• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 11
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1249 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
Kyndrei

Any advice? Reply to this Post

So, I'm an older player... Thinking it's been about 5 years since my first pirate on PP.. Do you guys have any advice for someone who just absolutely stinks at the puzzles? (Saying this, I've tried everything from videos, tip pages, tutorials, pretty much anything I could think of) I'm not looking for advice on getting better at the puzzles, I've tried a lot. But just some advice on what else I could do on PP for PoE. (I still enjoy puzzling even though I stink, but I just lose poe and can't get on any good SMH or HS.)

Thanks!
[May 31, 2013 10:22:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Winklecat

Re: Any advice? Reply to this Post

I sympathize. I too am an older player and there is no way that I can achieve the speed that some younger players can, especially in puzzles like sword fighting and patching. However, some puzzles are less speed based than others. So studying the tutorials and learning the relative importance of speed can be very useful.
The crafting puzzles generally are less speed oriented in their scoring. A labour badge and thoughtful job taking can provide a steady source of income. And the shop keeping or. Merchant games (not puzzles precisely, but still a game) can be very rewarding.
As for the lure of smh, for every great trip there seem to be several poor ones. No one talks about them much though! And how great is that great trip when averaged over the total amount of time spent in port loading?
Blockades are a good way to make Poe even if you are not an elite puzzler.
One of the good things about puzzle pirates is that it does have puzzles that appeal to different ways of thinking. So do the puzzles you enjoy the most.
If all else fails, be good at the social puzzle and you will be included in things because you are fun and reliable and don't tart about everything.
----------------------------------------
Winklecat
SO of The Bootleggers on Emerald
Royal and occasional monarch of The End
[May 31, 2013 11:53:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyndrei

Yea, I'm okay with just puzzling for fun, but being good at it just gives other players any advantage to getting things in tournys and such, and I just want to find a good way to make some poe when i'm not great at puzzling. ^.^

I don't currently have the money for a labor badge, so that is out for now.

What exactly are merchant games?
[May 31, 2013 1:05:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

Define 'sucks'. Because most ways to make PoE require you to be at least moderate at at least one puzzle.

Running voyages requires you to be decent at bnav. This isn't a puzzle in the normal sense and it's not a speed puzzle, so you could be good at it, but I'd guess you've tried that as it's the obvious thing to have a go at.

Trading requires you to be good (consistent Excellent) at dnav, ideally, or failing that sail/rigs. This includes running a forage operation (you need to move the fruit), running commodities (bulky or small), gem running etc.

Winning on the tables requires you to be good at a carousing puzzle. Have you tried drinking and (non-turbo) TD? These games do not require reactions.

Running a shop requires you to be decent at the relevant labour puzzle (everyone has to do a bit of self-supply and it's hard to run a profitable shop with no expert labour), unless you can get friends to do it for you. However the actual running doesn't require puzzling.

Inn trading doesn't require any puzzles, just social hustle, and some startup capital.

If you have no money right now, though, you're going to have to suck it up and job on pillages to at least earn enough to get on the ladder.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[May 31, 2013 1:26:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

You can trade without dnav or being good at sails/rigging. You probably have a higher chance of getting engaged in the first couple LP's, but once you understand evading you're pretty safe after that. Sloops are easy to learn to solo, for bigger ships you can set the voyage to trade and pay some puzzlers.

Trading can include forage & fruit running, checking sell/bid ticket/buy prices at different islands and moving whatever between them.

I have some fruit lying around on Meridian from old foraging days, if you would like to have a go :)
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[May 31, 2013 2:30:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Uncleal5

Hearts, spades and poker are all ways that you could try to make money. In addition you could learn to trade at the inn-buy low, sell high.
Uncleal on Viridian

Ye aint nothing but a Homunculus!
[May 31, 2013 2:36:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Yea, I'm okay with just puzzling for fun, but being good at it just gives other players any advantage to getting things in tournys and such, and I just want to find a good way to make some poe when i'm not great at puzzling. ^.^

Depending on the ocean you're on, most Saturdays there are decent-paying blockades going on-- even if you're pulling in poor-to-fair most of the time, you can make decent money if the base pay is high enough. (For example, a 3000 PoE/segment should pay out 1500 to 2000 for poor-to-fair performance-- totalling 8-10k per hour.)

And, of course, there's always the possibility of buying doubloons for cash. You don't necessarily have to sell them-- just being able to buy stuff without worrying about delivery fees can take some of the worries out of the game.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[May 31, 2013 2:37:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyndrei

I'm on emerald, so snowpixie, thanks but I couldn't use them :P

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to try a few out and see how I do ^.^
[May 31, 2013 2:53:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

You can trade without dnav or being good at sails/rigging.

If you aren't good at any of them, you won't make full speed fast enough and you are likely to get engaged. Losing 10% of your cargo wipes out any profit, even if you only get engaged once.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Jun 1, 2013 3:52:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squishat

Interesting that you should raise this question, as a few days ago, Tinnitus wrote this excellent guide for what to do when you're sick of being a jobber for our blog.

It pretty much outlines all your options, and some of them don't really require you to be excellent at puzzling. You do need to have a basic knowledge of how things work together, though.

You should check out the other guides too, and hope you find it useful!
Hellogoodbye says, "Squishat - Pro rock sinker."
on Emerald

===
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Squishat at Jun 1, 2013 4:30:15 AM]
[Jun 1, 2013 4:26:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bailet

Look at the leader boards of puzzles you are interested in and hit them up for questions. It worked for me on several puzzles and most likely they will answer your questions if they aren't busy!
Clotho tells ye, "did you hide the skellies this time?"
OM MESSAGE: Complaining the on-duty OM will only result in another flurry of eggs being sent out into the YPP world. Go #TeamPurple!
Dalnoth's Favorite Pirate
[Jun 9, 2013 5:20:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates