• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 35
Posts: 35   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7382 times and has 34 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background -Fighting Puzzle Edition [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Ahoy mates! It's portrait background time!

Winners!

Theme:
This month's theme is "Fighting Puzzle" or the act of engaging in a duel or battle. Specifically, we are looking for activities that involve swords and rumble or boxing, with maybe some of the different environments represented (like a BK sword fight or a CI gauntlet fight), but the focus is on the fight, not the environment. Remember that while you can draw inspiration from the game art, you should create all the art in the background yourself, rather than copying it across! The arrrtists will pick their favorite background(s) this month, and it's likely that we'll run it again in the future - so concentrate on quality not on quantity!

Submissions:
Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size. The preferred file format is .png
Entries must fit the appropriate scale.

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170
Expansive backgrounds: 2000 x 1275

Reworking entries:
To update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry. If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. We don't want anyone laboring on some amazing art that has to be ignored because of this.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.
You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.

Upload your images to the YPPedia, name the file according to the naming scheme listed there, and also post links to the thumbnails here in this thread, for comment. If you want your pirate name to appear rather than your account name should you win, please follow the image tag scheme below carefully.

Instructions for destination filename
The arrtists have requested a change to the naming of files uploaded to YPPedia for this contest. This naming scheme may not be the same as the general YPPedia file upload scheme, but we're hoping that it's distinctive enough that it won't cause undue confusion. Note that this is in addition to the requirements for the image tags.
Requested format for the filenames on YPPedia:
monthly_yourname_title_the_way_you_want_to_appear_in_game.png
All in lower-case and put underscores between all the separate words in the title

(YPPedia will change the first m into M - don't worry about this). So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Clotho's Tangled Threads, I would use:
monthly_clotho_tangled_threads.png

Instructions for tags in the summary field
The tag for this contest is "may13contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload, then, should be:
{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|Portrait Title}}
where
"contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag shown below, "accountname" is replaced by your own forum name
"creditname" is replaced by either your forum name again, or your pirate name, whichever you want credited with the background
"Portrait Title" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background

e.g. {{may13contest|Clotho|Spinner|Loom}}
or {{may13contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|Spindle}}

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice.
e.g. {{may13contest|Clotho|Clotho|Tangled Threads}}

Judging:
Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors.

The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the arrrtists and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if the background didn't win, it can be submitted for future contests as long as it fits the theme within each contest. Go ahead and enter past entries if you wish, however, you shouldn't submit crops of past backgrounds that have already had a win and have been seen in game before.

Prizes:
A winning entry will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds, usually for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it is available. Each winning entrant will also receive a Puzzle Pirates real-life item and a pack of playing cards in the mail, a free copy of his/her portrait in-game, choice of Bluebeard, Fishheadred or Greenbones egg or doll, and a clothing item of her choice in the color(s) of her choice.

The clothing item can be any item that can be ordered from a tailoring shoppe without needing a design or reputation. In the event of the same artist winning multiple prizes or multiple months, an additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the artist does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.

Deadline:
May 15th 2013, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions:
-- Make it look like it came right out of the game.
--Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure.
--Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art.
--Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use.
--Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.
--A very small signature in the lower right corner is acceptable.
--In general avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.
--Pay close attention to your composition - the composition of backgrounds related to pirate placement is a major consideration and sometimes otherwise good backgrounds are eliminated because the nicest elements are blocked by the pirates once they are in frame.

Other suggestions and links:
Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!
----------------------------------------

Hilando las hebras de la vida pirata...
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Clotho at May 29, 2013 8:14:31 AM]

[Apr 16, 2013 10:53:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background -Fighting Puzzle Edition [Deadline May 15th] Reply to this Post

Oooo sounds like fun! i Loooove SF...hmm..skellies,...zombies...do these count as part of the fighting puzzles? personally i think it would be cool to have background portrait using the existing BK fighting backgrounds . or are we supposed to incorporate more pirates doing the actual fighting like this or this or this
(yes i discovered a very artistically inspirational page!!! <3 and great reference source ^_^ here
Also if any of you wanted to know how i do my colors/digital art you can join the facebook group/page thingy here or just search Puzzle Pirates Art Tutorial . I shared a tutorial on there about how I do my digital art :)
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Apr 16, 2013 12:22:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background -Fighting Puzzle Edition [Deadline May 15th] Reply to this Post

You can incorporate any situation or environment that inspires you, just make sure the result is your own idea of what it would be like. It can be anything at all where a pirate is likely to use a sword or a bludgeon!

[Apr 16, 2013 2:36:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

stumpy arm fat headed pirates coming right up!
[Apr 16, 2013 2:46:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mkessler

Also if any of you wanted to know how i do my colors/digital art you can join the facebook group/page thingy here or just search Puzzle Pirates Art Tutorial . I shared a tutorial on there about how I do my digital art :)

What a great idea! I'm in!

/e prepares to absorb knowledge. I swear I'm a good student. :)
Isza of Emerald
[Apr 16, 2013 3:50:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

How is that fighting going?

[May 1, 2013 6:13:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

How is that fighting going?

I'd like to uppercut some four choice AP tests right now.

My last one isn't until the 16th,naturally, of course.

/rummages through slew of European history, calculus, literature and biology in attempt to relocate neglected creativity

The possibility of it being found in time for this month is pretty low. :c

<-[take on the classic cartoon-y "everyone point their swords at 'x'"]

Cattrin of Midnight Cerulean (and sometimes Viridian Meridian)
Avatar by Apollo, Wiske, Shawe, Blakbead, Daeva, Bunnylaroo and Musicologist!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[May 1, 2013 7:01:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

I'd like to uppercut some four choice AP tests right now.

Uppercut is not enough, those need to be KO'd!

[May 1, 2013 7:38:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

on the plus side I have 2 doodles of sketched ideas on paper...on the down side...I'm travvelling and not really around computers (had to turn on hockey for my brother to use his laptop) But I will try my best! Rumble SF undead hunting soon (hopefully) to appear in the yppedia entry threads! (or at least here for comments and feedback)
[May 3, 2013 8:22:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Well, I've always liked this one of mine, maybe it will fit the theme better this time. Anyway, I've looked at it so much, I can't see the problems, so I'd really appreciate any feedback. Thanks so much.

BTW...where is everybody?? This thread has been soooooooo quiet!

Greylady, Meridian & Emerald
Greyladyy on Cerulean
Cronus tells ye, "...it's Hera's doing. She spread those horrid lies of me eating poor innocent babies. *burp*"
Cronus tells ye, "When in doubt blame Hera"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by CapnKkatz at May 7, 2013 9:58:48 PM]
[May 7, 2013 9:57:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

I know! They must be looking for the missing OMs...

[May 8, 2013 8:14:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

I know! They must be looking for the missing OMs...

hmmmm....could the OM's have taken THEM hostage?? **gasps!!**
Greyladyy on Cerulean
Cronus tells ye, "...it's Hera's doing. She spread those horrid lies of me eating poor innocent babies. *burp*"
[May 8, 2013 8:52:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Here's another one ... Sneak Attack! I still need to add some more swords coming out from behind stuff, but I'd appreciate any comments/feedback ... if anyone is out there! Hellllllloooooooo!?!

Greyladyy on Cerulean
[May 10, 2013 8:33:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

@ grey lady, regarding the ship attack, I think something that you can work on for it is the faces, the expressions of the pirates don't look like the game pirates (if that makes sense?) The eyes seem too...triangular? Not sure if that helps...but that's all I can see for now...perhaps more oval eyes with lines for expressions? I'd use portrait faces as direct references :) Hope that helps ^_^ Looks good tho and I like the secret sword one!
Will have to see if I get to finish mine after all as hubby just got a new job and is on night shift the next 4 days :(
[May 10, 2013 8:45:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

[If you'd like to listen to me ramble on while drawing it at 6 in the morning]

It was sortof a rushed job unfortunately due to my continual fight with AP tests (two down...two more to go...), but I'd love some critiques.
Cattrin of Midnight Cerulean (and sometimes Viridian Meridian)
Avatar by Apollo, Wiske, Shawe, Blakbead, Daeva, Bunnylaroo and Musicologist!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Edit 2 times, last edit by cattrin at May 11, 2013 11:23:34 AM]
[May 11, 2013 5:08:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Thanks for the feedback. Trying to fining this one before I work on the other one, so here are some different options. I'd love to hear which you like best - or any other feedback. :)

Greyladyy on Cerulean
[May 13, 2013 5:50:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

looks great greylady, i like the one where he is crawling below the stump ^_^ One thing that does kinda bother me is the bottom right sword and the way it looks with the flames in front of it...Can't quite place my finger on what it is though >.< perhaps if the sword was in front of the flames?
[May 13, 2013 6:42:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

hmmm...okay, here are a couple of alternatives.

First, I made the flames more transparent, but left the sword behind:

...then moved the sword to the front of the flames

Are either of these an improvement? Thanks for your feedback!
Greyladyy on Cerulean
[May 13, 2013 7:24:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

yes! ^_^ Though hard to decide which is better now >.< What does the sword in front look like with the flames the way they were?
[May 13, 2013 7:51:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

yes! ^_^ Though hard to decide which is better now >.< What does the sword in front look like with the flames the way they were?

Here it is with the brighter flames and sword in front...

Thanks for all of the feedback, it's greatly appreciated!
Greyladyy on Cerulean
[May 14, 2013 5:55:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Okay, here are some other alternatives. I've improved (hopefully!) the driftwood and mountains, and added an alternate view. What do you think?

...with brighter flames

Greyladyy on Cerulean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by CapnKkatz at May 14, 2013 8:05:07 AM]
[May 14, 2013 7:36:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

I personally like the third one, since it's clear that driftwood guy is holding the sword. In the other two, at first glance it looked like driftwood guy has 3 arms :P I realize it's someone off-scene holding the sword, but I like it better as in number 3.

Looks great!
Bunnylaroo of Sage Emerald

[May 14, 2013 8:33:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

I would have to agree with Bunny ^_^ 3 is my favorite one as well
[May 14, 2013 9:05:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Okay, changed the eyes to be more game-like. Better? Any more feedback? Thanks in advance!

Greyladyy on Cerulean
[May 14, 2013 8:34:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

the eyes are much better ^_^ I cannot think of anything else really...perhaps the shading on the clothes ... not exactly sure how to place in words...but if you look at shading of outfits in portraits they seem more linear (?) smoother? Your shading, though pretty good otherwise, are too *fluffy* (?) compared to the portrait clothing? (I dont know if im making sense at all...>.<) eg, here is how the flare pants look in a portrait, the shading frames the body curves? So my only suggestion I suppose would be to reference portraits with the same outfits featured in your background and try to mimic the shadows of the clothing as much as possible? Hope this helps :) I really like the background and I want to make it win ^_^
<3 Pixelpixie
[May 14, 2013 8:53:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

Okay, changed the eyes to be more game-like. Better? Any more feedback? Thanks in advance!
Sent a PM <3
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[May 14, 2013 8:56:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karmella1

and here's mine. c:

Deathwaltz on the Emerald Ocean (former Sage)
Alt: Desiple
[May 15, 2013 7:53:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gulpofbilge

Everyone does so well and has such fancy art programs on the computer. I hope if anything someone takes my idea and runs with it in the future...you have my permission. I have the idea, just not the tools *glares at her laptop mouse and paint program*
Good luck to everyone. Thanks for all the fun events.

~Gulpofbilge, Meridian
Gulpofbilge of Meridian, The Guppy
Avatar made by the awesome, beautiful Wayfarer, who is way wonderful.
[May 15, 2013 11:31:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arghhpirate

@Gulpofbilge

There are a number of great art programs out there, all absolutely free, for example, I know a lot of people on here use Gimp, a free art program, and the results are amazing. Also, you don't need a fancy tablet to be able to draw digitally, trackpads, touchpads, etc work just fine.

For more art programs, this link is quite helpful. Enjoy!
[May 15, 2013 11:47:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gulpofbilge

Thank you, I have heard of this wonderful gimp (though I admit I was totally confused by the name). I'm just babying my computer since it is at least middle age...someday if I get a new one I'll have to try these magical things...computers have come a long way from the number munchers games of my youth.
Gulpofbilge of Meridian, The Guppy
Avatar made by the awesome, beautiful Wayfarer, who is way wonderful.
[May 16, 2013 12:02:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 35   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates