• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 49
Posts: 49   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3901 times and has 48 replies Next Thread
PirateYoHo90

Dress a Pet Event [WINNERS ANNOUNCED] Reply to this Post

Spanish translation
German translation

Some extra pictures: A B C D E F G H I J
Bonus Video: (failed attempt to dress other cat)

The Dress a Pet Event is inspired by my cat, Missy, and new kitten, Mittens. It is a very simple and straightforward event -- dress your pet as a pirate. You must dress your pet as a pirate with at least 4 accessories, 2 of which should be crafted by you from scratch!! For instance the pictured hook is crafted by foil and the pictured eye patch is a cutout paper.

Prizes:
First place:
-a sloop, black cat and a pig, a clay avvie by Apolline AND a digital avvie by Pixelpixie

Second place:
-Grey dog and grey puppy, and a drawn avvie by Apolline

Third place:
-Tan dog and a drawn avvie by Apolline

Fourth place:
Grey cat

Avvie information:
-Must be of you and your entered pet
-May take 3-6 weeks for delivery
-must be claimed by July 31, 2013

Rules:
1) Your pet must not be abused for this event!!!! No hissing, scratching or biting allowed
2) Get creative. Feel free to use any animal. Compliant parrots, cats, dogs, reptiles, bunnies, etc are all acceptable.
3) Your pet must be dressed up as a pirate. He or she must have a minimum of four accessories. For instance, my cat pictured above has a eyepatch, hat, hook, coins, and whistle. Two of your accessories must be home-made.
4) Your entry must include a name card so I know your pet is really yours. The namecard should include your pirate name, ocean, and the year (2013).

Your entry should include:
-a name-card with your pirate name, ocean, and year
-2 minimum and 6 maximum pictures of your pet with his or her costume on
-a brief summary of your ideas, work ethic, etc
-your pets name, age, species, and gender

Judging:
1) Judging will take between 1-3 weeks
2) You will be judged based on creativity, variety, uniqueness and photo clarity.
3) There will be more then one opinion so dont just try to please me :)

Entry thread: here

Winners announced!
----------------------------------------
Tinycat on Cerulean
Clotho tells ye, "those have to happen naturally, one can't force genius to spawn!"
Hera tells ye, "Fake me!?"
Galene tells ye, "*me steals your choco monkey*"
[Edit 8 times, last edit by PirateYoHo90 at Jul 9, 2013 7:28:16 PM]
[May 22, 2013 7:02:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PirateYoHo90

Re: Dress a Pet Event [Deadline June 30] Reply to this Post

This post is reserved for Q&A

Are you allowed multiple entries? Nope. However....

If you have multiple pets and you dress them all up do they have to be in the same entry? In your entry post you may include 6 maximum and 2 minimum pictures for me to see. One entry post per person so it doesn't get too confusing. If you decide to dress up more then one pet, it is preferred that you have at least one of those pictures of the dressed up pets together. On that note, I would love to see more than one pet dressed up!

If I do multiple pets, can I use 4 total accessories? No! Each pet must have 4 accessories and must be treated as his or her own fluffy/slimy entrant.

Can I use a dead animal...such as a fish? Nope, sorry.

My camera shots are always blurry because it's not one of these modern super-69-megapixels one. Because of that, it's possible to score lower? I also dont have a 69 megapixel one. I believe 10 megapixels still shoots pretty clear. Here are examples of what I mean:

The first picture I found on the internet. I can barely tell that its a cat at all. It is very unlikely this type of picture would be chosen. The second picture however, taken on my cell phone, is somewhat clearer. Despite that, you still cant see many details and this type of shot is good only for simple pictures. Picture number 3 was taken with my camera (not so fancy the $70 walmart kind) but you can see the minuscule details of the cat. Picture 2 would be chosen only if the ideas within it were very worthwhile. Despite that, picture 3 would be chosen over picture 2 if the ideas were just as good. Let me know if that makes sense its hard to explain

What does 'photo clarity' exactly mean? It means I can tell what you took a picture of. Ask yourself: is this picture blurry? Can I see the details (doesnt have to be clear to the point of seeing a piece of dust)?

What 'variety' means in this case? Variety means that you are able to use a different items then what is obvious. While I encourage you to use the obvious items like peglegs, patches, and starfishes, the entrant should be able to make those accessories unique. For instance, I used foil for a hook. How can you make your accessories be personalized in something that only you would think of?

Should the photos be unedited? Or is it ok to edit (i.e. by applying an "artistic" filter or by sharpening a slightly blurry photo)? Thats a really great question!! As long as your not using the editor to dress the pet up, it does not matter. My pics above are edited but you can still tell they are yohoho pirate-cats.
Tinycat on Cerulean
Clotho tells ye, "those have to happen naturally, one can't force genius to spawn!"
[Edit 5 times, last edit by PirateYoHo90 at May 27, 2013 9:16:07 PM]
[May 22, 2013 7:03:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

whoohoo!!! So glad to see this event ^ cant wait to see peoples entries!!! I dont have a pet (yet) BUT my dad said as soon as we moved into our NEW home (hopefully sooner than later) he will buy us a brand new puppy!!!! (a golden noodle) and then Ill have all sorts of piratey picures of the fluffball!!!
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[May 22, 2013 9:21:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

Golden Noodle! made me giggle!

I have one (a goldendoodle - not a labradoodle) named Earl. I just might try and dress him up. He is going to eat whatever I put on him though.

This will be fun!
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!

Avatar by the very talented Anacute
[May 23, 2013 8:23:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

haha its supposed to be golden doodle ... ^_^ and yea my dad has one called Brutus...such a gentle big dog that loves my kidlings!
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[May 23, 2013 8:38:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

hehe
Is it bad that I cheered for the kitten in the video?
"i ain't wearin' dat! i eats it, nom nom. rawr!"
<3 kittens
DEXLA LOUISA MIDNIGHT on Cerulean
[May 23, 2013 8:45:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

I predict that my lovely Golden Retriever will patiently let me dress him in whatever I want, and then gleefully roll around in the dirt and ruin it all before I get a photo. My other sweet mutt is a heavy sleeper though, so hmmm....
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

[May 23, 2013 1:02:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
maiooch

lol HMMM this should prove interesting I have 4 victims pets available...but I'm thinking only the one dog/cat may be able to sit still long enough ...though either or will need a handler while photos are being taken so hopefully mystery hands within photos would be "ok" in order to hold them still :D.
Rhodanite of Cerulean formerly of Midnight
Queen of Bedlam
[May 23, 2013 3:19:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PirateYoHo90

@Booful -- lol yayyy I hope you can get that dog before contest ends!!! Heheh

@Seatexan - You'd better try!!! Dogs are more patient then cats arent they???

@Dexla - your not supposed to cheer for her D: She made my beatiful second attempt fail!! I bought a pirate ship and everything just for her!

@Herowena - try dressing them both up! Get a video of the ruining of the clothes lol

@Rhodanite - Feel free to have human paws in there but no human snouts!! Maybe you can dress both cat and dog up;)

@.@ never talked to so many people with @ before lol
Tinycat on Cerulean
[May 23, 2013 3:47:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Roleofspace

Just clarifying, Are you allowed multiple entries? or if you have multiple pets and you dress them all up do they have to be in the same entry?

Otherwise this should be fun :)
[May 23, 2013 5:11:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PirateYoHo90

Just clarifying, Are you allowed multiple entries? or if you have multiple pets and you dress them all up do they have to be in the same entry?

Otherwise this should be fun :)

Added this to Q&A section and edited Q&A section a little. Edited main post to reflect that you can include 6 picture maximum now due to concerns of multiple pets :)

Are you allowed multiple entries? Nope. However....

If you have multiple pets and you dress them all up do they have to be in the same entry? In your entry post you may include 6 maximum and 2 minimum pictures for me to see. One entry post per person so it doesn't get too confusing. If you decide to dress up more then one pet, it is preferred that you have at least one of those pictures of the dressed up pets together. On that note, I would love to see more than one pet dressed up!

If I do multiple pets, can I use 4 total accessories? No! Each pet must have 4 accessories and must be treated as his or her own fluffy/slimy entrant.

Can I use a dead animal...such as a fish? Nope, sorry.
Tinycat on Cerulean
[May 23, 2013 5:56:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

I have questions.

2) You will be judged based on creativity, variety, uniqueness and photo clarity.

2) My camera shots are always blurry because it's not one of these modern super-69-megapixels one. Because of that, it's possible to score lower? If that's not the case, what does 'photo clarity' exactly mean? What 'variety' means in this case?
3) I can't give you cookies or tell you how pretty you are?

I don't have pets and I'm not brave enough to try and tame the wild ones. My neighbors and friends are not fans of dressing pets up so I guess I'll need to capture a spider.
For torture.
Sizzly of Emerald.

Buying Lexicon's and Ringer eggs.
[May 27, 2013 1:04:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

I just use my phone...and the images come out fine (great really). I think it's only 8 megapixels.

2) I think if you have a black cat, and dress it all in black...and the lighting is not good...you will see a black "thing" and not the individual pieces you dressed your pet in.

3) She has other people helping her judge.

At least this is my take... I am sure Apolline will come clarify.
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!

Avatar by the very talented Anacute
[May 27, 2013 5:11:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PirateYoHo90

I have questions.

2) My camera shots are always blurry because it's not one of these modern super-69-megapixels one. Because of that, it's possible to score lower? If that's not the case, what does 'photo clarity' exactly mean? What 'variety' means in this case?
3) I can't give you cookies or tell you how pretty you are?

My camera shots are always blurry because it's not one of these modern super-69-megapixels one. Because of that, it's possible to score lower? I also dont have a 69 megapixel one. I believe 10 megapixels still shoots pretty clear. Here are examples of what I mean:

The first picture I found on the internet. I can barely tell that its a cat at all. It is very unlikely this type of picture would be chosen. The second picture however, taken on my cell phone, is somewhat clearer. Despite that, you still cant see many details and this type of shot is good only for simple pictures. Picture number 3 was taken with my camera (not so fancy the $70 walmart kind) but you can see the minuscule details of the cat. Picture 2 would be chosen only if the ideas within it were very worthwhile. Despite that, picture 3 would be chosen over picture 2 if the ideas were just as good. Let me know if that makes sense its hard to explain
What does 'photo clarity' exactly mean? It means I can tell what you took a picture of. Ask yourself: is this picture blurry? Can I see the details (doesnt have to be clear to the point of seeing a piece of dust)?
What 'variety' means in this case? Variety means that you are able to use a different items then what is obvious. While I encourage you to use the obvious items like peglegs, patches, and starfishes, the entrant should be able to make those accessories unique. For instance, I used foil for a hook. How can you make your accessories be personalized in something that only you would think of?
I can't give you cookies or tell you how pretty you are? You cannot give me cookies because I dont eat cookies sadly. However I appreciate the pretty comment. This bribery will not help you out in the contest ;)

I don't have pets and I'm not brave enough to try and tame the wild ones. My neighbors and friends are not fans of dressing pets up so I guess I'll need to capture a spider.
For torture.

Hehhheh no torture! You could always dress up a outdoor frog or bird. The guys at the pet store let me try to dress up their bunnies buut the rabbits wouldn't sit still.
Tinycat on Cerulean
[May 27, 2013 5:54:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Thanks for the answers. I get your example, but my camera is 1.5 or 2 megapixels which means that the images are always blurry and just horrible. Sadly I don't have an access to a better camera so oh well...might just need to skip this event unless I get my hands on something better (and an animal I dare to dress up ><).

Instead, I'll just post this random image found from the internet, full of cutenesssssss.

Sizzly of Emerald.

[May 27, 2013 6:34:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PirateYoHo90

Maybe you could ask a friend to borrow their camera? Or buy one of the cheap ones from walmart/ebay if you are usa! I got this canon 14 megapixel camera for $40. You need a camera for like...life so you can show all your kids and grandkids the fun things you did! lol

I feel like the harder part will be borrowing someones pet lol. A good pet to dress up is a turtle since they sit still. My petsmart had a lot of those

Good luck I really hope it works out :)))
Tinycat on Cerulean
[May 27, 2013 7:26:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

That was a really great explanation about the photography Appoline. There ought to be more on the subject. Perhaps it's time to start a thread in Mariner's Muse about Photography for Entries: Advice and Tips ;)
[May 27, 2013 7:46:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PirateYoHo90

That was a really great explanation about the photography Appoline. There ought to be more on the subject. Perhaps it's time to start a thread in Mariner's Muse about Photography for Entries: Advice and Tips ;)

How about this? Teehee
Tinycat on Cerulean
[May 27, 2013 8:14:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

Tutorial is really great! But it brings up a question:

For this particular contest, should the photos be unedited? Or is it ok to edit (i.e. by applying an "artistic" filter or by sharpening a slightly blurry photo)?
Bunnylaroo of Sage Emerald

[May 27, 2013 8:18:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PirateYoHo90

Tutorial is really great! But it brings up a question:

For this particular contest, should the photos be unedited? Or is it ok to edit (i.e. by applying an "artistic" filter or by sharpening a slightly blurry photo)?

Should the photos be unedited? Or is it ok to edit (i.e. by applying an "artistic" filter or by sharpening a slightly blurry photo)? Thats a really great question!! As long as your not using the editor to dress the pet up, it does not matter. My pics above are edited but you can still tell they are yohoho pirate-cats.
Tinycat on Cerulean
[May 27, 2013 9:12:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

Quick question: it says a maximum of six photos of the pet in costume, but can we include extra in-progress pictures and outtakes? Because even if it doesn't count toward the entry, i'd like to show off my kitty begging for treats in her pirate outfit :P

[Jun 4, 2013 10:04:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Quick question: it says a maximum of six photos of the pet in costume, but can we include extra in-progress pictures and outtakes? Because even if it doesn't count toward the entry, i'd like to show off my kitty begging for treats in her pirate outfit :P

If she doesn't allow you, I request they be sent personally to my PM box :D
[Jun 4, 2013 10:31:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

CC me! :)
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

[Jun 4, 2013 12:35:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PirateYoHo90

CC me! :)

Eheheh I loved your cat;) I prefer more photos, the more the merrier! But dont go overboard with multiple pictures that are the same type or 15+ pictures that I'd have to sort through. I find I do that a lot for contests o.O

I'd rather an entry have more photo's then less, especially in case the quality isn't so good
Tinycat on Cerulean
[Jun 4, 2013 2:31:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

3) Your pet must be dressed up as a pirate. He or she must have a minimum of four accessories. For instance, my cat pictured above has a eyepatch, hat, hook, coins, and whistle. Two of your accessories must be home-made.

I have another question (big surprise). Would these items count as 'accessories':

- cookies
- cake
- medals
- presents
- pies
- fans
- (decorated) eggs
- etc

See where I'm going? Yes, they're in-game items so they fit in the piratey theme, whether those are trinkets or furniture items in our puzzled pirate world. They also *could* be considered as accessories - unless you don't allow us to stretch the rule this far. Most of them can be home-made, except for eggs (I don't know any human being who can lay eggs but plenty who can surely decorate them).
Sizzly of Emerald.

[Jun 4, 2013 3:02:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PirateYoHo90

? = what???

I hope you get what I mean with the answers next to the items heheh. I'm excited to see all this fancy food. Your family is going to be having a yummy desert coming up soon ;-)

- cookies Stacked together like the trinket?
- cake Pirate cake ;)
- medals ?
- presents that sounds very piratey but make sure it looks like the ones in game
- pies maybe with a hook coming out or something?
- fans fans?
- (decorated) eggs yes, in a piratey fashion. For instance the eggs made in game
- etc Hmmm I would like at least 2-3 (2 if you really cant, 3 is preferred) of the accessories to be worn by the pet because after all it is a dress a pet event :)
Tinycat on Cerulean
[Jun 4, 2013 3:50:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

Eheheh I loved your cat;) I prefer more photos, the more the merrier! But dont go overboard with multiple pictures that are the same type or 15+ pictures that I'd have to sort through. I find I do that a lot for contests o.O

I'd rather an entry have more photo's then less, especially in case the quality isn't so good

Ok, edited a couple more in from the treat sequence, plus a bonus video of her begging (half-heartedly LOL...she had already had a couple of treats at this point and wasn't too excited) for a treat in costume.

[Jun 4, 2013 4:17:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

? = what???

I hope you get what I mean with the answers next to the items heheh. I'm excited to see all this fancy food. Your family is going to be having a yummy desert coming up soon ;-)

- cake Pirate cake ;)
- medals ?
- presents that sounds very piratey but make sure it looks like the ones in game
- fans fans?
- (decorated) eggs yes, in a piratey fashion. For instance the eggs made in game
- etc Hmmm I would like at least 2-3 (2 if you really cant, 3 is preferred) of the accessories to be worn by the pet because after all it is a dress a pet event :)

Cookies, stacked/trinket? - If that makes it acceptable, then yes (though there are furniture items where gingerbreads are either on a tray or a plate).
Medals? - The trinkets (the 'Awards' that include both medals and pins).
Fans? - Either trinkets such as the Madam Yu Jian's 'hand fan' and currently up in the shoppe the 'Lacy Fan' or a furniture item 'Hanging fan'.

I think pets might just eat and mess up the food anyway. Except maybe a gold fish. I did encounter an ant and a spider today but I won't tell you how those meetings ended :P.
Sizzly of Emerald.

[Jun 4, 2013 4:19:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilymoon

Sounds like a fun event!

Q: What if I cannot get my pet to be still... even if I try to dress him while he's sleeping? Will a running away pet with the pieces of clothing falling off of him count? Note, I haven't tried to dress him yet, but I know from trying to get other things even near him he.. um ... well I'm tired of bleeding!

LOL our family kitten is extremely hyper/OCD. Yes, diagnosed by the vet and everything.
Faeree of Emerald~ Illustrious Wanderer on all oceans ~
Apollo wrote: 
(Is it wrong that I'm now just a tiny bit in love with Faeree's brother?)

[Jun 5, 2013 9:33:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Faeree [Link]  Go to top 
PirateYoHo90

? = what???

- cake Pirate cake ;)
- medals ?
- fans fans?

Cookies, stacked/trinket? - If that makes it acceptable, then yes (though there are furniture items where gingerbreads are either on a tray or a plate).
Medals? - The trinkets (the 'Awards' that include both medals and pins).
Fans? - Either trinkets such as the Madam Yu Jian's 'hand fan' and currently up in the shoppe the 'Lacy Fan' or a furniture item 'Hanging fan'.

I think pets might just eat and mess up the food anyway. Except maybe a gold fish. I did encounter an ant and a spider today but I won't tell you how those meetings ended :P.

Whatever you feel comfortable with you can use. But try to keep it so I know its piratey, YPP fashioned. So a more common item is the stacked cookie trinket since thats been around forever whereas the gingerbread placemat might be a newer addition since I haven't seen it.

Just be creative, I see your mind motors really working here :))

Sounds like a fun event!

Q: What if I cannot get my pet to be still... even if I try to dress him while he's sleeping? Will a running away pet with the pieces of clothing falling off of him count? Note, I haven't tried to dress him yet, but I know from trying to get other things even near him he.. um ... well I'm tired of bleeding!

LOL our family kitten is extremely hyper/OCD. Yes, diagnosed by the vet and everything.

Take a video!!!:) (and pictures) It might count if I could tell what the pieces of clothing are or you put them separately as well as the tried attempts on said pet.

However, do your absolute BEST to dress him up because thats what the contest is for. A tip might be to make tight clothes and work really hard to put them on then he would not be able to remove the clothing. Thats what I did for Missy (cover photo) and it looks like the entry in there already, Bunny's, also has pretty tight clothes. Dont murder the cat with clothes that are too tight, but if they are tight enough he will probably lie down and give up or run around backwards.

Buy him some special food and dress him after he ate a lot of it then he'll be really full! You have a cat that really diagnosed with cat hyperactivity? o.O ahhahah

---

It seems a cat is the preferred RL pet on puzzle pirates so far hehe. Watch this its one of the coolest kitty video's I didn't know a cat could freeze like that! Linky to cat video
Tinycat on Cerulean
[Jun 5, 2013 7:06:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 49   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates