• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 31
Posts: 31   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3231 times and has 30 replies Next Thread
Aeternis

Reveal The Secret - A Comic Creating Con(test) (psst, winners) - win a familiar! Reply to this Post

Yarrhoys bud!
WHO ME?
Sssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh
who me?
Yesssssssss. Do you want to buy a secret?
A SECRET?
Sssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh
a secret?
yesssssssssss - A secret is great
why?
shh.. em .. You can know about it and not telling anyone.
NOT TELLING, THAT'S BORING!
shhhhhhhh, but you're right. I pay for your secrets now, but paint them!
What do I get?
Someone gets a familiar, but the rest... it's a secret to everybody

Yarrhoys again, now the TLDR part up front!

Create a comic with a pirate-secret-theme of 4 A4 pages + 1 cover-page and 1 character introduction page till July 13th and upload it to the entry thread using [img] tags for your cover (about 600x400 px) and [url] tags for your comic, character introduction and full-size cover. Win a fam and other prizes!

Rules in detail:

• Only one entry per pirate
  • The theme of the comic has to be a pirate secret. Revealing it or just showing what's there hidden on the ocean is up to you!
  • Only posts in the entry thread made until July 13th in the entry thread and not edited after the deadline can be taken into account.
    You may edit your post any number of times before the
    deadline is reached.
  • You are limited to 6 pages, which are divided into 1 cover page, 1 character introduction page and 4 story pages.
  • You may use less than 4 story pages but you need to do the cover and character introduction
  • A page refers to a painting of A4 size (210 mm x 297 mm)
  • Your post in the entry thread should contain:
    - Your piratename and ocean
    - A picture of your cover with around 420 x 600 px using [img] tags
    - Your full size cover page using [url] tags
    - Your character introduction page using [url] tags
    - Your story pages using [url] tag.
  • You may draw the comic by hand or create it digitally. You also may use screenshots and scene editor. You can even intermix all sorts as long as the comic is your work!
  • While the event is open to players from all oceans the language of the comic has to be English (but you can ask for translation help as a comic is not that text heavy!

Prizes:

- 1st Place: A secret familiar (tan), a black box and a commemorative trinket
- 2nd Place: A secret artifact furniture, a black box and a
commemorative trinket
- 3rd Place: A secret LE sloop with a secret name, a black box and a commemorative trinket
- Honorable Mentions: A black box and a commemorative trinket

The judging guidelines will be kept secret (of course).
If you have questions, just ask.

Useful links:

How to upload
files

example
of a character introduction page

entry thread

Deutscher Thread
Versión en Español - Thank you Clotho!!!
----------------------------------------
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Aeternis at Jul 17, 2013 12:01:41 PM]
[Jun 15, 2013 12:43:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Re: Reveal The Secret - A Comic Creating Con(test) (ends July 13th) - win a familiar! Reply to this Post

Reserved for FAQ

As some of you may have already seen in the event workshop forums, I'm looking for people visiting San Diego Comic Con and would like to do some 3rd party judging (ie showing other visitors the comics and have them rate them with a scale from 1-10)
If someone would like to do that, he can send me a PM.
This would result in another secret prize for the "people's vote winner"

[Jun 15, 2013 12:46:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Re: Reveal The Secret - A Comic Creating Con(test) (ends July 13th) - win a familiar! Reply to this Post

i have a question about the content of the comic...it says to

Create a comic with a pirate-secret-theme

does this mean we have to "create a secret" and make a comic about the pirate revealing the secret, or are the theme up to us to reveal what our theme is about??? (so basically about anything and it's revealed in the story???)
I'm a bit confused >.< Great event idea though!!!
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Jun 24, 2013 2:50:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

That's top secret ;)

Just kidding
It means that it has to do with a secret and pirates. It doesn't matter if you just write about the secret, how it was created or how it is revealed.

I hope this helps?

[Jun 24, 2013 2:56:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

so a secret...like say a hidden treasure, or some juicy gossip etc? and with your pirates as the *characters*?
[Jun 24, 2013 4:50:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Yes, a hidden treasure is fine, the contents of that treasure may be a secret or some gossip may be a secret as well, though gossip usually isn't secret. But you also may put in secrets like the question how kraken's blood is made, how girls can grow a mustache or write a comic about the secret past of one of your characters.

Your characters don't have to be actual pirates, be creative.

[Jun 25, 2013 7:58:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

I'm so excited for this event! I think I have a story in my head...or at least bits and images ^_^ If only I could write a story!!! Thanks for the clarification :D it helped a lot ^_^ Time to sharpen my pencils and get to work :)

BTW: the entry thread link is broken or doesn't exist :( I just get a blank screen when I try to open it
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Booful at Jun 25, 2013 1:04:31 PM]
[Jun 25, 2013 1:00:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

OMG you used an asterix and obelix comic introduction XD
I love you, that is my childhood lol XD!

And :3 i might do this yay sounds like fun for my little time between mid year exams @.@
Yumisa World Wide ;)
Your Favourite Cookie Monster <3op
Can't find me? Im on Deviant Art!
[Jul 1, 2013 9:28:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

ok, I have yet ANOTHER question regarding the character intro page thingy, does it have to be a simple sketch + brief description and layed out like the asterix example, or can it be a "interactive/action" image where i give a character *word sketch* by each character in the image? eg, can I draw a sword fight for example involving all important characters and just write a *bubble* next to them? kinda like a frozen moment in time?
(hope the question makes sense)
Also, I drew my comic sketch on A4 paper, but would like to scan it in and edit it digitally, is this ok? And the links I post with the comic, does it have to be a certain size as well since a 426 x 600 is quite small and you won;t be able to see the details of the words in the comic if shrunk to that size...just wondering if it makes a difference since sizing seems to change when you scan and doesnt convert to the right pixels right away >.< (unless I'm doing it wrong which is VERY possible)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Booful at Jul 3, 2013 11:06:06 PM]
[Jul 3, 2013 11:03:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

Yeah im having the same problem with the size ._.; it's too small for details é-e; unless we are allowed to put links to bigger sizes
Yumisa World Wide ;)
Your Favourite Cookie Monster <3op
Can't find me? Im on Deviant Art!
[Jul 4, 2013 2:47:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

You should post links to the original size (A4). The only thing you have to post with 426x600 px is a version of your cover page, so we see something in the entry thread other than links. You still have to include an link to the A4-version of your cover page.

ok, I have yet ANOTHER question regarding the character intro page thingy, does it have to be a simple sketch + brief description and layed out like the asterix example, or can it be a "interactive/action" image where i give a character *word sketch* by each character in the image? eg, can I draw a sword fight for example involving all important characters and just write a *bubble* next to them? kinda like a frozen moment in time?

Yes, it doesn't have to be "Asterix"style. Just do it your way and give the reader an idea who you are writing about.

[Jul 4, 2013 4:57:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

Phew! Finally finished mine! If anyone is looking for free Comic Book fonts (including word balloons! Very helpful!), this site was helpful. It does require that you know how to install fonts on your computer though...

Hope to see lots more entries soon!
Bunnylaroo of Sage Emerald

[Jul 9, 2013 5:13:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

/e falls on her knees and begs for an extension of the deadline (the 15th perhaps ~.^) ...comic art is WAY more work and intense than I thought >.< *new respect earned for comic artists!!!!* But learning Soooo much in the mean time!!! And loving it!!!! I just hope i can finish it in time >.< btw such witty and entertaining entries so far!!!! LOVE it!!!! You guys have a way better sense of humor than me!!!
[Jul 10, 2013 8:52:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mawkawlaw

/e falls on her knees and begs for an extension of the deadline (the 15th perhaps ~.^) ...comic art is WAY more work and intense than I thought >.< *new respect earned for comic artists!!!!* But learning Soooo much in the mean time!!! And loving it!!!! I just hope i can finish it in time >.< btw such witty and entertaining entries so far!!!! LOVE it!!!! You guys have a way better sense of humor than me!!!

I second that....
Makawhawla on Meridian

[Jul 10, 2013 1:16:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

I can't expand the deadline as it wouldn't be fair to those doing their entries in a way that they finish in time. But I still prefer a non-coloured entry over no entry every time ;)

[Jul 10, 2013 2:51:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

ok confirming I have until midnight tomorrow right??? (the 13th pirate time) I will enter what I have so far...but I still need to create my character intro page...And i won;t have that done till tomorrow...so hoping I still have 24 hours...
[Jul 12, 2013 11:42:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Yes, contest ends in about 24 hours.

[Jul 12, 2013 11:48:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Oh excellent :D I will add the last piece to my entry tomorrow then ^_^ In the mean time good night and sweet dreams fellow comic arrrrtists!!! And thank you for this amazing competition Locu!!! I have always dreamed of drawing a comic...and now my dream has come true at last!!! <3
[Jul 13, 2013 12:00:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

You're welcome, I always wanted to read more pirate comics!

[Jul 13, 2013 12:02:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

My husband said I need to start a webcomic >.< And do this on a weekly basis o.O I don't think he realizes how much work goes into a single page O.o I learned so much though!!! So I may attempt this again...
[Jul 13, 2013 9:36:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mawkawlaw

My computer is being really stubborn and I was unable to upload my stuff before midnight (my computer is still crashed, but I'm using my brother's computer to post this). Can you please still accept my entry? (I'll get it up as soon as my computer unfreezes.)
Makawhawla on Meridian

[Jul 14, 2013 12:03:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

A deadline is part of the contest, so I only accept it, if all participants agree with a late upload.
Just post it and the other participants please send me a PM with your yay or nay to the question "Do you accept a late entry of Mawkawlaw?"

Else: Contest is now closed for judging. Thanks for your participation. I had a glimpse at the comics ;) and know that the judges don't have an easy job!

I'm sad that no one is going to SDCC so we won't do a 3rd party judging.

[Jul 14, 2013 12:16:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

I am ok with the late entry...I know technical issues can really be a heart breaker esp after seeing so much work and effort put into it :)
[Jul 14, 2013 10:56:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Re: Reveal The Secret - A Comic Creating Con(test) (in judging) - win a familiar! Reply to this Post

Pssst, we have winners!
WINNERS?
Pssst, Yes, Winners
COOL! MAY I REVEAL THEM?
Sure, we can't keep it a secret, so just shout it all out!

Yarr,

it was really hard to judge and very close in the end, but we have a winner.
Oh and Ernie says we reveal the prizes as well.

Placing 1st and winning a tan-black parrot, a black box and a trinket: Pixelpixie of Cerulean

Placing 2nd and winning a lodestone compass, a black box and a trinket:
Bunnylaroo of Emerald

Placing 3rd and winning a smuggler class sloop named "Real Secret Goby", a black box and a trinket:
Herowena of Ceruelan

And honorable mentions in form of a trinket and a black box go to:
Pillowaddict of Emerald for the most action
Redded of Emerald for the special humour
Makawhawla on Meridian for the cutest characters

Congratulations to you all!
List of prizes is out to Clotho and should be delivered soon.

Herowena, you might to trade your prize to an alt and back to be able to use it.

With doing 3 things parallel I totally forgot to thank several people whose help made the event possible.

Thanks in no special order go to:
Clotho, Vova, the judges and all participants.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Aeternis at Jul 17, 2013 12:25:39 PM]
[Jul 17, 2013 12:00:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Re: Reveal The Secret - A Comic Creating Con(test) (in judging) - win a familiar! Reply to this Post

Yay!!!! You made my day!!! Thank YOU and congrats to ALL the other winners and entrants as well!!! Let's do this again!!! Now my husband expects me to make lots of comics...on a weekly basis o.O Thanks for the event Locu <3
[Jul 17, 2013 12:44:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

Thanks so much! Congrats to all the participants! I really enjoyed reading each comic. Thanks Locu for a clever and challenging event!
Bunnylaroo of Sage Emerald

[Jul 17, 2013 12:47:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Askmewhen

Re: Reveal The Secret - A Comic Creating Con(test) (psst, winners) - win a familiar! Reply to this Post

Tried something different and failed for it.

Lesson learned, congrats to the winners.
Redded of Hunter
[Jul 17, 2013 2:18:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Re: Reveal The Secret - A Comic Creating Con(test) (psst, winners) - win a familiar! Reply to this Post

I wouldn't call it failing. I had fun reading every comic, but there can't be 6 winners.

[Jul 17, 2013 2:38:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Hurrah, thank ye!
This event gave me the impetus to try something I have no experience with, and I enjoyed seeing how everyone else rose to the challenge. Congratulations to everyone who took the plunge.
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

[Jul 17, 2013 6:11:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Prizes have been delivered.
Herowena, as already mentioned, you have to trade your ship with an alt and back to have full access.

I wouldn't mind a weekly webcomic, Pixie ;)

[Jul 18, 2013 10:56:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 31   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates