• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 12
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1015 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
Momma_Wolf

Foraging job offers Reply to this Post

My search-fu is weak, so I don't know if this has been brought up before, but does anyone have a clue how these are arranged/ranked on the notice board?

Booty shares are illogical, and it doesn't seem to use that for criteria. Ditto ship name, officer name, crew name, pay offered, or who put up offer first.

I'm curious.
----------------------------------------
Mommawolf, lurking on most oceans
Captain, Blackwolf Marauders of Midnight, now Cerulean
Queen, Victory Raiders of Midnight, now Cerulean

cmdrzoom said:

Anyone may demand answers of the gods.
Getting them is another matter.

[Jun 11, 2013 5:45:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Re: Foraging job offers Reply to this Post

Alphabetically by fruit name. YA, RLY.

You can tell how columns are sorted (in general, for any windowed widget on a computer) by looking at the column header, and seeing that one has a little arrow up or down in it. The presence of the arrow indicates that this column is the primary sort key, and the arrow direction indicates ascending or descending sort.
Retired as of August 2015.
Sic transit gloria mundi.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Jun 11, 2013 10:29:59 PM]
[Jun 11, 2013 10:27:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Momma_Wolf

*blink*

That makes as much sense as anything I guess, but why does someone putting up a later offer on the same island sort to higher position then an existing offer, especially when the poe offered is radically different?

I tried it with an alt, but put up 1/1/1/1, the alt's offer showed closer to the top than my existing one with legit prices.

cmdrzoom said:

[Jun 12, 2013 3:43:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
flewors

It's all alphabetical but if the fruit are identical then it sorts by the price offered (starting with the first fruit until there's a difference). Bananas sort above Limes, 1 sorts above 2 and 10 sorts above 9 because computers are silly and only look at the first digit.

It's stupid but it doesn't seem like anyone cares enough to fix it, and to be fair there are much more important things that need fixing anyway.
[Jun 12, 2013 3:31:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Momma_Wolf

I agree on the more important things to fix, I was just curious.

Thanks for the answers

cmdrzoom said:

[Jun 13, 2013 5:29:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

It's all alphabetical but if the fruit are identical then it sorts by the price offered (starting with the first fruit until there's a difference). Bananas sort above Limes, 1 sorts above 2 and 10 sorts above 9 because computers are silly and only look at the first digit.

It's stupid but it doesn't seem like anyone cares enough to fix it, and to be fair there are much more important things that need fixing anyway.

Yeah, that means the devs messed up and use a lexical, not numeric, sort on the numbers. So it's going "alphabetically" by counting the numbers' ASCII values instead of using their numerical values.
[Jun 13, 2013 9:48:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Yeah, that means the devs messed up and use a lexical, not numeric, sort on the numbers. So it's going "alphabetically" by counting the numbers' ASCII values instead of using their numerical values.

I'm not sure the devs "messed up", rather I think they looked at and realized there isn't a meaningful way of sorting forging pay. Which is better pay 4/14/40/4000 or 5/13/200/3000?
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Jun 14, 2013 3:48:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

Which is better pay 4/14/40/4000 or 5/13/200/3000?

I know this is a trick question, but I wanted to try my luck at answering it so bad D: Its the second one! Tier 1 Fruit is more common than Tier 2, and Gems are usually more common than Gold Nuggets. (1,000 poe per haul of Gems makes the 1k difference between the Gems and Nuggets.
Woot I just cheated logic! And yes, I know there are some errors in that above logic, but I was bored D:
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[Jun 14, 2013 9:10:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

Foraging spoils are probabilistic, approximately 2:1 for the fruits and around 1% shiny things. They could work out what the expected value for a forage is given a price structure, and use that number.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Jun 14, 2013 10:14:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vireyda

Thanks seems like a lot of effort for a list that I've never seen more than four offers long...are there so many more offers on dub oceans that makes just glancing though them more difficult?
Vireyda
Midnight Cerulean
SO of Phire Phoenix

KP PIMPED my Avvie!
[Jun 14, 2013 2:52:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Thanks seems like a lot of effort for a list that I've never seen more than four offers long...are there so many more offers on dub oceans that makes just glancing though them more difficult?

It's usually 2-6 at any given time on a doubloon ocean. I think people are trying to find either some way to make their offer look best, or some way to figure out which offer is the best without pulling out a calculator. Especially when you get an oddball offer up there like 0/0/0/5555.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Jun 14, 2013 2:58:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

I'm not sure the devs "messed up", rather I think they looked at and realized there isn't a meaningful way of sorting forging pay. Which is better pay 4/14/40/4000 or 5/13/200/3000?

Then I would ask why the wages column is sortable at all, and especially why it was chosen as the default sort key, when something more meaningful could be sorted, such as ship name or pirate name.
[Jun 14, 2013 5:33:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates