• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 14
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2381 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
homullus

Forum Subdivision Reply to this Post

I don't know what the software is like for this stuff, but it's getting to the point where perhaps we need some subdivision. One thing I've seen is that boards that exist for a while get very very long . . . newbies (and some lazy oldbies) lack the patience to sift through all the old pages of posts for advice. Once there are 1000 people here, I don't want to log into the forum and see 50 or more "Plz helpp Im new her I cantt figur out nav game ;-) ;-) ;-)" posts every day! It's making me angry already, and it hasn't even happened yet. There should be one for the existing puzzles alone, at least. One for a marketplace, maybe, if people want to advertise goods or services. There's gonna be some KewL_D00Dz eventually, and we can't avoid them, but some more structure will be helpful later.

Can we disallow special characters and numbers in people's names? Or are we already doing that?
[Jan 17, 2003 12:44:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Subdiv and Names Reply to this Post

I agree that we're getting towards subdivision time, although I'm reticent to multiply out the areas-to-check quite yet. It shall be done before things get silly.

Re: names, we already prevent non-alphabetic characters from names, and as you may have noticed, force capitalisation.

I would quite like to do this for spoken text as well, but I know that some people prefer to be able to type all lower-case. Opinions?

- Cleaver
[Jan 17, 2003 6:30:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

Re: Forum Subdivision Reply to this Post

as for spoken text, I prefer to keep it as it is typed... it adds personality to a pirate. Some people prefer to use all caps simply because they're lazy, or all lowercaps for the same reason. I can also see the auto-capitalization becomming annoying if not done correctly, or if you don't take certain things into consideration, like my use of ellipsis... in the center of a sentence...

it's also much easier to just not worry about it.
----------------------------------------
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[Jan 17, 2003 9:38:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

forced capitalization etc. Reply to this Post

Forced capitalization is only in effect when naming your pirate. Otherwise, you can type whatever you like. I'm in favor of anything that can be done to stop speech bubbles with "L33t-5p34K," but I can't think of anything that wouldn't also annoy regular users who might want to refer to something's dollar amount or give an e-mail address to a friend.
[Jan 17, 2003 9:45:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

I don't think this game will appeal to the l33t crowd really.

And I think the current forced caps on naming is fine enough as it is.
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[Jan 17, 2003 10:32:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AvaPoet

Numerous L33t Reply to this Post

I don't think this game will appeal to the l33t crowd really.

They are numerous and are found in all kinds on unlikely places.

But hey; I'm all in favour of subdividing forums... some of these threads are getting convoluted already!
Ava
[Jan 17, 2003 11:58:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.avangel.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Cryptic

I saw some suspicious looking ruffians meself recently. But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Could we please make sure crew's names were capitalized as well?
Cryptic

When the fell moon rises and kingdoms fall
There's a time of darkness before cock's call
When the Tide washes in from windward to lee
And she leaves behind her a blood-red sea
[Jan 18, 2003 12:29:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AvaPoet

Aye Reply to this Post

Aye... I was... intrigued by a certain new crew, led by a pirate who names himself Hansel. I haven't had a chance to speak to him yet.
Ava
[Jan 18, 2003 12:31:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.avangel.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
shellyanne

If you mean Hanzii, I invited him to the game.
He's cool, I'm not sure who the other guys in the new crew are tho.

~Seashell~
[Jan 18, 2003 4:23:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hanzii

shellyanne wrote: 
If you mean Hanzii, I invited him to the game.
He's cool, I'm not sure who the other guys in the new crew are tho.

~Seashell~

I'm not Hansel - and haven't met the guy.

I'm sure Ava isn't confusing us, being that he is my captain (my captain) and have sailed with me numerous times.
He kinda lured me into joining the mutiny that was to become the fines crew under sail - the Dastardly Dragons.

But thanks for showing me this game, I'm truly enjoying myself - maybe we'll be online simultaneous at some point?!
Hanzii - shipbuilder (retired), Turtle
[Jan 18, 2003 4:42:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.lauring.net [Link]  Go to top 
Cryptic

Re: Aye Reply to this Post

AvaPoet wrote: 
Aye... I was... intrigued by a certain new crew, led by a pirate who names himself Hansel. I haven't had a chance to speak to him yet.

Aye that mf looks like it has a couple o's conspicously missing... :/
Cryptic

When the fell moon rises and kingdoms fall
There's a time of darkness before cock's call
When the Tide washes in from windward to lee
And she leaves behind her a blood-red sea
[Jan 18, 2003 7:03:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AvaPoet

Aye Reply to this Post

Aye, I did mean Hansel. Not Hanzii. I can tell the difference. Thanks, anyway, Seashell.
Ava
[Jan 18, 2003 8:00:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.avangel.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

Arr I've sailed with Hansel a couple of times and had no problems at all. Hard working and nice fella!
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[Jan 18, 2003 8:49:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shellyanne

hehe ok I was just making sure.

And yes Hanzii! hopefully at some point we will actually be on at the same time :D
I've been playing more again, so I'm sure I'll be more visible.
I had figured this game would appeal to you, I'm glad your having a good time :)

~SeaShell~
[Jan 18, 2003 9:03:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates