• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 18
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5233 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
Godoftheloch

A brief history of the game, 2003-2013: Puzzle Pirates is truly finished Reply to this Post

I'm an old salt of the game. Disappeared a few years ago, logged in from time to time, returned a fortnight back. Man has this place changed. To catch up, I thought I'd go and find some forum thread that sums up the major changes in the history of YPP all in one place (more succinctly than the release notes). As it happens, I couldn't find a resource of the kind anywhere so I thought I'd make one myself and post it here for anyone else that finds it useful.

I put together a list of all the major content releases through YPPs post-beta history that had caused a major change in gameplay (which of course, changes with opinion, this one is just mine). Any cosmetic changes (old content restyled as a new release) is excluded. So for example Atlantis is a major release that impacted on how people play the game where a new ship or a new colour of cat doesn't fundamentally change gameplay. By the same token, the release of Brigand Kings is a new content release. The release of another Brigand King is not new major gameplay content. It's cosmetic. I've left out the merger as technically (though a big moment) it isn't the release of new content and doesn't seem to be recorded in any official release notes either.

And so here it is. A year by year history of the game:

2003: YPP launches.
2004: Alchemistry, Spades, war, ship sinking, blockades, island colonisation, bazaars, market bidding, ye know world, whisking.
2005: Cobalt and Viridian oceans, Sage ocean, Shipwrightery, Hearts, Treasure Drop, Drinking puzzle revamped, missions, portraits, fame, pirate housing.
2006: Hunter Ocean, Opal Ocean, Poker, Rumble, Brigand Kings, event blockades, pets.
2007: Treasure Haul, Blacksmithing, Atlantis, flotillas, Brigand King blockades.
2008: Malachite ocean, Foraging, Cursed Isled, puzzle competitions, beta version of Puzzle Prates Adventures (later closed).
2009: Crimson Ocean (later closed), Jade Ocean, Rigging, shipwrecks, Imperial outposts, explorer's hall, reputation.
2010: Weaving, Haunted Seas, Brigand King expeditions, trading posts, black markets, pirate halls.
2011: Viking expeditions.
2012: Patching.
2013: Nothing significant yet but we've been shown part of a kraken as recently as a year ago.

Is it just me or have major gameplay releases over the last few years become... rarer? Okay, it's a given that the Steam integration (August 2011) and the ocean merger (January 2012) take up a HUGE amount of time both before and after implementation as too will the integration of the tablet app (June 2013 if you want to risk a guess but it shouldn't take as long as the Adventure Islands).

All this is mind, seeing as content releases seem to have stopped about a year ago with nothing in the foreseeable future apart from a non-content app, I think it is fair to say that constant development of the game has reached it's conclusion. The game is complete. Now that's what I'm talking about!

Now we can throw down our sabres and lift up our pitchers in a moment of celebration!

Puzzle Pirates is truly, in more senses of the word than just one, finished.
[Jun 10, 2013 10:56:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Re: A brief history of the game, 2003-2013: Puzzle Pirates is truly finished Reply to this Post

Nice summary. Important things that I would add:

Reserved labor. It not only changed the way shopkeepers work, but a lot of newer players would order stuff, see that it wasn't finishing and quit.

When OOO updated the bnav AI for the bots to handle multi-ship environments, pillaging bnav became much slower and less fun.

While I agree that new ships aren't significant when run by players, they did change what pillagers face, often in a very negative way.

Trophies. In theory, they don't change the way the game is played, in practice, it changed the way people play the game. Certainly more than reputation has.

I would have left out Haunted Seas and Brigand King expeditions, they were really just new skins on older stuff. I'm not so sure that Pirate Halls were that important either.
----------------------------------------
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Jun 10, 2013 11:34:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PhoenyxStar

Re: A brief history of the game, 2003-2013: Puzzle Pirates is truly finished Reply to this Post

I would have stuck in the Global Purse in 2005 as well since it was, after all, a fairly significant change to the way people played. No longer did we have to go pick up our buried PoE on those out of the way islands, sailing our PoE around became commonplace..... It's also what enabled that whole "not local only" game table thing really
~ Phoenix or Danae

Depends on the colour of your ocean really.
[Jun 10, 2013 9:37:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inschato

Not finished until they finish all the crafting puzzles. Which they probably won't do without some sort of overhaul of that entire system to make those puzzles actually interesting and worth doing. As they stand they're just niche puzzles played by people who have little choice (shopkeepers) and the very few people who enjoy them on a regular basis. Still missing things like an in-game message system, or auction house (though that would have far reaching effects on the economy, probably).

It's kind of amusing to peruse "The List " and laugh at things that just seem implausible or undesirable at this point.

Peghead promised poker tournaments before poker was even in the game, somehow that got lost along the way :(
-Undisputed Overlord of the Emerald Ocean
[Jun 10, 2013 10:38:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hammer1

?yawn ?- the game is not dead ,far from it . Lots of us still enjoy the game . You make the game for others to enjoy .If you find a decent crew and help out ,they will help you.

Be active ,do something .

Activity is the key.

Instead of thinking up make believe problems, find a make believe solution.
Blackhammer.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by hammer1 at Jun 11, 2013 4:56:54 AM]
[Jun 11, 2013 4:52:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Godoftheloch

Reserved labor. It not only changed the way shopkeepers work, but a lot of newer players would order stuff, see that it wasn't finishing and quit.
I must have missed this while looking over the releases. Such a practical update to overlook.

Trophies. In theory, they don't change the way the game is played, in practice, it changed the way people play the game. Certainly more than reputation has.

I would have stuck in the Global Purse in 2005 as well since it was, after all, a fairly significant change to the way people played.
I can't believe I completely overlooked these. I guess I'm so used to trophies and the money being there that I never considered it to be anything "major".

Not finished until they finish all the crafting puzzles.
OOO don't intend to finish them anymore (as far as I know). The code freeze for round 3 was four and a half years ago. About one year ago Hermes very nicely put forwards that the developers have decided not to move forwards with a Tailoring or Furnishing puzzle but may do someday which politically speaking, probably means they won't.

It's kind of amusing to peruse "The List " and laugh at things that just seem implausible or undesirable at this point.

?yawn ?- the game is not dead ,far from it
I never said it was -.-

Regardless, make believe solutions don't solve anything. Real solutions are what you need ;)
[Jun 11, 2013 11:52:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Miley1

You also forgot the monthly themed (stupid) sloops. After awhile they repeat their same ideas. How about they make the same sloop themes, for lets say, WB's, WF's, and GF's?

?yawn ?- the game is not dead ,far from it . Lots of us still enjoy the game . You make the game for others to enjoy .If you find a decent crew and help out ,they will help you.

Be active ,do something .

Activity is the key.

The game is dead. When I joined in 2007 I was like, YAY NEW GAME TO TRY WOO SO EXICTED! Lets fast foward 5 years to 2013. Ya, they've made it for the iPad, whats the big deal, waste more time on Y!PP? (I think to attract its old players). The developers are really running out of ideas sadly, the worst mistake they made was merge the oceans.
Emerald Ocean
I hate Kaltrina
Giamia says, "whats the cheapest familiar besides a rat"
Ladyhollie greeter chats, "the guy who does the shiny voice in treasure haul...is it the same one from the outback commercials
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Miley1 at Jun 23, 2013 5:39:39 PM]
[Jun 23, 2013 5:33:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AOL LOOOOOOOOOL    LOL? [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

the worst mistake they made was merge the oceans.

I have to disagree with you on this one. The single oceans were declining, and at the time the only option was to merge them. It may seem to you looking back it was a mistake, but it really wasn't considering everything.
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[Jun 23, 2013 7:00:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

I do think ocean merge was a VERY bad idea esp for the comod issue. But I have made some great cobalt friends!

I don't think the ocean is dead, yet. Cerulean to me has been quite active...maybe I just have wonderful active hearties!

It really is what you make of it.
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[Jun 23, 2013 7:02:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

I have to disagree with you on this one. The single oceans were declining, and at the time the only option was to merge them.

If you think the population levels justified the mergers, then you should be arguing strongly that the oceans should be merged again. After all, the merged ocean population levels today aren't that much higher than the old oceans were.

Merging was *NOT* the only option, and I think it was a bad option. It took a lot of work and YPP got very few new features that year because of it.

OOO would have done much better doing things that would help the game function with a lower population levels and to stop the decline.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Jun 23, 2013 7:55:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karnisov

Algol wrote: 

OOO would have done much better doing things that would help the game function with a lower population levels and to stop the decline.

this.
Karnisov
flinging poo on the forums because its more fun than playing your broken game
[Jun 24, 2013 7:52:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bailet

If they just visited the Game Design thread and just put them on the list or Anti-List would give me much more faith in the game knowing they pay attention.

I still want puzzle comps by players :(
Clotho tells ye, "did you hide the skellies this time?"
OM MESSAGE: Complaining the on-duty OM will only result in another flurry of eggs being sent out into the YPP world. Go #TeamPurple!
Dalnoth's Favorite Pirate
[Jun 24, 2013 3:57:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MSpartans

If they just visited the Game Design thread and just put them on the list or Anti-List would give me much more faith in the game knowing they pay attention.

I still want puzzle comps by players :(

Puzzle comps by players? That's not too hard, if you mean player-run. Just contact Squishat on Emerald ;)
Searching for Black CI Trinks

Huntard
Aug 12, 2011
Av by Diagram
[Jun 24, 2013 10:16:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mari_

Its just time for YPP 2
Calamarie - now also in Obsidian flavour!
Dignity - Emerald

"Always remember... Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots."

The Shadow is in my very core ;)
[Jun 25, 2013 12:43:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lexeous

I have to disagree with you on this one. The single oceans were declining, and at the time the only option was to merge them.

If you think the population levels justified the mergers, then you should be arguing strongly that the oceans should be merged again. After all, the merged ocean population levels today aren't that much higher than the old oceans were.

cough malachite
[Jul 14, 2013 8:38:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chavez67

Is it just me or have major gameplay releases over the last few years become... rarer? Okay, it's a given that the Steam integration (August 2011) and the ocean merger (January 2012) take up a HUGE amount of time both before and after implementation as too will the integration of the tablet app (June 2013 if you want to risk a guess but it shouldn't take as long as the Adventure Islands).

I think these three things you mention are vastly more important to the survival of the game over the long term than adding new content.

And as such, I think the replacement of 'new content' effort with those three things over the last couple of years bodes better for the game long term than if they'd added Krakens but still weren't on Ipad or Steam.

I did it.
clarify
It was me.

[Jul 25, 2013 5:30:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
laladibla

Its just time for YPP 2

If only. If they can't even justify saving the decline of the original anymore, I don't think they're going to be attempting a second version any time yet.
Visionary/Visionarye - Coming soon to an ocean near you!

Mitchiie wrote:

"Yes. Snowwman is weird and Boyk is weird. They're definitely siblings. I just have to figure out who the sister is."

[Aug 5, 2013 6:35:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
daphne52

----
Crickket
Wargasm under the insanity
Collector of Loose Cannons

The road to addiction can be so much fun.
[Aug 5, 2013 10:11:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates