• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 20
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1767 times and has 19 replies Next Thread
Haemus

I don't understand foraging Reply to this Post

Foraging frankly upsets me whenever I try to play it. My ratings literally range from incredible to booched without any obvious indication of why and my rating hovers just above able, I have no idea what makes special symbols appear and clearing multiple crates seems to be impossible on many boards. I am obviously missing the point completely so if anyone could explain the puzzle from the top... well I probably still won't understand, but it has to be better than randomly moving pieces and getting a random rating.
[May 21, 2013 9:53:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yargsire

Re: I don't understand foraging Reply to this Post

As with alot of puzzles, the more experience you get with the puzzle and the beter you get, the more large chests and crates you will recieve on your boards. Foraging (outside of cursed isles) is about getting as many crates and chests as possible, but getting them in combos to score more highly. Stacking chests and crates on top of one another is a great way to greaten yer duty report. It has been some time since I have done much foraging outside of the cursed isles, but I think focusing on stacked chests and crates should be a primary focus, havin them fall down at two or three at a time.

Hope I could help!
----------------------------------------
Meridian -Yargsire
Member of the easily distinguishable sad pirates club
Always Broke
[May 21, 2013 9:58:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Haemus

You can't move crates, how can you possibly control whether they're stacked?
[May 21, 2013 9:59:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yargsire

You can't move crates, how can you possibly control whether they're stacked?

Yer right, aside from the earthquake piece that can fall, you must rely on luck with where the crates fall. Whenever you get the possibility to combo yer crates and chests, take it unless it runs the risk of clogging yer board. Much of foraging is luck, but if you can make th best out of every board, you should be able to move on up.
Once again, i'm not the best when it comes to foraging advice, ahah
Meridian -Yargsire
Member of the easily distinguishable sad pirates club
Always Broke
[May 21, 2013 10:03:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
darkseid

You have to cover yourself for the foraging bug, basically AFTER the crates have fallen and cleared there needs to be a 'bilge' type of clear for the score to count. if you don't you basically have a lot of dead moves that got you no score dragging your score down considerably.

Crates fall randomly, there's no control but you can still set up combos, having crates fall at the exact same time scores more than them beign stacked.

Special pieces are random and mostly annoying, earthquakes are good for solving mistakes and swords can help with your score. Clear monkeys quickly and spades are only good at the top. so just clear them quick.

I also suggest youtube videos and because I'm here here's some foraging I did earlier today, I'm number 7 on ceruleans ult list and there were more errors than I like but it should help you see how I bring them down/

Always start from the edge nearest the side, or in some cases whichever side you want to chain out of. if a 3 wide is in the middle do the middle coloumn first.

I'm not the best at straight up writing guides, but if you ask questions (the more general the better tbh) I'll write out answers for you.
Darkseid, Cerulean.
Senior Officer of Under the Black Flag.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by darkseid at May 21, 2013 10:44:14 AM]
[May 21, 2013 10:41:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Haemus

I'd like to say those tips and the video are helpful, but I honestly still don't know what the thought process is in the slightest. I had a session just now which consisted of constant swearing as things cascaded in unintended ways which I had to spend an inordinately long time fixing, and at the end I got an incredible. This puzzle makes no sense.
[May 21, 2013 11:19:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Haemus

...actually after reading about the bug you mentioned I think that's the only difference between good and bad sessions. Furthermore so many people are hitting this bug that the scoring curve is crazy, as long as you don't trigger it you're guaranteed at least an excellent.
[May 21, 2013 11:43:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
thylawrence2

Foraging is bugged to hell. With more experience, though, you'll soon learn how to work around them.
All about Tothemoonn! of the Emerald Ocean

Artistic rendition of my face and upper body by the superbly skilled Xioch!
[May 21, 2013 12:37:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Haemus

This isn't really acceptable. Working around the bug is a puzzle in itself, but it's not the documented puzzle and the score curve shows that the majority of the ocean don't know about the bug or how to avoid it.
[May 21, 2013 1:25:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

It is beyond me as to why this "bug" is not fixed. It's not even confirmed or denied as a bug right?
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[May 21, 2013 1:28:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
darkseid

I had a session just now which consisted of constant swearing as things cascaded in unintended ways which I had to spend an inordinately long time fixing, and at the end I got an incredible.

Yeah you get better at
A: not making those (I still do, but hey!)
B: sovling ways to get out of it so you don't get into a bigger pickle.

And yes, that bug is not wrote down anywhere, I'm starting to think it should be added into the YPPedia as a bonus game feature because it's been around sinc eit's inception.

Honestly once you've got the bug sorted and some general experience you'll probably be able to hit ult, unless you just refuse to combo.
Darkseid, Cerulean.
[May 21, 2013 1:32:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Haemus

I'm not sure about ult, but I can certainly believe that legendary is very achievable without actually being good at the puzzle.
[May 21, 2013 1:48:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
darkseid

It's debatably the easiest puzzle to ult in, you don't even need all incs. just keep working at it and you'll get there. practice makes perfect, try to chain boards. one trick I've learned is if I've got a single 1x1 crate on the board I try to bring it down with 3 3's. if nothign else spawn I clear it off without a combo. usually get a good crate spawn afterwards.
Darkseid, Cerulean.
[May 21, 2013 1:59:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

It is beyond me as to why this "bug" is not fixed. It's not even confirmed or denied as a bug right?

The more I forage, the less I think it's a bug, and the more I think it's just the way the game scores.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[May 21, 2013 2:04:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Haemus

The more I forage, the less I think it's a bug, and the more I think it's just the way the game scores.

That's called Stockholm syndrome.
[May 21, 2013 2:13:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

That's called Stockholm syndrome.

Call it that if you want. But 1% of the scores have to end up being booches, and since foraging is an optional puzzle-- and one that really requires a badge, which most new players don't get-- there are almost no players so clueless that they buff out the scoring for the rest of us.

As near as I can tell, scoring is based heavily on what happens during moves where a chest is cleared, and very little on what happens on non-clear moves. I mean, I've had sessions where a chest got stuck in a serious way. So I spend 20-50 moves looking for that magical shovel/monkey/earthquake, yet still pulled in an excellent score. Therefore, if my theory is correct, clearing a chest without any chaining will score significantly less than even a single chain.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[May 21, 2013 2:35:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Haemus

Never mind, this puzzle still makes me want to break things. The harder I try, the harder I inevitably booch the board when I make an accidental break while setting up.
[May 22, 2013 3:33:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
darkseid

Never mind, this puzzle still makes me want to break things. The harder I try, the harder I inevitably booch the board when I make an accidental break while setting up.

I remember that stage, was a bad time. I suggest when you're setting up just slow down. spend a couple seconds scanning the near area for any other colours of 2 next to each other.
Darkseid, Cerulean.
[May 23, 2013 8:33:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Haemus

You have no idea how slowly I already play, I'm already taking ten minutes to fail to get the first clear because I booch the board then abandoning out of frustration.
[May 23, 2013 9:58:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Haemus

Okay, I was just having a bad few days. The puzzle's still very easy to booch (sometimes by not pressing "practice" when you have only one hour of labour) but it's also easy to get incredibles if you know about the strange scoring.
[May 23, 2013 5:16:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates