• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2113 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
dionysos_PP

Distinguished to Ultimate then back to Distinguished within 3 weeks? Reply to this Post

What is the likelihood of a player whom gunning rank has always been around Able to Distinguished for years to go up to Ultimate in 6 days?
Not very likely although not impossible, aye?

What then is the likelihood of this same player's gunning rank to drop from Ultimate back to Distinguished in 17 days?

The above is not hypothetical but is real

Anyone can improve their puzzling ability. That is undeniable and it is therefore possible for a player whose gunning rank has always been Able~Distinguished for years to go up to Ultimate in 6 days. But having attained such ability, how could that same player's gunning rank drop back to the usual Able~Distinguished within 17 days?

Could it be that this player uses some kind of gunning bot to rank up? And when not using the gunning bot, the rank goes back down to the player's real proficiency in that puzzle

Or could it be that this player shared account information and asked someone to help attain the Ult gun rank, but it then goes back down to the usual rank when the player guns on pillage/smh/flotilla/etc or participate in competitions which requires gunning

Both of which are bannable offense

Is it allowable to then name this player and providing evidence of such extreme rank movement in the gunning rank?
[May 14, 2013 4:49:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

Re: Distinguished to Ultimate then back to Distinguished within 3 weeks? Reply to this Post

It wouldn't be helpful to post it all over the forums. Simply complain the person to the OMs, and they can deal with it.
----------------------------------------
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[May 14, 2013 5:49:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

Re: Distinguished to Ultimate then back to Distinguished within 3 weeks? Reply to this Post

Hm guess this is my chance to complain about nastasiax o-o who changed accounts... wonder why é-e
Yumisa World Wide ;)
10 years in, still here, baby.
Can't find me? Im on Instagram!
[May 14, 2013 5:56:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.instagram.com/yumisaruka/ [Link]  Go to top 
Raider81

Why do you care....? I never understood why people would get upset if someone had a friend get them Ultimate. If people want the trophy and a friend gets it for them meh it's odd but nothing that should get other people upset.
Crip- Cerulean
Crip- Cobalt
Raider- Midnight
Raider- Azure

Galene tells ye, "Glad you have a sense of humor. Nice to give you a little trouble for all the trouble you have given us!"
[May 15, 2013 1:16:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bigie

I can get ultimate guns no problem. My stat usually hovers around renowned/master though just because of lazyness. Either way, why do you care about someone else's stats? They don't have any impact on you.
[May 15, 2013 6:52:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

I can get ultimate guns no problem. My stat usually hovers around renowned/master though just because of lazyness. Either way, why do you care about someone else's stats? They don't have any impact on you.

Thanks to the dynamic scoring system, they affect someone, which may or may not be you. But someone's rank went down each level this person got artificially raised.

More to the point, do you have any clue how many tells navvers get from people who swear that they're better than their stats show? Some of those promises are from people who point to their trophies. So you get this tell from a guy who swears he was just screwing around, and that's why his stats are so low, but see this trophy...?
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[May 15, 2013 1:53:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bigie

A duty report is all that is needed to tell if your gunner is competent.
And so what if another persons stat goes down because another ranked up. If you're mad your stat went down, get better. You can always get better at a puzzle if you put in the effort, except for maybe distilling if you've got q bad wrist.

I have tons of old pirates like this one that I've made just to get a feel of where my standings were.
http://emerald.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=aurax
It takes time but you will get better and better until eventually you can get ultimate or even #1 yourself. The only reasons the trophies are important is because it reminds you how much effort you put in be the in the top tier. What I'm trying to get at is, a trophy shouldn't mean anything to anyone but you.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by bigie at May 15, 2013 7:48:37 PM]
[May 15, 2013 7:32:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Provovative

A friend of mine was ult gunning thismorning, we've just finished a pillage and he's gone down to master...

I constantly go from able to master within a day too, I think you are being needlessly petty.
No allegiances.
Pirate for hire.
[May 17, 2013 5:11:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PhoenyxStar

Ult gunning to Able? Easy. Have to rescue yourself gun/navving. that tanks it rather fast
~ Phoenix or Danae

Depends on the colour of your ocean really.
[May 19, 2013 3:19:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TasiaChiba

Ult gunning to Able? Easy. Have to rescue yourself gun/navving. that tanks it rather fast

^THIS. This is precisely why many good gunners may have really bad scores. I know many who bnav and need guns and will ignore their gun scores so they can concentrate on navving and getting the guns as needed, or are station hoppers due to lack of pirates on board. I know many, many pirates who are excellent gunners, dependable, but suffer from "poor" stats for these reasons.

Heck, when I gun on the laptop my own have a tendency to go embarrassingly low, but I don't let it worry me.

Other reasons for able to ult are alts that haven't been used in a long time. some may get their alt stats to ult, but don't want to be bothered with gunning if they want to concentrate on other stats.

There are a myriad of logical, legitimate reasons why people's stats may fluctuate without any need to seek an unsavory reason for it.
Preyna on Cerulean~
[May 19, 2013 4:48:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

Someone who's never been above Dist for years and then suddenly spikes to Ult is almost certainly having a friend use their account to get an Ult trophy. Yes, you can trash your standing pretty badly by pillage gunning or gun-navving, but I'd think that most people who are capable of getting an ult would be offended enough by dropping to Respected from a stint of gun-nav that they'd quickly get it back up again.

That's technically against the rules, but unless you have good information that the person was botting as opposed to just letting a mate get them a trophy, I wouldn't bother reporting it. I don't do that myself because I want my trophies to actually be mine, but it's a pretty minor infraction.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[May 22, 2013 12:11:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fujiko

I have tons of old pirates like this one that I've made just to get a feel of where my standings were.

This is a bit of a side question.
How did this pirate get so many ultimate trophies without the corresponding incredible trophies?
Fujiko on Cerulean.
WTB: Mako ships, penguins, Neerie's prize-winning egg (a card suits one,) more of Greylady's sixth prize-winning eggs (the penguin one.)
[May 22, 2013 12:45:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
henryrules10

This is a bit of a side question.
How did this pirate get so many ultimate trophies without the corresponding incredible trophies?

Hyperranking by sailing between league points
Nickbush on every ocean (Jadebush on Jade -.-)

Native Cobaltean for life

http://www.youtube.com/user/NickBush24

Foraging scoring glitch: http://bit.ly/QEpApx
[May 22, 2013 1:13:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates