• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 10
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7987 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
Bunnylaroo

Springtime Art Event Idea (Feedback stage) Reply to this Post

After enjoying many events run by the seasoned experts, I'd like to try my hand at a little event, now that I've got an (albeit weird) idea, and I'm in the "feedback" stage...

So, I've still got Yetis on the brain, 3 months after their debut in game, so I have an idea for a little art contest. The quoted portion below is what I'm thinking of running. It was inspired by Adrielle's "Change the Leopard's Spots" event, which I had a lot of fun with, in the sense that it involves taking an in-game item and portraying it in a different scenario.

My questions/concerns:

1.I know I'm a yeti freak, but I believe there may be others >.> Will the event have a wide enough appeal, or will people be like "LOL U SO CRAZY BUNNEH"?

2.Since I would like this event to run for all oceans, I would need OM support for prize delivery. However, the first prize I had in mind, a Frost Class Longship, is an item that requires a design, and from this I infer that OMs don't provide prizes that require designs - I would be providing the ship myself, not asking them to provide it, but I'm wondering if that means they won't deliver such prizes. If that is the case, does anyone have a suggestion for a substitute first prize that fits thematically? I was thinking perhaps a Verdant Class something or other if the Frost can't happen...
Thanks for the answers :)

3.I'm looking for volunteer judges to join the Yeti appreciation Society :)

An Art Contest!

If you're anything like me, you were thrilled by the arrival of the adorominable Yeti dolls in December. We've had three long, cold winter months to cuddle our Yeti dolls indoors, but the snow has melted, the flowers are blooming, Spring has sprung - and the Yeti's have cabin fever! The sun is out, and the yetis are ready for some springtime fun - and it's up to you to give it to them!

What you need to do:

- Create a 2D image, either drawn by hand and scanned/photographed or created digitally, of a Yeti Doll in a spring setting, engaging in your favorite springtime activity!
Gathering flowers, having a picnic, flying a kite - the activity is up to you, but your entry must include a Yeti Doll!

- Your image should be no more than 600 x 600 pixels in size and should be posted in image tags in the entry thread. (If you need an explanation of how image tags work, PM me and I will be happy to show you)

- All artwork must be your own and created for this contest (so please don't screenshot your Yeti Doll and photoshop him into your garden).

- Please make sure your image is forum appropriate.

Prizes:

Other than the sheer joy of taking your Yeti on an outing, you'll have a chance at the following prizes:

* 1st Prize: A custom renamed Frost Class Longship, a Yeti Doll, and an inscribed trinket.
* 2nd Prize: A sloop painted in yeti colors (I was thinking red/white/light blue), a Yeti Doll, and an inscribed trinket
* 3rd Prize: A furniture package (open to suggestions, but was thinking: sofa (light blue/white) fancy end table, vase with wildflowers (light blue)), a Yeti Doll, and an inscribed trinket.
* Honorable mentions will receive a Yeti Doll and an inscribed trinket (and yes, I really do have that many Yeti Dolls to provide as prizes :P)

Judging
Entries will be judged based on the quality of your artwork and how well you interpret the theme.

Please post any questions you have in this thread :D

Ideally I would like to run this event in April or May, but if there are problems/ things needing work I suppose it could just be moved up to a Yeti Summer Vacation...
----------------------------------------
Bunnylaroo of Sage Emerald

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Bunnylaroo at Mar 6, 2013 10:43:32 AM]
[Mar 5, 2013 9:10:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

Re: Springtime Art Event Idea (Feedback stage) Reply to this Post

Sneaking in with an answer before I've read it through...

I'm fairly sure the rogue ship link was a request for OMs to provide, not deliver. I'm sure I've had a rogue sloop prize delivered before (waaaay back in the sun and the cinder imp. Will find a link later, I'm out just now playing the Waiting Game), and also a ... thing. Mead vat, I think, which needs Viking trinkets. From my poor memory of that one, I think Apollo had to think about it but the trinkets are common enough that it passed. I'll check my old eventy emails before you take any of this as gospel, though :)

Anyway, you can always ask - if it's a problem, they'll probably negotiate rather than knock it back outright.

Also. YAY.
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[Mar 5, 2013 10:47:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

I had several prizes delivered that OMs dont provide because it needs a design or comes out of an smh. I just gave a snake and madam yu banner away as well as an assortment of ci stuff on opal.

I personally think that a yeti in summer would be funnier but spring sounds great too.
As my artistic arts are not that great, Id volunteer for judging if you need someone for the amateur chair.;)
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Mar 6, 2013 1:30:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

If the host is providing the prizes (as long as the event/other requirements qualify, etc.) we will usually help deliver those prizes.
[Mar 6, 2013 10:12:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

Thanks for the feedback guys! (I haven't sent an event proposal yet because I'm trying to iron out the kinks first :))

Aeternis, I would love to have you as a judge! And I agree that yetis in the summer would be hilarious, but spring is a better time for me :/

Couple more things:

- I'm planning on a 4 week run time - is that about right?

- Does anyone have a judging rubric for art contests? Because I think that will be the hardest part...

[Mar 6, 2013 10:41:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

- Does anyone have a judging rubric for art contests? Because I think that will be the hardest part...

Judging anything is always hard.

Primarily - it needs to clearly meet the criteria of the contest. Yeti + springtime.
A Yeti fighting zombies at CI... well yes, it is doing an activity outside of it's normal setting, but is it necessarily springtime?

The rest falls on the tastes of you and the judges, and the rubric can be whatever you want it to be. From something as simple as "I like it, I like this one better, I like that one, but not as much..." and you put them in the order of "which would you want hanging over the mantle of your fireplace."

Or, you can be more complicated and use numbers and points and percentages "Technique=20%, Ingenuity=75%, detail = 5%" (or something like it) because some people need number scores. But I find that makes my head hurt and no one wants to hear they were 1 point away from winning something.

You know how they always say, art is subjective, you can go with gut feelings. There's usually one that makes me want to squeal "OMG that's so freakin' clever!!" and I will love it, even if it's not technically rendered as well as another.

3-4 weeks is plenty for an art contest imo.
Dexla d'Midnight
[Mar 6, 2013 11:41:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

I think 4 weeks is enough.

I usually use a hidden! number score for my art events with the points awarded per category chosen to match the event. And I always allow the judge to award bonus points for no reason, ie personal liking.

That has 2 reasons.
First I want people to participate with something they think of because it fits the theme. Not because they think it hits the categories best.
Second I want to have a better way to compare the judges judgement than just an order of 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

For this theme I'd say (without really thinking about it and probably taking other variants after thinking it through)

hits the theme 10
Cuteness 10
Makes me laugh 10
artistic skill 15
personal liking 5
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Mar 6, 2013 12:49:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

I think this is a great idea Bunny, I agree with what was said about having set things that award points to help with judging, Angelira ran a awesome art event last year (the BK one, cant remember but its in the mariners muse somewhere) and you could possibly also ask her judges how they judged and ask her as well since she has experience with art events. I also think that 4 weeks is plenty time for a art event :D Good luck with running this ^_^
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Mar 21, 2013 3:39:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

Thanks for the input Pixelpixie! I looked back at Angelira's event during the planning stage :)

Event is a go :) See you April 1st. Get your yeti ready!

[Mar 21, 2013 9:28:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

yay! /e starts posing her yeti for ideas ^_^
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Mar 26, 2013 11:08:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates