• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 53
Posts: 53   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4259 times and has 52 replies Next Thread
Mcimp

Piratey Fairytales V: Swan Lake [Winners!] Reply to this Post

Winners

One fine summer's eve, Apollo, heir to the throne of Narya and most eligible bachelor in all the oceans, was out happily repainting colored parrots by the shores of Lincoln Lake when he noticed something unusual. A fair white swan crowned with a rose laurel stepped gracefully from the water to be met by a glorious peacock shimmering with purple, green and blue. As the sun set, tinting the landscape with a rosy glow, the pair transformed into two beautiful young women. Each wore a golden collar gleaming with sinister lime-colored jewels and, with twin expressions of sadness mixed with hope, they approached the awestruck prince.

Apollo learned that Galene and Hera, the two lovely O'dette sisters, had been waylaid by the scheming technomancer Cephalo-Rothbart and cursed with the fog-fuelled golden collars. Until one stout of heart and willing to face Rothbart's wrath by dancing with each of them by the light of midsummer's full moon, the sisters would transform into their totem spirits from dawn to dusk each day.

Before the ritual could occur, however, the wicked Rothbart sent his own troubled daughter Clothodile disguised as the sisters to delude and distract the affable prince in the hope that Apollo would not realize the deception until it was too late...

Your task:
Create a single scene from the Puzzle Pirates version of Swan Lake entirely out of paper. You will need to take a picture of your materials, at least one in-progress picture, and one of your completed work. Evidence photos should contain a handwritten card* with your pirate name, ocean and 2013 on it.

Post your entry to the Entry Thread ,with the picture of your finished work in image tags and your in-progress shots as links.

Deadline: Midnight, Tuesday July 23, 2013.

Technicalities:

• Your scene should in some way be related to both the Puzzle Pirates world, and Swan Lake the ballet.
  • Images: you may post one final image up to 600x600 px in image tags in your entry. Any images larger than this, and other supporting/evidence images should be posted as links. For instructions, see how to post an image to the forums.
  • Judging will consider originality, overall appearance, crafting skills (including task difficulty), and relevance to the theme.
  • Remember to include your pirate name and ocean in your entry
  • This event is open to pirates from all oceans. If prizes need to be delivered to Jade or Opal, renames and inscriptions will be substituted for something relevant to that ocean.

'Paper' craft?
Any type of paper-crafting activity is acceptable, and designs can be two or three dimensional.

Your materials should be primarily plain paper. You can stick to elegant all-white, recycled or colored paper or card, but try to avoid textured materials or adding drawn-on detail: work that uses paper alone to create an effect will be valued more highly than entries that are embellished in other ways.

If you are using sharp implements, play safely and responsibly, my ambulance is 12,648 km away and response times are awful.

Possible inspirations and ideas:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quilling
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papercutting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origami
http://www.creativepopupcards.com/
http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2009/05/100-extraordinary-examples-of-paper-art/

Prizes:
First: White/white Swan parrot feather, ancient rumjug, pale gold/peach unicorn pet, Sandiibottom's fourth prize-winning egg, inscribed summer trinket.
Second: Colored 'peacocks can't swim' package: Purple/green parrot feather, lavender rabbit pet, Verdant class sloop with a standard rename, planters of wildflowers in Elderberry blue, Nettle green and Lobelia purple, inscribed summer trinket.
Third: Cursed Rothbart package: inscribed long-stem rose trinket, Cursed class sloop, CrocOdile (gator) pet.
Fourth: Odette's white/rose furniture package: inscribed long-stem rose trinket, white rabbit pet, clawfoot tub furniture, vase with wildflowers , laquered table, color wall lamp, Fleur-de-Lis shower curtain banner
Fifth: Orchestra pit: inscribed long-stem rose trinket, Celtic harp, Fiddle, Celtic drum, maroon harpsichord, 4 maroon upholstered chairs, 3 exhibit bases, 2 maroon/white Fleur-de-Lis curtains banners.

You may request prizes in an order different to that listed by making a note in your entry. Prize preference will go to the first place winner first, then second, etc.

Once again,
Deadline: July 23, 2013.
Entry Thread

*handwritten/painted/carved card/paper/rock/hand/foot are all deemed acceptable. Probably not carved hands or feet, though. Again, response times.
----------------------------------------
I am pretty, oh so pretty...
Elegant avatar by the talented Wayfarer.

[Edit 6 times, last edit by Mcimp at Jul 27, 2013 2:12:46 AM]
[Jun 12, 2013 6:10:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mcimp

Re: Piratey Fairytales V: Swan Lake Reply to this Post

Q&A

Really any kind of paper craft? Really, anything. Paper collage, papier mache, paper flowers, something with decorative streamers, crumpled up tissue paper, carve up a book. Preferably not one belonging to somebody else.

What about tape and glue? Sure. Something has to hold your masterpiece together, and honey tends to make a sticky mess. You can also use things like stcks, paper clips and thumb tacks to hold things together but keep them hidden, not decorative.

Does the scene I make have to be from the story in the first post?
No. Your scene does have to relate to both the puzzle pirates world and Swan Lake the ballet in some way, but you're free to use your imagination. You can add a brief explanation of your scene is about if you like.

A note on decorative paper and embellishments: you won't be disqualified for using them, however it will affect judging, in that effects created purely from paper will score better. How much your score is affected and whether or not there is an actual penalty will depend on how much and how you use them.

There's more than one version of Swan Lake, which one do I use? Any one, so long as there's some connection to both Swan Lake the ballet and Puzzle Pirates.

[Edit 4 times, last edit by Mcimp at Jun 20, 2013 2:35:20 PM]
[Jun 12, 2013 6:11:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Oo this sounds fun...just clarrifying, paper craft, does a collage type work count as using only paper?
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Jun 12, 2013 7:58:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

YOUR AVATAR REQUEST MAKES SENSE NOW :D
<3
This looks awesome xD
Wayfarer of Meridian, formerly Malachite.
Wuppypuppy of Cerulean :)
I make avatars.
[Jun 12, 2013 9:08:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mcimp

Oo this sounds fun...just clarrifying, paper craft, does a collage type work count as using only paper?

Yes indeed, although given that there may be a wide range of mediums with different levels of difficulty, I've added a note about that into the judging considerations.

For anyone who's read through already, I'm also making a change to the rabbits. Hera and white just isn't logical ;)

[Jun 12, 2013 2:14:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

/e gets a paper cut just thinking about it and doesn't even mind

Brilliant event. :)
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

(Imp turned me into a dolly! :D)
[Jun 12, 2013 6:05:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
spidey1200

Your materials should be primarily plain paper. You can stick to elegant all-white, recycled or colored paper or card, but try to avoid textured materials or adding drawn-on detail: work that uses paper alone to create an effect will be valued more highly than entries that are embellished in other ways.

Is thin cardboard considered 'textured'? (think about the thickness of paper towel tubing)
Periswrinkle on Emerald
[Jun 13, 2013 9:25:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mcimp

Is thin cardboard considered 'textured'? (think about the thickness of paper towel tubing)

Card and cardboard are fine, anything flat that resembles paper will be ok. What I'm trying to avoid is the use of expensive custom scrapbooking type papers with patterns or textures that could resemble grass or water, for example, instead of creating the grass or water yourself. As long your entry meets the spirit of 'your own work', there won't be any penalty.

[Jun 14, 2013 12:44:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Card and cardboard are fine, anything flat that resembles paper will be ok. What I'm trying to avoid is the use of expensive custom scrapbooking type papers with patterns or textures that could resemble grass or water, for example, instead of creating the grass or water yourself. As long your entry meets the spirit of 'your own work', there won't be any penalty.

is it Ok to use scrapbook paper though? (since that is what I have available?) Just not to say use a water textured paper to represent all the water, but adding other colors etc to "create the scen" (if that makes sense)
[Jun 14, 2013 1:47:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

*twirls*
[Jun 14, 2013 3:29:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

is it Ok to use scrapbook paper though? (since that is what I have available?) Just not to say use a water textured paper to represent all the water, but adding other colors etc to "create the scen" (if that makes sense)

Do you mean painting on colors? Or do you mean using multiple sheets of paper, in various shades of the same color?
DEXLA LOUISA MIDNIGHT on Cerulean
[Jun 14, 2013 3:51:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

No just using different shades of paper, though some of them has say a blend of colors on them. no paints involved just glue...
[Jun 14, 2013 6:27:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mcimp

Sure, there will just be no advantage to using fancier papers.
Edit: it's really hard to draw a line here, homemade recycled paper has a bit of both texture and speckles, for example. Use your best judgement, none of this stuff will invalidate your entry, but remember that it's a paper-crafting event, and that will be the focus for judging.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Mcimp at Jun 14, 2013 6:57:08 PM]
[Jun 14, 2013 6:37:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

ok thats good, i just cant go and buy any more paper...my husband will have a heart attack >.<
[Jun 14, 2013 9:11:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Questions:
"Create a single scene from the Puzzle Pirates version of Swan Lake entirely out of paper."

Does that include a piratified scene from Swan Lake that you did not specifically write about in the first post?
And if I were to do a piratey interpretation of a part of Swan Lake on my own, should I perhaps describe the scene to you (in a very brief couple of sentences?)
Also, are we allowed to use non-paper materials to help reinforce our creation, as long as it is not visible? (Like sticks, or wires to help keep things standing pretty.)
DEXLA LOUISA MIDNIGHT on Cerulean
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Dexla at Jun 17, 2013 6:14:17 AM]
[Jun 17, 2013 6:10:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

Questions:
"Create a single scene from the Puzzle Pirates version of Swan Lake entirely out of paper."

Does that include a piratified scene from Swan Lake that you did not specifically write about in the first post?
And if I were to do a piratey interpretation of a part of Swan Lake on my own, should I perhaps describe the scene to you (in a very brief couple of sentences?)
Also, are we allowed to use non-paper materials to help reinforce our creation, as long as it is not visible? (Like sticks, or wires to help keep things standing pretty.)

Yes, yes and yes. If it's hidden, no problem - it would be too difficult to police otherwise.

Edit: the scene doesn't need to have anything to do with the story in the first post at all, just relate to both the PP world and Swan Lake in some way.

Edits again: sorry, answering from my phone at too-early o'clock. :)
Mcimp will add pertinent details to the second post.
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Snowpixie at Jun 17, 2013 2:34:40 PM]
[Jun 17, 2013 2:27:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Redrosy9

I was creating a scene with stand-up images but I drew them and cut them out. I was going to color them in. I now realize that you aren't supposed to draw. Is this correct?
~Luckyliza of Meridian and formerly of Malachite ~
[Jun 18, 2013 12:53:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mcimp

I was creating a scene with stand-up images but I drew them and cut them out. I was going to color them in. I now realize that you aren't supposed to draw. Is this correct?

Yes, though remember that everyone has the same restrictions. It's not an easy task, rather than starting over see what you can do with what you've started. Using all white is fine, and mentioned in the original post. If you have a look through the links you will see some plain white pieces that use different techniques to make them stand out, perhaps something there will give you an idea you can work with?

Edit: again just to clarify, it won't disqualify you, but it will impact on your score: work that uses paper alone to create an effect will be valued more highly than work that uses other methods.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Mcimp at Jun 18, 2013 1:16:49 PM]
[Jun 18, 2013 1:12:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Redrosy9

Yes, though remember that everyone has the same restrictions. It's not an easy task, rather than starting over see what you can do with what you've started. Using all white is fine, and mentioned in the original post. If you have a look through the links you will see some plain white pieces that use different techniques to make them stand out, perhaps something there will give you an idea you can work with?

Edit: again just to clarify, it won't disqualify you, but it will impact on your score: work that uses paper alone to create an effect will be valued more highly than work that uses other methods.

Hmm I think I have an idea. :)
[Jun 18, 2013 1:58:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Redrosy9

I have read probably 10 synopses of Swan Lake and they all end differently other than her death and his suicide. Is is okay if I just choose one?

Thanks!
[Jun 20, 2013 10:42:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mcimp

I have read probably 10 synopses of Swan Lake and they all end differently other than her death and his suicide. Is is okay if I just choose one?

Thanks!

For sure. If you want to include a description that's ok, too.

[Jun 20, 2013 2:26:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Redrosy9

I hope I submitted my entry correctly. This was my first time. :P
[Jun 23, 2013 12:13:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mcimp

I hope I submitted my entry correctly. This was my first time. :P

It looks lovely! The only fault in your entry I can see is that the last two links are the same, you can edit the post to change that if you like. You have all the required photos though, so it's not essential.

[Jun 23, 2013 2:25:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

That's midnight Tuesday, a.k.a. late Monday night?
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

[Jul 1, 2013 12:57:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mcimp

That's midnight Tuesday, a.k.a. late Monday night?

No, you have all of Tuesday to procrastinate as well. 11:59 pm Tuesday plus another minute.

Don't be late :P

[Jul 1, 2013 4:45:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mcimp

Love the entries so far. Pity my poor judges :3

Just over a week to go, for the rest of you. Hop, hop!

[Jul 15, 2013 5:45:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hmkanj

Phew! Finally finished...depends on my mood.

Hope the scene I chose is valid?
Thanks!
Pillowaddict from Emerald Ocean
[Jul 15, 2013 7:46:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mcimp

Phew! Finally finished...depends on my mood.

Hope the scene I chose is valid?
Thanks!

*how* you integrate Swan Lake with Puzzle Pirates is up to you, your chosen scene is fine :)

[Jul 15, 2013 8:27:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

Re: Piratey Fairytales V: Swan Lake [Deadline: July 23] Reply to this Post

/e finally goes to the craft store D:

/e headdesks repeatedly
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

[Jul 16, 2013 5:22:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

YAY I actually finished :D

Thanks for such a fun contest! I got to try something new, and it was a blast!
Bunnylaroo of Sage Emerald

[Jul 21, 2013 12:19:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 53   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates