• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 8
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 937 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Soulbunnies

Pillage marathons. Reply to this Post

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding pillage marathons and booty ramps. According to yppidia , booty ramp increases according to successful pillages and also booty in hold.

Would it be a good idea for a crew to perhaps hold a 12-24 hour marathon pillage, with multiple awesome bnavers? Would the Poe earned be great? What are the consequences of not porting? After all, the booty will still be divided at the end.
[May 11, 2013 5:41:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Re: Pillage marathons. Reply to this Post

It wouldn't be a bad idea - crews have run marathon pillages in the past with great success. These days, however, you may find yourself having difficulty keeping the momentum going when it comes to getting jobbers...
[May 11, 2013 5:56:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Soulbunnies

I think jobbers would be available on a sloop or small ship perhaps, with a GM+ navigator? But would an elite pilly be > than a pillage marathon?, since that is what the GM+ navigator would prefer i guess...

I guess the best would be an elite pillage marathon lol
[May 11, 2013 5:59:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

The thing that is going to hurt you on a marathon pillage will be the jobber turnover. The booty ramp works when the same players stay aboard during multiple battles. Also, the way I understand it, the ramp will not go up, and up and up. It will be "calibrated" during the first few battles and go up for several battles after that. What you have to understand is that as booty accumulates on the ship, the risk of one loss increases to catastrophic proportions. Especially once you have a bucket or two of Kraken's Blood aboard. And even the best players lose once in a while. The difficulty is set so that you will eventually face an impossible opponent.

The best way to profit from a pillage is to choose the most difficult route, job very selectively, and retain your jobbers for the length of the pillage. Set a goal of, say, ten battles, or two units of Kraken's Blood, and port+divide as winners.

By the way, you can port all you want and this will not affect the ramp. It is booty division which resets it.
----------------------------------------
Retired as of August 2015.
Sic transit gloria mundi.
[May 11, 2013 9:33:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Momma_Wolf

My crew and I have run a couple marathon pillages in the past, and are considering one sometime later this year. I can't speak to the ramping, as we planned a port and divy for each arch we traveled (it was also our restock point). Jobber turnover, even several years ago, was a major hit on any ramping we might have had. and of course the divy in each arch reset us anyway. It did prevent that catastrophic loss LJ posted about.

If you're thinking about running a marathon pillage, I'd recommend you plan to run it for the FUN! You should also have lots of coffee, a very comfortable chair, and a lot of patience (or tranquilizers!) as it's a lot of work to set up and run.

If you're on Cerulean, I'd be happy to tell what we did for ours, if that'll help you run one.
Mommawolf, lurking on most oceans
Captain, Blackwolf Marauders of Midnight, now Cerulean
Queen, Victory Raiders of Midnight, now Cerulean

cmdrzoom said:

Anyone may demand answers of the gods.
Getting them is another matter.

[May 12, 2013 5:37:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

You will ramp up difficulty, not booty, until you lose, and then you'll go down again. The days of a booty ramp were over in about 2006.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[May 14, 2013 11:30:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hirsty

Ive always thought of doing a marathon pilly but shorter ones are just as effective if ye get the right jobbers for instance once managed to haul up 3 lots of kb on one sloop run...bout an hour/hour and a half
Hirsty on Cobalt Ocean
[May 14, 2013 1:03:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Soulbunnies

HEHE thanks for the offer on cerulean but im on Meridian :(

Anyway so conclusion is booty ramp is ineffective.

Im onto my next money-making idea, Trading.

Thanks for all the help guys :)
[May 15, 2013 2:58:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates