• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 15
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2001 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
Soulbunnies

Trading- Worried about PVP Reply to this Post

Hi everyone,

So i was looking around and found that trading could make some good poe. I was thinking about moving a merchant galleon around in the future , i just succesfully completed a sloop trade run today LOL. I realise that moving wood and iron around can be quite profitable.

Now i am thinking, what about Pvpers? According to wiki," Any player ship sailing can be PvP'd regardless of why they are sailing."

So i ask, Is PVP likely and is it easy to run away from?

Any suggestions for trading, tips?
[May 15, 2013 2:52:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Re: Trading- Worried about PVP Reply to this Post

So i ask, Is PVP likely and is it easy to run away from?

In my experience, PvP is rare and easy to run away from. In practice, the risk of losing stock to PvPers is far less than than brigands or markets changing between the time you buy and sell.

For trading, I highly recommend using YARRG ( http://yarrg.chiark.net/intro ), it is the best publicly available trading tool that I know of.

Lastly, I recommend sticking with a sloop. MGs are too big to move easily, you need several slaves hearties to help you move it. It is possible to solo a MB, but it is much more work than a sloop.
----------------------------------------
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[May 15, 2013 3:29:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

I run things all of the time and I am more worried about Brigands than I am PVP. If you do well at the Duty Navigation puzzle then you shouldn't have any issues if you are set to EVADE, or even TRADE.

A cutter is a really great vessel to make runs in if you have a few bulky items.

I solo Merchant Brigs quite often but only if I am going about 10 LPs. The damage will creep up on you.

When I move Merchant Galleons I need about 6-7 mates on board.

The Duty Navigation puzzle becomes extremely important for larger ships.

Good luck on your trade runs! :D
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[May 15, 2013 6:15:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bigie

If you can get renowned or higher in dnav you shouldn't have a problem moving a Mb. I haven't been pvpd in years and I do runs almost daily. I'd start out with a cutter though. They are really useful.
[May 15, 2013 6:47:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

I will echo the previous posters in regards to PVP risk. I am Legendary-Ultimate in Navigation and I used to nav all the time on trade runs as we moved fruit and gold. Now on the MG fruit runs I had to puzzle because my captain was a slave-driver smile but I realized on the gold runs that nobody ever tried to PVP me, so I just lazed in the crow's nest as my swabbies sailed top speed for me. It was really true that I had to worry more about turning away from brigands, and running away in sea battle if I should get caught; I don't recall once ever being hassled by a PVPer, and if that kind of thing had been in my blood, I would have preyed on exactly the same shipping lanes (Morannon-Lincoln-Wensleydale) because it was extremely popular for forage crews.
Retired as of August 2015.
Sic transit gloria mundi.
[May 15, 2013 1:46:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Soulbunnies

Ok it appears Pvp is quite dead.

What do you think of my idea to ship iron 90+ lps away for profit on a merchant galleon full with iron?

Would that tempt PVPers? Also, what would the average time be for 90lps distance, assuming MG and maybe 10-15 average jobbers, with great DNAV?

Edit.
One more thing, a single character biding 10 for 10000 iron will get it filled slower than 10 alts bidding 10 for 1000 iron each, is this correct?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Soulbunnies at May 16, 2013 12:48:48 AM]
[May 16, 2013 12:02:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

What do you think of my idea to ship iron 90+ lps away for profit on a merchant galleon full with iron?

Again, I would stick with sloops for a while. What you are thinking of doing would be a long haul on a big ship and you would be unlikely to be able to sell/use a MG full of iron quickly. I have shipped quite a few MBs full of iron 40-46 leagues, but even that took a few weeks to sell/use.

Also, what would the average time be for 90lps distance, assuming MG and maybe 10-15 average jobbers, with great DNAV?

See the yppedia article Ship#Ship_handling_and_station_performance. So, 1:40 per league times 90 leagues is 9000sec = 2.5 hours if you go full speed the whole time, never have to turn around, never get caught by brigands, instantly buy/sell stuff at each port, etc.

One more thing, a single character biding 10 for 10000 iron will get it filled slower than 10 alts bidding 10 for 1000 iron each, is this correct?

The number of pirates/alts makes zero difference on how quickly they fill, only the price and volume make a difference. See Market_bidding#How_market_bids_fill
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[May 16, 2013 3:58:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pixulayted

The number of pirates/alts makes zero difference on how quickly they fill, only the price and volume make a difference. See Market_bidding#How_market_bids_fill

Too lazy to dig up sweetiepiepi's post. But I'm pretty sure a lot of small bids fills like. 1 unit/day faster or something useless.
[May 16, 2013 11:42:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

See Market_bidding#How_market_bids_fill

Too lazy to dig up sweetiepiepi's post. But I'm pretty sure a lot of small bids fills like. 1 unit/day faster or something useless.

You have it backwards. Large bid tickets only fill a little faster than each of the small ones. See: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=190925
[May 16, 2013 12:22:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

90 LPs in a MG will take at least 3 hours. Is that really a good PoE/time investment? Margins on basic goods are pretty small, even if you give yourself a 1% loss (and that's one lost battle in 20 runs which is pretty good).
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[May 16, 2013 3:04:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pixulayted

See Market_bidding#How_market_bids_fill

You have it backwards. Large bid tickets only fill a little faster than each of the small ones. See: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=190925

I was wrong. But here is the post.
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=2192536#2192536
[May 16, 2013 7:54:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

90 Lps, wow...that is a long way. And you have to think about paying your jobbers. I actually pay 100 per LP when I move my MG (on the high side, but I seriously appreciate my jobbers). I only go 5 LPs. I need about 5-6 people along with the 4 bots...so its not too bad.

If you can solo a cutter, then I think you can make some nice profit on iron.
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[May 17, 2013 7:09:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vorky

Even when there were thousand of people online on an ocean, I rarely got PVPed when trading.
That is because usually you have very low manning (even soloing) when you are trading, and for them to PVP you they would have to have nearly as few people as you do, with isn't really enough for full out battle.
[May 17, 2013 3:24:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Soulbunnies

Hi, Thanks everyone for posting.

I have decided to just use a cutter instead and wait for my bids to fill slowly.

@wrs1864b Thanks for the great links :)
[May 19, 2013 4:36:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forestria5

I dnav on solo trade runs across Cerulean on cutters and sloops (depends on the bulkiness of the supplies). I have only been pvp'd once in the past year (which ended in a disengage because I know how to work my bots, lol).
As far as the bid tickets go, the only problem I have run into for bidding for a large quantity all at once is the fact that another pirate may not want to wait for such a large order to fill so they will outbid it which causes your large bid to fill even slower.
Forestria~~finished memming all oceans on 7/27/17:
Cerulean = 678
Ice = 136
Emerald = 670
Jade = 356
Opal = 295
Meridian = 653
Obsidian = 178
TOTAL = 2,966 league points
[May 29, 2013 12:29:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates