• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 9
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1729 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Bronzino

Merchanting tips/tricks Reply to this Post

Ok, I have a couple of ships (Sloop and a War Brig) based in the Admiral Island area. I have 100k cash, and I want to start merchanting in order to make some more money. So I was wondering are there any tips/tricks? And does anyone know of some good items/routes to start off at?
[Apr 1, 2013 11:46:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Re: Merchanting tips/tricks Reply to this Post

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Trading
Ok, not much directly on that page, but there are links to good threads and knowing how to get around yppedia will be very valuable to you. In particular, you will want to know a lot about where commodities spawn and bid tickets. You can also make some good PoE by placing orders in shops.

http://yarrg.chiark.net/intro
By far the best publicly available trading tool.

And, finally, 100k isn't much capital. I usually have about 3million in bid tickets filling. Having lots of capital is a huge advantage.
----------------------------------------
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Apr 1, 2013 12:05:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

And, finally, 100k isn't much capital. I usually have about 3million in bid tickets filling. Having lots of capital is a huge advantage.

It may not be much in the relative sense, but it can be enough to get started-- though you won't be able to do much with bid tickets (you can do some, but the real money there comes when you fill up a bid ticket at the low point in the cycle, and deliver it at the high point of the cycle. That takes a lot of money and patience-- usually several months.

While you're learning that part of merchanting, it may be possible to do island-to-island running (finding commodities at low costs on one island that are selling for much higher at a different one). This also take patience to learn how to turn a profit, but not the wait-for-months type of patience.

I would actually recommend a different alternative, if you have the personality that can deal with it: gem running. It doesn't take as much initial capital, and losing a few battles while you're learning the trade isn't as painful.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Apr 1, 2013 2:27:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vorky

I use YARRG to work out what runs and what commodities to trade.
[Apr 1, 2013 11:21:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bronzino

Ok, thanks guys, I try your ideas and see what happens
[Apr 2, 2013 6:06:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forestria5

I use YARRG to work out what runs and what commodities to trade.

This is definitely a great site...I use it on a daily basis for trade runs, gem runs, and commod runs (if things in my stalls aren't selling, I use the site to find a profitable market).

A bit of advice:
Double check the info from the site before you start buying anything. I whisk or ferry to all my stops to check the market. That way I dont spend alot of poe on things only to end up with the listed buyer having already reached their quota of an item and I am stuck with selling the items at a loss.
Forestria~~finished memming all oceans on 7/27/17:
Cerulean = 678
Ice = 136
Emerald = 670
Jade = 356
Opal = 295
Meridian = 653
Obsidian = 178
TOTAL = 2,966 league points
[Apr 5, 2013 3:37:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
flewors

The most valuable commodities tend to be herbs and minerals which don't take up much space, so your sloop is much more suited to trading than your war brig (because it's slow and requires several jobbers) Get used to soloing your sloop on evade mode. Try to disengage if you get in battle. Getting good at the dnav puzzle helps a lot but isn't essential.

If you do want to trade bulky commodities get a cutter or a merchant brig, they're both much better at it than a war brig.
[Apr 10, 2013 9:17:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

I personally find the Duty Navigation puzzle to be very important. If you do well at it, then you won't get caught in a battle when set to evade with the auto-target for ships turned off.

It also helps with the bots being able to keep speed up and damage down.

Of course you don't have to duty nav, as Flewors said, but it sure makes trade a lot quicker and easier!
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[Apr 10, 2013 9:28:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

If you are better at sails or rigs you can do that instead of dnav and then have enough moves to flee the bots when you get intercepted, but I agree that a good dnav really helps when running commods.
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Apr 10, 2013 11:22:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates