, Halloween, Guy Fawkes, US Thanksgiving Day, etc.

If you're depicting anything potentially anachronistic (that is, things that are more modern than the nominal game setting) make sure to make them piratey or period-appropriate in some way. Please avoid duplicating trinkets already in game.

If you do choose a National or religious event to commemorate, try to avoid overt national or religious symbology (picking a random example, if you're representing Wales, a daffodil is more likely to be used than a Welsh flag). Whatever the theme you choose, the content of must be appropriate to the game. Further clarification on this: the most important thing is that your trinket has a strong design and is visually appealing. In terms of picking a theme or holiday, it can be any seasonal occurrence or holiday that happens within the allotted time frame, particularly one that has a secular celebration or observance associated with it that can be represented with recognizable symbology of a non-religious or not-necessarily-religious nature. (e.g. anything from purely natural/seasonal themes to the secular celebration of Day of the Dead).

You can view the previous winning trinkets here: spring, summer and winter.

Originality
Designs should be your own, and created specifically for this event. One exception to this rule is that you may base your entry on YOUR OWN entry from a previous contest!

Colors
You can design your trinket to come in a single color variation, or in a range of colors, as many of the trinkets do. If you wish to have the trinket available in multiple colors, please provide two versions of it, in different colors, so it is clear which elements of the trinket change with the color choice.

If you're using the cloth-color selection, it's helpful to have one of your variants have RED as the changeable color area. If this isn't possible because of the colors elsewhere in your design, try GREEN or GOLD.

If you're using the bone-color selection, it's helpful to have one of your variants have RED as the changeable color area.

Style
You will want to design the trinket so that the artwork is compatible in style to the trinkets already in the game. Take a look at the YPPedia trinket page for an overview of the trinkets already available. It should be obvious, but no animation!

Availability
The intention for these trinkets is that the winning entries will be available for purchase in the Palace Shoppe. They will be inscribable. It is just possible that the arrrtists will choose to use the trinket in a different way - for example, being used as an event prize. The final decision will be made by the arrrtists.

Prizes
A couple of your own trinkets when they become available and a pirate flag (furniture item)! In addition, if you haven't already been awarded it, you will get the Dread Masterpiece trophy when your trinket becomes available in the game.

Judging
There will be a single stage of judging, undertaken primarily by the arrrtists. They will identify the short list of trinkets that they would like to develop for inclusion in the game. They may wish to edit or adapt the trinket design to 'tweak' the design or to make it fit better with other in-game art. They may ask the player artist to make changes, or they may make changes themselves. The final decision on which trinkets are introduced to the game, and on the final design used, rests with these Ringers. Note that trinkets will only be introduced to the game if there are designs considered suitable. Trinkets chosen in this contest may be made available in-game on different dates and for different durations.

Number of entries
Each player may make just ONE entry post, and this post may include up to TWO designs.

How to enter, and deadline
Post your entry in the Entry Thread. Please include the following information at the top of your post:
* Pirate name:
* Ocean:
* Trinket name: (this is your name, but final name for the trinket will be an arrrtist decision)
* Theme / date: (explain what your trinket represents - the season generally, a particular holiday or event (give dates) etc)

If you have two trinket designs in your entry, remember to put in the entry information for both trinkets! If you intend the trinket to be available in multiple colors, include two versions of the trinket in different colors so that it is clear which pieces of the design change with each color choice.

Include your design as an image in the post (see link in next post) - not as a link.

The deadline is 11:59:59pm game time on Wednesday, August 7th, 2013.

Additional information:

Links:
Entry thread (again!)
Trinket page
Adrielle's mini-guide to setting transparency
Standard color options
How to post an image on the forum
Reminder on how to reply to a post
Tips and tricks for entering events

(The next event will be the Winter theme posted at the end of October, covering trinkets relevant for mid-December to mid-March).

Good luck, and have fun!

-------
Para leer el evento en español haz clic aquí
----------------------------------------

Hilando las hebras de la vida pirata...
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Clotho at Aug 16, 2013 5:34:31 PM]

[Jul 10, 2013 8:28:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Re: Create Seasonal Fall Trinkets for the Game! [Deadline August 7th, 2013] Reply to this Post

/stick pokes
I was wondering if there could be a less-frequently-run "non-seasonal trinket" contest, where we could be given the freedom to make trinkets that we would simply enjoy seeing in game? Perhaps they could be available for an entire year, then retired for a new set?

I wouldn't want the current trinkets under the "other" category tab of the palace shoppe to go away, but it would be nice to see something fresh added to it!

Just a thought? Please and thanks!
DEXLA LOUISA MIDNIGHT on Cerulean
[Jul 11, 2013 11:17:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Re: Create Seasonal Fall Trinkets for the Game! [Deadline August 7th, 2013] Reply to this Post

/stick pokes
I was wondering if there could be a less-frequently-run "non-seasonal trinket" contest, where we could be given the freedom to make trinkets that we would simply enjoy seeing in game? Perhaps they could be available for an entire year, then retired for a new set?

I wouldn't want the current trinkets under the "other" category tab of the palace shoppe to go away, but it would be nice to see something fresh added to it!

Just a thought? Please and thanks!

I second this request ^_^
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Jul 11, 2013 8:39:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fireprymid

Would having a transparent background help your chances?
Fireprymid on Sage Emerald ocean.
Avvie by Apolline http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=190669

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198028668668
[Jul 12, 2013 11:00:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Would having a transparent background help your chances?

I wouldn't think it would matter either way.

As long as the trinket is clearly defined from the background (ie easy to select for the background to be made transparent when put into the game) I don't see why having a background would hurt chances. :)

Plus, it wouldn't be fair to say transparent backgrounds are judged better, since not everyone has a program which can save with transparency.

I'm not a judge though!
Cattrin of Midnight Cerulean (and sometimes Viridian Meridian)
Avatar by Apollo, Wiske, Shawe, Blakbead, Daeva, Bunnylaroo and Musicologist!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Jul 12, 2013 2:56:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

@Dexla & Booful - checking with the arrrtists how they want to handle this, I'll update as soon as I know more!

@Fireprymid - Miss Cattrin's reply is right on target!

[Jul 12, 2013 6:09:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Thanks lady Clotho :)
Turns out I have a great idea for a trinket but I am twisting my mind on how i can make it seasonal >.< Once it's done I'll post it here I guess and see if you guys have any possible solutions where I cannot. The idea is for a thimble a collectors item, one with a maple leaf and one with a pirate skull and bones, thinking they would represent halloween and autumn in general as collectors items> and possibly go with the theme for all the other seasons as well...? I dunno. anyways its late time for me to get to bed and stop rambling on in the forums ^^
[Jul 19, 2013 9:19:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kiggins

Pirate name : Oharra
Ocean : Meridian
Trinket name : Sweeping colors
Theme/date : Sweeping in the colors of Thanksgiving. 11, 28, 2013

http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/194/vdzs.png
O'HARRA
[Jul 22, 2013 7:33:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

@kiggins
Make sure to post your entry with[ img] [/img ] tags in the entry thread, otherwise it doesn't count!

[Jul 22, 2013 9:58:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

I've got an idea for a new trinket, but this specific idea I have in mind would have a couple of potential complications. So I thought I should ask first... ;-)

The trinket I'm contemplating would have three (3) color selections. Most trinkets have either one color choice or else two color choices, maximum. Would three color choices be too many?

Also, the color palette I'm anticipating would be "all standard cloth colors EXCEPT BLACK". Can I have an exception in the color palette? Or does it have to be "all or none" with regards a specific color selection?

Thanks!
Franklin
Franklin W. Cain (Pirate FranklinCain on Meridian and other Oceans)
[Jul 22, 2013 10:07:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

@Oharra - also, the image must be 36 x 39 pixels. Nice idea though, so please resize. :D
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald

Cronus tells ye, "...it's Hera's doing. She spread those horrid lies of me eating poor innocent babies. *burp*"
Cronus tells ye, "When in doubt blame Hera"
[Jul 22, 2013 10:07:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

@CapnKkatz
Good catch! I missed the trinket size, thank ye for mentioning it!

@Franklincain
It's not possible to guarantee "no black"- that decision is entirely up to the arrrtists. Three variable colours is also not possible due to the current settings for trinkets. However, you can always set one 'fixed' colour and two variable colours for your design.

[Jul 22, 2013 10:14:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nyoka76

Could I get some feedback on these trinkets? ^^
Don't you hate it when the game lags, and you misplace on a puzzle?

Nyoka on Cerulean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by nyoka76 at Jul 25, 2013 12:34:09 PM]
[Jul 25, 2013 6:03:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

Prizes
A couple of your own trinkets, when they become available...

Question:
Can the winner choose the specific color(s) of the prize trinkets awarded? Or will the color selection be up to the Ocean Master awarding the prizes? Just wondering.

Thanks! ;-)
Franklin
[Aug 2, 2013 10:12:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

From past experience- it depends on the OM's and his or her mood LOL!
I've had them (usually, 2) delivered to my inventory, already color-selected by the OM who was on delivery duty that day. A couple of times, Clotho and I have been on at the same time, and she was kind enough to ask me what color I would like.
They don't cost that much to replace if you're not happy with the color choice!
DEXLA LOUISA MIDNIGHT on Cerulean
[Aug 2, 2013 10:27:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

Thank you, Dexla. ;-)
Since my entry doesn't have a color choice, I was asking this more for the benefit of others, or for future use. Still, I figured it would be good to know.

Good luck to us all.

Thanks,
Franklin
[Aug 2, 2013 11:43:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Only five days left to participate!

[Aug 2, 2013 6:51:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

Re: Create Seasonal Fall Trinkets for the Game! [In judging] Reply to this Post

Quoting from Clotho's closing post in the entry thread:

This contest is now in judging. Good luck, everyone!

*(crosses fingers)*

;-)

Franklin
[Aug 8, 2013 12:55:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Re: Create Seasonal Fall Trinkets for the Game! [In judging] Reply to this Post

Good luck everyone! Try yer hand at the Black Market backgrounds while we wait :)

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Clotho at Aug 8, 2013 4:53:01 PM]

[Aug 8, 2013 4:52:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Re: Create Seasonal Fall Trinkets for the Game! [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Avast me hearties! Announcing the winners!

Bunnylaroo of Emerald - Chrysanthemum

Cattrin of Cerulean - Hunk o' Cornbread

Cattrin of Cerulean - Handful o' Candy Corn

Franklincain of Meridian - Drumstick (aka Turkey Leg)

Greylady of Meridian - Pun'kin Soup

Marishi of Emerald - Mini Mummy (aka Mummy doll)

Nyoka of Cerulean - Witch Puppet

Nyoka of Cerulean - Poison Apple

Prizes and trophies (if applies) will be delivered as soon as the trinkets are implemented in game. Congratulations again!

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Clotho at Sep 16, 2013 5:26:07 PM]

[Aug 16, 2013 5:33:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

Re: Create Seasonal Fall Trinkets for the Game! [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Avast me hearties! Announcing the winners!

Franklincain of Meridian - Drumstick (aka Turkey Leg)

*(cackling with glee, inter-mixed with tears of joy)*

:'-D

*(regains composure)*

Congratulations to all the other winners, as well.

~ Franklin
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Franklincain at Aug 16, 2013 5:44:33 PM]
[Aug 16, 2013 5:42:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

Squee!

Congrats all!
Bunnylaroo of Sage Emerald

[Aug 16, 2013 6:10:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Woohoo! Thanks! And congratz to all of the other winners! :)
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald

Cronus tells ye, "...it's Hera's doing. She spread those horrid lies of me eating poor innocent babies. *burp*"
Cronus tells ye, "When in doubt blame Hera"
[Aug 16, 2013 8:09:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

congrats to all the winners!!!
[Aug 16, 2013 8:32:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Awesome!

Thank you very much and congratulations to all of you as well. C:
Cattrin of Midnight Cerulean (and sometimes Viridian Meridian)
Avatar by Apollo, Wiske, Shawe, Blakbead, Daeva, Bunnylaroo and Musicologist!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Aug 17, 2013 2:51:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Marishi

Congratulations to the winners. My thanks for selecting one of mine!
MARISHI on EMERALD
[Aug 17, 2013 7:04:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fraudrey

Congratulations to the winners! Thanks for a great contest too :)
[Aug 20, 2013 7:52:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nyoka76

I've been literally checking the wrong thread for 10+ days. XDD

Yay! So glad both my trinkets were selected. :D
Don't you hate it when the game lags, and you misplace on a puzzle?

Nyoka on Cerulean
[Sep 3, 2013 3:10:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Arrr! Trinkets are now in game. I will start stalking looking for the winners to deliver prizes. Let's go shopping!

[Sep 16, 2013 5:29:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates