• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 16
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4599 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
EmpressTamar

How are duty scores determined? Reply to this Post

I know that stats are determined by how everyone else is performing in that puzzle in the past few days. If there are a lot of elites on a particular ocean, it will be more difficult to obtain ultimate due to the lack of greenies skewing the average puzzle stat. (correct me if I'm wrong?)

However, one of my crewbies says it's easier to get incredible on a ship with a lot of greenie puzzlers. Is this correct? I thought that scores were determined based on how well people were doing ocean-wide, not ship-wide.
----------------------------------------
Empresstamar of Emerald.
Yppedia page

Gorgeous avatar by by Cattrin <3
[Apr 8, 2013 1:13:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
henryrules10

Re: How are duty scores determined? Reply to this Post

I'm pretty sure it's oceanwide, not shipwide. Your crewbie is either lying or (more likely) doesn't know how duty puzzle scoring works. You can have the best score for a league against 10 other greenies, but if your score is sucky it'll still show a low score in the duty report.
Nickbush on every ocean (Jadebush on Jade -.-)

Native Cobaltean for life

http://www.youtube.com/user/NickBush24

Foraging scoring glitch: http://bit.ly/QEpApx
[Apr 8, 2013 1:30:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmpressTamar

Alright, thank you very much!
Empresstamar of Emerald.
Yppedia page

Gorgeous avatar by by Cattrin <3
[Apr 8, 2013 2:44:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

The only thing that you will notice is determined by being on the same ship is how identical duty reports are sorted. In other words, if there are five mates all on sails and all scoring "Fine", the best "Fine" - almost "Good" - will be on top and the worst "Fine" - almost "Poor" - will be on the bottom.
Retired as of August 2015.
Sic transit gloria mundi.
[Apr 8, 2013 4:38:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Pixulayted

The only thing that you will notice is determined by being on the same ship is how identical duty reports are sorted. In other words, if there are five mates all on sails and all scoring "Fine", the best "Fine" - almost "Good" - will be on top and the worst "Fine" - almost "Poor" - will be on the bottom.

If you want to be really technical, there is two levels of fine, high fine and low fine. Same with excellent, but I don't think that was the OPs question.

To reinforce nick's post, it doesn't matter who is on your ship, your duty report is based on your puzzle indicator.
Your puzzle indicator is based on the current ocean's puzzling ability in the last X hours.

So indirectly, yes, the DR is based on the ocean's puzzling ability.
[Apr 8, 2013 7:30:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

What do you mean there are two levels? There are multiple levels of all duty reports. They are limited only by the granularity of the underlying number scores. The way it works is that your puzzle indicator is based on a numerical score. The numbered score is converted to a percentile, so that you have a relative score, on a curve, based on how the rest of the ocean is doing. This number is never revealed to the player except obliquely, with indicator display, duty reports, and standing changes. Then that percentile is rounded off to a duty report "word" of Incredible, Excellent, Good, Fine, Poor, Booched. (Greenies can get "Learning" instead of the last two.)

Now when you see five mates all scoring "Incredible" on the duty report, what you really have is five different numbered percentiles being represented by the same word. (I picked Incredible this time because as I remember, it is always 99th percentile, and I don't remember the other DR percentiles.) The way to tell who scored higher is by their relative ranking in the duty report screen. Let's say the percentile scores were 99.9, 99.7, 99.5, 99.3, and 99.1. They are all 99th percentile so they all display "Incredible". But the 99.1 score will be on the bottom of the pile. The 99.9 will be on top, and the rest will sort into the middle accordingly. I don't know what numbers are tossed around internally, so I couldn't speculate on the granularity of it all, it could be 16-bit integers or it could be some floating point math - although that is unlikely, because I have seen little evidence of any FP math anywhere in the server or client.

So you can always accurately tell how well within a certain DR you did by looking at those around you. If you score top Incredible, you got the best absolute score. If you score bottom Fine, you're scraping against a Poor already.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Apr 8, 2013 10:07:39 PM]
[Apr 8, 2013 10:05:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Pixulayted

Although they didn't test for it, I'm sure it's there for fines also..

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=73211&offset=0
[Apr 9, 2013 5:12:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

... Honestly? You read that, and the conclusion you came away with was "well, clearly there's exactly two sharply defined categories of 'high' and 'low' within each rating level."?
[Apr 9, 2013 6:35:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pixulayted

... Honestly? You read that, and the conclusion you came away with was "well, clearly there's exactly two sharply defined categories of 'high' and 'low' within each rating level."?

I'm saying if you think of it that way, you're probably better off then if you just assume all ratings are the same.
Obviously nothing will ever be clearly or sharply defined until OOO confirms it, which they won't.
[Apr 9, 2013 7:05:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
thylawrence2

If you score top Incredible, you got the best absolute score.

I've always wondered about this. What about in cases of ties? (It's really not as unlikely as one might think - there's a max score cap on many of the puzzles).

I'm saying if you think of it that way, you're probably better off then if you just assume all ratings are the same. Obviously nothing will ever be clearly or sharply defined until OOO confirms it, which they won't.

The mere existence of puzzling competitions should make the answer to this very obvious. OOO even distinguishes between hundreds of Fine, Good, Excellent, and Incredible scores in the "best [scoring rank]" competitions.
All about Tothemoonn! of the Emerald Ocean

Artistic rendition of my face and upper body by the superbly skilled Xioch!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by thylawrence2 at Apr 9, 2013 8:09:08 PM]
[Apr 9, 2013 8:02:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Pixulayted wrote: 
Although they didn't test for it, I'm sure it's there for fines also..

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=73211&offset=0

That thread is talking about the relation of puzzle scoring to juju output, which is an entirely different matter than the underlying score number, percentile, and duty report sorting that I explained above.

Tothemoonn wrote: 
I've always wondered about this. What about in cases of ties? (It's really not as unlikely as one might think - there's a max score cap on many of the puzzles).

Yeah, I didn't take ties into account. I am sure they are sorted on some secondary key. The two likeliest methods are alpha by name or numerically by database reference.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Apr 9, 2013 10:53:42 PM]
[Apr 9, 2013 10:50:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

Gonna toss a random educated guess out there and say it's based on database reference. With my pirate being almost seven years old I'd assume my number isn't very high and the system seems to favor me over others on ties almost every single time.

(But pat, how do you know it's a tie? Scores are just text!)

I job on CIs a lot. CI foraging has a clear raw score indicator.
TriplePat, Emerald.
[Apr 10, 2013 11:40:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
thylawrence2

It would be nice if CI ties were broken by highest number of cursed chests, then down the list. Based on what you said I'm assuming this isn't currently the case, I don't CI much, though. Either way, ties are still possible and the database number would break the tie I suppose.
All about Tothemoonn! of the Emerald Ocean

Artistic rendition of my face and upper body by the superbly skilled Xioch!
[Apr 10, 2013 3:55:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

There are people who didn't automatically assume DRs were ranked in order? There are people who still don't assume this?
Evilduck/Superduck.
Emerald, Cerulean, and that other one.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Apr 10, 2013 5:21:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tdeathblake

It was noted that back in the days when puzzling in any environment that contained maneuvers wouldn't reduce your standing that the number one list was ordered with experience as the second key

Maybe something similar with duty scores
Tdeathblake (Thinks he's the main)
Homunculus (Knows he's the main)

Give a man a fish and he''ll eat for a day, give a fish a man and he''ll eat for weeks.

Homemade avatar
[Apr 12, 2013 5:47:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ChaozFantasy

It was noted that back in the days when puzzling in any environment that contained maneuvers wouldn't reduce your standing that the number one list was ordered with experience as the second key

Maybe something similar with duty scores

Actually, experience sounds like a pretty logical tiebreaker and it might explain why ranking orders are always the same (puzzle competitions) multiple times.
[Apr 13, 2013 2:07:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates