• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 6
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1383 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
squeezum

New Sword. Reply to this Post

I want to get a new sword. I like to sprinkled a lot and was deciding between Skull Dagger or a Saber. What are your guys' opinions on these or other swords I should consider?
[May 14, 2013 9:04:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

Re: New Sword. Reply to this Post

They are both great swords in my opinion. I personally use a Skull Dagger, but a saber is also good. You would be fine with either or. :)
----------------------------------------
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[May 14, 2013 9:09:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bigie

A skull dagger is probably your best bet unless you really take the time to learn how to use the saber. I can't tell you how many times I've played against people who end up killing themselves because they used their sword wrong. Pm me your ingame name and I can show you how I play if you want.
[May 15, 2013 6:55:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
darkseid

I'd say a skull is useful if you're trying to improve in SF, a saber can get you 'luck' wins, relying on a breaker shortage which will maybe give you an inflated ego and not be useful for improving.

Also, skull dagger for life, it's a good sword. Don't fall into the trap of ONLY sprinkling, it's got good mixxed attacks (strikes and sprinkles in the same strike) Just make sure you sprinkle more than strike.
Darkseid, Cerulean.
Senior Officer of Under the Black Flag.
[May 15, 2013 3:03:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pixulayted

I'd say a skull is useful if you're trying to improve in SF, a saber can get you 'luck' wins, relying on a breaker shortage which will maybe give you an inflated ego and not be useful for improving.

Also, skull dagger for life, it's a good sword. Don't fall into the trap of ONLY sprinkling, it's got good mixxed attacks (strikes and sprinkles in the same strike) Just make sure you sprinkle more than strike.

In top tier sword fighting, the saber is unbeatable when used correctly. If you are just starting out I would not recommend it.
[May 15, 2013 6:34:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Setsusa

The saber is a bit of a cop-out sword. A lot of people make it sound like it's really difficult to use properly, but it isn't. It's difficult to use properly consistently because it is less dependent on the player using it and the attack selection and more dependent on how certain attacks land on your opponent's board and how the piece sequence matches up to critical moments of a game. The saber will win you a lot of games by playing the same way that it will cause you to lose a lot of games. It doesn't teach you how to play the game, but it will give you a few wins.

The skull dagger on the other hand is much more reliant on your ability as a player. It's a difficult sword to use well because it's "best" use is physically impossible in a real game. You'll need to understand it's pattern and what you are sending to make it work well for you. Personally, I think the dagger is a really weak sword overall because I've dealt with playing against it so much and many dagger users start to use it weaker and weaker the more a game goes on. Many players have lots of trouble against daggers, though.

Really, the problem with sprinkling a lot is that it leaves your board more vulnerable than building strikes do, but it's still doable. Although falchion sprinkles can be very effective if used properly, if it's your main focus that would not be the sword for you. I'd say try out a dagger or a scimitar if you want to learn how to use a sword well and learn how to play the game better because they will give you more consistent results, versus a saber which will not.
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.
[May 26, 2013 7:30:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates