• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 40
Posts: 40   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4744 times and has 39 replies Next Thread
Bunnylaroo

X Marks the Spot [Win a Persimmon/Tan Parrot!][WINNERS!] Reply to this Post

Winners Announced!

X Marks the Spot - A Photography and Writing Contest

ENTRY THREAD

Who of us doesn't love the thrill of searching for buried treasure? Charting a course to a lonely islet, searching for the X that marks the spot, then digging with all of our might - it's one of the joys of being a pirate! So I got to thinking, wouldn't it be neat if there was treasure hiding near Xs in the real world? And that is what I would like you to find out.

This event has two parts:

Step 1: Find and Photograph an X

You need to find something in the outside world that looks like a letter X - crossed stems or tree branches, telephone wires, cracks in the ground - the choice is yours, but there are a few guidelines:

- It can't be a letter X written on a sign; the goal is to find an "unintentional X".
- You can't make the x yourself and photograph it: so no placing two sticks together on the ground and snapping a picture. If the X looks like it was staged, it will be disqualified. Trust me, once you start looking for Xs in the outside world, you'll find LOTS of them...
- Your photo should be posted as an image no larger than 700 x 700 pixels. In most cases, this will require you to resize your photo before posting it.
- Your photo must be taken by you for this contest. In order to prove that the photo is your own, you must include a link to an identification photo in your entry post. The identification photo should be a second picture of your X along with your hand with fingers crossed. Like this:

entry:

ID photo

Step 2: Write a story about the treasure you think is hidden near your X

What is it? Why is it there? Who put it there? Let your imagination run wild, but keep in mind:

- Your story must be 1,000 words or less as determined by http://www.wordcounttool.com/
- Although the event is open to pirates from all oceans, the story must be in English.
- Your story may include a title which will not count toward your word count (but please keep it under 15 words)
- You may edit your entry up until the deadline (11:59pm Pirate Time on Sunday, June 30), but entries edited after this time will be disqualified.
- If you plan on writing your story in another program, and copying and pasting it into the entry thread, it is often recommended that one use a plain text editor like Notepad to avoid the boxes and question marks that replace smart quotes. While some web browsers show smart quotes, it's a great idea to ask a hearty to look over your entry.

Once you've got your photo and your story, you can post them in the ENTRY THREAD. Your entry post should include:
- Your pirate name and ocean
- The photo of your X, posted as an image no larger than 700x700 pixels. (For instructions on how to use image tags, check out http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Howto:Post_an_Image)
- A link to your Identification photo
- Your story.

Judging:

Your photo will count for 40% of your total score and will be judged based on overall quality and presentation of the X.
Your story will count for 60% of your total score and will be judged based on originality, entertainment value, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.

Prizes:

1st place: Your very own Xenops (aka a persimmon/tan parrot familiar named Xenops) and an inscribed trinket
2nd place: A standard renamed Xebec and an inscribed trinket
3rd place: A Xanthic Big Cat pet (lion with a yellow collar) and an inscribed trinket
4th place: An assortment of "X marks the spot" furniture (Pirate flag, crossed swords, treasure chest) and an inscribed trinket.

The Deadline for this contest is Sunday, June 30 at 11:59 PM Pirate time. Go forth and find the X that marks the spot!

One entry per pirate please :)
----------------------------------------
Bunnylaroo of Sage Emerald

[Edit 4 times, last edit by Bunnylaroo at Jul 4, 2013 10:19:18 AM]
[Jun 1, 2013 8:44:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
khaloda2

Re: X Marks the Spot [Win a Persimmon/Tan Parrot!] Reply to this Post

The sign should be from the same tree or it may be 2 trees make X from certain view ?
Lodaz meridian
I AM THE PRESIDENT
[Jun 4, 2013 7:16:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

The sign should be from the same tree or it may be 2 trees make X from certain view ?

Good question! The two parts of the x don't actually have to be touching, they just have to look like an x from the angle you take the photo. So yes, it may be 2 trees that make an x from a certain view :)

[Jun 4, 2013 7:27:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
khaloda2

I read the identification way quickly and didn't look at the image as I thought it's just an image and identified the pic with my finger tips up would it be counted?
Lodaz meridian
I AM THE PRESIDENT
[Edit 1 times, last edit by khaloda2 at Jun 6, 2013 2:25:14 AM]
[Jun 6, 2013 2:18:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

I read the identification way quickly and didn't look at the image as I thought it's just an image and identified the pic with my finger tips up would it be counted?

I'm not sure what you mean by "with fingertips up", but if you mean you took the picture with your fingers crossed palm side up, then it's fine. I just happened to have taken my ID photo of the back of my hand, with fingers crossed.

Basically, as long as the ID photo has your X and your hand with a reasonable attempt at crossing your fingers, it will count.

[Jun 6, 2013 8:37:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
khaloda2

my fingers aren't crossed and i can't take the picture again as i founf that place by luck :( ...
Lodaz meridian
I AM THE PRESIDENT
[Jun 6, 2013 9:21:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

my fingers aren't crossed and i can't take the picture again as i founf that place by luck :( ...

I'm afraid I have to be pretty firm on the ID photo, as it's the only way I can tell that the photo was taken for this contest. I made it crossed fingers instead of, for instance, a card with your pirate name and the year, because I thought it would be easier that way.

That said, you can PM me what you took as your ID photo and I will consult the judges and see what they think (hope that's ok with you judges <3)

[Jun 6, 2013 10:15:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
khaloda2

OK. What if none joined the event except 1, what will happen? Does he take the 2 prizes? XD
Lodaz meridian
I AM THE PRESIDENT
[Jun 6, 2013 2:22:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

OK. What if none joined the event except 1, what will happen? Does he take the 2 prizes? XD

Well if only one person enters, I will be a sad bunny.

But in the event that only one person enters, only the first prize will be given.

[Jun 6, 2013 3:32:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sioban09

I'm afraid I have to be pretty firm on the ID photo, as it's the only way I can tell that the photo was taken for this contest. I made it crossed fingers instead of, for instance, a card with your pirate name and the year, because I thought it would be easier that way.

That said, you can PM me what you took as your ID photo and I will consult the judges and see what they think (hope that's ok with you judges <3)

My pic is kinda farther away and you can see most of my fingers crossed (I mean it's OBVIOUS that it's my fingers crossed) but it doesn't have any of my hand in it.. is that close enough or do you need a link PM'd?

OH! And can we enter more than once?
Sioban
SO of Abundant Addictions
Royal of Total Effin Chaos
Emerald (main ocean)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sioban09 at Jun 6, 2013 3:52:19 PM]
[Jun 6, 2013 3:51:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

My pic is kinda farther away and you can see most of my fingers crossed (I mean it's OBVIOUS that it's my fingers crossed) but it doesn't have any of my hand in it.. is that close enough or do you need a link PM'd?

OH! And can we enter more than once?

As to the ID photo, as long as I can tell there are crossed fingers, it's fine. :)

As to the entries, one per pirate please :) I'll edit the main post.

[Jun 6, 2013 4:12:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
b0nde00

Quick Q.

Let's say I posted my entry today and such and then after a few days (before the deadline) I saw an award winning X.

Is it okay I edit my first post to change my entry?
Deadcode - Emerald

Eating ears since 1969
[Jun 7, 2013 1:45:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Quick Q.

Let's say I posted my entry today and such and then after a few days (before the deadline) I saw an award winning X.

Bunnylaroo wrote: 
- You may edit your entry up until the deadline (11:59pm Pirate Time on Sunday, June 30), but entries edited after this time will be disqualified.

DEXLA LOUISA MIDNIGHT on Cerulean
[Jun 7, 2013 6:02:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

Just to clarify, the stories can be whatever the heck we want, not just particular to the pirate world, so long as they relate to the picture? :)
Wayfarer of Meridian, formerly Malachite.
Wuppypuppy of Cerulean :)
I make avatars.
[Jun 7, 2013 8:09:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

Just to clarify, the stories can be whatever the heck we want, not just particular to the pirate world, so long as they relate to the picture? :)

As long as the story relates to the x and the treasure which is hidden there, it can be whatever you want :) So it doesn't necessarily need to be related to the pirate world, but it does need to relate to the x and to a treasure.

[Jun 8, 2013 10:18:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
khaloda2

can u plz check my ID photo cuz if i can't join with it i'll try to find another X :(
Lodaz meridian
I AM THE PRESIDENT
[Jun 10, 2013 6:49:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

Dexla wrote: 

Quick Q.

Bunnylaroo wrote: 

Dexla is correct...sorry, totally forgot to comment on that. You are welcome to upload a different X if you run across a more spectacular one :)

khaloda2 wrote: 
can u plz check my ID photo cuz if i can't join with it i'll try to find another X :(

I've sent you a PM.

[Jun 10, 2013 8:29:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

Just one week left to find your X!

[Jun 23, 2013 2:47:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

This is your last weekend to find the X that marks the spot! Great entries so far :)

[Jun 29, 2013 2:12:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sara_Sparrow

Am I right in thinking only the entry photo has to be 700x700? The ID photo can be larger since it's only linked?
Sarahsparrow of Cerulean
Captain of Barnacle for Brains
Lady of Riot

[Jun 29, 2013 6:34:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

Am I right in thinking only the entry photo has to be 700x700? The ID photo can be larger since it's only linked?

That's right :)

[Jun 29, 2013 7:05:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

Also, since the word count tool I linked in the first post is down, I'll be using http://www.wordcounter.net/

[Jun 29, 2013 7:07:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

Just over an hour left to get those last minute entries :)

As my head will be buried in my pillow (without any X to mark the spot, LOL) at deadline, this is your friendly reminder that any entry posted or edited after June 30 at 11:59:59 PM will not be vaild.

Can't wait to read through the lovely entries!

[Jun 30, 2013 10:48:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

Thank you to everyone who participated! I really enjoyed reading your stories, and am proud to be part of such a creative group of scallywags! I hope you had as much fun finding your X as I had seeing the photos! Difficult as you all made it, we had to pick winners, so without further ado, here are the results:

Honorable Mentions , who will receive a set of Notebooks (for sketching treasure maps) and an inscribed trinket, are:

Leyasaurus of Emerald
Otiss of Emerald
Pillowaddict of Emerald

Runners Up , who will receive a Desktop map, a Pile o' loot, and an inscribed trinket, are:

Faeree of Emerald
Siobhan of Emerald
Sweepea of Meridian

In 4th place, winning a furniture package (Treasure chest, crossed swords, pirate flag) and an inscribed trinket, is Gurndigarn of Emerald.

In 3rd place , winning a Xanthic Big Cat pet (lion with a yellow collar) and an inscribed trinket, is Sarahsparrow of Cerulean

In 2nd place , winning a standard-renamed Xebec (rename awaiting approval ;P) and an inscribed trinket, is Boggybloo of Cerulean.

And in 1st place , winning a Persimmon/tan parrot named Xenops and an inscribed trinket, is Catalinna of Emerald.

Winners, please verify that your pirate name and ocean are correct. For some of you I had to use the information in your signatures.

HUGE thanks to my judges...you guys are MY hidden treasure (lol). And a big thank you to Clotho for her help and support!

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Bunnylaroo at Jul 4, 2013 10:21:03 AM]
[Jul 4, 2013 10:17:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Catalinna

Thank you so much!! I really enjoyed this event and appreciate the opportunity to enter. :)

-Catalinna from Emerald
[Jul 4, 2013 10:54:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BoggyBloo

Great writing contest! Loved it!

Thank you Bunnylaroo! (And dun worry about Bob....I'm over him) ;)
Boggybloo - Cerulean
Blooregard everywhere else.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
- H.L. Mencken

[Jul 4, 2013 3:16:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

Prize list has been sent to the lovely Clotho.

The Xebec will be named "Treasured Eksi". :)

[Jul 4, 2013 4:21:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phamy

NOO I forgot to post it...
Well gl all
[Jul 5, 2013 2:22:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hmkanj

I had fun looking for the X and writing the story
Thanks for the event and the laptop...erm, I mean, notebook. >XD
Pillowaddict from Emerald Ocean
[Jul 5, 2013 3:46:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
schubert3

Thank you very much!

Sweepea
Meridan
[Jul 5, 2013 7:06:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 40   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates