• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 56
Posts: 56   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 14331 times and has 55 replies Next Thread
laladibla

Something HAS to happen Reply to this Post

I haven't properly played YPP since maybe 2011 so I'm just coming on here to share some of my thoughts about what I've seen.

This game is rapidly losing it's playerbase. I am signed up to forums for games that don't exist yet with more "players" than Y!PP has.
Indeed, as well as losing it's playerbase, I hardly see any interaction between the developers and players except on major issues.

Now, I could just be stating the obvious, considering I'm sure this issue has been discussed at great length multiple times (it even was 2 years ago, and maybe long before that as well), but what the hell has gone wrong? Y!PP looks like an accident that has already happened.

I think YPP has been stagnant for a very long time now, and the Dev Team are probably not making a huge amount of money off of it either, so apart from "the spirit of the community", which is largely nonexistent, except for mostly old hands who've been playing this game for a few years or more, why would they be keeping YPP running?

IMO, I think the Dev Team should be considering closing YPP or finally starting afresh with the "Puzzle Pirates 2" idea that has been looming round the forums since as long as I can remember.

However, I'm sure I'll have many angry responses of people who will defend the game, OMs and everything about it till they're blue in the face. I agree. I was one of those people once.

Trouble is this MMO is not really succeeding anymore, and introducing small-time innovations that are hardly likely to make a difference in players is just showing that YPP is on the verge of falling beneath the surface of the vast ocean that is failing MMOs.

If you've ever read a thread about this OMs, I think it's time you considered something new.
----------------------------------------
Visionary/Visionarye - Coming soon to an ocean near you!

Mitchiie wrote:

"Yes. Snowwman is weird and Boyk is weird. They're definitely siblings. I just have to figure out who the sister is."

[May 4, 2013 2:03:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ytirri

Re: Something HAS to happen Reply to this Post

I agree with you that the playerbase over the years has greatly declined. I remember on the Hunter Ocean sometime in '09 when there was over 12K people living on our old main island of Aimuari, prior to the ocean merge there was only like five, now after I think it is around 4ish? Not entirely sure. Anyway though, I don't think just because there is a sharp decline in the game however that it means they still aren't making profit, and they should just close the game altogether. First off, YPP is run by a business that I'm pretty sure is out to make a profit, so obviously they are making some sort still, or we wouldn't be posting here. Also to say the devs haven't done anything over the time you have been gone is pretty wrong. Since I have been back they have introduced a whole new puzzle and even announced that they are working on a way to get YPP on the App Store for tablets, which I'm pretty sure you would see a lot of people come to the game from that. Also even the merge of the oceans is a development too, no was a pretty big feat when they did it. I think the devs are still coming out with stuff and try to even more frequently then they did before. However not many new players are joining the game and sticking around, and the majority of the playerbase I would say are all veterans of this game, which makes it hard to try to retain people once they have pretty much done everything the game has to offer. I don't think they should close the game altogether now either due to the projects they are working on, which I think in the tablet version, will bring a lot of new people to the game.
Kozzar,
Doing what I want when I want
Keep a weather eye on the horizon ;)
Redfeather says,"Dustin you just gave me a heart attack"
[May 4, 2013 3:30:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
laladibla

I don't really agree about the tablet idea. Although I think there is a chance PP could be successful off of the back of that, see how many people you can name who play a tablet mmo. I can't think of any, and I have many many gamer friends.

As much as it's nice to believe that PP will be a success from a release on tablet, it's still going to be a gamble. We don't know that it will be a success, or even how many people will even play it.

Of course, YPP is probably profitable for OOO now, but considering how small a playerbase it has, and considering how much it is shrinking, do you not agree that they are probably losing profits (rapidly) in comparison to what they were before?

This is why I say YPP is on the verge of sinking, and no amount of small time updates and microcurrency ploys are going to stop it, but slow it down for maybe a fraction of the time.

I hate to be a sceptic, but although I can understand that there is hope for YPP, I don't see how putting the same stuff on a tablet will make a huge difference unless YPP magically reinvents itself to become the next big tablet hit.

I honestly only think the real hope for PP will come from a careful redesign of the game to align with some slightly more modern principles, as well as a vaster expanse of content. For example, the "imperials" could have been explored a whole lot further than they have been.

I won't be replying to this thread anymore. I don't need to justify my argument, as it is ultimately inevitable.
Visionary/Visionarye - Coming soon to an ocean near you!

Mitchiie wrote:

"Yes. Snowwman is weird and Boyk is weird. They're definitely siblings. I just have to figure out who the sister is."

[May 4, 2013 1:48:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

Why come back if you are just going to dis what they are doing here. #makessense
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[May 4, 2013 7:35:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Why come back if you are just going to dis what they are doing here. #makessense

Because they would *like* to come back to the game they knew. I have come back after not playing for 6+ months three times now. If things were fixed, more people would come back and would stay longer.

That said, I don't see anything new in this rant. Similar rants have been around since 2008-2009. See, for example, Fall 2009 player level -- Red alert?
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[May 5, 2013 4:58:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gagund

Natural life cycle of any game.
-Gagundss
[Edit 2 times, last edit by gagund at May 5, 2013 10:07:35 AM]
[May 5, 2013 10:05:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Seawiid

"Because they would *like* to come back to the game they knew."

Pretty much sums it up for me. I WANT to have a reason to come back. The reason we want to see something, anything happen is because we like this game. If we didn't we wouldn't bother coming back ... ever. There really isn't anything else like it out there. This literally is the only MMO I ever got into.

I still dabble in it every once in a while but nothing (patching excluded) has really come out worthwhile. While I understand the whole new colors, aesthetics scheme they do and why they do it, when it becomes all they ever release then there is a problem there.
[May 6, 2013 8:19:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
amartino

new gameplay to be released for Kraken

maybe within yer lifetime:)
Piecesoeight on Meridian

Don't waste your time
Or time will waste you

================
[May 6, 2013 8:23:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Alexus2005

There really isn't anything else like it out there.

I've been playing EVE online since 2011 and only log on Y!pp once in a blue moon to see if any of my old hearties are on.

EVE has a fully player driven economy, (space)ships, conquerable space, and a great community.

If you're here for the puzzles, then nothing about Y!pp needs to change. If you want a vibrant community (the core of an MMO), I highly recommend EVE.

https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=6f18348e-05e6-4d78-9f95-e6ab13c464ce&action=buddy

21 day free trial on the above link.
Phatman

Only Malachite
[May 8, 2013 4:52:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Xanther4

There really isn't anything else like it out there.

I've been playing EVE online since 2011 and only log on Y!pp once in a blue moon to see if any of my old hearties are on.

EVE has a fully player driven economy, (space)ships, conquerable space, and a great community.

If you're here for the puzzles, then nothing about Y!pp needs to change. If you want a vibrant community (the core of an MMO), I highly recommend EVE.

https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=6f18348e-05e6-4d78-9f95-e6ab13c464ce&action=buddy

21 day free trial on the above link.

Eve is epic fun, but über expensive. I'm here because I don't have to pay a dime unless I want to.
Wipley of Emerald
Darkfaery's Avatar Goodness

Making the forums awkward and the game more stupid since 2008.

Anything
[May 8, 2013 9:26:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

Eve is epic fun, but über expensive. I'm here because I don't have to pay a dime unless I want to.

What good is a free game that has nothing going on? It's slowly getting to that point - particularly at key times of the day. For me, I happily pay multiple subscriptions for Y!PP... I would happily pay for any game in which I was having fun. That being said, every time one of them comes up for renewal, I have to consider whether it's worth it - not because of the money per se (all my accounts get the long-time player discount subscription), but because there are less and less activities going on that I enjoy enough to pay for - after all, I can talk to most of my crew/flag on FB or in Skype for free - I don't need to log into Y!PP for that.

For the time being, I can enjoy shopkeeping and merchanting... but I really, seriously miss the days when I could load a WB for a 3 hour pillage and never run out of jobbers. I miss the days when I could sail into a flotilla within 30 minutes of posting a notice. I miss the days when ocean master jumped on board my ship and puzzled or told jokes or threw impromptu ocean-wide competitions. Heck, give me unlimited swabbies so I can enjoy the pillages and flotillas again, and I won't have to keep asking myself, "do I let this account go dormant?"
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Edit 1 times, last edit by marundel at May 8, 2013 3:33:15 PM]
[May 8, 2013 3:28:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

give me unlimited swabbies
YES PLEASE! :)
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[May 9, 2013 1:06:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pixulayted

Inb5ooodoesntactuallycare.
[May 9, 2013 6:04:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luxory

Bring in unlimited swabbies but make all flots sinkiing aswell.

That would be fun :p
Luxory on Obsidian.
Aristoza flag royalty chats, "Ro initiated all the greenies by getting them on one big ship and sinking them all at once"
Positive Penguins
[May 12, 2013 5:25:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

Bring in unlimited swabbies but make all flots sinkiing aswell.

That would be fun :p

Concur
SO, Boochin' Drunks

[May 12, 2013 6:47:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
Momma_Wolf

I disagree with making all flots sinking - the non-sinkers are where new navs learn, without risking ships they may not be able to afford to replace.

Unlimited swabbies? Oh yes, please. I'd pay for that gladly.
Mommawolf, lurking on most oceans
Captain, Blackwolf Marauders of Midnight, now Cerulean
Queen, Victory Raiders of Midnight, now Cerulean

cmdrzoom said:

Anyone may demand answers of the gods.
Getting them is another matter.

[May 13, 2013 4:55:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luxory

I disagree with making all flots sinking - the non-sinkers are where new navs learn, without risking ships they may not be able to afford to replace.

Unlimited swabbies? Oh yes, please. I'd pay for that gladly.

You need to do something to stabilise the economy aswell, so making them all sinking would stop people going all swabby and just killing them in one hit.

And trust me, ask certain people in the game, it is possible to kill a flot with just swabbys and a couple of gunners.
Luxory on Obsidian.
Aristoza flag royalty chats, "Ro initiated all the greenies by getting them on one big ship and sinking them all at once"
Positive Penguins
[May 13, 2013 10:14:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wildmick

I've played (mostly on and less off) for over 6 years. We all know the problems with unlimited swabbies, although that would be a great help for me since my bnav is so bad, I'm too embarrased to hire jobbers.

The pirates seem to have lost their desire to help each other and the community in their greed for unneeded shoppes, familars, and islands for paving. I have met some truly wonderful people and some not worth spit. When you play this game to "WIN" at any cost, the community loses.
[May 13, 2013 12:05:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JennyBrie

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=182616

It's only been 6 months. Jeeze, you guys should be able to wait at least 6 more before you get a little smart on it and realize you just get strung along with the bare minimum to keep you here.

EDIT: Hahaha. It took 6mo to get a screenshot. Its been over a year since the announcement.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by JennyBrie at May 14, 2013 4:21:34 AM]
[May 14, 2013 4:20:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Strider399

I don't play, and I rarely read the forums anymore... but I can almost guarantee releasing YPP onto tablets will turn out exactly how the steam release did.

You'll see a spike in activity for the first month or so, and then slowly but surely the population will drop off to where it is now, with maybe a couple hundred more players spread across all the oceans. It's a temporary fix to a long-term problem.

Last I checked, they were giving the game menu's a re-work so they're more... "modern"? That's lovely and all, but that doesn't address any of the issues with the actual game.

This thread listed some of my personal gripes with the game, but I'm sure if everybody sat down and wrote out a list of the things that were just plain broken or illogical, there'd be a very long list of things to fix to improve the overall quality of the game.

Anywho, nice to see you all again. Hopefully the door won't hit my [booty] on the way out this time!
Sid on Obsidian

Striderrs everywhere else
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Aphrodite at May 22, 2013 6:04:22 AM]
[May 22, 2013 3:20:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xoenergy

As a player who has played this game on and off, I would say that the one thing getting more and more difficult to do is buy stuff. WHen i first started this game I could join a pilly and withing a few days and buy a new sloop. about 30k poe. Today I am playing and it would take me 3 to 4 times as long to do the same thing.

I think that a big problem is the amount of time it takes to make enough poe to buy a dub is un proportional. I could run a pilly, and have a good pilly and win 5-6 battles, and then lets say i lose one battle. The pilly is then ruined because of two reasons. Many times jobbers leave after one loss because they realize a lot of the hard earned poe in the coffers is now lost. So you lose both jobbers and poe.

Of course there are the elites who know the niches in thegame on how to earn the most poe per battle, and lose harly any battles. But i am talking about the average naver who doesn't know the little niches.

I think a huge problem in the game is the poe made in an amount of time (as an average pirate) is really low and creates a dificult environment to play in as a new pirate.

What i think is the only way to make a more then an acepteable amount of poe/ to get a strong foothold in finaces is to do : Run a succesful SMH, BUY dubs with reall money(lots of money), or play poker.

But to do a SMH , you already need to have plenty of poe and experience.
To buy enough dubs to have decent finaces is to spend a lot of poe
and in poker most people lose all their poe, and a few knowlegeable longtime PP poker players end up with it.( an un godly amount of poe)

I guess what I just want to say , is make pillying for an average/new pirate worth while. aka better payouts for everyone.
Wasn't PP supose so be primarily pillying and exploreing? AS a new/ aaverage pirate pillying, is hardly worth the time, Most of the time its not worht the time at all.
"It's not an adventure until something goes wrong" ~180 degrees south
[May 27, 2013 8:06:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Randomite

Just feeding off some of the posts mentioning the link between the Steam release and the Ipad release. The key difference here is that the Ipad release will do more than get people to know about it. When YPP was released way back when, it was a decent game when compared to lots of other games on the market. It wasn't the best, but it was good enough. 10 years forward YPP is still YPP, however the PC market is stacked full of games that are bigger and much better in quality. The problem with the Steam release was that it put YPP straight into the same market it has always been in, people have been choosing to play alternative games, (as mentioned above, even if Eve has been around longer than YPP,) for years now. For instance, how many players do you know in game that play League of Legends?

The Ipad release won't just open a few extra doors to YPP, it'll put the game into a market which I feel it can compete with what else is on offer. There isn't that many MMO's out on the Ipad yet and the ones that are there aren't exactly amazing, which is probably why people haven't heard about other people playing them yet. YPP would be a decent game on there.

Also bare in mind that the game is still open despite its low population with pretty large developments being made, what with the kraken and the Ipad release. This suggests that OOO are making money from a pretty small playerbase, which bodes well for the game as it does not need a huge take-off in popularity to double the population that's currently active. It doesn't need to hit any top 10 lists, bare in mind it never really hit huge popularity in the "good old days," it just had more than now.

I can't predict the future, but the potential is certainly there. I don't know about other people, but I keep coming back to this game because I keep having fun of it. The blockade scene is still pretty active, people will always complain that there isn't enough but that's simply because they're fun. The puzzles are enjoyable too, which I think will be key for the Ipad market. Who knows, fingers crossed, this could go well.
Disengaged.

Dexade tells ye, "i m not talking to you and dont want your cookies!"
[May 28, 2013 3:00:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

About making poe. I have to slightly disagree. Just this weekend, I went to Cerulean and saw blockades at 2k per seg, which would mean that the average jobber getting goods would make around the poe they need to buy a sloop, in one hour. I'll admit that's about it I know about sub ocean and cannot say anything if that's normal or just one weekend coincident. I'd say that for an hour of work that's fine?

On Emerald, the blockade pays are higher of course (okay, they seem to go average at....what, 5k per segment?) which comes to 30k per round - your sloop from the inn is 45-50k, so just 1.5-2 hours puzzling will get you the sloop as well even if you order one from the SY and pay in total about 56k for it. That's also nice, I think?

Poker can you earn you much more faster but in the long run, there's no need for a pile of poe unless you really use it for something (fund your SMH runs, blockades, buy collectables, give away).

That being said, I'll just go back to my inn corner...
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[May 28, 2013 9:12:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

Weekend cades are a really good way to make poe. I have no issue getting poe on Cerulean and I don't join in on Blockades much. I did this past weekend, but normally I don't.

I don't SMH much either. I do like to job on pillages and run comods about.

Getting 10k (maybe 12k if you really like the name) for a sloops is very easy.

You have to remember that on Cerulean there are no delivery fees for anything. It cost less poe to have a good time.

Whisking about is great when it cost...maybe 175 poe (and that is it). Rum runs about 56 poe and we get the same poe pay out on pillages, smh, floats...etc...as the doub oceans.

If you really do pay money for doubs to have all aspects of the game open to you, it actually cost you more in RL money to play on a doub ocean than on Cerulean. (Why do you think most players are sent to doub oceans?)

There is of course the benefit of paying absolutely nothing as well and having to deal with the crazy price of doubs.

I like having everything available at a very reasonable cost.

I don't think the tablet release will have much effect on Cerulean as I am sure player will not be sent to it.

I have to agree with Striderrs on the temp spike then back to the numbers it is now.
[May 28, 2013 11:34:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

You have to remember that on Cerulean there are no delivery fees for anything. It cost less poe to have a good time.

...we get the same poe pay out on pillages, smh, floats...etc...as the doub oceans.

If you really do pay money for doubs to have all aspects of the game open to you, it actually cost you more in RL money to play on a doub ocean than on Cerulean. (Why do you think most players are sent to doub oceans?)

I think that a big problem is the amount of time it takes to make enough poe to buy a dub is un proportional

Just a reminder that the PoE price of doubloons on the green oceans is not set by OOO. It is set by the players who pay real-life money for the doubloons, and then sell them on the exchange for whatever PoE amount the "free" players are willing to pay. If you find yourself complaining about the high PoE cost of playing free, then you should either become a paying customer or accept the limitations of not having doubloons.

Unless and until there are more sellers than buyers of doubloons, the PoE price will stay high. Of course, you can also purchase your doubloons for real-life cash at about 25 cents a piece. This is not an issue on subscription oceans, where a month of unlimited play can run as low as US$4.16 with the long-term discount. If you play a lot, and you can't afford US$4.16 a month, then maybe you should stop playing and go get a better job.
SO, Boochin' Drunks

[May 28, 2013 3:48:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
Randomite

If you play a lot, and you can't afford US$4.16 a month, then maybe you should stop playing and go get a better job.

Let's be honest here, if you can play something for free you might as well play it for free. Doub prices don't bother me, I just find that money is easier to make now to counter the higher costs. Also, and this is a key point; just because people have money doesn't mean they will throw it into a video game - particularly one they can play for free. Particularly one where people spread their ego's on the table at 5k/seg every weekend.
Disengaged.

Dexade tells ye, "i m not talking to you and dont want your cookies!"
[May 29, 2013 5:22:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

I will gladly pay $4 a month to not have to deal with the mess of doubs and have everything in game open to me.

If someone plays for free, I don't think they should complain.
[May 29, 2013 7:29:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hammer1

Time is money .....time is money :D
Blackhammer.
[May 30, 2013 4:57:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Indeed. And perhaps a bit of perspective: those 5k/seg blockades that people are so happy about? That's about $3/hour, at current PoE <-> doubloon rates. Granted, it's a better work environment than the typical McJob, but honestly...
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[May 30, 2013 5:03:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SevenDarks

It's actually more cost effective for me to buy dubs than to earn them in many instances, excepting highly successful but rare events like elite runs and blockades with high pay, of course.
Lovely Avatar of Arioch and Wildfox by Seapint
[May 30, 2013 6:42:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 56   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates