• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 86
Posts: 86   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9167 times and has 85 replies Next Thread
upgrade431

Forum Bans- Why Aren't They Used? Reply to this Post

Taken from Forum Help and Rules thread:

Forum Rules
Be respectful and polite. Use of the forums is a privilege, not a right. Bans on the forums will now be permanent. Some of the things which are not allowed to be posted on the forums are:
- Spam or other nonsense that disrupts the forum's formatting, functionality, or usability - including "pyramids".
- Personal attacks--anything intended to insult or belittle the person behind the noseless pirate
- Foul and offensive language, the forums should reflect the same standards as the game. If it's filtered in the game, then it should be filtered on the forums.
- Personal or private information about another player
- Chat logs, PMs and other communication methods without the express posted permission of all participants
- Exploits and any other sensitive information about the game
- Links to cheat or scam sites, malware, fake charities, etc.
- Images as signatures, whether they were technically in the signature or manually pasted in a post.
- Avatars containing blue/navy text which resembles the forum titles given to Three Rings staff only -- as our staff grows, it is necessary to ensure that new members can easily distinguish official staff from players.
- Please keep the forums in the same themes as their oceans. The Opal forums should use German, Jade forums should use Spanish and the Global, Cerulean, Meridian, and Emerald forums should use English. Posts which cannot be read by the moderators will be moved, locked or sunk.

==============================================

Now to take a specific portion of this article:

Use of the forums is a privilege, not a right. Bans on the forums will now be permanent.

My question is this.... why are forums bans not occurring for those who on multiple occasions break the rules? Rules are in place for a reason, and should be acted upon.

Those who break the rules in-game are punished by suspension once a complaint has been sent. After their suspension time is up, they are prompted to type something along the lines of "I will not... [insert reason for ban]". When a permanent ban takes place, said pirate is allowed to fight this ban by sending an email to support.

It seems as though when a complaint is sent about someone on the forum, an OM whooshes in, edits the wrong-doing in the post, and the end. I wouldn't know, maybe there is some sort of message sent to the offending pirate telling them to stop, but as far as I've seen in my time on YPP, nothing much happens.

Eurydice and others were hired to keep on top of the forum, but to be completely honest, I haven't seem much posting from any of the Community Managers. I think its time to either re-write the forum rules, or start reinforcing them.
----------------------------------------
-Upgradde on Cerulean and Emerald Ocean

-My words are my own, and are not a representation of others.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by upgrade431 at Mar 29, 2013 9:44:07 PM]
[Mar 29, 2013 9:42:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

Re: Forum Bans- Why Aren't They Used? Reply to this Post

Plenty of people have been forum banned. Plenty of people have had warnings stating if they keep on doing X, they will be forum banned. While you may not see it, it is happening.
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[Mar 29, 2013 9:47:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PirateYoHo90

My question is this.... why are forums bans not occurring for those who on multiple occasions break the rules? Rules are in place for a reason, and should be acted upon.

I have definitely had a few personal attacks over forums by the same people. If people are supposed to "be respectful and polite" why do I not feel it when there are posts belittling my words?

I recently had a case where there were a few people belittling my forum post. They did not get banned from forums. Their posts were not deleted. My entire thread got moved instead. I feel as if I was the one to get punished for their disrespectful words. (yes I did send in /complaints through game as suggested by the Ocean Master online at the time)

Eurydice and others were hired to keep on top of the forum, but to be completely honest, I haven't seem much posting from any of the Community Managers. I think its time to either re-write the forum rules, or start reinforcing them.

I am seeing a lot of posts edited in the past few months by community managers, and Ocean Masters in charge of their specific threads. However, I have yet to see one to be banned.

--------------

I wish there were a system that after 2 or 3 warnings, a pirate who breaks the rules could get a 6-12 month ban from forums, if not longer.

Thanks for posting this thread, I believe this issue really needs to be looked into by the proper authorities on the game.
Tinycat on Cerulean
Disclaimer: I purposely bring drama into peaceful conversations.
[Mar 29, 2013 9:48:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
upgrade431

There are many cases that are not resulting in a ban, though. That is the problem with the rules. Are there some people who the rules just dont apply to? If so, thats not fair at all.

[Mar 29, 2013 9:49:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pillagerdcb

You are allowed to voice your opinion as long as no one else is threatened by it.
[Mar 29, 2013 9:50:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PirateYoHo90

Plenty of people have been forum banned. Plenty of people have had warnings stating if they keep on doing X, they will be forum banned. While you may not see it, it is happening.

I know of 3 specific people on my ocean which have had multiple forum posts edited by OM's. They are still stalking the forums and breaking rules. They just broke this rule a few hours ago:

- Personal attacks--anything intended to insult or belittle the person behind the noseless pirate

Tinycat on Cerulean
[Mar 29, 2013 9:50:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
upgrade431

You are allowed to voice your opinion as long as no one else is threatened by it.

And when they are voicing their opinion and breaking the rules while doing it, what should happen?

[Mar 29, 2013 9:51:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pillagerdcb

Breaking the rules how exactly?
[Mar 29, 2013 9:51:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
upgrade431

- Spam or other nonsense that disrupts the forum's formatting, functionality, or usability - including "pyramids".
- Foul and offensive language, the forums should reflect the same standards as the game. If it's filtered in the game, then it should be filtered on the forums.
- Personal or private information about another player
- Chat logs, PMs and other communication methods without the express posted permission of all participants
- Exploits and any other sensitive information about the game
- Links to cheat or scam sites, malware, fake charities, etc.
- Images as signatures, whether they were technically in the signature or manually pasted in a post.
- Avatars containing blue/navy text which resembles the forum titles given to Three Rings staff only -- as our staff grows, it is necessary to ensure that new members can easily distinguish official staff from players.

[Mar 29, 2013 9:52:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pillagerdcb

Usually warnings and post-edits will be done, usually stopping the aggressor.
[Mar 29, 2013 9:54:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PirateYoHo90

BAD EXAMPLE WAS REMOVED

Another someone just put a chatlog of a pirate without that pirates express permission in their signature. That to me would fall under

Tinycat on Cerulean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by PirateYoHo90 at Mar 29, 2013 10:27:14 PM]
[Mar 29, 2013 9:54:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
upgrade431

As we speak, a pirate is changing his signature that contain fake chats that are not only insulting, but degrading. This is the 2nd time TODAY that this pirate has broken the rules in the forum.

Not only have I sent them a PM asking them to stop, but recieved a reply stating it will get worse. Where is the action, YPP?

[Mar 29, 2013 9:58:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

Someone stated they did not want to build shoppe's if they wanted to take an island. The response from one of these players is:

"You could not build a shoppe, even if you wanted to"

I just went and looked at the post. It's on a blockade intent for a medium where.... no new shoppes can be built.

If anyone thinks that is a personal attack, then I don't even know what to think.
Loathe/Forever.

[Mar 29, 2013 10:06:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
upgrade431

Someone stated they did not want to build shoppe's if they wanted to take an island. The response from one of these players is:

I just went and looked at the post. It's on a blockade intent for a medium where.... no new shoppes can be built.

If anyone thinks that is a personal attack, then I don't even know what to think.

I dont believe that was a good example, but I do know that that specific pirate has been one of those who has broken the rules multiple times. I could go to a thread and link you with a better example of their personal attacks.

[Mar 29, 2013 10:11:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PirateYoHo90

Does a person have to go out of their way and say it in such a mean way? Do you consider sarcasm pleasant?

EDIT: =(
Tinycat on Cerulean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by PirateYoHo90 at Mar 29, 2013 10:14:20 PM]
[Mar 29, 2013 10:12:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pixulayted

To help with the speculation on forum rules being enforced, I've been suspended on multiple occasions for verbalizing my opinions on three rings, lately. Most of it in GD, which is a joke anyways.

Also, Upgrade, trolls will live forever, your PMs just fuel them.
[Mar 29, 2013 10:15:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dwizzles

I can think of a few people in this thread I wouldn't mind seeing forum banned. :/
-Dwizzles
Captain of Skeletons
King of Illuminatti
[Mar 29, 2013 10:16:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pixulayted

I can think of a few people in this thread I wouldn't mind seeing forum banned. :/

<3

it seems as though when a complaint is sent about someone on the forum, an OM whooshes in, edits the wrong-doing in the post, and the end. I wouldn't know, maybe there is some sort of message sent to the offending pirate telling them to stop, but as far as I've seen in my time on YPP, nothing much happens.

They send you in-game messages, and they make you type something saying 'I won't do X again.'
[Mar 29, 2013 10:18:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
upgrade431

Although trolls do live forever, there is a way to manage them by preventing them from further posting. By enforcing the rules more strictly, making the forum a PRIVILEGE, people will avoid breaking the rules. Or if they do decide to break the rules, they will be punished.

[Mar 29, 2013 10:18:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
upgrade431

Still waiting for my trolls to step up to their actions

[Mar 29, 2013 10:20:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

I'm going to link to something you might find handy if you really dislike reading some people's posts that much. Not sure if it still works, as I don't use it... but maybe I should.

As for "You could not build a shoppe, even if you wanted to"... I don't even see how that sounds mean. It's a statement, it's not sarcastic. It's the truth.

Mute for the forums.
Loathe/Forever.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by randomact at Mar 29, 2013 10:25:26 PM]
[Mar 29, 2013 10:22:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pixulayted

Still waiting for my trolls to step up to their actions

[Mar 29, 2013 10:22:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
upgrade431

Doesnt look like whatever it is still works... got an error message.

I cant remember when, but i sent a petition in-game to get a forum mute against someone, but if i remember correctly, they said that wasnt possible. Even if it was, muting the player doesnt stop the problem, if just disallows you to see it happening.

[Mar 29, 2013 10:24:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PirateYoHo90

I'm going to link to something you might find handy if you really dislike reading some people's posts that much. Not sure if it still works, as I don't use it... but maybe I should.

As for "You could not build a shoppe, even if you wanted to"... I don't even see how that sounds mean. It's a statement, it's not sarcastic. It's the truth.

Mute for the forums.

1- the thread did not work for me
2- Even if I could mute on forums, I would want to see what people say about me on forums since they are a public place
3- I used a bad example. What do you think of the second? What do you think of the very first example I posted a little higher?
4- Thank you <3
Tinycat on Cerulean
[Mar 29, 2013 10:26:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

I'm not sure you really want to know what I think, to be honest.
Loathe/Forever.

[Mar 29, 2013 10:28:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PirateYoHo90

Haha okay :)
Tinycat on Cerulean
[Mar 29, 2013 10:29:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
upgrade431

Im curious to hear what you think.

[Mar 29, 2013 10:30:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

2- Even if I could mute on forums, I would want to see what people say about me on forums since they are a public place

Okay wait a minute. You want to see what people say about you. Unless you think it might be mean or make you feel bad even if it was a statement of fact, then they should be banned and not allowed to say it.

So you only want to see people saying nice things to you. Honey, are you sure you want to be on the internet?
Redjenny, Now merged with Health Nutz
Thebloggess wrote: 
A hug is like a strangle you haven't finished yet!

[Mar 29, 2013 10:30:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
upgrade431

Okay wait a minute. You want to see what people say about you. Unless you think it might be mean or make you feel bad even if it was a statement of fact, then they should be banned and not allowed to say it.

So you only want to see people saying nice things to you. Honey, are you sure you want to be on the internet?

I think she is referring to if other people can see said pirate harrassing her, she'd want to be able to see the post too

[Mar 29, 2013 10:32:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

I think she is referring to if other people can see said pirate harrassing her, she'd want to be able to see the post too

I can't say I really get that either. Why raise your blood pressure to no good purpose? But it seems like her definition of "harassment" and "belittling" are very extreme. "You can't build a shoppe even if you want to" is not "belittling the person behind the pirate". That would be an attack on the person, not the post or the idea.

For example, if there WAS room to build and I said "You can't build a shoppe because you're ugly and your mother dresses you funny", NOW I have attacked the person behind the pirate.
Redjenny, Now merged with Health Nutz
Thebloggess wrote: 
A hug is like a strangle you haven't finished yet!

[Mar 29, 2013 10:36:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 86   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates