• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 28
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4480 times and has 27 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background - The Great Outdoors Edition [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Ahoy again, everyone! It's portrait background time!

Winners

Theme:
Arr, it's summer! The perfect time for a pirate to spend some quality time outside, enjoying the cool breeze, sunshine and activities This is also a time when pirates take a well-deserved break after all the pillage and plunder of the previous months- visit a deserted island, drink coconut water, or enjoy a walk in a meadow, anything goes! There's no limitations on activity type, location, time of day, as long as it's happening in The Great Outdoors!

Submissions:
Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size. The preferred file format is .png
Entries must fit the appropriate scale.

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170
Expansive backgrounds: 2000 x 1275

Reworking entries:
To update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry. If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. We don't want anyone laboring on some amazing art that has to be ignored because of this.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.
You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.

Upload your images to the YPPedia, name the file according to the naming scheme listed there, and also post links to the thumbnails here in this thread, for comment. If you want your pirate name to appear rather than your account name should you win, please follow the image tag scheme below carefully.

Instructions for destination filename
The arrtists have requested a change to the naming of files uploaded to YPPedia for this contest. This naming scheme may not be the same as the general YPPedia file upload scheme, but we're hoping that it's distinctive enough that it won't cause undue confusion. Note that this is in addition to the requirements for the image tags.
Requested format for the filenames on YPPedia:
monthly_yourname_title_the_way_you_want_to_appear_in_game.png
All in lower-case and put underscores between all the separate words in the title

(YPPedia will change the first m into M - don't worry about this). So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Clotho's Tangled Threads, I would use:
monthly_clotho_tangled_threads.png

Instructions for tags in the summary field
The tag for this contest is "jul13contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload, then, should be:
{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|Portrait Title}}
where
"contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag shown below, "accountname" is replaced by your own forum name
"creditname" is replaced by either your forum name again, or your pirate name, whichever you want credited with the background
"Portrait Title" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background

e.g. {{jul13contest|Clotho|Spinner|Loom}}
or {{jul13contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|Spindle}}

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice.
e.g. {{jul13contest|Clotho|Clotho|Tangled Threads}}

Judging:
Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors.

The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the arrrtists and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if the background didn't win, it can be submitted for future contests as long as it fits the theme within each contest. Go ahead and enter past entries if you wish, however, you shouldn't submit crops of past backgrounds that have already had a win and have been seen in game before.

Prizes:
A winning entry will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds, usually for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it is available. Each winning entrant will also receive a Puzzle Pirates real-life item and a pack of playing cards in the mail, a free copy of his/her portrait in-game, choice of Bluebeard, Fishheadred or Greenbones egg or doll, and a clothing item of her choice in the color(s) of her choice.

The clothing item can be any item that can be ordered from a tailoring shoppe without needing a design or reputation. In the event of the same artist winning multiple prizes or multiple months, an additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the artist does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.

Deadline:
July 15th 2013, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions:
-- Make it look like it came right out of the game.
--Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure.
--Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art.
--Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use.
--Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.
--A very small signature in the lower right corner is acceptable.
--In general avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.
--Pay close attention to your composition - the composition of backgrounds related to pirate placement is a major consideration and sometimes otherwise good backgrounds are eliminated because the nicest elements are blocked by the pirates once they are in frame.

Other suggestions and links:
Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!
----------------------------------------

Hilando las hebras de la vida pirata...
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Clotho at Jul 22, 2013 11:31:01 AM]

[Jun 16, 2013 10:48:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scheherazade

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - The Great Outdoors Edition [Deadline: July 15th] Reply to this Post

Here is mine so far. Having trouble drawing a tree. That thing on the right is supposed to be a tree.
Emerald: Controversy, formerly known as Cholera.

Captain of Disorderly House and Princess of Agree to Disagree.
[Jun 18, 2013 9:55:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scheherazade

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - The Great Outdoors Edition [Deadline: July 15th] Reply to this Post

Okay, here is mine. Because it's in panels, I had no earthly idea of what to do with the covered portion, so I just used it to extend the snowy bit.

So, the theme is "climates around the world." You have a mountain climate, sand dunes in the desert, meadows and cliffs, and the tundra. (I was too chicken to try to draw a forest or jungle, after seeing what happened to that tree I tried to draw.) Also, I'm considering chopping them up for single-use backgrounds as well, but I wasn't sure if I should submit a giant background, 4 single-pirate versions of it, and then whatever else I want to submit.

Thoughts?

And another:

Thanks to the lovely Astray for letting me use his image for the example! :)

And one more... Is it clear that they're laying down? It looks a wee bit off with a pet (if the pet is on a pillow). Suggestions, anyone?

I know this one has a resemblance to one already out, but I've been drawing nav stars in skies for years and I'd love to at least give this one a chance! Thanks to Lunett for the example pirate!

[Edit 3 times, last edit by Scheherazade at Jun 22, 2013 8:41:20 PM]
[Jun 20, 2013 10:58:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Up in a hot air balloon, visiting Mount Olympus, behind a waterfall. Still deciding which should be one-, and which should be two-,pirate.

Thoughts?

Well, you can submit as many versions as you want, so you could do all different types.

Though, considering how much you'd have to chop off, or squish, or widen, to make each fit into single backgrounds, I'd just stick to the larger version. Plus, that one is cohesive and pretty together too. c:

The other three look great! For the laying down one, perhaps heavier shadows around objects? The shadows look too light and dissipated to have objects resting directly ontop of them.
Cattrin of Midnight Cerulean (and sometimes Viridian Meridian)
Avatar by Apollo, Wiske, Shawe, Blakbead, Daeva, Bunnylaroo and Musicologist!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Jun 24, 2013 5:03:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scheherazade

Thank you so much for the critique! By the way, I LOVE your hot air balloon one! Mt. Olympus is adorable, too--I give that one my vote for "multiple person." I mean, why not make it a giant one for 5 - 7 pirates? That way crews can pose their pirates like they're taking over Mt. Olympus. :P

[Jun 24, 2013 11:44:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scheherazade

I can't think of a title for this! Anybody feel like helping?

[Jun 24, 2013 9:41:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

Beastly swarm? Or something?

Deadly escape?
Bisca - Emerald Ocean

Avvy by: Verziga
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Taskbeta at Jun 25, 2013 9:51:38 AM]
[Jun 25, 2013 9:50:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

How about "Dolittle's Doom"...? ;-)

Franklin
Franklin W. Cain (Pirate FranklinCain on Meridian and other Oceans)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Franklincain at Jun 25, 2013 9:59:40 AM]
[Jun 25, 2013 9:59:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Distructible

@Scheherazade: Your artwork is amazing! I really want a portrait with the duty navigation stars.
Masters on Emerald.
[Jun 25, 2013 1:34:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phamy

I LOVE your art Sche! And Don't we all love Stained Glass?

I still have to think of something :P
[Jun 27, 2013 5:00:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scheherazade

Phamy, Masters, thanks so much! I really appreciate it! Here is the newest one... Some kind of jungle/lagoon thing? xD I really liked doing it. Might do one or two more. This is sooo fun, the most I've had in ages.

Many thanks to Sizzly for letting me use her pirate for the example. ^^

[Jul 4, 2013 7:21:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

I'll have this done for tomorrow!

Not sure about any other ideas I sketched though. College shopping really eats up time. Where did the month go?

[Jul 14, 2013 5:56:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

I promise the day i get better, ill enter one of these again x) but im loving everything everyone's done so far :o
Yumisa World Wide ;)
Your Favourite Cookie Monster <3

[Seasonal Avatars ~ The Comeback! ]
[Jul 14, 2013 6:19:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scheherazade

That's so cute! I was looking forward to seeing that. Next, do a massive Mt. Olympus one, please! I'll use it for a crew portrait!

Also, colleges? Come to college with me, we can sit around making bad pirate puns in between Linguistic Anthro. and Globalization...

[Jul 14, 2013 6:19:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vireyda

Cattrin! Love the hot air balloon! I love balloons in general though - planning on getting one of my own one day! :)

Can't wait to see it when it's done and desperately hoping if ends up in the game!
Vireyda
Midnight Cerulean
SO of Phire Phoenix

KP PIMPED my Avvie!
[Jul 14, 2013 8:09:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Okay, I think I'm going to go eat breakfast now...at 3 pm. Yeah.

Also, colleges? Come to college with me, we can sit around making bad pirate puns in between Linguistic Anthro. and Globalization...

Haha, love to! But I'm shopping for stuff, not actual colleges. Already promised my next four years to RPI.

[Edit 3 times, last edit by cattrin at Jul 15, 2013 11:40:13 AM]
[Jul 15, 2013 7:32:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

Haha, love to! But I'm shopping for stuff, not actual colleges. Already promised my next four years to RPI.

SHUT UP.
MY BROTHER'S GOING THERE.
THIS FALL.
Ohhh god you two will probably meet. :D
He thinks Puzzle Pirates is silly but you can prove him wrong.
Mend his ways, Cattrin. Then marry so we can be kind of related because I'd love to be kind of related to a talent like yours ;D
Wayfarer of Meridian, formerly Malachite.
Wuppypuppy of Cerulean :)
I make avatars.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wuppypuppy2 at Jul 16, 2013 8:39:54 AM]
[Jul 16, 2013 8:39:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - The Great Outdoors Edition [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

This is an incredible list of winners, congratulations!

Cattrin's Up Up and Away

Controversy's Cloud Gazing

Controversy's Constellations

Controversy's Day of the Beasties

Controversy's Fireside Chats

Controversy's Jungle Clearing

Melquire's Old Painting

Melquire's Trip to the Mountains

Scythera's Garden Gates

Scythera's Summer Night

Scythera's Summer Party

Scythera's Sunlit Forest

The winners please PM me with:
* confirmation of pirate name and ocean to receive the prizes
* choice of in-game clothing (anything in any color purchasable from a tailor that doesn't require a Design or Reputation)
* real name and full mailing address for real-life prizes
* or a second in-game clothing item if you don't wish to have the real-life prize
* choice of Greenbones egg or doll, Fishheadred egg or doll or Bluebeard egg or doll!

It's very likely that this edition will run again sometime in the future, so those who didn't win this time or those with unfinished work make sure to save the piece so you can submit then. Congratulations to all the winners and thank you all for participating!

[Jul 22, 2013 11:29:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - The Great Outdoors Edition [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Huzzah!! :-D
Congratulations all around!

Franklin
[Jul 22, 2013 11:40:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scheherazade

Congrats, everybody! This was so fun!!!

[Jul 22, 2013 12:02:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Nice work everyone! Congratz!
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald

Cronus tells ye, "...it's Hera's doing. She spread those horrid lies of me eating poor innocent babies. *burp*"
Cronus tells ye, "When in doubt blame Hera"
[Jul 22, 2013 10:05:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RonenOsden

Melquire's Trip to the Mountains

Is this portrait going to be available in-game? Id really like to use it ...
Cptnronen Born And Raised On The Cobalt Ocean
Avatar created by the amazing Cattrin.
[Aug 3, 2013 1:42:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmpressTamar

I've been stalking the palace for eleven days now. Are these ever going to be released? :(
#freeicyman #numberone3p

Empresstamar of Emerald.
Patching videos
Gorgeous avatar by Yumisa <3
[Aug 8, 2013 12:59:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

I'll add a note to this thread as soon as they are in game. Due to some unforeseen circumstances, this edition is taking a little longer than expected.

[Aug 8, 2013 6:24:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

The Great Outdoors edition is now in game. Get yer outfits ready and get your copies!

[Aug 16, 2013 10:36:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

They're here! Clotho just updated the Yppedia to let us all know. :-D

(Edit): SNIPED! :-O
Sneaky Clotho!... ;-)

Franklin
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Franklincain at Aug 16, 2013 10:37:54 AM]
[Aug 16, 2013 10:36:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

The ninja lessons are paying off!

[Aug 16, 2013 4:26:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RonenOsden

The Great Outdoors edition is now in game. Get yer outfits ready and get your copies!

Thank you! So glad I got this new portrait!
Cptnronen Born And Raised On The Cobalt Ocean
Avatar created by the amazing Cattrin.
[Aug 16, 2013 4:40:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates