• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 86
Posts: 86   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9072 times and has 85 replies Next Thread
upgrade431

Re: Forum Bans- Why Aren't They Used? Reply to this Post

There's no reason to be rude, guys. It was a suggestion that has gone poorly from bad examples. Just drop it and move on, I suppose.
----------------------------------------
-Upgradde on Cerulean and Emerald Ocean

-My words are my own, and are not a representation of others.
[Mar 31, 2013 3:40:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

Here's a well-deserved forum ban in action: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewmember?memberid=464726

I'm not linking to his threads because 1. ew. and 2. they're going to be deleted by the time anyone reads this. I hope.
Redjenny, Now merged with Health Nutz
Thebloggess wrote: 
A hug is like a strangle you haven't finished yet!

[Apr 1, 2013 6:04:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

Yeah I totally agree! I can't believe that was even posted!!!
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[Apr 1, 2013 6:06:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

Clearly he has hit on the best possible way to prove he is a mature individual who should be allowed back into the game.

... scupper I sprained my sarcasm muscle.
Thebloggess wrote: 

[Apr 1, 2013 6:11:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

Clearly he has hit on the best possible way to prove he is a mature individual who should be allowed back into the game.

Nope! AND he keeps posting it under different acct names!
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[Apr 1, 2013 6:14:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
amethyststar

The pictures stayed up for approximately five minutes, before being taken down. I wonder if there is some heuristic program that can identify inappropriate content which could act as a bot for all incoming posts, such that it might prevent this from happening in the future.
Samos
Captain of Meridian Refugees
Queen of Changing Tides

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Samos
Creator of Shoppe Manager (tm), Rank Manager (tm), and Memorization Manager (tm)
[Apr 1, 2013 6:19:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/sara.anne.miller/    amethyststarlight    gloriousamethyst [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

What's funny is that he's titling them "Stop Ban Evasion". Yeah, dude. You really should stop ban evading.
Thebloggess wrote: 

[Apr 1, 2013 7:28:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inquisition

derailderailderailderailderailderailderailderailderailderailHarrjmderailderailderailderailderailderailderailderailderailderail
Armegin

Dexla's artwork.
[Apr 2, 2013 10:56:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PirateYoHo90

derailderailderailderailderailderailderailderailderailderailHarrjmderailderailderailderailderailderailderailderailderailderail

Just another curious question pertaining to this topic -- according to you all, is it OK for me to put a random string of words that don't make sense to a topic on a thread? (In parley or otherwise)
Tinycat on Cerulean
Disclaimer: I purposely bring drama into peaceful conversations.
[Apr 3, 2013 9:22:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pixulayted

It depends, are the people in that thread:
A) being stupid(this is based on personal judgement)
B) discussing a topic commonly discussed (Faulk them and derail the current thread)
C) fighting, tarting, or gaining post counts for post like "u suc gr3n!3" (...same as A)
Or....
D) you found a cute lolcat that has one word in common with the previous post
E) secret option e: you got bored.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Pixulayted at Apr 3, 2013 9:31:20 PM]
[Apr 3, 2013 9:30:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

Just another curious question pertaining to this topic -- according to you all, is it OK for me to put a random string of words that don't make sense to a topic on a thread? (In parley or otherwise)

Did you ever read Monkeymike's posts? Every single one of them was random words. Of course, English also was not his native language (but his French didn't make much sense either).

If you post "AHAHA purple monkey dishwasher big banana!" in a thread about blockade tactics, people are just going to ignore you. If a thread actually derails, it means probably the derail was more interesting than the original topic. Conversations are organic sorts of things.
Thebloggess wrote: 

[Apr 4, 2013 8:02:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

I've had two people forum banned for personally attacking me/others and for revealing personal information about me. In both cases, I petitioned ingame with a link to the thread and an explanation of why it bothered me (which can be summarised as "it's my damn business") and in both cases the thread was moved or the posts edited very quickly. The OMs are very good about personal attacks.

I've also received one or two warnings via PM about using unfiltered language on the forums. So the OMs are doing a perfectly good job here. The problems really does seem to be that you guys have paper-thin skin and can't take disagreements. You don't own the forums and have no right to tell people not to "derail" your threads. This is a public space, and if I want to turn a thread about politics into a thread about how fantastic Loathe is (she really is), I'm free to do it. If you don't like it, that's too bad.
Evilduck/Superduck.
Emerald, Cerulean, and that other one.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Apr 11, 2013 6:51:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
upgrade431

I've been in many "personal attacks" some of which containing sexual explicit content on both this account and another. One of these has been by the same pirate. There are also a few pirates that intentionally try to post irrelevant things just for fun. As a mostly adult game, I'd personally prefer the forum to be straight to the point, and I know others would as well.

[Apr 11, 2013 10:15:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

Unfortunately for you, it's not your forum, and the OMs won't ban people just because they prevent the forum being the type of place you'd like it to be.

And mostly an adult game? I think you need to grow up a little before you can call it that.
Evilduck/Superduck.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Apr 11, 2013 3:54:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
upgrade431

Well I think people should be mature enough to hold a conversation without throwing in "haha, ur gay nub" or being a complete moron. But as I've already said, I've given up with backing myself up because half the people that comment in here, like in Crip's thread, refuse to believe anything anyone else has to say, or brings back to the same points.

[Apr 11, 2013 3:59:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

Speaking as a gay man, if "haha ur gay" offends you, you really need to grow a thicker skin. Especially if you want to be a part of the internet or the real world. People are going to make baseless accusations like that (or, in my case, baseful accusations) just to piss you off and getting offended only serves to tell them it's working.

But I really think the issue you have is that people are not catering to your preferences. You want the forums to be a certain way and other people do not, so they're not. This isn't really about people being rightfully banned at all, it's about how your idea of being rightfully banned doesn't line up with OOO's. And that sucks, but you have to suck it up.
Evilduck/Superduck.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Apr 11, 2013 4:16:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

Evilduck wrote: 
how fantastic Loathe is

Please, tell me more.
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[Apr 11, 2013 4:21:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

More fantastic than I ever thought was humanly possible.
Evilduck/Superduck.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Apr 11, 2013 4:46:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
upgrade431

Speaking as a gay man, if "haha ur gay" offends you, you really need to grow a thicker skin. Especially if you want to be a part of the internet or the real world. People are going to make baseless accusations like that (or, in my case, baseful accusations) just to piss you off and getting offended only serves to tell them it's working.

But I really think the issue you have is that people are not catering to your preferences. You want the forums to be a certain way and other people do not, so they're not. This isn't really about people being rightfully banned at all, it's about how your idea of being rightfully banned doesn't line up with OOO's. And that sucks, but you have to suck it up.

Dont think so hard about things, I didnt mean people actually saying "haha, ur gay", i was using it as people saying idiotic things in irrelevant context. I have relatively thick skin, but sexual stuff on a public forum is unacceptable, and should be for anyone.

Referring to your "point" of no one wanting the forum to be a certain way is completely off. Once I mentioned this problem to my crewbies, they were outraged that something like this had and would be able to happen. Even my friend, Apolline has suffered through some of these pirate's nonsense.

Sorry, but if you agree with public harassment, somethings wrong with you. I'm also not sure why you'd be tolerant to someone using gay as an insult too, especially as a gay man.

[Apr 11, 2013 6:44:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

It's pretty simple, in the context you gave, it's only being used to get a reaction. Don't give a reaction and the troll/bully will stop. Highschool 101 right there.

And yes, I realise you were talking about general idiotic comments, but my point still stands. If you find idiotic comments like that offensive, a) you need thicker skin, and b) you're perpetuating the behaviour. It's a different story with actual personal attacks, but that's not what you gave an example of.

Referring to your "point" of no one wanting the forum to be a certain way is completely off. Once I mentioned this problem to my crewbies, they were outraged that something like this had and would be able to happen. Even my friend, Apolline has suffered through some of these pirate's nonsense.
I didn't say no one wanted the forum to be a certain way. I said you want the forum to be a certain way and your issue is that the forum is not like that.

I don't agree with public harassment, and if you think the trolling and derailing you've been mentioning amounts to public harassment, you're very privileged. Some of us get a hell of a lot worse than that.
Evilduck/Superduck.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Apr 11, 2013 7:53:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
upgrade431

This has just become a one on one argument, so I am no longer responding to this thread

[Apr 12, 2013 3:29:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pixulayted

This has just become a one on one argument, so I am no longer responding to this thread

[Apr 12, 2013 5:24:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mari_

Seems this thread is more than valid than ever. I've seen people forum banned for a lot less than has been posted over the last 48 hours by various members of a flag on Cerulean.
Calamarie - now also in Obsidian flavour!
Dignity - Emerald

"Always remember... Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots."

The Shadow is in my very core ;)
[May 26, 2013 12:50:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MorganaP

Biggest problem with forum bans, is the charmers than need to be banned, just go and create new accounts. Much like those who ban evade on the game, we have the same pirates trying to stir up garbage on the forums for their own amusement, and when the heat gets to much for them, they simply create a new account and repeat the process.

I doubt that any forum bans will ever stop the trolling, insulting and rabble rousing that goes on.
What makes it even worse is when one forum trouble maker does finally grow bored and leave another is always waiting to take their place.

The most effective way to deal with it, would be the minute a topic turns into a slanging match it is locked, and we as the readers also need to learn not to respond to what is clearly dribble. Just about impossible i know, i'm as guilty as anyone of responding when perhaps i would of been wiser not to.

Morgana
[May 26, 2013 4:57:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Miley1

You would REALLY wish that there were forum bans during the Captainbigbelly boycotting, and the whole thread that really turned out to be a 20+ of page fighting. >.<
Emerald Ocean
I hate Kaltrina
Giamia says, "whats the cheapest familiar besides a rat"
Ladyhollie greeter chats, "the guy who does the shiny voice in treasure haul...is it the same one from the outback commercials
[Jun 3, 2013 2:02:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AOL LOOOOOOOOOL    LOL? [Link]  Go to top 
elbeejay

I know they were used, if sparingly, in the past. I believe I remember Drake from Hunter getting a forum ban some years ago.
-Elbee on Hunter, Sage, Viridian, and Malachite
[Jun 3, 2013 3:13:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 86   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates