• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 46
Posts: 46   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8712 times and has 45 replies Next Thread
Cartrunner

Recompense Reply to this Post

I'm going to copypasta my response to Eurydice's post in Emerald Parley, cause this plan should be gamewide, and I'd advocate for other players to go class-action on this. I'll also follow this post with some replies to counter-arguments against my ideas. I've been around here long enough to know past some of the oh but you can't this or that, and I'm kind of over the time-waste.

Eurydice wrote: 
It's not the servers, it's our ISP that's having a problem. The ISP folks are working on fixing it.

I'll expect that OOO will be doing some kind of service redemption to the multiple players whose time were wasted on runs that sunk, even if the investing pirate was refunded, perhaps with some multiple booty whatever weekend or some such upcoming.

I personally, am kinda tired of the "RAHRAH IT'S OUR ISP WE CAN'T FIX IT OMG SORRY" card, even if you rebuild my frig. I play this game for my own fun, and wasting Xhours loading, only to waste Xhours of multiple other people's time when your crap breaks, is pathetic.

Here's some constructive ideas. Feel free to +1 my post or any part of it to get support and get some improvement on this stuff. You don't have to like me or what I do on the game, but do it for the player community as a whole. We all have a small voice, let's use it for good.

#1: Players need to be aware: When there's issues like this going on, even once, be honest about it. If you can give a log-in message about a reboot, I guarantee you can set one up to say "hey we've had issues avoid big-expense/big time-expense choices such as sinking encounters, high wagers in poker, other puzzles, etc. Even the pillagers would appreciate not having their time wasted when they DC and some vulture brigands snag the 5 KBs they've been hoarding.

#2: Apology: Look, most players don't expect perfection. A hey, look sorry this is going on in Hear Ye: Announcements or somewhere on game would be swell, rather than just to those who run into issues. Believe me, it won't fix every mad pirate's feelings, but it'll calm a lot more than just pretending everything's peachy. Even if it's something your staff can't fix, or can't fix immediately, don't play dumb. Most of us will respect the game a lot more if you can be a little humble with us. Maybe more than 3 of the iPad players will stick around then, and the game will slow its decline.

#3: Recompense: As soon as OOO knows of issues on their end, we shouldn't be sending multiple tells, petitions, etc, etc to just get back what they lost, never mind GAINING something for their time input. Declare a time period of extra payouts, give everyone Xpoe, Xitem, or whatever, do SOMETHING. Again, the effort may get a lot farther than you think.

#4: Updates: Sometimes y'all have been good about this, but just continue to keep us informed when you know things will be fixed, or whatever. Or give us alternatives. Post saying Xocean is working when Yocean is down, or link us up on forums to other OOO games if you can't fix even one ocean right away. Give us something as players, and we'll keep playing. Not all of us, but some will. And those players are customers, and will more likely stay customers.

Inb4 Section!
Inb4 oh they can't make chests appear, etc, etc: Yeah, but they can make poe appear. Hell, give us <example template: 100/200/400> poe for each chest onboard at the time of sinking, then double that. You'll make a lot of people happier. Something is better than nothing.

Inb4 oh we can't tell who was where: Yeah, but you can job 2-3 grandfrigs on each ocean, sail an island over, and drop X00k in the chest for those pirates when they get back on/are online after those type of situations. It won't be perfect, but it helps, and yeah, you'll have a couple people who cash in that don't deserve it, but in the grand scheme it's about reparation not cutting off the daft abusers.
----------------------------------------
Ye told Hera, "eggspammer."
Ye told Hera, "reported."
Hera tells ye, "<3"

Aurorakim tells ye, "you're my new hero"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Cartrunner at Jun 27, 2013 10:34:42 PM]
[Jun 27, 2013 10:33:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tredge

Re: Recompense Reply to this Post

<3
Tredge, Miridian (Viridian) of Shantaram!
Click for eargasm...
[Jun 27, 2013 11:10:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Perenoel1

It'd be great to get a X2 pillage output or something for a while. Something to make up time and poe to the people who play through the connection issues, AND something that might help generate an environment to keep new players at the same time.
Tzz Made of Fail on Midnight
Tzz's Ultimate puzzle Guide
[Jun 28, 2013 3:12:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

EDIT: Thank you for the broadcast Aphrodite! :D

#1: Players need to be aware: When there's issues like this going on, even once, be honest about it. If you can give a log-in message about a reboot, I guarantee you can set one up to say "hey we've had issues avoid big-expense/big time-expense choices such as sinking encounters, high wagers in poker, other puzzles, etc. Even the pillagers would appreciate not having their time wasted when they DC and some vulture brigands snag the 5 KBs they've been hoarding.

#2: Apology: Look, most players don't expect perfection. A hey, look sorry this is going on in Hear Ye: Announcements or somewhere on game would be swell, rather than just to those who run into issues. Believe me, it won't fix every mad pirate's feelings, but it'll calm a lot more than just pretending everything's peachy. Even if it's something your staff can't fix, or can't fix immediately, don't play dumb. Most of us will respect the game a lot more if you can be a little humble with us. Maybe more than 3 of the iPad players will stick around then, and the game will slow its decline.

I agree with what is said here. A little bit of communication goes a long way!

It'd be great to get a X2 pillage output or something for a while. Something to make up time and poe to the people who play through the connection issues, AND something that might help generate an environment to keep new players at the same time.

This would also be wonderful as a "payback". And it should make it easier on you all not having to check every log an pay each individual.

Do an ocean broadcast giving a link to the forums stating you all know there are issues and due those issues this is what we will be doing about them.

Over the years the responses from OOO has declined greatly. You all know how much we love to see one of you all respond to a post or known issue! :)
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by TexasBeesh at Jun 28, 2013 7:56:42 AM]
[Jun 28, 2013 6:39:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Preciousjewl

Copied from Emerald parley...

It's not the servers, it's our ISP that's having a problem. The ISP folks are working on fixing it.

You know, this ISP blame thing is all well and good but...
it is you - OOO that could compensate, if you chose to.
it is you - OOO - that is choosing NOT to compensate us for our time.
it is you - OOO - that chose the ISP.
Take responsibility.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is not good enough to just focus on fixing the lag problem.
You also need to keep the customers happy.
When fixed you need to analyse the problem so it doesn't occur again.

1. Re fixing the lag problem.
Ensure your ISP is treating this as urgently as you wish them to. If there is a penalty clause in your contract - tell them you will be using it. Ensure your ISP understands that you will be seeking compensation for each hour's lag. Ask to speak to your ISP contact's boss. Keep a log of everyone you speak to and what they have said. Send them the log so everyone knows it is being kept.
Shop around and get quotes from other ISPs.
This is a reoccurring problem. Demand to know exactly why this re occurred and how they can guarantee it will be fixed once and for all.
Enclose/enforce a severe penalty clause in your contract.

2. Keeping your customers happy
Ensure they know of this problem - put it in news or in message as per reboot. An OM message unless they are doing ir regularly (every 15 mins) is not good enough.
Encourage customers not to do high-risk ventures while this is being investigated.
Run some other events to keep people's interest - ?,short competitions...
Investigate the possibilites of using reboot to automatically port ships as soon as there is a lag spike.
If lag tell peeps to stay in their jobbing crew, take them out on a gf and divvy 500k.
Be overly generous.

3. When the problem is fixed, thank people for putting up with it.
Analyse why this lag reoccurred and put in place steps to assure this does not occur again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with everything that cartrunner said (copied below with some of my own bolding) and thank him for taking the time to put it down so well.

I am just off my 3rd smh sink in 3 days (sigh). Tonight Fin had won multiple cits when the lag spike occurred, 3/4 of the ship dced including the bnaver and the maa. What interested me was there was a gap in the middle after the lag spike when we hadn't sunk. Surely it is possible after a lag spike to do a reboot. Ships would be auto-ported and divvied and we
all wouldn't be so bitter and incredibly, incredibly, incredibly, incredibly annoyed at the utter waste of hours tonight.

I'll expect that OOO will be doing some kind of service redemption to the multiple players whose time were wasted on runs that sunk, even if the investing pirate was refunded, perhaps with some multiple booty whatever weekend or some such upcoming.

I personally, am kinda tired of the "RAHRAH IT'S OUR ISP WE CAN'T FIX IT OMG SORRY" card, even if you rebuild my frig. I play this game for my own fun, and wasting Xhours loading, only to waste Xhours of multiple other people's time when your crap breaks, is pathetic.

Honestly, I'm kinda at the point in my career of playing where I'm going to go hunting player ships and bounty everything big going out to further kill the game if there's not some kind of recompense. As someone who's been on the end that gets time-screwed over and over, and can post more than a handful of "sunken ship due to lagouts, mass-dcs, server crashes, etc, etc," I've always kind of shut up once I was sorted out, but it's getting ridiculous.

Here's some changes, which I'll be reposting in Game Design as well. Feel free to +1 my post I've linked to there to get support and get some improvement on this stuff. You don't have to like me or what I do on the game, but do it for the player community as a whole. We all have a small voice, let's use it for good.

#3: Recompense: As soon as OOO knows of issues on their end, we shouldn't be sending multiple tells, petitions, etc, etc to just get back what they lost, never mind GAINING something for their time input. Declare a time period of extra payouts, give everyone Xpoe, Xitem, or whatever, do SOMETHING. Again, the effort may get a lot farther than you think.

#4: Updates: Sometimes y'all have been good about this, but just continue to keep us informed when you know things will be fixed, or whatever. Or give us alternatives. Post saying Xocean is working when Yocean is down, or link us up on forums to other OOO games if you can't fix even one ocean right away. Give us something as players, and we'll keep playing. Not all of us, but some will. And those players are customers, and will more likely stay customers.

Inb4 Section!
Inb4 oh they can't make chests appear, etc, etc: Yeah, but they can make poe appear. Hell, give us <example template: 100/200/400> poe for each chest onboard at the time of sinking, then double that. You'll make a lot of people happier. Something is better than nothing.

Inb4 oh we can't tell who was where: Yeah, but you can job 2-3 grandfrigs on each ocean, sail an island over, and drop X00k in the chest for those pirates when they get back on/are online after those type of situations. It won't be perfect, but it helps, and yeah, you'll have a couple people who cash in that don't deserve it, but in the grand scheme it's

Awesome Avatar by the Awesome Gamerfrk - Thanx Gamer :):):):)
[Jun 28, 2013 9:02:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stroma1

I'm going to copypasta my response to Eurydice's post in Emerald Parley, cause this plan should be gamewide, and I'd advocate for other players to go class-action on this. I'll also follow this post with some replies to counter-arguments against my ideas. I've been around here long enough to know past some of the oh but you can't this or that, and I'm kind of over the time-waste.

Eurydice wrote: 

Here's some constructive ideas. Feel free to +1 my post or any part of it to get support and get some improvement on this stuff. You don't have to like me or what I do on the game, but do it for the player community as a whole. We all have a small voice, let's use it for good.

Inb4 Section!

Inb4 oh we can't tell who was where: Yeah, but you can job 2-3 grandfrigs on each ocean, sail an island over, and drop X00k in the chest for those pirates when they get back on/are online after those type of situations. It won't be perfect, but it helps, and yeah, you'll have a couple people who cash in that don't deserve it, but in the grand scheme it's about reparation not cutting off the daft abusers.

>expecting OOO to do actual work
forum banned
"I do not wish to give the mistaken impression that this is open for discussion." - prometheus
Stroma found Gold Nuggets while foraging but couldn't fit it in the vessel's hold!
[Jun 28, 2013 1:15:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ellopoppet

Please let your ISP know they have failed. Waited a hour and a half to go on a SMH only to have us lag out again during it. Really, I am not playing to stay long but this ruins it while I am here.

Case and point

says,"67 ug"
says, "nah you need 75 epecially with the lag"

Sad that this is the case, also the forums threw up on itself 3 times before I was able to post this.

Edit, We hauled one chest tonight and left due to lag, here is the mood on the ship.
m says, "Impossible to make any money in this game when the servers are this barnacle."
s says, "agree"
t says, "sadly"
h says, "we sunk the otherday cant be asked to sink for now reason too"
m says, "The OM's are pretty good about giving back sunken ships due to lag, but still, it's not good enough."
m says, "When they claim to fix something, and don't fix it. After 3 hours of downtime?"
a says, "They don't give the jobbers anything for it"
~Athens~ Hunter

Want to know who makes my avatars?
[Edit 3 times, last edit by ellopoppet at Jun 28, 2013 7:50:27 PM]
[Jun 28, 2013 7:29:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

Honestly, I do not think this is OOO's fault. Also they let people know the server would be down. Sometimes hiccups happen and you just have to roll with it. I do appreciate the broadcast and letting us know the servers would be down longer than expected (facebook).
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[Jun 28, 2013 8:21:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arryotter1

A hiccup is when something doesn't happen for the same reason on multiple occasions over multiple periods of time.
[Jun 28, 2013 8:47:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mari_

Considering since the ISP "fix" the game is still suffering from the same problems and people can't maintain a connection for any length of time, it would be good if OOO did considering something for ALL its players.

Thank you.
Calamarie - now also in Obsidian flavour!
Dignity - Emerald

"Always remember... Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots."

The Shadow is in my very core ;)
[Jun 29, 2013 12:23:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
altheacat

Copy pasted from Emerald parley, where the thread's been locked and we're being redirected to here ... OOO's way of burying bad news? And downtime to "fix the problem" is all well and good but is not compensation, is it!

Yes by all means do compensate pirates who've sunk/lost battles. And how about days' worth of badges wasted?

We are paying customers, yes, even those who play-for-free, they keep the economy going, buying ships, weapons, clothes etc...

But I would also suggest we get extra days on our badges on the merchant side. We maintain full reserve labour in our shoppes, yet customers can't order or buy. So we waste labour badges. Still the game happily deducts days from our badges and we still have to pay rent (100% taxes on Admiral anyone?). Any suggestions from OOO how they could help?

Noushka still of Sage

SO of Privateers
Lady of the Black Flag
[Edit 1 times, last edit by altheacat at Jun 29, 2013 1:00:22 AM]
[Jun 29, 2013 12:59:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
icelord161

Cartrunner wrote: 
Inb4 Section! Inb4 oh they can't make chests appear, etc, etc: Yeah, but they can make poe appear. Hell, give us <example template: 100/200/400> poe for each chest onboard at the time of sinking, then double that. You'll make a lot of people happier. Something is better than nothing.

I've heard the same excuse about not being able to spawn chests, however, they actually can, during the OM atlantis trip a few months ago, they spawned 1000ACs on the Cerulean run at the end of the run. #busted
-Zarchi
-King of Universe A
[Jun 29, 2013 1:32:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gybrush7

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=193325

Prometheus says:

Carry on!

- Pro

Maybe I am reading too much int o this, but that is one of the most patronising posts I've ever seen a OOO employee write.

"Keep moaning about us, but move it to a single thread so we look less bad, and so all of us OOO employees can laugh at you easier"
Gybrush - Emerald
Senior Officer of 'Thieves of the Night'
Member of the flag 'When The Stars Align'.

PIRATING ERROR #256: X does not mark the spot.
[Jun 29, 2013 2:05:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

You are /not/ entitled to any compensation because it was not OOO's fault. You are /not/ entitled to a compensation because you were inconvenienced.

This "getting things for free because it didn't go my way" thing really bugs me. There was issues with the ISP. That's not something that can be easily prevented because realistically, OOO can't prevent it.

Should OOO decide to compensate any of you for this inconvenience, be clear that it's because they have amazing customer service and they care about their playerbase, and even if they do not provide any compensation, over time, they've shown customer service that goes beyond my expectations.

You are not entitled to anything more than what you paid for. If you paid for nothing, then anything you receive you should be thankful for, even if it's just an apology.
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Jun 29, 2013 2:55:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

No way, Quitex. My life has been ruined by lag. It's like staring into the deep black abyss of my soul. Oh, woe. Oh, pity. Oh, the humanity. I demand free stuff. And money.

Ooo, and add Sonic the Hedgehog to the game. He could be a BK.
[Jun 29, 2013 4:06:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Realjuan

I really dont care too much about poe or items in the game, they come along too easy. I always been critical about this game, because I think it could be one of the best games atm. Sadly as long as some people are getting milked every new color update, there is no incentive to do any real improvement.

Still for me its paradox that they gave away IPads. A game that has no REAL development, the main community events are competitions, draw me a picture or write me a story, is a sinking ship. Why would they waste money giving away IPads, because if they really wanted to do something for the community then 2-3 IPads worth to pay a developer would had been better.

Any decent server/ISP should be able to manage max 1.2 players connecting to a 1990's/early 2000's technology game.

About the community managers, I have interacted a few times with some of them.... I couldnt have a worst impression. I do HOPE that it was just one of their bad days, or I go the wrong OMs. I dont blame them, working for a sinking ship must be depressing.
Latinboy
"Ten cuidado con el pirate del caribe, vamo' a ve' si tu tienes calibre" Daddy Yankee

"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Realjuan at Jun 29, 2013 4:29:08 AM]
[Jun 29, 2013 4:26:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arryotter1

There was issues with the ISP. That's not something that can be easily prevented because realistically, OOO can't prevent it.

It actually is their fault if they choose an ISP that can't handle the whopping 800 players on the game at the same time. Furthermore, this isn't the first time this has happened; it has happened multiple occasions over multiple different periods of time. This isn't a single "hey guys, something went screwy"; it is a known problem that hasn't been resolved.

Really though, the dissatisfaction with the recent isp issues seem to be less than solely focused on the isp and more about the isp issues symbolizing issues that have been going on with ooo for quite a while.
[Jun 29, 2013 4:31:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

You are /not/ entitled to any compensation because it was not OOO's fault.

Bull

OOO has *chosen* to use the same crappy ISP that has caused many previous problems. OK, maybe 4 years ago, OOO could skate by on "oh, they are working on it", but by now, OOO is just being dumb.

You are /not/ entitled to a compensation because you were inconvenienced.

Bull

When you pay for something and don't get it, you have every right to complain.

This level of service may be acceptable to you, that's fine, but the key question is: "Is the amount of money OOO is saving by having this crappy ISP more than the amount they are losing by people leaving?"
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Jun 29, 2013 4:40:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arryotter1

"Is the amount of money OOO is saving by having this crappy ISP more than the amount they are losing by people leaving?"

Honestly, probably. It isn't a secret that OOO shifted away from being geared towards community oriented players (i.e. those that post on forums, maintain the wiki, run meetups, etc.) and opted for the casual "buy a new purple sloop and orange elephant" type that probably don't care a whole lot. The people on the forums probably don't factor into the profit lines very much.
[Jun 29, 2013 4:55:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Prometheus says:

Carry on!

- Pro

Maybe I am reading too much int o this, but that is one of the most patronising posts I've ever seen a OOO employee write.

I read it as "We're not going to shut down the complaints forcibly, but double posting is against forum rules, so why don't you move this to the place where it belongs."

A bad way of saying it, but that's what I got.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Jun 29, 2013 5:43:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

You are /not/ entitled to a compensation because you were inconvenienced.

Bull

When you pay for something and don't get it, you have every right to complain.

You're both right. Having been on the other side of the customer service desk (a metaphorical desk for me, but nonetheless...) for the last 20 years, I can say that there's a world of difference between "I had a problem with your equipment, can you do something about it" and "Your F____g stuff is broke, YOU OWE ME!*". Replacing subscription days and badge days (plus sunk ships) seems appropriate, if possible. Trying to track down every single antediluvian chest that got resunk seems excessive.

* There's not only a difference in how the complaint is given, but unsurprisingly, there's often a difference in the level of customer service given in return, based on how the problem is presented.
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Jun 29, 2013 5:50:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Preciousjewl

While this reoccurring lag problem is being investigated by the isp, I suggest OOO look into a workaround to prevent the bulk of customer complaints.

Investigate having an OM initiate a reboot after a serious lag spike.

That way ships would be autoported and automatically divied.
The smh ships I have been on that sunk took a few minutes after the lag spike to sink. An immediate or even a 2 minute warning reboot would have saved them.

After a lag spike, the majority of pepole get dced anyway, a reboot would do this in a controlled manner.

I believe this would remove the bulk of customer complaints regarding recompense.

PJ

PS. I am not suggesting this would remove complaints about lag itself.
Awesome Avatar by the Awesome Gamerfrk - Thanx Gamer :):):):)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Preciousjewl at Jun 29, 2013 8:28:03 AM]
[Jun 29, 2013 8:27:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dwizzles

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=193325

Prometheus says:

Carry on!

- Pro

"Keep moaning about us, but move it to a single thread so we look less bad, and so all of us OOO employees can laugh at you easier"

You're reading into it way too much. He just moved a thread into a place where all 3 oceans can see and discuss, instead of only Emerald.
-Dwizzles
Captain of Skeletons
King of Illuminatti
[Jun 29, 2013 8:37:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cartrunner

Actually, it was moved out of GD, which is global as well. Instead of a productive idea forum, it was thrown into "talk it out"

I do like PJ's idea about the 2 minute reboot. That's very true that most navvers/whatever can save their ships for 2 minutes or so to get to port. Honestly, if you can't last that long, you were probably meant to sink anyway.

Edit:
To Quitex: So what you're saying is, everything is A-ok. You're satisfied with your customer experience?

If yes, shut up.
If no, shut up or bump my OP.
If you're going to grade this subject on a personal satisfaction basis, then do so. Your post jumped from side to side mate. Can't always have both.
Hera tells ye, "<3"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Cartrunner at Jun 30, 2013 12:43:21 AM]
[Jun 30, 2013 12:41:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brianjd

My two cents Reply to this Post

I'll make this quick and easy to read:

1. I think they moved it here so they can consolidate all players ideas into one thread so that they can go over the ideas and see what is possible and what isn't

2. I do agree that autoporting ships would be a HUGE HELP even in blockades (my flag won a round of a blockade because the ocean D/Ced and we D/Ced on points and we got all of the points during the disconnect period) But I think it should be a judgement call by the OMs/Devs when the lag spike occurs, depending on how bad it is, whether to reach for the reboot button or not

2. Even if things like spawning chests aren't possible (someone said they saw that they spawned like 1k ACs) these are things that can be made possible via developers, they can magick just about anything else, why not chests?

4. you probably didn't realize that I put 2. twice (don't hate on me for my bad joke)

5. Do not misconstrue what I'm saying to be OM bashing in anyway, I am a proud bonafide Ocean Master lover, just hate seeing the lag spikes

*6. I know that adding days to badge is a possibility, they did it way back when.. can't remember what for but they added 3 days to everyones badges, I had just bought badges so had shiny badges with over 30 days on them >:D

*was the edit
Atropos says, "Ha,I'm afraid I cannot accept your crabs, sorry."
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Brianjd at Jun 30, 2013 4:12:27 PM]
[Jun 30, 2013 4:09:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Re: My two cents Reply to this Post

2. I do agree that autoporting ships would be a HUGE HELP even in blockades (my flag won a round of a blockade because the ocean D/Ced and we D/Ced on points and we got all of the points during the disconnect period) But I think it should be a judgement call by the OMs/Devs when the lag spike occurs, depending on how bad it is, whether to reach for the reboot button or not

One of the problems with this idea is that, if the OMs do get an AUTOPORT button:
I wasn't having any lag, why did you hit the button?
All of Europe was having lag issues! What do you mean, no lag in North America?
Why weren't you faster to hit the button? We sunk anyway!
Why didn't you wait a minute and see if it would fix itself? Now we have to rejob all 75 people!
Why does autoport do it for pillages? It's not like the ship is going to sink, and you ruined a great pillage!
Why doesn't autoport do it for pillages? Now we're at full damage and bilge, and that ruined our pillage!
I lost this 1,000,000 PoE wager because you didn't hit the autoport fast enough!
I had an insta on the way before the lag started in this 1,000,000 PoE wager and it didn't land because you hit autoport too fast!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by xelto at Jun 30, 2013 4:34:22 PM]
[Jun 30, 2013 4:32:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brianjd

I do see what you mean, and there could be some issues with that, but there are always issues, right now it's I lost 2 mill on my wager because of the lag, refund me! if they put in the change it'll be I was going to win! pay me! There is no winning situation when it comes to lag unless you get lucky, but I just thought of another way of fixing this...

I have seen other games do this when lag becomes an issue, or if there was a widespread use of hacks to obtain items, etc etc, they will "rollback" the game/players depending on the situation, if someone was caught hacking items into the game or doing stuff that isn't legit to get their levels up, they would rollback the player, in the case of I believe it was severe server lag and a lot of players died and lost stuff, they rolled back EVERYTHING like 30 minutes

Solution*: put in a rollback system to rollback wagers/items in the event of lag, obviously you can't make it so that players will log in on the ship that was inside of an Atlantis at the time of the disconnect (or can you, I know that after like 8 minutes of D/C you log-out and re-log on an island, but maybe you can do something for lag) anyways, just a suggestion, put-in rollbacks :3 that should fix the complaining of wager issues, and as for the issue of: "I would've won, pay me!" Get over it, if you're dumb enough to wager 2 mill on a puzzle, you're dumb enough to do it again, just ask the person for a rematch ^_^

*this was the TL;DR until I went on typing, and typing, and typing, and it was almost as long as the original post
Atropos says, "Ha,I'm afraid I cannot accept your crabs, sorry."
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Brianjd at Jul 1, 2013 9:34:30 AM]
[Jun 30, 2013 5:01:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cartrunner

I do see what you mean, and there could be some issues with that, but there are always issues, right now it's I lost 2 mill on my wager because of the lag, refund me! if they put in the change it'll be I was going to win! pay me! There is no winning situation when it comes to lag unless you get lucky, but I just thought of another way of fixing this...

I have seen other games do this when lag becomes an issue, or if there was a widespread use of hacks to obtain items, etc etc, they will "rollback" the game/players depending on the situation, if someone was caught hacking items into the game or doing stuff that isn't legit to get their levels up, they would rollback the player, in the case of I believe it was severe server lag and a lot of players died and lost stuff, they rolled back EVERYTHING like 30 minutes

Solution*: put in a rollback system to rollback wagers/items in the event of lag, obviously you can't make it so that players will log in on the ship that was inside of an Atlantis at the time of the disconnect (or can you, I know that after like 8 minutes of D/C you log-out and re-log on an island, but maybe you can do something for lag) anyways, just a suggestion, put-in rollbacks :3 that should fix the complaining of wager issues, and as for the issue of: "I would've won, pay me!" Get over it, if you're dumb enough to wager 2 mill on a puzzle, you're dumb enough to do it again, just ask the person for a rematch ^_^

*this was the TL;DR until I went on typing, and typing, and typing, and it was almost as long as the original post

Agreed. I run voyages all the time, and as annoying as release reboots and other reboots have been, I'm not irritated to save the effort of petitioning and/or replacing a ship. I'd much rather have them flash the button trying to help than sit there like a lump, even if I lose a ship or two that the button gets pushed to late.

As for the wagers, people will wager down to the last seconds of reboots no matter what. Let them whine. If they're good and deserved to win they'll be winning it back later either way. If not, then they'll be losing it later anyway. Life goes on.

The purpose Gurn, and other dissenters, is to prevent timewaste. Wagering 2m on any puzzle is going to be a short-term loss. Losing 4 hours of a voyage is far from comparable, even if the poe value isn't seen. It's more about the time than the money here.

As for having to rejob 75 people, you don't have to unless you're going to continue the run. And personally, it's faster reloading immediately after reboots because of the login rush to the notice board anyway. Derp.

As for ruining a great pillage, they can rejob the same people and go back out immediately after the reboot. Won't affect much. Boohoo.
Hera tells ye, "<3"

[Jul 1, 2013 8:06:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
altheacat

Just a note to say : thank you, the problem seems 'fixed' for now anyway. We even had 1400+ online for the kades on Sunday and the only sinks were intentional!
Noushka still of Sage

SO of Privateers
Lady of the Black Flag
[Jul 2, 2013 10:19:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CrustyBoyLin

I would like to add a little light hearted note to this thread...when I was suffering lag issues on puzzle pirates I was blaming MY server I wrote down all the times etc. of D/Cs et al on some occasions it was like every 5 minutes, many pillys I was jobbing on had to be abandoned and yes I was on well customized and personalized Xbec's and WGs et al when they were sunk after hours of waiting for those sinking smh missions to start, ( 2 in one day Inc. my lil'ol'sloop, which has sunk so far 3 times LOL and is now part of my crew's submarine fleet..) anyway I in turn ended up complaining to my network provider they did every test under the sun...no joy....they then got an engineer out who replaced my phone sockets, line-in and various other bits they even upgraded my wireless router still no real joy... I complained again they did more tests at the terminals etc. then all this then came to light, I now realise that after all that it wasn't MY connection that was the cause of all my strife and frustration ( especially when I started to see other players go for the D/C ride..) although the lag still exists which at times puts me on the wary alert its not as bad as it was, the plus side though is that thanks to OOO my general telecommunication/server connection state has been nicely upgraded, so thanks OOO, all you guys need to do now is fix any remaining issues that are alas still marring the game, as for recompense well anything will be gratefully excepted as a token that my hard earned Pounds/dollars haven't been completely wasted.
Anyway lets hope for better days ahead.
I'm only wearing Black until they invent something darker.
[Jul 2, 2013 11:23:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    fulcher466 [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 46   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates