• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 14
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3208 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
Bronzino

Stall Reply to this Post

I am thinking of buying and running a stall, but first I have a couple of questions, which type is the easiest to run and which one is the most profitable? And should I buy one on a large, very busy island, or a small island with not many buildings?
[Apr 2, 2013 6:08:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Re: Stall Reply to this Post

I am thinking of buying and running a stall, but first I have a couple of questions, which type is the easiest to run and which one is the most profitable? And should I buy one on a large, very busy island, or a small island with not many buildings?

First, and most importantly, the economy in Puzzle Pirates is purely player vs player. The game won't buy stuff from you and there is not guarantee that you will make a profit. You will be competing against other players for every raw material you try to get and every customer order.

Ironmongers and distilleries were designed by OOO to be the easiest to run. They have the lowest opening costs/rent, it takes few ingredients to make booze/balls and the ingredients are cheap. That said, getting expert labor is hard to do with distilling, and expert labor is required to make fine rum, the most popular form of booze.

As far as where, that is a very hard question. Over the very long run, each island tends to have enough stalls/shops to match the needs of the island, but in the short run, that can quickly change depending on whether someone opens a new stall, or someone shuts down a stall, or if there is a SMH/CI chart near by, or many other factors or if a noted bnavver starts/stops to use the island as a base to pillage from, etc.

As far as which is most profitable, again, that can be very very hard to say. If there was one type that was clearly more profitable (per amount of work spent), then everyone would open that type of stall. That, in turn, would drive the profit down.

In another thread, you mentioned that you had about 100k capital. Even for an ironmonger/distillery, that isn't that much. A well stocked furnisher/tailor would probably have 500k-2million PoE in stock. My IMs that make swords have over 1M in stock.

I recommend reading up on http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Shoppe_management before you open a stall.
----------------------------------------
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Apr 2, 2013 6:56:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

Just a note that with an IM, I would suggest just making cbs to start, before you try swords and with a distillery, just make rum, grog, swill and hemp oil to start, not mugs. Simplifies things enormously for a new stall owner.

As far as where, there are 2 big considerations.

1. Demand I would recommend watching a few islands you frequent. See if any have trouble keeping cbs and rum available for dockside purchase. For example, I'm the governor of an island on Cerulean where, despite a pile of IMs being active on the island, and iron filling readily at it, I sometimes have to run cannonballs in because none are available for sale. There's only one distillery that regularly has rum for sale, so when they run out, I have to have some available to cover. That would be a good island to open a distillery or an ironmonger on, as there are regular customers starting pillages and other voyages there, and not enough active stalls to keep up with demand.

2. Commodity Availability Looking at the commodities available nearby is important. If you want to open an IM, you need iron and wood. Wood is harder to run, so you don't want to be more than 5 or 10 leagues away from wood, so you can run a merchant brig at a time. If you want to open a distillery, you need sugar cane, wood, and some iron, as well as hemp to make hemp oil if you choose to. Sugar cane and hemp, also annoying to run, so again, 5-10 leagues away at most is my recommendation. Iron can be run in large quantities on a small ship, so that you don't need as close by. Having at least one of the needed basic commods spawning on the island your stall is on is recommended.
Aethera of Cobalt Cerulean
Princess of Maniacal Menagerie
Blockade staff on any ocean
[Apr 2, 2013 8:04:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bronzino

Ok, I have set up a distilling stall on Wensleydale Island. I have bought some stock and set up some prices on the buying/selling commodities page. However, I am struggling to find jobbers. I don't have a labor badge and I am reluctant to get one. I am recruiting with the following wages:

25 basic
30 skilled
35 expert

Why is no one joining me?
[Apr 2, 2013 1:19:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

Getting jobbers can be tough too. You really should get a labor badge unless you can ask some hearties to take a job.
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[Apr 2, 2013 1:46:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bronzino

Ok, this might be a bit of a stupid question, but I have reserve labor, and enough commodities to produce some goods. So can I make some and sell them directly to ships on the market, or do people have to come to me and buy from me at the distillery?
[Apr 3, 2013 4:08:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Well, you can make some, deliver it to the stall, and offer it for sale on the dockside market in the hopes that someone will buy it - you can't sell it directly to ships, though. If that distinction makes sense.

Or, yes, you can hope someone finds their way to your distillery to place their own order. I wouldn't really rely on that, though.
[Apr 3, 2013 4:34:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

Almost all IM and distillery sales (of shot and rum) go through the docks. You'll want to order rum from within the shop ('Order for this shoppe') and deliver it, and then set suitable dockside sell rates.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Apr 3, 2013 10:29:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bronzino

Ok, my stall is going nicely and making a small amount of money which I think is ok for now taking into account the amount of money I have invested into it. My next question and hopefully my last is how many stalls can one person own and run (I am not taking into account being a manager)?
[Apr 5, 2013 4:57:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

One character can have as many stalls as he or she wants, but is limited to 1 stall per building.
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Apr 5, 2013 5:06:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bronzino

Ok, I was just wondering because the max I saw was about 4 per person.
[Apr 5, 2013 5:16:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bronzino

Ok, one more question. I have got 500 wood on order at the market, however, only about 220 are ready, and this figure has stopped climbing for the past 3 days. My questions are, why has it stopped and if I deliver the order partially, will I be refunded for the amount that has not been delivered?
[Apr 11, 2013 5:36:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Ok, one more question. I have got 500 wood on order at the market, however, only about 220 are ready, and this figure has stopped climbing for the past 3 days. My questions are, why has it stopped and if I deliver the order partially, will I be refunded for the amount that has not been delivered?

Someone else probably bid more than you. Yours will start filling again when the bids higher than you fill.

You can deliver what you've gotten, and will get a refund on the undelivered portion if you do-- but not on the fee you paid to get the ticket started. OR you can put in a new (higher) bid, which will start filling. (Keep in mind that continually outbidding people can lead to personal insanity and overpaying. You're probably best to either wait, or to deliver what you have and put in ONE new bid, and let that one sit until it's full.)
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Apr 11, 2013 6:23:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Someone else probably bid more than you. Yours will start filling again when the bids higher than you fill.

Just to be clear, when Xelto said "more" he meant a higher PoE bid price, and not just a higher unit volume. If someone places a bid at the same price, no matter how many units the bid for, your bid will continue to fill, just at a lower rate.

For what it is worth, I try to match the current price when I place a new bid, unless the current unit volume at that price is so large that I don't think it will fill soon. I also usually leave partially filled bid tickets around so that they start filling again when the price swings the other way.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Apr 11, 2013 7:12:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates