• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 19
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1504 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
edward12321

Behind the Thread [Winners Announced] Reply to this Post

Winners!

*Banner not by Diastole

You are more than welcome to use my character as a theme for the event

Well then!

Clotho is the youngest of the Three Fates. She spins the threads for human life.
Your task is to write a fictional backstory of how our Ocean Master, Clotho became what she is today (Some Example Ideas : She went on a quest. She was a really good person. ETC.)

One Snip Cuts Your Thread of Life (Rules) :
-At the top of your entry, you should state your pirate and ocean so we know who to hand out prizes to.
-Your backstory should be based on the Greek god, Clotho (Such as her tasks as a Greek god) and should connect with our Ocean Master, Clotho.
-Your short story may only contain a maximum of 1000 words (and will be determined by http://www.wordcounter.net/)
*Titles will not be counted toward word count

All entries must be posted here :
Entry Thread

The Hand of Fate (Judging) :
-Creativity
-Originality
-Connections to the Greek God, Clotho (Will be based on this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clotho)
-Flow in story (Does it make sense?)
-Grammar and spelling

Clotho's Gift of Life (Prizes) :
1st Place : Plain War Brig renamed to "Ticklish Tinselfish" + Fancy White/White Ribbon
2nd Place : Red/White Cleaver + Fancy White/White Ribbon
3rd Place : Glided Display Case + Fancy White/White Ribbon
Participation : White Ribbons
*White Ribbons will be inscribed

Deadline : 11:59 PM (Game Time), June 30th, 2013.
----------------------------------------
Dalphin on Meridian
Swerve on Jade
Swerve on Opal

You can host as many as you want!
Have a great day :)
-CLotho

Event Run Count : 6
[Edit 8 times, last edit by edward12321 at Jul 15, 2013 10:15:55 PM]
[Jun 16, 2013 11:04:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
edward12321

Re: Behind the Thread Reply to this Post

This post will be left for any FAQ questions coming in.

1. Does it need to include any other Greek Gods besides Clotho?
Nope! Just a back story about Clotho is fine, but of course, you can always consider including in other Greek Gods/Ocean masters. Atropos, being her sister, you may be able to tie her into your story. It's all your decision!

Rule Change :

Unfortunately, the original word counter we chose to use to judge length has shut down. We will now be referring the length of your story to : http://www.wordcounter.net/

Dalphin on Meridian
Swerve on Jade
Swerve on Opal

-CLotho

[Edit 2 times, last edit by edward12321 at Jun 26, 2013 9:52:57 AM]
[Jun 16, 2013 11:06:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phamy

Re: Behind the Thread [Deadline : June 30th] Reply to this Post

I entered mine... Its so hard to write a small story. I had to delete over 500 words... I hope you still like it!
[Jun 27, 2013 4:40:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
edward12321

I entered mine... Its so hard to write a small story. I had to delete over 500 words... I hope you still like it!

Oh, for sure!

I know how much I want to extend in detail (especially) when there's limits!

I can't wait to read it when the entry thread closes. :)
Dalphin on Meridian
Swerve on Jade
Swerve on Opal

-CLotho

[Jun 27, 2013 12:04:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
thylawrence2

I wholeheartedly agree!
All about Tothemoonn! of the Emerald Ocean

Artistic rendition of my face and upper body by the superbly skilled Xioch!
[Jun 30, 2013 3:06:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

Can I just say that I started one but forgot to finish?
because this was a cute event and deserved way more entrie
s
Wayfarer of Meridian, formerly Malachite.
Wuppypuppy of Cerulean :)
I make avatars.
[Jul 3, 2013 7:32:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
edward12321

Can I just say that I started one but forgot to finish?
because this was a cute event and deserved way more entrie
s

Ooh, seems like Bunnylaroo's event had me beat by a long shot!
I didn't think a Renamed War Brig as a first prize was too bad! o:

I'm sorry you didn't finish in time though! Maybe you can go for my next event? :)
Dalphin on Meridian
Swerve on Jade
Swerve on Opal

-CLotho

[Jul 4, 2013 1:07:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

A renamed war brig is a nice prize, but perhaps you should look in the event forums before you post. When you posted this event there were following events that had a writing part already going on:

Poems
Comics
Story with photo
+ 2 more art events (one was yours)

Had you just waited with your event for a time where there aren't posted many at the same time you definitely would have gotten more entries without changing anything.
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Jul 4, 2013 4:49:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

A renamed war brig is a nice prize, but perhaps you should look in the event forums before you post. When you posted this event there were following events that had a writing part already going on:

Poems
Comics
Story with photo

Had you just waited with your event for a time where there aren't posted many at the same time you definitely would have gotten more entries without changing anything.

Very true.
Did you do any self-promoting in game? Just wondering.
DEXLA LOUISA MIDNIGHT on Cerulean
[Jul 4, 2013 9:03:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
edward12321

Poems
Comics
Story with photo

Very true.
Did you do any self-promoting in game? Just wondering.

Because it is recommended to email your proposal 2 weeks prior to actually running the event (when you're requesting OM assistance such as prize delivery), a lot of these events were not posted the time of my full proposal. I decided to continue the event after seeing Bunnylaroo's and Apollo's events, but there seems to have been a sudden turn in the amount of events with the comic event, as well as Mcimp's art event. Both the comic event and the art event were posted very recently behind this event. Though, you're correct when you say I should've reconsidered pushing the event back a bit even though everything was already set up.

Also, yes, I did do some self-promoting in game. I had one friend who was actually quite content in joining the event. Though, it seems he didn't enter into the contest.
Dalphin on Meridian
Swerve on Jade
Swerve on Opal

-CLotho

[Jul 4, 2013 9:51:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

I'm sorry if you feel that my event impeded the number of entries to yours. In a perfect world, everyone would have time to enter all events; sadly, that isn't the case. This shouldn't be taken as a reflection on the quality of the event or the prizes. I personally think the current events traffic jam is better than an event drought, although it does make finding time to participate tricky.

For my part, I intended to enter this event, but mixed up the deadline for this event and the deadline for McImp's. I was foiled by the 2 week deadline and assumed that it would run for at least four.

I hope to see more writing events from you in the future!
Bunnylaroo of Sage Emerald

[Jul 4, 2013 10:02:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Nope, both Swan Lake and Reveal the secret were posted before your event (4 days and 1 day) and if I wasn't required to be finished before Comic Con with my event I had it postponed till there are less events.
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Jul 4, 2013 11:34:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
edward12321

Nope, both Swan Lake and Reveal the secret were posted before your event (4 days and 1 day) and if I wasn't required to be finished before Comic Con with my event I had it postponed till there are less events.

I stated the same statistics in my previous post. What I don't think you understand is that when you request for oceanmaster assistance, you email them at least two weeks prior to the planned event run time. Which of course, the other events running currently were not posted at the time when I was organizing my writing event. As stated earlier, I decided to continue to run the event after seeing the other events, which would be Bunnylaroo's and Apollo's at the time. Not the comic event or art event (which wasn't posted at the time).

I don't understand why you're giving me such negative feedback about my event when I'm also going out of the way to run something fun for people to participate in. Not to mention of course, giving up belongings to offer as prizes for the event.

Having little participants not only gives a higher chance for entries to win, but it also saves the judges a lot of time as well.

Finally, I don't think you should feel like your event should be "required", as you stated, to finish before a real life event starts. A perfect example would be "Mother Knows Best", which actually started the day of Mother's day and finished weeks after Mother's day passed. But of course, if you feel that lack of participation or "event traffic" is such a concern, then please feel free to postpone or move your events. :)
Dalphin on Meridian
Swerve on Jade
Swerve on Opal

-CLotho

[Jul 5, 2013 1:08:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hmkanj

I don't understand why even bother talking about statistics and stuff. What I think is that it is the freedom of each pirate to join or not join an event. It takes time and effort to come up with great ideas. Some people prefer not to post at all than to post something half-baked or not within their 'feel.'
I really like writing events and I think a lot wanted to join, it's just they didn't get the idea on time.
You would never really know why some didn't join in the first place. (I wanted to join the dress a pet event but didn't have a pet! Well, just saying...)

Thanks for the wonderful event!
I greatly appreciate these things because in real life, you don't really get to write things to win something. It is very rare that you even get paid (even a consolation prize) for writing something unless it's your job! Overall, I don't think its the prizes or timing with other events. To me, it's a matter of ideas flowing and an artist/writer's feelings.
<3
Pillowaddict from Emerald Ocean
[Jul 5, 2013 3:56:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phamy

I am really hoping you will judge this soon! I loved all the stories!!!
[Jul 14, 2013 4:36:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
edward12321

Results are in! Reply to this Post

The judges thank you for your patience, each story was extremely well done and it was very hard for us to decide a clear winner. After the long hours here they are:

Congratulations to Tothemoonn on fourth place! Your story “Threads of Fate” really got all of our judges shaking with laughter! Keep up the great work! Your originality shined through with this piece and your in-game approach kept us intrigued the whole story!
Due to the fact that there was only four participants and prizes for three storywriters, we'd like to award you with an Empty Gold Piggy Bank along with your inscribed trinket to show our appreciation for your writing! Don't want to single anyone out! Once again, great job!

Congratulations to Pillowaddict on third place! “Spinning of a Different Thread” was very in-depth and well informed which lead our unblinking eyes to your wonderful conclusion. Great job!

Congratulations to Phamy on second place! Your piece was filled with emotion and our judges believe you did “what is right” in your piece. Lovely read!

Finally, congratulations to Tilinka on first place! Your fresh take on the task really wowed our judges and your ability to go above and beyond the criteria, yet still staying true to the facts, was really impressive! Well deserved!

Thanks again for entertaining the judges and myself with your incredible writing and we hope to see you in future contests! Your prizes and inscribed trinkets will be delivered as soon as possible, and once again, a special thanks to Clotho for providing a rename for the ship, as well your trinkets!

I am really hoping you will judge this soon! I loved all the stories!!!

Woops! Once again, sorry for the wait.
Dalphin on Meridian
Swerve on Jade
Swerve on Opal

-CLotho

[Jul 15, 2013 10:13:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hmkanj

Re: Results are in! Reply to this Post

Woohoo! Just what I needed since I love collecting seasonal trinkets! Thanks for the contest and the display case! Nice job all!
Pillowaddict from Emerald Ocean
[Jul 16, 2013 2:39:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

Re: Results are in! Reply to this Post

Ooh! Thank you. :) I had a lot of fun with this contest. (I may have been cackling the entire time I was writing)
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Artsy Stuff
[Jul 16, 2013 3:23:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com    Tilinka    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
thylawrence2

Re: Behind the Thread [Winners Announced] Reply to this Post

Thanks! I enjoyed the contest and I'm glad you could all enjoy my writing as well =)
All about Tothemoonn! of the Emerald Ocean

Artistic rendition of my face and upper body by the superbly skilled Xioch!
[Jul 23, 2013 9:31:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates