• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 131
Posts: 131   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 24185 times and has 130 replies Next Thread
JJAPS2

Getting things about Cit Runs off my chest Reply to this Post

I need to rant. I'm sorry. But I don't like good work going to waste.

I was responding to a TTQA thread about problems I had with "elite" events. It turned into a rant. I don't just want to delete it and never see it again. So you're hearing it.

Respond, help, clarify, troll, berate, ignore, or spam "Mentlegen is horrible, ban him." Ten thousand times. I don't care.

Wait, sorry, ignore that last one. Wrong game.

Any way:

[rant]

Problem 1:
I'm fine with the fact that SMHes are for "skilled" players. What I don't like is the fact that they believe that everything in only about a single puzzle.

I'm a GM/Leg Patcher. I'm a GM sailor. I'm a Master Bilger (although I haven't been puzzling like one.) And I feel like trash.

Because, apparently, if you can't SF you may as well go into the shoppe business.

Look I understand that Cit runs are focused on SF. I understand that Graveyards are focused on SF. I understand that CI runs have SF components (Although CI's and FF is something I will never understand, but that's for another day.) But apparently that's the ONLY THING that matters.

Problem 2:
I'm, in my opinion, a very good team fighter. I team, I put the boxes together, I break them. I aim for consistent damage, not the OMG INSTA KILL plays. I go for doubles and triples when I can, but I focus on not getting topped out. When I get a screen full of swords, I am able to recover 60% of the time (Which is good, I think). I'm not horrible. Not amazing, but not horrible.

This works great in a team fighting senario, where with 2-3 teams, the sprinkle/small strike patters get all mixed together. This, however is absolutely terrible in a 1v1 senario, as then the opponent can turn it around with 1 well timed breaker.

Problem 2.5:
I like pillaging. I like SMHes. They are fun. I can do those all day.
I don't like Parlor games. They are fun, but in short durations. Like when waiting for a big ship to fill. I want to be a pirate, not a inntart.

So it's really nice that people take teamfighting skill into consideration, and not just look at how good one can play in a 1v1 senario. And it's also really nice that I can prove my worth simply by participating in pillages, and not have to go in the inn and play parlor games so I can participate in a entirely different event.

. . .OH WAIT. . .

I mean, really. I'm a GM sailor, with a Skull Dagger. Do you seriously think that I'm ACTUALLY Neophyte/Able SF? Have you considered the fact that maybe I DON'T go to the inn? Or that maybe I don't like playing 1v1s for hours on end?

More importantly, does "not being a SF master" instantly make me un-viable? I mean, it's ONE puzzle. People have weaknesses.

Now, I'm not saying "Don't look at SF." I understand the need to have some good SF on the ship. But, if you're looking for a say, Master+ cit run, and you see a GM sailor with App/Able SF, THINK ABOUT IT. If he's only Master+ station, then yes, look at the SF. But don't turn down someone who can greatly enhance one important part of a SMH, even though he may not be as capable in other areas.

I'm not saying accept every GM sailor. If you have a ship full of GM sailors, you're going to have a bad time. But the same thing's gonna happen if you have a ship full of GM SFers. And that's something that's bound to happen at one point or another.

You have a variety of roles you need to fill. You need some designated sailors, some designated carpers, some designated bilgers. You need some designated defenders. You need some Sailors, Carpers, and Bilgers who can fray as well, should the need arise. And you need some people who can win the cit. Some people are better at one specific role, others are decent at all of them.

. . .Oh dear. That's a long rant. Sorry bout that. I'm just frustrated that a GM SFer who is able in ever other stat has a better chance than me on getting on a SMH than the other way around. Oh well. Guess I better start looking a DaChimpy's hints on this puzzle. . .

1) Go Fast

How Helpful.

[/rant]
----------------------------------------
AHEM.........Mentlegen?

Mentlegen on the Viridian Ocean
[Jul 2, 2013 8:48:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fujiko

Re: Getting things about Cit Runs off my chest Reply to this Post

I agree -- I've been bothered by the fact that people are looking for skill in fighting in battles in teams, and the stat they're looking at does not measure that ability.
Fujiko on Cerulean.
WTB: Mako ships, penguins, Neerie's prize-winning egg (a card suits one,) more of Greylady's sixth prize-winning eggs (the penguin one.)
[Jul 2, 2013 9:31:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
altheacat

Couldn't agree more. I'm almost never killed in team brawls. I just suck at 1v1 SF as I am not fast enough and also not clever or aggressive enough.

Thankfully I get accepted on pillages, which is good, I stopped buying a Bravery badge months ago.

One solution is to make friends, then they'll know you are a 'good jobber' who does well in frays. I still get invites from hearties to join SMH/CIs which I turn down because I don't buy the badge any more.

One good thing is that you'll make new friends. Secondly you won't get the horrible ship spam on any SMH from all the 'idlers' who only TH and SF and witter away the rest of the time :P
Noushka still of Sage

SO of Privateers
Lady of the Black Flag
[Jul 2, 2013 10:17:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CrustyBoyLin

Yep couldn't agree more, I've been playing this game for like 5-6+ years and I'm still only Neophyte/able SFer Rumbler I don't lose many battles and have some nice trophies to boot apparently they are one of the few games that don't have a lot of scope for upping the rankings but alas I find that those puzzles are only a small proportion of the whole mission, to me and I own ships, I'm a SO in a crew et al, find Duty puzzling much more important after all a good Bnavver for him/her to work needs good sailors carpers etc. to get those move tokens and a good gunner to put solid blocks on opposing SF/Rumble boards I find though the lazers who only SF/TH in effect aren't much use to anybody yet will still get a lions share of the booty, still that's another issue LOL....all I can say thank god there are players out there that DO appreciate the bigger picture and they are the guys that I regularly pillage/SMH with either as part of my regular crew or as a jobber for other crews even to the degree they ask me if I want to job, LOL who needs NBs......
I'm only wearing Black until they invent something darker.
[Jul 2, 2013 11:52:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    fulcher466 [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

I mean, really. I'm a GM sailor, with a Skull Dagger. Do you seriously think that I'm ACTUALLY Neophyte/Able SF? Have you considered the fact that maybe I DON'T go to the inn? Or that maybe I don't like playing 1v1s for hours on end?

Not going to argue this one, because that's roughly me. Though my favored weapon is rapier because hey, I only fight bots.

You can probably get on the occasional citadel run, especially if you've made connections on other types of trips. If you do that, you'll pick up silver citadel sooner or later. Put that up in the visible trophies part of your pirate page, and that should answer most questions about your SF skill. I'm not going to say that's the way it would work in a perfect world, but I've received enough "I'm good enough, trust me" tells from people who simply weren't good enough that I can understand OiCs wanting solid proof.

-----------

My own rant about citadels? OOO, can you dial back the payouts just a hair? It's nice that you fixed the original abysmal payouts, but you overcompensated.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by xelto at Jul 2, 2013 2:02:52 PM]
[Jul 2, 2013 2:00:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JJAPS2

"I'm good enough, trust me" tells from people who simply weren't good enough that I can understand OiCs wanting solid proof.

I do understand this (it's also kind of the reason why FF is required for CI's, although that creates a pretty nasty cycle that's hard to break.)
AHEM.........Mentlegen?

[Jul 2, 2013 3:38:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bobafeis

Gurndigarn wrote: 
My own rant about citadels? OOO, can you dial back the payouts just a hair? It's nice that you fixed the original abysmal payouts, but you overcompensated.

I think that this could potentially solve a lot of the problem. Sure, a lot of people will still load cit runs because they're somewhat easy to nav and they usually take less time to load than a frig, but it should change the ratio of cit runs:non-cit frig/brig runs.

That ratio is at the heart of the problem for me, at least. I, like others, hate spending all my time in the inn. I'm also not entirely in love with 1vs1 SF. . The last time threads about overly exclusive cit runs popped up, the consensus was pirates like me should suck it up, go hit the tables anyway and grind away until reaching master SF. So I did and now have pirates on each dub ocean with master SF. Now most runs I see ask for ren/GM+ SF and I still have problems getting jobbed. I wouldn't mind so much if I saw more inclusive runs on the board, but that number is down sharply from what it was this time last year, which means there's often no run on the board that will take me.

I'm not hating on people who choose to run exclusive runs: they're being rewarded for doing so (or at least they think they are - my experiences on Cerulean tell me that a boat full of awesome solo-SFers isn't a requirement for winning a cit). Cut back on the reward and the behavior should slowly stop.

For everyone else until then, maybe try Cerulean if you have an extra $10 or 42 dubs and see if you like it? There are still exclusive runs, but because of our low population, they're forced to be a bit more open-minded about jobbers. Navs tend to be looking for any master+ stat at all or even just evidence that you're a well-rounded pirate, not just focused on SF skill. In fact, I've never had a single person screen me for my sf stat, question my right to be on a run or threaten to plank me if we lose a citadel, which is not true of the larger oceans. Cerulean is also, incidentally, where I don't bother caring about what my SF stat is.
-Annarinda (blue)/Arryarrwoot (green)/possibly other pirates along the way-
Eca drew a picture of me.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Bobafeis at Jul 2, 2013 3:55:32 PM]
[Jul 2, 2013 3:54:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

In complete agreement. Basing cit run jobbing mainly on SF standing is silly.

I'm lucky - I got my SF up to legendary about seven years ago and pretty much stopped playing the puzzle after that. The number of rated games I've played since probably coincides very strongly with the number of seals o' piracy that require playing a rated SF game to earn. I suspect that if I started playing rated SF (or rumble) now, my standing would plummet.

Things like this make me miss the old sea battle stat.
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Avatar Thread | Finished Artsy Stuff | Sketches
[Jul 2, 2013 9:45:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com/blog    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
Cartrunner

There's a line at which your standing screams you're horrid at the puzzle and therefore not as useful as other players. It's not that you should quit the game over it, it's just others are more qualified?

HOW DO I FIX THIS IF I DON'T WANT TO BE DISCRIMINATED ON SF.
Go get better at the puzzle. Youtube alone has tons of instructional and higher level videos. I can also link to a few good written pages if you PM me, like Tzz's ultimate guide.

Or find boats that don't screen for that. Good luck.
Ye told Hera, "eggspammer."
Ye told Hera, "reported."
Hera tells ye, "<3"

Aurorakim tells ye, "you're my new hero"
[Jul 3, 2013 1:40:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
altheacat

Come on Cart... it's not about videos, SF is a game of two halves:

- One; against bots.. doesn't actually need much speed,
- Second against players... needs fast reflexes

Amirite?

OK so that's the same as carping/patching, I get incred/excellent carp and suck at patching cos am not fast. Nor will I ever become faster, older pirates like me just can't do it. I might as well try to run downstairs, ain't got the knees for that no more.

I'm not saying that the other posters are all older ( though looking at their grammar and punctuation I have my suspicions ), but some people will never be as good as others at some puzzles. Yet I can outsail a large proportion of the ocean ( current standing GM I think ), carp well, bilge OK, gun fine, so I am a good jobber on pillages and even SMHs. And I bet the other posters here are.

So, put me in a bot/fray, or even against skellies and I keep them busy in my slow way, I don't insta but I kill my fair share and more. Let me sail, and you know you need sailors after each Cit... heck, you actually job me don't you, though I am horrid at 1v1 SF, first to admit it... :P

It's just not all about SF on any ship, any time, it's about a good multi-functional team, of willing and skilled workers, and honestly those Cit frays aren't hard are they.
Noushka still of Sage

SO of Privateers
Lady of the Black Flag
[Jul 3, 2013 3:25:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Elite everything sucks. Don't need to yell out how hypocritical I am, I'm aware. Elite everything still sucks.
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Jul 3, 2013 6:09:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JJAPS2

[small rant]

The last time threads about overly exclusive cit runs popped up, the consensus was pirates like me should suck it up, go hit the tables anyway and grind away until reaching master SF. So I did and now have pirates on each dub ocean with master SF. Now most runs I see ask for ren/GM+ SF and I still have problems getting jobbed.

On Forums: OMG GAME IS DEAD NO ONE PLAYS.

In Game: There's too many Master+ we need to go up to GM.

Sense != This

Also, story time:

A few weeks ago our crew had a cit run. They let me on (obviously.) The first cit consisted of what could be some of the worst teaming I've seen in a while. And then when we lost they said "It's up to the JC to ensure that there's not horrible SFers on this ship!"

yu7byb u gtv

I'm sorry, that's my face committing murder on my keyboard.
[/small rant]

For everyone else until then, maybe try Cerulean if you have an extra $10 or 42 dubs and see if you like it?

Hmmm. . .I may actually do that.
AHEM.........Mentlegen?

[Jul 3, 2013 6:44:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

SF standing has nothing to do with yer ability to team.
You only gain (or lose) standing through 1v1 games. No teaming involved there. /e shrugs

Some folks who manage citadel runs know this. Unfortunately, there's no clear metric available for telling who is able to help rather than hinder in frays.
-SF standing (Easy to check)
-Trophies (Annoying to check if you have to hunt through each person's page)
--Silver/Golden Citadel
--Bone Head/ Head Hunter/ Bejeweled skull
--Skellie Slayer/ Skellies Bane
--Possibly Silver BK trophies, espeically Barnabas?
--Possibly Swordsman trophies (especially combined with low experience in SF - clearly you play a lot of unrated puzzles if you've got some of the higher levels of those.
--Possibly zombie and werewolf fray trophies if yer more concerned about teaming than SF skill.
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Avatar Thread | Finished Artsy Stuff | Sketches
[Jul 3, 2013 7:43:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com/blog    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
Fujiko

For everyone else until then, maybe try Cerulean if you have an extra $10 or 42 dubs and see if you like it?

Hmmm. . .I may actually do that.

C'mon over, the water's blue!
Fujiko on Cerulean.
WTB: Mako ships, penguins, Neerie's prize-winning egg (a card suits one,) more of Greylady's sixth prize-winning eggs (the penguin one.)
[Jul 3, 2013 10:26:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

The people who only look at the SF stat don't seem to know or care that the ability to fight bots is not the same as the ability to fight other people. It also doesn't clue you in to how they behave in a team situation.

It's been a while, but when I used to MAA and run my own CIs, the whole pirate info made a picture. If you're good at the pillage puzzles, then I figured you knew how to behave. I'd rather have someone with ship experience and a meh SF rating than someone with no ship experience and a GM+ in one parlor stat.

I went on a cit run a week or so ago. It was fun, but every swordfight, people would 'yell' at the puzzlers once they died. It wasn't my run, so it wasn't my place to say anything, but it bugged me. If you're fighting, do you want your teammates to be reading chat, or fighting? Also, you shouldn't be yelling at someone who is single fighting a bot with an almost full screen. Yeah, hey, you were teamed, the other person died, but you need to reteam so that bot can empty their pieces onto someone else. They weren't taking into account the couple seconds it takes for the teaming dots to update.
Jolyma

[Jul 3, 2013 9:08:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

The people who only look at the SF stat don't seem to know or care that the ability to fight bots is not the same as the ability to fight other people. It also doesn't clue you in to how they behave in a team situation.

It's been a while, but when I used to MAA and run my own CIs, the whole pirate info made a picture. If you're good at the pillage puzzles, then I figured you knew how to behave. I'd rather have someone with ship experience and a meh SF rating than someone with no ship experience and a GM+ in one parlor stat.

I went on a cit run a week or so ago. It was fun, but every swordfight, people would 'yell' at the puzzlers once they died. It wasn't my run, so it wasn't my place to say anything, but it bugged me. If you're fighting, do you want your teammates to be reading chat, or fighting? Also, you shouldn't be yelling at someone who is single fighting a bot with an almost full screen. Yeah, hey, you were teamed, the other person died, but you need to reteam so that bot can empty their pieces onto someone else. They weren't taking into account the couple seconds it takes for the teaming dots to update.

All of this.
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Jul 4, 2013 1:00:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cartrunner

SF standing has nothing to do with yer ability to team.
You only gain (or lose) standing through 1v1 games. No teaming involved there. /e shrugs

I fully understand there's no teaming indicator. The reason I said what I did is because in my experience, people figuring out 2s and 3s work the best in citadels is a nonissue. Knowing when to solo dead and dying goons and following the momentum curves most citadel frays take isn't really as basic and I've seen ables and ultimates alike, myself included somewhere in the middle, make poor choices late in frays.

My issue is mainly that clearing little sprinkles and singles, even a double or two, is largely ineffective even when doubled up unless they're perfectly synced. I'm better off with someone sending a large strike by themselves if I'm hoping for the kill. Both situations get screwed by breaker droughts and such, but one is straight-out more effective in collapsing a fray than the other. If you want to argue this, you may, but that's my experienced opinion. Maybe I'm wrong, there's no real OM input here to say, but I'm going to stick with that summary of results.

No, my runs do not win every citadel. But there are a lot of patterns I've watched, at least more than the average jobber.
Hera tells ye, "<3"

[Jul 4, 2013 3:41:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inframan8

OK so that's the same as carping/patching, I get incred/excellent carp and suck at patching cos am not fast

Yeah.. I don't like when people think that carp isn't a speed puzzle. Pet peeve. Although I really couldn't compare it to patching since I never played it past the test ocean. le sigh.

I'm actually going to agree with Cart here. The reason why some of these runs take so long to job is because people would rather have someone who can do everything instead of just one job set. A few years ago, I used to be one of those broad/dist sfers who could sf decently just was never at the inn to do so. Some of us don't find certain puzzles as fun as others. Once I started getting denied from the more elite runs, I actually worked on it. I had friends who were fairly decent at the times who were more than happy to help. Alicecut locked me in her basement until I learned it..

Idk what everyone else thinks, but when I see a app/able sfer, I see someone who doesn't have the experience to team. I'd have to look for other signs if the person was that determined to join. Having a silver cit trophy would show that he's been in a decent amount of cits and has probably had that one XO who yelled bloody hell until every teamed correctly. Or if anything, I'd job the person and ask them to sf me just to give them a chance.

Edit:

Just remembered this.
I really don't think that the pay is THAT good on cit runs. I'm that person who navers usually give that crappy kark to because I work so hard and usually get crap. ):
Inframan
Super Retired.
Newest!
Loathe says, "Infra is carp god."
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Inframan8 at Jul 4, 2013 4:07:58 AM]
[Jul 4, 2013 3:48:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
elbeejay

My problems with citadel runs are totally different from the grievances I am reading here.

I first tried my hand at citadel runs back when Chrustschov was the only name in the citadel hunting world. In the beginning, runs were very difficult because the citadels would only spawn in the deeper end of the map, and once you won a citadel, you had no moves to get out of there.

Since then the payouts have increased, citadels will spawn in z3, and you get a set of starting moves when you exit. So I guess my problem is that citadel runs on the whole have gotten far too easy and have taken away some of the allure and mystery to what was once a rarely explored, difficult, and risky endeavor.

Just my two cents
-Elbee on Hunter, Sage, Viridian, and Malachite
[Jul 4, 2013 5:33:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

I first tried my hand at citadel runs back when Chrustschov was the only name in the citadel hunting world. In the beginning, runs were very difficult because the citadels would only spawn in the deeper end of the map, and once you won a citadel, you had no moves to get out of there.

And it was uphill! Both ways!

--------------------------

Yeah, I have to agree with you. A lot of the fun, for me, was the challenge of doing something that nobody in their right mind would do. It's sorta like 4-man CIs. Or two-man CIs.

/e had silver citadel before silver citadels were mainstream.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Edit 2 times, last edit by xelto at Jul 4, 2013 6:23:19 AM]
[Jul 4, 2013 5:54:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
altheacat

OK so that's the same as carping/patching, I get incred/excellent carp and suck at patching cos am not fast.

Yeah.. I don't like when people think that carp isn't a speed puzzle. Pet peeve. Although I really couldn't compare it to patching since I never played it past the test ocean. le sigh.

Yeah, sorry carp is speed based, I know that and I can prove it, my very first pirate got sublime/ult at carp, I just played the puzzle all the time until I got good at it. One factor being, of course that I enjoy it.

But I still maintain that patching is actually MORE speed based than carp. I'll put my hand up and say I find it boring, though I may have a go at it one day, when I've cracked my current nightmare ( Dnav)

To the OP, there you are, the people who run Cits are allowed to job whoever they like, and you can either get better at SF at the inn or find other ways to amuse yourself. Or, as I said earlier, make friends by jobbing for people and if they see you're good in frays, as I am sure you are, they'll job you for Cit runs.

Cart, thank you for the explanation, now it makes sense. I do know about teaming on 'dying' bots btw. However, I still think that SF is totally different when one fights bots or people. I do have the silver citadel of course, but I must have got that before the SF requirement came in. I stopped buying the badge after I was made to SF an GM SF-er and was planked without a word half way through the 'trial'.
Noushka still of Sage

SO of Privateers
Lady of the Black Flag
[Jul 4, 2013 6:31:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

--I stopped buying the badge after I was made to SF an GM SF-er and was planked without a word half way through the 'trial'.

Well okay then. I don't want to join any run that this idiot does so PM me his/her name, please. I want to avoid that pirate (should I ever feel like moving out from my pee corner in the inn).

Edit: wording.
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Notsizzly at Jul 4, 2013 6:51:22 AM]
[Jul 4, 2013 6:45:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tyley

.OH WAIT. . .
you can be amazing at any puzzle and terrible at the rest and if you arent bad at SF its no issue to get ranks as long as you dont have tons of experience and i would rather have people who send strong attacks and solo occasionally then people who team and send nothing when someone isnt sending attacks they arent really making any kind of real contribution unless they are getting hit by multiple goons and stalling and just because you have a skull dagger doesnt mean your any good at SF i could litterly go to the dock and hand out falches but that wouldnt make anyone i gave them too any more skilled than they are. people do job people below SF rank sometimesso basically if all your stations are no good at SF and dont send fast it doesnt matter who else you job your gonna lose a team of 3 that doesnt hit is worse than a solo who does also you can get your SF to GM by beating like 3 legendary SFers it isnt hard at all
prince of MMW
[Jul 4, 2013 11:07:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

SF really is the most important thing for a citadel run. If you can't win a fray then your booty will be zero, whereas a mixed bag of stationers from say Respected upwards will get you off the board.

I agree only that a more accurate indicator of team skill would be nice. But actually 1v1 is pretty good ... a lot of people who say 'oh but I'm good at team SF' actually aren't, they're good at being really slow and not dying but never send any attacks.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Jul 4, 2013 12:10:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cartrunner

SF really is the most important thing for a citadel run. If you can't win a fray then your booty will be zero, whereas a mixed bag of stationers from say Respected upwards will get you off the board.

I agree only that a more accurate indicator of team skill would be nice. But actually 1v1 is pretty good ... a lot of people who say 'oh but I'm good at team SF' actually aren't, they're good at being really slow and not dying but never send any attacks.

Italicized because it was the point I was trying to make before. Yea, you don't die, but you also don't successfully build and kill the opponents and lose situations such as 8 on 3 that should be easy wins when everyone is teaming, they're just being pathetically outplayed.
Hera tells ye, "<3"

[Jul 4, 2013 4:43:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Preciousjewl

Agree-ish. There is no point in being on a citrun where they have jobbed too many able sfers. The objective is to win cits.
A few ables don't matter. In fact, they sometimes seem so grateful to be on a citrun they can be relied upon not to laze.
BUT I would never job for someone who has jobbed respected duty puzzlers either.

Italicized because it was the point I was trying to make before. Yea, you don't die, but you also don't successfully build and kill the opponents and lose situations such as 8 on 3 that should be easy wins when everyone is teaming, they're just being pathetically outplayed.

Disagree. There is no evidence that these people dont build combos. I would agree they are probably slow at their opener.
I love love love sf because I love building big combos - it's just fun. Playing against a player denies me this as I need to break either before they do or when they do - it's just boring.
Sf ing against skellies/bots in a fray and playing one on one versus player is chalk and cheese.

Anyway, back to this poor peep who wants to get jobbed onto cit runs.
1/ Get your puzzle to ult - if it's sailing or carp I can help with advice/pointers.
2/ Job on elite pillies and hearty the bnaver.
3/ Join a crew which do citruns
4/ When jobbed onto a citrun never ever ever ever ever ever laze.

cheers

PJ
(Preciousjewl - Emerald)

PS Carbonoxide did a sf exercise for me a year or so back. Send me a tell if you wish to see it.
Practise until you can complete this exercise successfully and you will easily be able to beat other players to get ren.
Maybe higher - I dont know - as soon as I can get the skellie mission ie ren - I stop playing rated.

PPS My pet peeve on a citrun:
The elite friends of a bnaver who come on and laze laze laze. Why does the bnaver put up with this? Drives me insane when we have empty stations and the bnaver/maa is saying constantly to station. I so wish these bnavers would just plank these elites who dont station (and who arn't permies or gunners). I mean really - get an able who will station before getting an elite who just chats the whole time.
Awesome Avatar by the Awesome Gamerfrk - Thanx Gamer :):):):)
[Jul 4, 2013 5:48:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

Disagree. There is no evidence that these people dont build combos. I would agree they are probably slow at their opener.

There are a few people who are bad at 1v1 because they are too slow to open and are good in team frays. There are far more who are just too slow overall and claim (possibly even think themselves) that they are one of the former.

If you're really one of the former, learn to break a disruption opener and you will see your ranking rise.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Jul 5, 2013 10:49:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lordchicken9

Man these types of threads always seem to come back xD

Well, I've noticed on a lot of cit runs that I go on now and even a few years ago, that there are A LOT of able/proficient SFers on board when I see who's on even when the bubble says ''Elite'' or something that at first glance makes you think its restricted. I don't find that people have that much difficulty getting on a cit run anymore if they can't SF. And if you can't get on, its probobly your fault, there are so many ways to get on board, some have already said, hearty someone who does them, get in a crew that does them, Xebec runs probobly aren't THAT elite to everyone who jobs so get on those, get silver/gold cit, <--- with that you can already get on so many >.<

Take advantage of runs who can't get many jobbers right off the bat and get desperate to get some pirates on board.

Personnaly, I think you do need people who can send quick instas or big strikes right off the bat so you automatically have an advantage and the teaming issue isn't as much of an issue at that point. When no goons are dying right off the bat I don't think the fray goes as well.
Chickenlord on Emerald

Helen Keller once said: The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart.
How would she know XD?

Captinary did the avatar :o with my recommandations on the
[Jul 5, 2013 9:17:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
upgrade431

Cit runs are a priviledge, NOT a right.
-Upgradde on Cerulean and Emerald Ocean

-My words are my own, and are not a representation of others.
[Jul 5, 2013 9:50:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

I have a question that probably the regular any-voyage-runners can answer: do we actually have constant flood of new players coming into the game now and applying for these adventures? Or is it just the same old farts standing in the inn buying eggs and selling crap?
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Jul 6, 2013 3:06:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 131   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates