• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 11
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5291 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
TexasBeesh

SEGA does not have YPP listed as a game... Reply to this Post

http://forums.sega.com/

Are they embarrassed?

Pixulayted found this:

The studio's proven ability to create compelling virtual worlds will be an integral part of SEGA's continued growth into the online gaming space. In the short term, the companies will focus on continuing to grow and support the current hit, Spiral Knights, and launching with BBC Worldwide the much-anticipated MMO based on the world-famous BBC Sci Fi series Doctor Who.

Pixulayted wrote:

Sega doesn't care about ypp as much as SK, if at all.

I looked and did not find it anywhere on their site other than "SEGA ACQUIRES THREE RINGS" image of YPP and SK...that's all just the image. I even did a search.

This is really really upsetting. Maybe I am not looking hard enough, can anyone else find it?
----------------------------------------
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by TexasBeesh at Mar 15, 2013 8:41:23 AM]
[Mar 15, 2013 8:40:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pixulayted

Re: SEGA does not have YPP listed as a game... Reply to this Post

Sega only helped launch SK, they are not associated with puzzle pirates.

Captain Cleaver wrote: 

SEGA and Three Rings partnered to launch Spiral Knights, building a deep trust and mutual respect over the past year.

Three Rings will continue to operate as a self-contained development studio inside the SEGA family and will continue to be managed by myself and my colleague Tom Schofield.

I'm tremendously proud of the games we've made over the last ten years.

edit: fun links about how much ypp doesn't matter to anyone but those playing it:

http://www.threerings.net/sega/
http://www.sega.com/news/?n=5470

oh and by the way, they did post about ypp on the sega website , and used faked screen shots and edited them beyond ypp possibilities(to try to look like WoW (In the "Inn" scene)).

I also remember that one huge team sf I did with out a table..... and talking and lounging on the cursed islands in the bright day time....

edit: ignore the bad quality of my 30second cut/paste photo.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Pixulayted at Mar 15, 2013 11:35:58 AM]
[Mar 15, 2013 11:20:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

Three Rings will continue to operate as a self-contained development studio inside the SEGA family and will continue to be managed by myself and my colleague Tom Schofield.

So SEGA supports SK, along with Dr. Who. Just not YPP....or whirled and I don't really count whirled.

I guess I can see why OOO puts a lot of effort into the other 2 being under SEGA.

But OOO is still under SEGA and therefore I am sure SEGA has some say in how development is used.

I hope you will continue to sail with our crew and fleet under a new flag for many years to come.
Does not sound like OOO is the king of the castle...or ship anymore. Due to this there isn't much that we can do except write to SEGA as you have done. Sure they are their own crew but they don't run the monarch and decided when to blockade.

I do think they are trying, but I have read some amazing post with wonderful ideas and zero feed back. So I think it we need to go to the Monarch for this.

YPP just isn't advertised anymore. I love this game very much and although I push for people I know to play...it's not enough.

EDIT - some good points:

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=140811&offset=200#2583846
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by TexasBeesh at Mar 15, 2013 1:24:39 PM]
[Mar 15, 2013 1:21:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

But OOO is still under SEGA and therefore I am sure SEGA has some say in how development is used.

Not necessarily. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Before I start, a quick disclaimer: I have been disappointed by the pace of development of YPP and the general lack of feedback from developers in the forums. I'm not arguing against that-- just this one point. Now, back to the point in hand:

I have worked for many years for an entertainment company based in the US, that was purchased by a company based out of Japan a significant time ago. No, not Sega, though our parent company occasionally works with them. Anyway... our parent company has, I'm afraid, had a love-hate relationship with this particular daughter company. The economic possibilities that they purchased us for changed not terribly long after they purchased us. And as a result, they've never gotten the return they were hoping for as they bought us. This has lead (most years) to total indifference to what we do, so long as we don't need any money from them, to (other years) them sending us some enthusiastic lad who's going to turn us around by doing it the Japanese Way.

Every single time that's happened, we weathered the storm, then eventually went back to doing it the American Way, and the bright young lad returned to Japan with his youthful idealism... tempered by reality, and (hopefully) a dose of humility.

Sega may well be saying to OOO "Do whatever you want with this one, just don't lose money with it." Or they may be trying to micromanage OOO from a distance. I've seen my company's parent company try both approaches, and unless you know what to look for, you won't know which approach they're trying at the moment. I'm betting that the same thing holds true for this: unless you know exactly what to look for, it'll be hard to tell which condition holds true.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Mar 15, 2013 6:13:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PhoenyxStar

I also remember that one huge team sf I did with out a table.....

Psst! That "team SF" was done on a ship... you know PvP without a blockade board? You can tell by the black blocks on the bottom. And it's an OLD screenshot as well. I've seen it before on this site.

They may have been stuck on the flickr site last year but they're older than that.

Haven't been in CI enough to know if it ever becomes daylight on the island but considering that they're "stock screenshots" consider that they were possibly staged and a dev fiddled the lighting for it.
~ Phoenix or Danae

Depends on the colour of your ocean really.
[Mar 16, 2013 6:58:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Haven't been in CI enough to know if it ever becomes daylight on the island but considering that they're "stock screenshots" consider that they were possibly staged and a dev fiddled the lighting for it.

The board and island are always surrounded by darkness, but during Ice testing, the darkness didn't exist (at least judging by one of the screenshots on the YPPedia).
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Mar 17, 2013 4:44:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

As the person who took that screenshot on the wiki, I can honestly say no OM or Ringer was involved - it was just like that at the time. Probably about time I updated it, though...
[Mar 17, 2013 8:54:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PhantomNuke

Would anyone like to volunteer the origin of this rum jug? Or indeed which piece might have been struck to create this pattern of available moves?

(An official Steam screenshot)
Game Design: A place to hide all your posts from OOO employees.
[Mar 22, 2013 4:42:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pixulayted

Would anyone like to volunteer the origin of this rum jug? Or indeed which piece might have been struck to create this pattern of available moves?
(An official Steam screenshot)

I want a board like that.
Also what piece makes those highlighted yellow pieces possible(including the Q struck).
[Mar 22, 2013 9:29:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

I like how Redherring is able to spectate the Blacksmithing session (that looks like game chat).
Tanonev on all oceans; currently exploring Meridian.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Mar 23, 2013 12:24:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Aye, I caught that one. I was wondering why noone else had commented on it. =P
[Mar 23, 2013 12:42:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates