• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 56
Posts: 56   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8186 times and has 55 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background -Beasts o' the Isles and Seas Edition [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Ahoy mates! It's portrait background time!

Winners!

Theme:
This month's theme is "Beasts o' the Isles and Seas": krakens, sirens, sea dragons, sea devils, sea monsters and other unknown horrors that lurk in the deeps, and loom at the edges of the oceans.... things unexplained and feared by pirates everywhere. Woe betide the sailor that encounters them! Note that this more focused on the pirate superstitions of sea creatures rather than normal sea life. Make sure the theme includes piracy or maritime activities and environments around these mighty real or imaginary foes. You can use any aspect of these themes as the inspiration for your portrait background.

Submissions:
Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size. The preferred file format is .png
Entries must fit the appropriate scale.

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170
Expansive backgrounds: 2000 x 1275

Reworking entries:
To update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry. If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. We don't want anyone laboring on some amazing art that has to be ignored because of this.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.
You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.

Upload your images to the YPPedia, name the file according to the naming scheme listed there, and also post links to the thumbnails here in this thread, for comment. If you want your pirate name to appear rather than your account name should you win, please follow the image tag scheme below carefully.

Instructions for destination filename
The arrtists have requested a change to the naming of files uploaded to YPPedia for this contest. This naming scheme may not be the same as the general YPPedia file upload scheme, but we're hoping that it's distinctive enough that it won't cause undue confusion. Note that this is in addition to the requirements for the image tags.
Requested format for the filenames on YPPedia:
monthly_yourname_title_the_way_you_want_to_appear_in_game.png
All in lower-case and put underscores between all the separate words in the title

(YPPedia will change the first m into M - don't worry about this). So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Clotho's Tangled Threads, I would use:
monthly_clotho_tangled_threads.png

Instructions for tags in the summary field
The tag for this contest is "apr13contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload, then, should be:
{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|Portrait Title}}
where
"contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag shown below, "accountname" is replaced by your own forum name
"creditname" is replaced by either your forum name again, or your pirate name, whichever you want credited with the background
"Portrait Title" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background

e.g. {{apr13contest|Clotho|Spinner|Loom}}
or {{apr13contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|Spindle}}

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice.
e.g. {{apr13contest|Clotho|Clotho|Tangled Threads}}

Judging:
Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors.

The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the arrrtists and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if the background didn't win, it can be submitted for future contests as long as it fits the theme within each contest. Go ahead and enter past entries if you wish, however, you shouldn't submit crops of past backgrounds that have already had a win and have been seen in game before.

Prizes:
A winning entry will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds, usually for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it is available. Each winning entrant will also receive a Puzzle Pirates real-life item and a pack of playing cards in the mail, a free copy of his/her portrait in-game, choice of Bluebeard, Fishheadred or Greenbones egg or doll, and a clothing item of her choice in the color(s) of her choice.

The clothing item can be any item that can be ordered from a tailoring shoppe without needing a design or reputation. In the event of the same artist winning multiple prizes or multiple months, an additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the artist does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.

Deadline:
April 15th 2013, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions:
-- Make it look like it came right out of the game.
--Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure.
--Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art.
--Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use.
--Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.
--A very small signature in the lower right corner is acceptable.
--In general avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.
--Pay close attention to your composition - the composition of backgrounds related to pirate placement is a major consideration and sometimes otherwise good backgrounds are eliminated because the nicest elements are blocked by the pirates once they are in frame.

Other suggestions and links:
Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!

Edit:
* added a note about the focus of this edition (more focused on the pirate superstitions of sea creatures rather than normal sea life.)
* Clarification on re-submitting an entry if it hasn't won in the past.

----------------------------------------

Hilando las hebras de la vida pirata...
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Clotho at Apr 17, 2013 6:01:01 PM]

[Mar 16, 2013 8:19:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background -Beasts o' the Isles and Seas Edition [Deadline April 15th] Reply to this Post

Ooh, ooh, ooh! I can revive my ancient kraken idea now. c:
Cattrin of Midnight Cerulean (and sometimes Viridian Meridian)
Avatar by Apollo, Wiske, Shawe, Blakbead, Daeva, Bunnylaroo and Musicologist!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Mar 16, 2013 8:41:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background -Beasts o' the Isles and Seas Edition [Deadline April 15th] Reply to this Post

!!!!!!YAYYAYYAYAYAYAYAYA!!!!! I LoooooooOOOoooOVVVVEEEEEeee fantasy BEASTY themes!!!!! /e goes digging diving for her worst nightmares
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Mar 16, 2013 8:44:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

this sounds awesome o.o i'm glad I have a week of break I can doodle

Dibs on a whale >.>
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Edit 1 times, last edit by XEcastasy at Mar 16, 2013 8:26:26 PM]
[Mar 16, 2013 10:25:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
keviv

Yay! I might be able to give this one a try!
Keviv
Hunter
Avvie by Mr. Music
[Mar 16, 2013 8:47:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PirateYoHo90

haha now this i'm truly excited for!!!
Tinycat on Cerulean
Clotho tells ye, "those have to happen naturally, one can't force genius to spawn!"
Hera tells ye, "Fake me!?"
Galene tells ye, "*me steals your choco monkey*"
[Mar 16, 2013 9:42:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Snow day today, decided to start an idea.

[full size]

None of the colours are adjusted for the atmosphere yet, just eyedropped from a GF. :p

Making it the largest size for now, can always shrink it later.

Massive whirlpools, scarier than krakens?

A smaller kraken-themed one (refurbished idea I had a while ago, what happened to that?)...could be a two or one person, I haven't decided yet.

Any comments are appreciated.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by cattrin at Mar 19, 2013 10:46:47 AM]
[Mar 19, 2013 10:43:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

I want to do flying fish...
The normal kind, not fantastic creatures.
Is that beast-like enough?
Wayfarer of Meridian, formerly Malachite.
Wuppypuppy of Cerulean :)
I make avatars.
[Mar 19, 2013 4:20:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

As i was thinking "sigh... i dont have enough imagination to come up with a great idea" that "great idea" slapped me in the face XD

._. The question is o-e will i be able to make it? xD

Btw cattrin i like the krakens :o
Yumisa World Wide ;)
Your Favourite Cookie Monster <3op
Can't find me? Im on Deviant Art!
[Mar 19, 2013 4:56:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phamy

I think I am going to enter my first ever made background for this again... just to see what will happen...

and who doesn't love a kraken... love yours Catt I am also gonna try one :) bit different than yours though...

ok scary sea monsters... I am going to think about that for a while
[Mar 20, 2013 4:48:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

The normal kind, not fantastic creatures. Is that beast-like enough?

This edition is more focused on the pirate superstitions of sea creatures rather than normal sea life.

[Mar 20, 2013 9:11:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

:(
Okay
The fish looked stupid anyway xD

*claps*

Creativity time.
I make avatars.
[Mar 20, 2013 10:07:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
seleennn

I know he is too cute to be a BEAST .. but..

Doesn't he remind you our lovely sea monster Triketos ? <.< O well he does to me :P started this earlier today
and..

yea i have to work on tail but this guy is just an example , so its ok :P

First Question is Dock or Ship Deck ? - couldnt decide..
And major part of that trik will stay behind of pirates so adding a bellator on top of it would be a good idea or not ?
Is the size of Trik good or i should draw him bigger or smaller ? or is it looks so close to dock/ship w/e :P any feedback would be awesome :) thanks in advance !
Seleenn on Meridian
The Evil Twin of Boysenberry ;)

[Mar 22, 2013 10:57:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

Ship deck! I don't think trikes get close to any port other than citadels.
Or..
Citadel o.o Or one of those little atlantean hut things? That would be so pretty... light blue marble with a railing or something?

I'd also say a tiny bit bigger, and maybe oriented slightly more downward, so it looks more like a falling arc and less like a belly flop. Either that, or much more upward, like the dolphin.

I think a bellator would be wicked cool, if you could make it look good in relation to the configuration of pirates. Riding on its back with a raised trident..

I can see this looking amazing :)
Also, hi xD
Good luck <3
I make avatars.
[Mar 22, 2013 11:16:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
seleennn

Thank for feedback WayWay !! :) worked some more on ship tonight but still cant place the trik there,maybe i should try another sea monster .. anyway here is my last work, if u see anything that looks wrong/bad let me know :P

Seleenn on Meridian
The Evil Twin of Boysenberry ;)

[Mar 22, 2013 3:16:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

Maybe you could have it kinda shooting towards the viewer rather than parallel to it? Something huge...
I dunno. It looks so peaceful right now, I can't imagine a monster xD
What I see already is good though. I love those subtle shadows behind the bars.
I make avatars.
[Mar 22, 2013 3:41:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

textures >.<
Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian
Clotho tells ye, "I love your musical art, thank you for sharing!"

Avvy by the awesome Velternal!
[Mar 25, 2013 9:59:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

A reminder and clarification: While it's encouraged to submit previous entries that didn't win, please don't submit crops of backgrounds that have already won in the past, as those will not be considered as potential winners.

Make sure to only submit work when it's a new idea or if it is one of your past works that has not previously won. Take special care not to use referenced material and make sure that the background fits the current theme and the game as much as possible! In an effort to clarify this directive, I've edited the instructions in the OP, please feel free to comment if the wording needs further tweaks:

Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if the background didn't win, it can be submitted for future contests as long as it fits the theme within each contest. Go ahead and enter past entries if you wish, however, you shouldn't submit crops of past backgrounds that have already had a win and have been seen in game before.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Clotho at Mar 27, 2013 7:04:58 PM]

[Mar 27, 2013 7:04:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Greyleggy

While it's encouraged to submit previous entries that didn't win, please don't submit crops of backgrounds that have already won in the past, as those will not be considered as potential winners.

Does this mean that we cannot submit a single version of a double that previously won? I do not mean a straight crop, but rather a single with the same components rearranged to fit the single size. I have had both single and double versions of the same scene selected before. They were not crops, but rather re-worked for a single size. Is this still acceptable?
Greyleggy, ova-egg-chieving eggs-ample of egg-stremely egg-scrutiating puns! Scrambler of your egg-votes for the 2013 People's Choice Awards.

Avatar by the Amazing Adrielle! I miss ye Addy!! <3
[Mar 27, 2013 8:27:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

While it's encouraged to submit previous entries that didn't win, please don't submit crops of backgrounds that have already won in the past, as those will not be considered as potential winners.

Does this mean that we cannot submit a single version of a double that previously won? I do not mean a straight crop, but rather a single with the same components rearranged to fit the single size. I have had both single and double versions of the same scene selected before. They were not crops, but rather re-worked for a single size. Is this still acceptable?

If it's significantly different than the original winner, then I don't think it's a problem. Ideas do evolve and take their own signature, after all! What we are trying to achieve is a wider variety in the portraits that are implemented in game.

[Mar 28, 2013 7:25:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PirateYoHo90

What do yall think?? Can you help me by critiquing it and stuff?

Just to introduce myself to this -- I just got an iPad sketch program and am still new to digital art and am thus not really good at shading yet.

As for the pic, it has an invisible pirate in the background so I know where it will be cropped. You can sort of see her, but she will be removed after :)

Tinycat on Cerulean
Clotho tells ye, "those have to happen naturally, one can't force genius to spawn!"
[Mar 29, 2013 5:38:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PirateYoHo90

Arrr....Did I post this in the wrong thread for help??????? I'm new to the world of YPP art forums!!

I take all of my (many) classes online. Today, I posted my history discussion in the math discussion board....and you can't delete your posts on the school site :(
Tinycat on Cerulean
[Mar 31, 2013 6:25:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Arrr....Did I post this in the wrong thread for help??????? I'm new to the world of YPP art forums!!

Nope this is the right thread, don't worry.

Being it Easter Weekend a lot of us are with family or slowly succumbing to a chocolate-bunny-induced coma.

It's a good concept, but what I think is probably the most important thing to work on would be trying to match, or reference, YPP's art style. Line weight (how thick the lines are) and the general drawing style would both be a good thing to be in-tune with when drawing a background that will go in-game along with YPP's art.

[Perhaps take a look at YPP's dragon familiar] and base your aquatic creature off a modified version of this? Try to give defintion to the facial features, such as a snout, shape, or lack there of, of ears, pronounced eyebrows, long teeth, flared nostrils.

Keep in mind as well that dragons and sea serpents are typically based off of reptilian or aquatic animals, meaning hard skin, shells, beaks, nonvisible ears and slitted pupils might be included.

Maybe even go farther and choose a specific type of scale: [fish] [snake] [specifically a water-living snake]

Think about where your creature lives, what they eat, etc and reference animals in similar ecosystems or lifestyles in order to achieve a realistic and believable beasty :)

Considering also that we just had a snake-related contest a few months back, giving it a bit different appearance may also be a thing to think about.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by cattrin at Mar 31, 2013 6:45:25 PM]
[Mar 31, 2013 6:32:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Aloha Apolline :)

Another thing I would add to cattrin's advice would be to partially submerge the sea serpent below the water...if its partially submerged you may still be able to see it under the water depending on teh water clarity; however it would still be muted/distorted by the water. (if that makes sense)

Also adding shadows to the serpents curvature would make it seem less flat...adding highlights/light to where the sun may hit it. Great concept and idea though ^_^

(look me up in game if you want more clarification ~.^)
[Mar 31, 2013 6:45:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phamy

So I finally got an idea for this theme!!

I decided to go on another route and honor the monsters of the Atlantean...

So I am making Stained Glass window background. In which we see the 3 monsters...

I am still working on the outlining but I wanted you to see how far I am :)

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5120/backgroundstainedglassm.jpg
[Apr 2, 2013 12:29:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

oh wow phamy ! that will be amazing when done ^_^
[Apr 2, 2013 12:41:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jippeh14

Evil squish of doom! Still in its very early days - eventually the ship will be smashed up squishy rampage style and perhaps a cannon floating around on the deck.

Jippy of Meridian
[Apr 2, 2013 9:14:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phamy

Jippe I really like the color and the mood you set... but the tentacle coming through the gap in the ship just looks... well... How do I put this... it looks like it comes from the genitals...
I think if you move it too the Right or left this impression would dissapear...
But I love the eyes... keep the eyes!!

Ok so I finally finished the window outlines... I am just not sure about the shell of the Gor... any suggestions?

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5120/backgroundstainedglassm.jpg

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5120/backgroundstainedglassm.jpg

I finished!!!!
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/5120/backgroundstainedglassm.jpg
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Phamy at Apr 7, 2013 2:00:07 PM]
[Apr 5, 2013 12:49:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pixierain486

First time attemptin at a portrait background contest :O Pretty awesome entries so far!

I'm a bit new to the YPPedia though and I'm not sure if I uploaded/submitted my entry correctly, it can currently be viewed at http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/File:Monthly_Blissful_Horrors_Of_The_Deep.png but it's not being displayed on the current entries page for some reason; Would really appreciate if anyone can give me help on how this works, thanks :)

Good luck everyone!
*~* Scythera of Meridian(Viridian) Ocean *~*
(formerly Blissful)
Previous pirate(2006): Risa

-Avatar drawn by me(accepting requests)
[Apr 13, 2013 1:54:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.youtube.com/user/Pixierain4 [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Your summery was empty. You probably forgot to add that when you first submitted your background. This can be fixed if you select 'edit' on top of your entry page and enter the summary, {{apr13contest|pixierain486|blissful|horrorsofthedeep}} in this case.
I already fixed it for you, it's showing up fine now.

Btw great avatar and lovely background.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Apr 13, 2013 2:55:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 56   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates